This One Time, I was playing ________

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quincy
Post some cool moments, or things you've done in a game that you consider pretty kickass. Maybe it was a sweet headshot, maybe you got a Flawless Victory on some ******* in MK, or maybe you trapped some poor sucker using your wits.

This one time, I was playing Left 4 Dead, and my cousing and I were on the roof of Mercy Hospital. It was the moment in the game where you have to prepare to fight a horde of zombies. Luckily, we found 3 propane tanks, and surrounded ourselves inside of a small room. When the horde attacked, we blazed their asses.

Unfortunately however, we soon found ourselves completely outnumbered, and as the helicopter came to our rescue, I was pulled aside by a group of zombies. There were dozens mauling me, and with the last ounce of strength I had, I dropped a pipe bomb dead center.

And blew myself and the rest of them to hell, while my friends escaped.

SaTsuJiN
This one time.. I was playing Goldeneye 007 for N64..

it was 2v2, and the opposing team was camping that damned bathroom on the facility level(?).. and I somehow managed to sneak in behind one of them before they shut the door after their routine ammo collection

did them dirty from behind, with mah good old buddy, the cougar magnum

Then another time in the same game.. my friend was at the bottom level of the 3 level library level, scavenging for ammo.. meanwhile I was peppering the cieling, walls and floor with remote mines... needless to say when he got to the center of the 1st floor room, the framerate dropped to about 1fps... smells like chicken ;D

Mairuzu
Was playing SOCOM: Confrontation and there were 5 people on the opposing team left alive and I was the only one on my team alive.

They had the bomb and they were well on their way to plant it, so i hid behind a bush at the bomb site and killed them all, thank god for heavy armor and sliencers

Striding Cloud
This one time i was playing Gears of War. And my friends on my team had died. So it was me vs the other four. And i picked up the sniper. Blindfired someone with the sniper. Then they knew where i was and were surrounding me. So i started wallbouncing like hell. And shot my sniper popped one guys head off. Pulled out my shotgun and kept wallbouncing and blew the other two up. I clutched threw every game that night! big grin

Nemesis X
One time when I played Bioshock, a Big Daddy floated in mid air and fired grenades at me and I died. Damn glitches.

BackFire
The other day when I was playing Gears of War 2 I killed the entire enemy team at once with a single ink grenade.

It was fun, one of the few times the grenade actually did something.

And another time in Gears 2, I killed the entire enemy team when I was the last one alive with a bunch of planted grenades.

I'm a grenade ****.

And another time, in World of Warcraft, way back when the level cap was 60, I was leveling my first rogue, I was level 50 and killed a level 60 rogue and his level 52 friend by myself.

Quincy
This one time, I was playing Burst Limit and I was pretty new to the game. Apparentely, you can instantly dodge behind people when you enter some rage mode or something.

I was playing this dick online and he would continually use that to beat me. I'd kick his ass, and then at the end he'd keep using his gay teleport to instantly knock me back. So when we were down to just a hit or so left, what does he do?

Rage mode. He's gonna teleport. So right when he transforms, I charge up the "Solar Flare" (a blinding move) and the second he appears behind me, blind his ass. Then super move for the finish.

He didn't want to play me again.

(I enjoyed burst limit. I'll admit to the nerdiness.)

Zack Fair
Got to admit that L4D thing sounds badass as hell.

k1Lla441
this one time, i was playing nfl street.

i was playing a pick up game at ea field and happened to get larry csonka as my running back. I picked a run play starting running the ball. got a stiff arm, then a broken tackle on the wall, then another stiff arm. I continued to run, got another broken tackle, then another stiff arm, and then dove for the touchdown. And i was playing against a team with good d, too.

Quincy
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Got to admit that L4D thing sounds badass as hell.

