New Star Wars Books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lethal Rogue
Post anytime you read a new star wars book that you like. Actually just post anytime you read a good star wars book.

chilled monkey
I recently read The Force Unleashed novel and enjoyed it very much. It's a bit rushed, but very entertaining.

Captain REX
Is there more dialogue than in the game, chilled?

xxxpoppunker182
yes, but IMO the force unleashed in its entirety(game, book,comic,story) is just flat out retarded

Lord Lucien
Why?

xxxpoppunker182
first off all of this is my opinion.

1.I just find the fact that the emperor planned the rebellion 2 years before episode 4 is just retarded.

2. Galen mareks family crest is the used as the rebel symbole is a stupid idea.

3.Darth Vaders "secret" apprentice concept was terrible

4.Galen's powers INO are ridiculous.

5. The whole book/game takes place in like what a month? 2 months? within those two months someone who has been abused in every way pushed to his very limit and was brought up to use the darkside(hate anger aggression) just turns good? come on.

6.Galen is more powerful than Vader and rocks his crap in the novel at one point knocking off his helmet but vader leaves and grabs some stormtroopers without his helmet on? do i really need to explain why that's mest up

7. The character Kazdan Paratus is nutty and wierd for someone who was a Jedi master. along with all the puppets of the council members.

that's all I can really remember right now.

Lord Lucien
1. True. Though I also find the fact that Palpatine would allow a rebellion at all in the first place to be a little unbelievable. In retrospect, the most powerful and evil being ever to grace the galaxy letting a tiny insurrection foil him is a tad unrealistic. Him inadvertently causing his own demise being the result of him trying to solidify his power through a complex scheme seems to fit better by comparison.

2. I've got no problem with that. Fits in with #1 kinda.

3. Yeah, pretty much.

4. Totally.

5. Actually I think it takes place over a year. I saw its timeframe somewhere ranging from 3-2 BBY.

6. I think you're nitpicking here. But I guess if I was Vader, I'd at least try to find my helmet.

7. Yeah I thought he was pretty stupid too.

Allankles
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182

1.I just find the fact that the emperor planned the rebellion 2 years before episode 4 is just retarded.

5. The whole book/game takes place in like what a month? 2 months? within those two months someone who has been abused in every way pushed to his very limit and was brought up to use the darkside(hate anger aggression) just turns good? come on.

6.Galen is more powerful than Vader and rocks his crap in the novel at one point knocking off his helmet but vader leaves and grabs some stormtroopers without his helmet on? do i really need to explain why that's mest up

7. The character Kazdan Paratus is nutty and wierd for someone who was a Jedi master. along with all the puppets of the council members.

Agreed with everything you stated. The rebellion being formed two years before ANH? Mostly the cheapness with which Galen turns to the light. The idea that the Alliance needs the SA to rally them? There was just plenty wrong that didn't even seem to fit with what was supposed to be already established back story.

Final Blaxican
I think that Sideous inadvertently starting the Rebellion is one of the greatest ideas in the Star Wars EU mythos.

Autokrat
I think Palps gets a little too carried away with his schemes and suddenly you have his own demise born out of a completely unnecessary and overly complex plan.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Captain REX
Is there more dialogue than in the game, chilled?

There is.

One of my favourites is just before Vader betrays Starkiller for the first time. PROXY congratulates Starkiller and 'reassures' him that he will still keep trying to kill him. Starkiller smiles fondly and says "I know PROXY, I know."

chilled monkey

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I must respectfully disagree on a few things.

2. Why? He laid down his life to save them. It seems like a good way to honour him. Plus, it's a cool symbol.

3. What's terrible? I like the idea of an anti-hero who becomes a true hero. They couldn't have it be Palpatine's apprentice, so Vader was the logical choice.

4.- What's ridiculous? Galen's powers are no different to those of other Jedi/Sith, just stronger than most (telekinesis, electrokinesis etc). He doesn't shapeshift or time-travel or anything.

5. The story takes place over several months at least. Galen's turning to the light makes perfect sense since he did have a good heart deep down. Plus he was in love (which is what I like most about the story).

6. Vader left to get the troopers while Galen and co were dealing with Palpatine. He didn't pick up his helmet because he can survive, at least for a time, without it (he still had a functioning respirator). Besides they were on the Death Star; he wouldn't have to go far to get help.

7. Even Jedi Masters can go insane.

Lethal Rogue
I really enjoyed TFU. I thought it had a great plot and a good idea to make Galen's family crest the sign of the rebellion.

