Fitness and Health Shows v. Surgery shows

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

justdecent
After watching biggest loser for over a year now I've found that I've actually started applying some diet and exercise tips from shows like this such as celebrity fit club. Then I think about all the people watching the Swan and Xtreme makeover, and I just think about what kind of mentality that's reinforcing . . ." the only way to be beautiful is to go under the knife. Change your outsides, never mind your insides."
What do you think which type of show do you prefer? Why?

Captain REX
I have to agree with you. While I am not big on watching reality television, shows like Biggest Loser aren't so bad and they are actually carrying a good message of goal-setting and achieving your goals through hard work, whereas other shows say that it takes money and fashion sense and even surgery to get what you want.

justdecent
Thanks for replying. I posted this thread because some friends and i were talking about this very thing and they argued that the contestants of the Swan and Extreme Makeover undergo counseling before surgery, and deal with issues other than weight so they aren't just solving their problems with sutures. but i beg to differ i don't think they've had enough counseling if their chief concern is getting their ears pinned back.

PS. Love the avatar.

idowhatiamtold
I don't think that diet and exercise is the only answer especially not for people who really just want a rhinoplasty to give them that self esteem boost they need. But when it comes to which kind of show i prefer to watch- I definitely opt for a show like the biggest loser. I just like seeing the contestants reach their goals on and off the show.

GrillingNemo
Its funny you should mention building your own support group because my mom just entered a weight loss challenge in her office. She is doing well, so far she has lost like 15 lbs.

Have you seen any commercials for the show diet tribe on lifetime? Its also like a homemade over eater support group type theme. the therapist from celeb fit club is on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3OqEhpQls

Also there's the national body challenge on discovery health..anyone seen ads for this?

Anyway the over all consensus seems to be that weight loss is easier when you have a support system in place.

bigloss75
I was over weight, then one day I joined one of those adult football leagues, and now I just makes sure I'm always on a team. I think my past athleticism really inspired my new lifestyle.

I did actually happen to watch that show diet tribe last night by the way. I think its crazy how all those women began indulging and over eating together, but it makes sense. What did you think of it ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.