I do what I can.

ragesRemorse
This one time back when Castlevania; Symphony of the night first came out my friend and i played through the entire game for two days straight until we beat the game. We didn't realize that we completed all 206% of the map. After beating the game with the holy glasses which we acquired by happenstance we were rewarded with the upside down castle. It was our first time playing the game and we didn't read any strat guides or tips. that was the most professional accomplishment of my gaming history.

jaden101
once playing GTA4 online i heard a car engine noise and turned around to see a car ploughing straight toward me with 4 people inside...i had the RPG equipped and fired, catching just underneath the front of the car...i watched as the car flipped and flew just over my head upside down.

another time playing GTA4 i was listening in on 2 friends, one of whom had never flew the helicoptors at all...so i followed them to the helipad on the middle island...waited until he got in and was just taking off and them blasted the heli with an RPG...then i got kicked out the game laughing

Quincy
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
This one time back when Castlevania; Symphony of the night first came out my friend and i played through the entire game for two days straight until we beat the game. We didn't realize that we completed all 206% of the map. After beating the game with the holy glasses which we acquired by happenstance we were rewarded with the upside down castle. It was our first time playing the game and we didn't read any strat guides or tips. that was the most professional accomplishment of my gaming history.

That's pretty damn sweet.

Digi
This one time, at band camp.....

...I was doing this chick in the pooter....

....and then I found 5 dollars.

no expression

True Story.

Bardock42
In her pooter?

Nemesis X
Completely off topic here and by the way, I scored a 20 dollar bill while I was walking outside. True story.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Quincy
This one time, I was playing Burst Limit and I was pretty new to the game. Apparentely, you can instantly dodge behind people when you enter some rage mode or something.

I was playing this dick online and he would continually use that to beat me. I'd kick his ass, and then at the end he'd keep using his gay teleport to instantly knock me back. So when we were down to just a hit or so left, what does he do?

Rage mode. He's gonna teleport. So right when he transforms, I charge up the "Solar Flare" (a blinding move) and the second he appears behind me, blind his ass. Then super move for the finish.

He didn't want to play me again.

(I enjoyed burst limit. I'll admit to the nerdiness.)

Do you have to use the word "gay" derogatively in every single post?

Darth Vicious
This one time in Team Slayer (Halo 3) in High Ground I had just gotten the rocket launcher and the invisibility, I was heading to blow a guy that was lasering my boy. I jump in the roof in top of the torrent and he jumps down. I fire a rocket were he was and noticed that his 3 boys were in the same spot. I got them all with one rocket and got my very first extermination medal.Yay!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Do you have to use the word "gay" derogatively in every single post? I knew you'd go all gay about it.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Bardock42
I knew you'd go all gay about it.

Dang. Pwned!

Raoul
Thought there was a thread like this before, and some of these are very old, but...

HALO online (yes the first one), i was the gunner on the back of the warthog in that L shaped map, we had just captured the flag and were being chased by an enemy warthog...

i fired a rocket (from the turret on the jeep), it hit the front right wheel of the enemy jeep sending it into a barrel roll, killing all three occupants...

Pro Evolution Soccer 4, my brother and all his friends love this game, so one day a bunch of em are in the house and they challenge me to a winner stays on tournament... i beat every single one of them, i actually had to give up after i beat the final one...

The first time i used a tow cable on the snowspeeder to pull down an AT-AT in Star Wars: Battlefront/Battlefront 2... on co-op...

Playing Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube... one of the greatest games ever made imo...

Anywho... i'm backed into a corner, and a group of enemies are fast approaching... then i spot it... one of the guys is holding a stick of dynamite... just as he goes to throw it i fire, detonating it in his hand... killed like 8 guys with one bullet... yes i felt especially smug afterwards...

DOW: Soulstorm... As Space Marines, fighting the Ork's on their home map. Four and a half hours of bloody slaughter, slowly making my way across the map. When i won, i just sat there and took a breath or twenty...

Digi
Originally posted by Bardock42
In her pooter?

Yes. Pooter.

no expression

THE JLRTENJAC
Gears of War 2 (Horde mode)

I was running through a small open area on one of the maps (Can't remember the name but the map was at a t-intersection in a city, with a sink-hole in the center). Anyway, I was ambushed by 2 drones, 2 wretches, and a Butcher. I pulled out my shot gun and, doing a spin, blew the faces off both of the drones, the whiped out the lancer and circled around the butcher, firing into its face, then I took a grenate and tossed it inbetween the two wretches, blowing them both up...

however, not long after that I chainsawed a... can't remember what they are called, but they are the ones that scream, and in the time it took to chainsaw him, three drones surrounded me and... dispached of me...

Raijin
Ok, this one time when I was playing GTA4 I was flying a chopper trying to get a away from the police and some friends chasing after me, a rocket flies past me and bam, explodes in midair and the chopper starts burning. I'm pretty far up in the sky so I start looking for water to bail out and land in, I find the central park with its pond or whatever. I bail out, fall, hoping to land in the water but I end up missing it by a whole lot and I land right on a parkbench with an old woman on it and I survive... for a few seconds then a friend snipes me from a mile away.