Captain REX
While I enjoyed Sidious inadvertedly creating the very thing which destroys him, and I did have fun destroying stormtroopers left and right with the Force... I really didn't like TFU as a whole. I never did like the whole 'Dark Side... now Light Side!' Someone like Galen really shouldn't have ever gone 'back' to the Light (not that he was there before).

It also kinda cheapens Vader's efforts to turn his own son. He's already had an apprentice, Sidious knows that Vader wants an apprentice to help dethrone him. Blah.

Also, I think it steps on some established continuity of the Rebellion existing prior to 2 BBY?

chilled monkey
I never did like the whole 'Dark Side... now Light Side!' Someone like Galen really shouldn't have ever gone 'back' to the Light (not that he was there before).

Why not? He turned to the Light because he fell in love. Makes perfect sense to me.

Plus, right from the start we saw that he wasn't all bad (such as his friendship with PROXY).

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Why not? He turned to the Light because he fell in love. Makes perfect sense to me.

Plus, right from the start we saw that he wasn't all bad (such as his friendship with PROXY). His turn to the Light, while not as as sudden as Anakin's fall to the Dark, was quick. At least one can say that the Dark's tantalizing power causes a quick fall, but the process of "healing" one to the Light shouldn't take as little time as did for Galen, especially as he spent the last---what, 10 years as a Dark Sider?

xxxpoppunker182
take a kid the age vader to starkiller and do everything to him that vader did and would take way longer than a year to make him go from being bad to good

Allankles
take a kid the age vader took starkiller and do everything to him that vader did and would take way longer than a year to make him go from being bad to good

Pretty much. He conditioned him (for most of his life) to use the dark side, to become a Sith. It looks extremely cheap if he turns to the light in a matter of months.

The choice should have been to either turn on his master, Vader and die at Palpys hands or join Vader and overthrow the Emperor (alternate ending).

Hell with proper treatment they could have thrown in a few more choices like Kota becoming an ally only because the apprentice is the lesser of two evils.

These were the dark times. It was a very unique time in SW where light intermingled with dark to become grey and then dark again - the dark times. TFU's story and atmosphere was too bright for such a dark period in SW.

Icy Ninja
I think Sidious creating the rebellion was quite strategic for him, find out who your enemies are then destroy them publicly or with the death star. By doing that he wouldn't have to fear anyone trying to usurp him only problem was his little rebellion got a little to big.

And to be back on topic I've been reading the NJO series and quite like it so far only half way through the third book though

xxxpoppunker182
yes strategic but ever since the end of episode 3 a rebellion has been around and now ****ing galen had to rally them? thats just retarded.

Lethal Rogue
I thought it was a good idea.

Captain REX
I thought it was a good idea too, I just didn't like that the plan was executed a full two years before ANH. How was the Rebellion able to arrange itself into a militant force in only two years, whereas other depictions have had it building up since ROTS?

I also don't recall if Garm Bel Iblis was present in the ending scene. He was supposedly a key founder of the Rebellion.

Lethal Rogue
I don't think he was in the game, but in the book he was.

xxxpoppunker182
I thought it was a good idea too, I just didn't like that the plan was executed a full two years before ANH. How was the Rebellion able to arrange itself into a militant force in only two years, whereas other depictions have had it building up since ROTS?

I also don't recall if Garm Bel Iblis was present in the ending scene. He was supposedly a key founder of the Rebellion.

I agree, I don't mind that sidious engineered the whole thing I Hate that it was 2 bby i mean come on the rebellion had started since the republic became an empire.

Captain REX
Seriously. Not enough time!

Lethal Rogue
Yeah, agreed.

Captain REX
Oh well. I think at this point it has just become so inherent in the EU for writers to think it okay to jump back and forth between sides in the Force that it won't ever stop happening. Vader's redemption was a selfless act that cost him his life. Everyone else falls in love, or is redeemed by a sibling, blah blah blah. It makes Vader look like a chump.

Gideon
Amen.

As for Garm Bel Iblis's presence, yes, he was present both in the game and in the book.

Keep in mind, REX, that the Rebellion was already building up militant forces for years. All Starkiller did was unite them in one group.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Gideon
Amen.

As for Garm Bel Iblis's presence, yes, he was present both in the game and in the book.

