Maximus VS Leonidus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

k1Lla441
Maximus from Gladiator

VS

Leonidus from 300.

Seems like a pretty good fight to me? Both experienced, both have went through or come close to death, both have excellent fighting skills.

It is a straight out duel to the death. Both are given a spear, sword, and shield. they are both in a standard arena.

Rogue Jedi
If there are spears involved, Leonidas owns. If it is sword against sword, Maximus pwns.

GCG
very tough call. im undecided for now

k1Lla441
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
If there are spears involved, Leonidas owns. If it is sword against sword, Maximus pwns.
They can use there sword or spear at there own free will, so maximus with a sword is what he would prolly prefer, and leonidas with a spear is what i think he would pick.

Originally posted by GCG
very tough call. im undecided for now
Thats why i made the match, to good fighters.

six6six
Personally, I'd have to go with Leonidus on this one. Sure, Maximus is awesome in battle, however, Leonidus has been trained and built to be a fighting machine since he was born. Good match up though, I just gotta go with Leonidus on this one. Off the thread though, I think Achilles could take both Leonidus & Maximus, not at the same time, but 1 on 1 going by the skills he showed in Troy.

Robtard
Two things:

1) Thread has already been made, I believe.
2) Leonidas is far superior in every aspect, he was shown to be somewhat superhuman in the movie, while Maximus was shown to just be an exceptionally good fighter.

ThunderGodEneru
Leonidas wins all out, sword against sword Maximus takes it, spear against spear...Lol. Leonidas owns.

Robtard
Why do people think Leonidas isn't up to par with Maximus on the sword? He fought multiple opponents and quickly dispatched them, just as Maximus, he was also strong enough to cut completely through a guys thigh with one swipe.

ragesRemorse
This is a very tough call. I have to disregard the inhuman strength and endurance that Leonidas displayed in 300. It is only fair to do so. What we saw in 300 was an exaggerated inspirational tale being told to soldiers on the eve of battle. However, he was still a Spartan and the commander of his troops who managed to survive several days against a monstrous Army. Both men are battle hardened and possess, probably, the same type of training. The Romans adopted everything from War technology and strategies to philosophy from the Greeks. Maximus has undoubtedly received similar training as that of Leonidas along with revised tactics. These two men are most likely evenly matched. They both fight along side of their men in battle and have almost the same exact training and equipment. Maximus would probably be more familiar with the feel of a blade where Leonidas would probably be more comfortable with his spear but this isn't to say that either cannot professionally handle each others preferred weapon. This one could go either way.

the only thing that might give leonidas the edge is the size of his shield. Although the Romans copied the Greeks and Spartans curved shield, theirs was much larger and bulky. This would make it harder for Leonidas to divorce Maximas from his shield but his smaller shield would allow him to move quicker. So, that would either be an advantage or disadvantage but, personally, i think it would be an advantage.

Robtard
Why would you disregard the fantasy aspects of a fantasy movie and call it fair, while not gimping the opponent in turn? Leonidas was portrayed as being more than human, that's how it is.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by k1Lla441
They can use there sword or spear at there own free will, so maximus with a sword is what he would prolly prefer, and leonidas with a spear is what i think he would pick.

Thats why i made the match, to good fighters. Then Leonidas wins, naturally he is gonna go with the spear.

Ahsoka Tano
Of what I've seen of 300, leonidus' strength was fighting along side of the other 299.

Super human strength? I really don't know about that. I saw leonidas' strength reside with all of his men together, as a unit.

Maximus was somewhat of a loner throughout the movie, except of course the beginning.

He fought maybe a few men at a time? He even had help in a scenario or two. When he did have a fight to death scenario in Rome, it was against a wash-up and a coward king.

Imo, leonidus wins in either scenario. He was made and raised to kill.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Robtard
Why would you disregard the fantasy aspects of a fantasy movie and call it fair, while not gimping the opponent in turn? Leonidas was portrayed as being more than human, that's how it is.

I don't think there is much to disregard because he wasn't really superhuman. I wasn't taking anything away from his feats i was just trying to say that i am looking at this bout in the most realistic light as possible.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano
When he did have a fight to death scenario in Rome, it was against a wash-up and a coward king.

