Quentin Tarantino

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roleplay
Lover? Hater? Favourite film? What do you think of Quentin Tarantino?

Inspired by having seen Death Proof last week and thinking it was ****ing amazing, I found it surprising there wasn't already a Tarantino thread in this forum. I still think Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies ever, and Reservoir Dogs not far behind, I think his ability to pick a soundtrack is unparalleled, and we all know about the dialogue. Does anyone hate that style of dialogue, or think it's some of the best they've heard? I'm in the latter camp.

vintageSW77
People say he just steals stuff.
Who cares.
Death Proof is a fantastic flick as is everything else hes directed.
I cant wait for Basterds and its going to be interesting to see his first flick with its own score as opposed to tracks he stolen from other movies....but thank god he does that as ive discovered a lot of musicians and movies through his use of other peoples tracks.

Impediment
Death Proof was mediocre, in my opinion.

He's a good writer/director, but he's a very sub-par actor.

Tourist
death proof was garbage. quite frankly if that movie rocked your world then i'm surprised that his previous works didn't give you an aneurysm. =D

though in all seriousness i can see how someone could enjoy it, it just wasn't my cup of red bull.

generally speaking, i do love the dialogue in his movies. after living in so-cal for over 5 years and having to endure hordes of people that speak as though they are either A. trying to stay young at 40 by regurgitating whatever slang is popular with the gangbanger-lite kiddies these days, or B. consulting their pocket thesaurus every other word in a desperate attempt to sound more educated than they actually are while completely screwing it up, i appreciate any well-thought out dialogue between individuals, even if its only on screen.

final note - i do agree with Mr. Impediment above me: good writer/director, but crap actor in general.

vintageSW77
I dont think its a classic by any means but compared to the majority of total shite that has been in the theatres over the past couple of years its a gem.
I had a few beers last week,stuck DP in the dvd player and had a very good time watching it.
As for his acting i never take QT serious,my reaction whenever QT pops up in a flick is usually laughter....but not at his acting skills its just the parts he picks for himself are usually arses and he is better at playing an arse than most of the top draw actors knocking about.
As for the dialogue in QTs films whilst great its movie chatter only and much like the going downhill since 1993 Kevin Smith movies the dialogues clever but who the **** talks like that in real life?

Master Crimzon
What can I say? He's Quentin Tarantino. The modern master of style and wit (Pulp Fiction's and Kill Bill's script is my all-time favorite). He just needs to learn to give his stories a little more substance and emotion, that's all.

Though both Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction are among my all-time favorites, so I guess he's doing a great job anyway.

Death Proof is a good movie. Nothing more. I don't think it was really meant to be something great, honestly.

bogen
Tarantino can direct no doubt, he can't act that's for sure.
But nothing he's ever done has really impacted on me personally.
Closest he came was of course reservoir dogs.
That was a good movie.
To me, i see what he does as a bid at popularity.
It's nothing you can really take to bed with you so to speak.

Not enough drivving emotion in the story lines, Too much focus on how vulgar he can make " contemporary real life dialogue".

GamineChic
QT is definately ur go-to guy for over the top gore, its why i loff him.

a Bid at popularity?

i think not.

BruceSkywalker
Quentin should always write and direct and hardly ever act

liebe911
Not much Idea about here guys sorry

Sado22
the only movies by him that i liked was Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. everything ranges from plain garbage to overrated.

Hostel=average
Kill Bill=crap
Kill Bill2=crapper
Deathproof= crap (trying to emulate a 2nd rate genre and claling it "homage" doesn't become good but just becomes recycled 2nd rate crap)

and he sucks as an actor. plain and simple.

Tama-o-hoi
tarantino... by far one of my favourite writer/directors. i like the subtleties in his films, like i hate when movies feed you all the information by just saying it plain and simple. taratino lets you read "between the lines" so to speak, and for me that makes for a more realistically enjoyable watch. its kinda like he only shows you a particularly interesting portion of his characters lives in his films - kinda like his characters have lives of their own and aren't confined to the length of the movie... i dont know maybe im not explaining it right - but yeah thats what me thinks anywayz..

Julia Megan
I have not yet watched it, after reading this I have planned to watch it, may be I can add a few lines about it in my website also.

Juno22
I think he is an incredible writer and director! I can't wait for Inglourious Basterds to come out!

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Sado22
the only movies by him that i liked was Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. everything ranges from plain garbage to overrated.

Hostel=average
Kill Bill=crap
Kill Bill2=crapper
Deathproof= crap (trying to emulate a 2nd rate genre and claling it "homage" doesn't become good but just becomes recycled 2nd rate crap)

and he sucks as an actor. plain and simple.

Jackie Brown?

And he didn't direct Hostel. He possibly produced it or something.

Also, True Romance and Natural Born Killers (which he wrote) are great, too.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Jackie Brown?

And he didn't direct Hostel. He possibly produced it or something.

Also, True Romance and Natural Born Killers (which he wrote) are great, too.

True Romance and Natural Born Killers are two of my fave films

LoneUnknown
I think Quentin Tarantino is an awesome director. Some of my favourite movies are his own (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill)
Love him as a director but not so much as an actor, I don't think he's very good in that department. But if he wants to make cameos in his movies then who's to say he can't.

Toku King
One of the most overrated directors of our time. He had one good film(Pulp Fiction, though I have not seen "Reservoir Dogs"wink. And if RD's good, the argument turns into the Frank Miller dilemma: Slipping far from grace.

jaden101
I still think his part of "four rooms" is his best work.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Toku King
One of the most overrated directors of our time. He had one good film(Pulp Fiction, though I have not seen "Reservoir Dogs"wink. And if RD's good, the argument turns into the Frank Miller dilemma: Slipping far from grace.

How can you judge his entire output as a director when you haven't seen all his films????????

MildPossession
He does 'steal' things from his influences but he puts it all into one film and makes it his own. He admits to it all and says he loves adding it all in, I see no problem when the final film is still quite unique.

There use to be a whole forum section dedicated to all things Quentin Tarantino. Gone now sad

I adore all his directed and scripted films(haven't seen his section of Four Rooms though). Reservoir Dogs is my favourite.

Deathproof I liked from when the first group of idiot girls were killed off in the first car crash from then on I adored the film and its fantastic soundtrack(as usual).

Looking forwards to Inglourious Basterds. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.