Keep in mind, REX, that the Rebellion was already building up militant forces for years. All Starkiller did was unite them in one group.

which is lame

Who's Nebaris?
As far as Star Wars is concerned the comic book was actually pretty awesome. The entire concept was well thought out and quite original imo.

Lethal Rogue
What, TFU comics? I want to read them still.

Gideon
The TFU comic was better than both the novelization and the game. And I hate comics.

Final Blaxican
The comic was alright, but, what with it being a comic and all, a lot of the action was off-panel which sucked.

I bought the Thrawn trilogy comics a few years ago and they're ace though.

Faunus
Batman is better.

Lethal Rogue
lol.

BTW Blaxican, where do you get Thrawn Trilogy comics?

Gideon
Originally posted by Faunus
Batman is better.

It's people like you who should have been aborted. No one cares about a guy who dresses up like a giant bat and expects to be taken seriously.

Pretty much all comics suck anyways.

Faunus
It's people like you who should have been aborted. No one cares about a guy who dresses up like a giant bat and expects to be taken seriously.The world would disagree. And since this isn't a matter of religion, the world wins.

You need to die violently. The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, and The Joker are three of the greatest graphic novels - of any kind - written in the past few decades. I only pay attention to the good ones, anyway; I refuse to try and keep up with monthly comics.

Weaboo
X-Men: Legacy is the betterest. It's centred around Charles Xavier which makes it awesome by default, and rather than the wise, crippled professor/leader of the X-Men that you all know him as, working behind the scenes to fulfill his vision of peaceful human-mutant coexistence, he's regained the ability to walk, his mind's been completely disfragmented, he's virtually an entirely new person and is now taking centre stage on a quest to recover his lost memories.

Final Blaxican
It's people like you who should have been aborted. No one cares about a guy who dresses up like a giant bat and expects to be taken seriously.

Pretty much all comics suck anyways.

Would you like some noob butter on your fail biscuit? A well written comic is way better than any written star wars novel, fan fiction or otherwise.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Would you like some noob butter on your fail biscuit? A well written comic is way better than any written star wars novel, fan fiction or otherwise.

no you r wrong

Final Blaxican
no you r wrong

http://www.suburbannightmare.com/larlar/no_u3.jpg

Red Nemesis

Publius, Blank101, and Matthew Stover would like to disagree, as would the books Labyrinth of Evil and Shatterpoint.

Captain REX
There are some graphic novels out there that I would prefer to read over novels. The Watchmen comes to mind; that isn't something you could accomplish in the medium of writing, it needed pictures.

Anyways, the Knights of the Old Republic comics are actually pretty decent. The only problem I have is when they bring in an artist that is too far from the usual art done for it.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Publius, Blank101, and Matthew Stover would like to disagree, as would the books Labyrinth of Evil and Shatterpoint.

Publius' writing ability is overrated. He's a good writer, but I've seen better. Annd yes, I've also seen better written comics than any of his novels. I flat out didn't even like LoE, so meh. Shatterpoint was great, imo the best written starwars novel, but even that was, I feel, overly dramatic.

So they can disagree all they want. As REX pointed out, there are some things that comics can do that novels simply can't.

xxxpoppunker182
that is true but and I do like comics (x-men's m favorite) but I'd rather take a good SW novel over a good comic.

Final Blaxican
At times I feel the same. Specifically when reading some of Jeff Loeb's latest work... ugh...

Gideon
No.

Hell no.

Let's get one thing perfectly straight: when it comes to writing Star Wars or even Batman, there are none who come close to touching the magnificence of my master, the Great Publius (with the possible exception of Blank101 for his amazing Son of Suns trilogy). Unlike published and licensed LFL authors, Publius has a logical methodology. He understands simple things like math and logic, and doesn't create nor add to the numerous inconsistencies within the realm of Star Wars.

So, for example, because he understands the simple concept that a Galactic Republic/Empire/Alliance spans millions of worlds, there would logically require more than "lawl 3 million soldiers!!1!" for their armies. Here, he has a sizeable advantage over Karen Traviss, even though (joking aside) she is a "good author." As well as Timothy Zahn, who believes 200 antiquated dreadnaughts would be enough to tip the scales between the Empire and New Republic.

Likewise, Publius is also a master of understanding proper motivation for characters. So, here he has an advantage over Troy Denning and Aaron Allston who create Jacen Solo's motivation for going to the dark side as simply "murder = peace!!!1!" Yet they are "good authors."

