Peak Oil & Oil Crash the life after.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok
Some interesting Links

http://www.whatispeakoil.com/
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Its not a conspiracy, but a fact. This could be why the major car manufacturers have to change their ways rapid fashion, or go down.
gHKp5vF_VoE

Magee
Yes the oil will run out, I'm sure we all knew that?

No worries, honda have made an electric car powered by hydrogen. Give it ten years until we can easily seperate the hydrogen from water and problem solved.

Wild Shadow
i though we already could

alternate mode of transportation

AngryManatee
Gordon Murray's T.25 ftw

http://www.gizmag.com/gordon-murrays-t25-car-reaches-halfway-development-milestone/9590/

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Magee
No worries, honda have made an electric car powered by hydrogen. Give it ten years until we can easily seperate the hydrogen from water and problem solved.

I know a physicist who would like to point out the obvious problems with hydrogen fuel at . . . well pretty much every level.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I know a physicist who would like to point out the obvious problems with hydrogen fuel at . . . well pretty much every level.

Technically the fuel would be water, which would be synthesized into hydrogen during use. The major problem (that I know of, anyway) is that Hydrogen Fuel Cells are still both carbon and energy negative. It takes more power to separate the Hydrogen from its Oxygen atom than it produces. Also, the production of fuel cells produces far more CO2 than the car saves during its lifetime.

There is no danger that I know of with hydrogen fuel cell cars, so unless you are trying to 'psyche out' the public (OH NOES! HYDROGEN EXPLODICATES! OH THE HUMANITY) then I can't imagine that there are any serious objections to the technology, other than the fact that it isn't viable yet.

Robtard

How do we know it will, and more importantly, when will it run out?

The rarer something is, the more expensive it will be, generally speaking. It's in OPEC's (and other oil producers) best interest for their product to be seen as not only "limited", but close to being gone. No different than De Beers and the diamond trade.

"Control the spice, control the universe."

jaden101

someone's been watching far too much top gear stick out tongue

jaden101
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Technically the fuel would be water, which would be synthesized into hydrogen during use. The major problem (that I know of, anyway) is that Hydrogen Fuel Cells are still both carbon and energy negative. It takes more power to separate the Hydrogen from its Oxygen atom than it produces. Also, the production of fuel cells produces far more CO2 than the car saves during its lifetime.

There is no danger that I know of with hydrogen fuel cell cars, so unless you are trying to 'psyche out' the public (OH NOES! HYDROGEN EXPLODICATES! OH THE HUMANITY) then I can't imagine that there are any serious objections to the technology, other than the fact that it isn't viable yet.

with some sacrificial anodes, you can actually split water efficiently...the problem is that the anodes themselves are usually made from extremely expensive and very finite components and mining for the right minirels would destroy most of the planet.

Ruthenium is the preferred choice of catalyst for separating water into hydrogen and helium

then, of course there's the electricity needed to power the catalytic break up....

this is where hydrogen fuel cell cars would become viable (from an enviromental standpoint)....when all electricity is generated from clean sources.

Magee
Originally posted by jaden101
someone's been watching far too much top gear stick out tongue You can never watch to much top gear. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.