It's hardly fair to even bring that up. Maximus was severely wounded before that fight. A wound that caused his death a few moments later. Considering how he killed Commodus (a well trained swordsman) with such a debilitating wound, it is presumable that he would have taken that fight with the greatest of ease had he been healthy.

Discos
Leonidus, thats the answer for me dude.

He has superior skills in combat, Maximus is such a warrior tho and has more of a drive to succeed.

But yeah as someone else mentioned, Achilles would have won both of them over

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I don't think there is much to disregard because he wasn't really superhuman. I wasn't taking anything away from his feats i was just trying to say that i am looking at this bout in the most realistic light as possible. The movie had twelve foot Persians taking arrowsw to the head, and Xerxes was a nine foot transexual.

The movie is not based on realism.

Rogue Jedi
Will Maximus be fighting with the same fury as he did in the movie?

k1Lla441
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Will Maximus be fighting with the same fury as he did in the movie?

If by fury you mean a good reason and passion to fight, then yes.

Lets put it like this: Before the fight, maximus comes and disrespects all spartans for the name of xerxes, right in leonidas' face and rides away on his horse.. That pisses leonidas off.

Lets also pretend maximus' family is still alive. For the disrespect that maximus gave to leonidas, he goes and kills maximus' whole family.

There, 2 driving forces for this fight. 1 year later they meet up, both by themselves, with 1 spear, 1 sword, and 1 shield, and fight to the death.

Now do you guys' answers stay the same?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
The movie had twelve foot Persians taking arrowsw to the head, and Xerxes was a nine foot transexual.

The movie is not based on realism.

yeah, thats why i said (twice) that i was going to disregard that aspect of the film.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by k1Lla441
If by fury you mean a good reason and passion to fight, then yes.

Lets put it like this: Before the fight, maximus comes and disrespects all spartans for the name of xerxes, right in leonidas' face and rides away on his horse.. That pisses leonidas off.

Lets also pretend maximus' family is still alive. For the disrespect that maximus gave to leonidas, he goes and kills maximus' whole family.

There, 2 driving forces for this fight. 1 year later they meet up, both by themselves, with 1 spear, 1 sword, and 1 shield, and fight to the death.

Now do you guys' answers stay the same? Yeah you cant do that.

ragesRemorse
Actually, Maximus had no will to fight after the death of his family. The only reason he chose to fight, well thats open for interpretation. The prospect of revenge wasn't introduced to him until the last act of the movie and his fighting prowess didn't change any. I think whether he is fighting for the glory of Rome, survival or revenge of his family he is going to be the same warrior, like wise for Leonidas. Aggression or any other type of emotion is not going to suddenly give a warrior abilities they never had. If anything it is going to make them sloppy. Aggression and the will to survive may help to cloud pain but in real life, fury doesn't make a person a more skilled fighter.

ThunderGodEneru
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yeah, thats why i said (twice) that i was going to disregard that aspect of the film. Why?

That's stupid.

Robtard
Why?

That's stupid.

E.G. In any Hulk Vs. fight, we'll have to disregard the Hulk aspect and from now on it will be Bruce Banner, the brilliant scientist, doing the fighting.

ragesRemorse
Why?

That's stupid.

because i think the concept of pitting a top class Spartan and a top class Roman general who used to be a centurion makes for a very interesting fight. I think something like that could offer much interesting debate. Using both movies as a visual guide of certain abilities as well as what we know about Spartan and Roman soldiers this thread could have life and more depth than just, Leonidas wins because he displayed inhuman endurance and strength. I never thought that looking at this fight in a more realistic light would take much away from Leonidas in the first place. It is not impossible to remove limbs or decapitate people in a single strike. Other than that the only real questionable feats that Leonidas displayed was his strength. AGAIN, i was never dispelling any of Leonidas' feats in the movie. I was simply giving people who wanted to discuss this fight in more realistic terms the opportunity.

ThunderGodEneru
But then you are not arguing Leonidas, you are arguing for a top class Spartan guy, when Leonidas is much more.

ragesRemorse
No he isn't and no i'm not but whatever i chose Leonidas for the win anyway so, im just going to agree to disagree.

Rogue Jedi
Speed against power.

ragesRemorse
I chose Leonidas just because he was trained by a Gym Jones disciple. That means he has masterful conditioning wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.