MadMel
quote recently, i was playing a clan match on star wars BF2...clean sweep...won every single game, all but 1 by capping..

that and this time, years ago when i was sniping with a grenade launcher (you read correctly), pulling off insane fluke shots...until i got sniped from the other side of kamino by our best sniper stick out tongue

Peach
Sniping with grenade launchers is fun stick out tongue

Also, last night when I was playing Guild Wars, I was doing a quest and at one point laughed and immediately hit print screen This is why:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/crystalicstar/gw041.jpg

See all of those little red dots on the mini-map in the corner? Those are enemies. The green star was where I needed to get to. There were even MORE enemies that were just out of the map's coverage.

That was probably the fastest I have not only died, but wiped out the entire party.

Raoul
Originally posted by Peach
Sniping with grenade launchers is fun stick out tongue

Also, last night when I was playing Guild Wars, I was doing a quest and at one point laughed and immediately hit print screen This is why:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/crystalicstar/gw041.jpg

See all of those little red dots on the mini-map in the corner? Those are enemies. The green star was where I needed to get to. There were even MORE enemies that were just out of the map's coverage.

That was probably the fastest I have not only died, but wiped out the entire party.

laughing out loud

never played guild wars...

BackFire
WoW's better.

*runs off*

Peach
WoW has too many stupid people and it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay a fee to play a game I've already paid for stick out tongue

BackFire
Stupid people in Guild Wars as well, just as many, ratio wise, from my experience.

Guild Wars is solid, though. Just never been able to really get into it.

Peach
Very easy to avoid the stupidity in GW, though. You only have to deal with others when you want to stick out tongue

I'm actually surprised at how into it I've gotten. I'll just blame Ush, I think.

Plutonic_Hat90
I'm with Backfire on this one

*also runs off*

BackFire
Originally posted by Peach
Very easy to avoid the stupidity in GW, though. You only have to deal with others when you want to stick out tongue

I'm actually surprised at how into it I've gotten. I'll just blame Ush, I think.

Same in WoW, I mostly play by myself. Can't remember the last time I grouped with complete strangers.

Ushgarak
Yes, but in WoW you might well still run into idiots out in the big wide world, which is actively impossible in GW because no-one else exists once you skip town. But don't worry- they are putting a 'meet the idiots' function back in for GW2!!!

(This is a comment about persistent worlds or otherwise)

Gah. Well, I'm not normally an MMO fan as grinding/post-delivery questing ticks me off, but a. being anti-grind, b. being very much co-op with friends focussed and c. having no FEE allows me to forgive whatever other faults it may have. And frankly I was surprised how much I liked it. Meanwhile, I'll never have any interest in an MMO with WoW's grind level, whuch is really just part of squeezing the cash out of you. I am happy to concede that Lineage and FFXI are worse, but WoW is still guility. Honestly... I find it hard to believe there is an MMO out there that is worth the monthly fee (and hence all the stuff they make you keep doing in order to keep people paying) in comparison to... not having such a fee.

I think my best gaming story is when I cocked up fighting Ganon in Ocarina of Time for the first time and was certain I was going to die and half to do the whole frigging tower bit again, but then with immense gaming skill and timing (read: sheer luck and I half-fumbled the contoller) Link did this amazing roll between his legs and a perfect death-strike into the guy's tail to finish it with me on half a heart left. Wish I'd taped that.

BackFire
WoW doesn't have a traditional MMO grind if you don't want it to, it used to, but they've fixed it up wonderfully so you can pretty much just quest your way to 80, and many quests have good storylines and lore components, so while in a technical sense it's still grinding (killing monsters and so on) it feels much less tedious because there is a more immediate feeling of satisfaction than just killing a million monsters for the sake of gaining a level, and you get most of your EXP from turning in quests as opposed to killing monsters.

For me the monthly fee is worth it in WoW just for the great persistent and seamless world that you get, no load times between zones unless you cross continents, makes the world feel a lot more cohesive. There surely is an appeal though to Guild Wars method of making a zone just for you and your party, and WoW's latest expansion has employed a similar method, but I enjoy the unpredictable aspect of a persistent world shared by many. Few things are more fun for me than walking along and seeing an enemy player walking towards me, and we both stop and look at eachother for a moment, then charge one another and battle.

And while Guild Wars only has 20 levels, and you can level up pretty quickly, to me it felt more like a grind to get there than it did to get to WoW's level cap.

Of course, Guild Wars being free is always a nice incentive.

Ushgarak
Ah, well, in like-for-like 'it got better' declarations, the other two Guild Wars campaigns made levelling to 20 some five times faster, in response to comments about its slowness in the original. Still, the basic concept is that grinding gets you nowhere (you get to level 20 in Guild Wars by completing quests, not killing monsters which is worth almost nothing), and the game is about the storyline and acquiting new skills rather than just monster hunting. It is not perfect but I do prefer the base philosophy.

In fact I am not entirely convinced levels have any purpose in MMOs any more. other than fulfilling a need to keep people playing and so paying for fee-based games, levels basically just seem an obstacle between where you start the game and where you can actually play it properly.

GW's model has effectively broken itself though (and not just because they over-powered the importance of Monks). They themselves freely admit this. GW was meant to be sustained by consant expansions. But by the time they were making the third one, they realised that they were having to layer on more mechanics each time, and the game would eventually turn into a bloated mess.

They needed to start from scratch to make it proof from such bloat in future, hence making Eye of the North as a pure expansion rather than a new starting camapign in order to 'finish' GW and then get the sequel going- which will have the persistent world, yet still be free which... makes no darn sense to me.

(It will also have other races- whch I am not sold on. Something distinctive about GW was how, with the expansions in, you chose a culture rather than a race. I thought that was neat).

Trouble is... EotN is more than a year old now (and even that came after a year of no releases, which was too long- they actually cancelled the original fourth campaign due to the bloat issue) and still no sign of even the GW2 beta. So GW has been static for a long time now, which is something it cannot actually afford to be- certainly not in a way WoW COULD become relatively static (and indeed, has expansions at a much slower rate than GW because they are not really needed- which seems an ironic thing to say what with the new one and all but it is still true).

So it is all very well me liking GW right now having only got into it a few months back but as a general online project its slowly dying without new stuff, and people that have been playing for years must feel there's nothing left. Perhaps more importantly, without new expansions coming it is not making any money!. Which is obviously a problem.

BackFire
Levels do seem to be becoming more trivial. I mean, in GW you can make a level 20 character right away which I thought was an awesome idea, and now WoW employs a similar aspect with the Death Knight, allowing you to make a level 55 character right off the bat (only if you have another level 55 character, but I have a feeling that restriction will be lifted at some point). I won't be surprised if in 10 years levels will be obsolete. After all, most people in WoW get to the level cap pretty quickly, and the incentive to keep going is getting better gear.

But yeah, I have a friend who has been playing GW since launch, and he's grown tired of it, he mostly just logs in now once a week out of habbit. I would like to try the Guild Wars expansions, though. The new classes they added seemed pretty neat. And now that they're pretty cheap maybe I'll pick them up.

Ushgarak
For sure, with the low price you can get the campaigns for now, there is an enormous amount of gameplay value in there.

The auto-lvl 20 characters in GW are sadly PvP only, which is not quite my bag. They they exist do indeed show what a rather redundant concept levelling was though, even with GW's limited amount of it.

Better skills, better gear, plot development... all much better reasons to play a game than levelling, I feel.

Digi
There's stupid people in any online game. I found a cool guild in WoW though, and I rarely have to deal with the moronic teenage fodder. Lana has a point though. If you don't have lots of friends/guild members to play with, the random-group crapshoot can be frustrating.

Ush, I have a similar Zelda story from Twilight Princess. I always make it a goal (and usually fail at it) to beat the final boss on the first try in any game I play. It makes it more fun to actually go for the win early, instead of simply figuring out patterns for later attempts. I had slowly worked through his various stages, and was on the final incarnation of Ganon, but with far too little life to hope to succeed. There were rocks on the ground that were breakable, and I was down to half a heart and was scrambling around breaking them for lack of a better plan. The final rock contained a fairy that rejuvenated me entirely. I kinda chuckled at my luck, turned and faced Ganon, and whupped his ass.

Peach
Originally posted by BackFire
Levels do seem to be becoming more trivial. I mean, in GW you can make a level 20 character right away which I thought was an awesome idea, and now WoW employs a similar aspect with the Death Knight, allowing you to make a level 55 character right off the bat (only if you have another level 55 character, but I have a feeling that restriction will be lifted at some point). I won't be surprised if in 10 years levels will be obsolete. After all, most people in WoW get to the level cap pretty quickly, and the incentive to keep going is getting better gear.

But yeah, I have a friend who has been playing GW since launch, and he's grown tired of it, he mostly just logs in now once a week out of habbit. I would like to try the Guild Wars expansions, though. The new classes they added seemed pretty neat. And now that they're pretty cheap maybe I'll pick them up.

Get Factions! Then you can play with us (and I like the classes available in it - Assassins are fun and Ritualists are just plain awesome). And it's very easy to level up in that campaign - my character I use the most is level 16 and I'm actually under-levelled for where I'm at (I'm so going to die a billion horrible deaths in the next plot mission I do, haha). My only complaint about it is the absolute insane spike in difficulty once you leave the island you start on and hit the mainland. Went from level 14-15 bad guys in the last area/mission on the island to level 20 baddies EVERYWHERE that were kicking me all over with no difficulty. And that was even with having my brother run me through to the first major town there. Probably didn't help that I was dumb and only level 13 when I made it there, but yeah. At least there's a ton of not terribly difficult quests there to do. My other main character has a lot less playtime and is level 14. I plan on levelling her up a bit more before going to the mainland but she'll likely have less trouble anyway. So yeah, levelling is pretty easy.

My other complaint is much more petty, and that is that the armor I want is taunting me. Can't afford it (though I have nearly enough money), and more importantly, don't have the materials for it. Damn you better armor!

And continuing the Zelda stories theme...the first time I fought Ganondorf in OoT, I ran out of magic from trying to shoot him with the arrows (first time I played it, hadn't gotten good at aiming yet). So I got pissed off and had to restart because there were no jars left around. Second time, I ran out AGAIN. I got even more annoyed, but happened to find one last jar hidden away. And it had magic! Just enough for me to shoot one last arrow at Ganondorf which was all that was needed. Wheeee.

BackFire
Yeah I was talking to Ush about the game earlier, I think I'll get Factions and maybe Nightfall if I can find them. I think I'd like the assassin, sounds like my kinda class.

Peach
Haha, awesome. Assassins are fun. A bit tricky to work correctly (as Ush has lectured me about), but fun. My Assassin character is the one I play the most, though I think my Ritualist is my favorite. That profession just has really awesome spells that cover everything (offense, defense, support, etc).

I still need to pick up Nightfall. Maybe after Christmas I'll get it.

Burning thought
ime curious is guild wars armour more asthetic still than actual use? I remember when i hit level 20 and was looking at the best armour that it wasnt that much better than my current, it just looked much better..

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by jaden101
once playing GTA4 online i heard a car engine noise and turned around to see a car ploughing straight toward me with 4 people inside...i had the RPG equipped and fired, catching just underneath the front of the car...i watched as the car flipped and flew just over my head upside down.

another time playing GTA4 i was listening in on 2 friends, one of whom had never flew the helicoptors at all...so i followed them to the helipad on the middle island...waited until he got in and was just taking off and them blasted the heli with an RPG...then i got kicked out the game laughing

laughing thats aces

i liked getting picked up by friends in the helicopter and pulling a pin on a grenade. they really don't like that.

I remember playing vice city, getting on top of cars and chainsawing people through the hood as they drove.

Nemesis X
One time on Halo 3, a guy was T bagging a player and while he was busy, I shot him in the back of the head with a sniper and he fell on that player and then the scene just looked awkward so I threw a plasma grenade on them and watched those two corpses flying and before they hit the ground, a warthog comes out of nowhere and slams into the bodies and they went flying again and before they landed, I threw another grenade and they flew again. Strange enough, one of the bodies got stuck on a hornet and that player was trying to shake the body off but it wouldn't so I helped that guy buy shooting a rocket launcher at it. The hornet went down and that player was pissed. He appeared back in the game and I told him "Well at least that body over there got off your ship" and he swatted me with a gravity hammer. The jackass.

MadMel
rofl stick out tongue

i was playing ssbb online, i pulled off a spike-corpse-kill with snake..
basically we were on final destination..i threw mario backwards over the left edge and spiked him..he hit yoshi as he was trying to get back up and they both went down laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.