Moving on, Publius understands that all Star Wars characters are fallible and portrays them as such. Even Palpatine. So yet again we have another tremendous advantage over the likes of Timothy Zahn or Drew Karpyshyn, who are blatantly egocentric and gratuitous with their own creations (i.e. Thrawn's very name being enough to make any NR official shit their pants, being a greater politician than Palpatine; Revan being responsible for everything ever and being the definition of godly ).

Publius is also extremely original when it comes to his own material. So, unlike the moron hacks who wrote Legacy, he enjoys the ability to come up with original characters with original storylines rather than try to woo the masses with a rehash of the PT and OT.

Lastly, Publius is good enough that he took a shitty example of EU (a comic book, no less) and transformed it into an enjoyable and believable fan novelization.

So when you tell me he's "overrated" or just "good," you simply don't know what the hell you're talking about. Joking aside, he's not the greatest ever, but he's miles above most.

Final Blaxican
No.

Hell no.

Let's get one thing perfectly straight: when it comes to writing Star Wars or even Batman, there are none who come close to touching the magnificence of my master, the Great Publius (with the possible exception of Blank101 for his amazing Son of Suns trilogy). Unlike published and licensed LFL authors, Publius has a logical methodology. He understands simple things like math and logic, and doesn't create nor add to the numerous inconsistencies within the realm of Star Wars.

So, for example, because he understands the simple concept that a Galactic Republic/Empire/Alliance spans millions of worlds, there would logically require more than "lawl 3 million soldiers!!1!" for their armies. Here, he has a sizeable advantage over Karen Traviss, even though (joking aside) she is a "good author." As well as Timothy Zahn, who believes 200 antiquated dreadnaughts would be enough to tip the scales between the Empire and New Republic.

Likewise, Publius is also a master of understanding proper motivation for characters. So, here he has an advantage over Troy Denning and Aaron Allston who create Jacen Solo's motivation for going to the dark side as simply "murder = peace!!!1!" Yet they are "good authors."

Moving on, Publius understands that all Star Wars characters are fallible and portrays them as such. Even Palpatine. So yet again we have another tremendous advantage over the likes of Timothy Zahn or Drew Karpyshyn, who are blatantly egocentric and gratuitous with their own creations (i.e. Thrawn's very name being enough to make any NR official shit their pants, being a greater politician than Palpatine; Revan being responsible for everything ever and being the definition of godly ).

Publius is also extremely original when it comes to his own material. So, unlike the moron hacks who wrote Legacy, he enjoys the ability to come up with original characters with original storylines rather than try to woo the masses with a rehash of the PT and OT.

Lastly, Publius is good enough that he took a shitty example of EU (a comic book, no less) and transformed it into an enjoyable and believable fan novelization.

So when you tell me he's "overrated" or just "good," you simply don't know what the hell you're talking about. Joking aside, he's not the greatest ever, but he's miles above most.

No.

Gideon
You don't want to start with me on Publius. He's better than all LFL authors. All of 'em.

And my problem with comic books stems from the monologues. Books handle character thoughts and speeches much better.

Final Blaxican
That's the thing, I didn't start with Publis and his standing among LFL characters. You go off on this rant about Publius being better than the various other starwars authors, despite the fact that all I said was this:

How does that translate into, "Publius writing ability is overrated. He's a good writer, but I've seen better Star Wars authors"?

Gideon
Are you actually going to try to debate this with me? lol

It's not that hard to understand nor is it a subject worth debating. I never made the claim that you operated under the assumption that there were Star Wars authors better than Publius. You did, however, say that he was both "overrated" and "good." He's neither. Because he's a quite a bit better than "good" authors. Which makes him better than good.

Ergo, your claim that he's "good" is false. He's better than good. Great.

Final Blaxican
Are you actually trying to debate this with me? lol

"Good" is an utterly relative term and thus can't be argued against.

QED.

Gideon
Yes it can.

QED.

Besides, you're black. You automatically lose. Publius > comics.

Final Blaxican
A black man is President. ermm

50 Cent shall have a room in the White House!

Gideon
A black man is President. ermm

50 Cent shall have a room in the White House!

Honestly, I'm glad that Obama won.

Final Blaxican
Yeah, ditto. Though in all honesty if McCain were to win the only real unforgivable problem with that would be that Palin would be vice-president.

Gideon
Obama's smart. And charismatic. But as the southern Baptists are so quick to remind us, so was Hitler.

Faunus
To be fair, if you're going to call Obama black you have to be willing to call him white. I'm amused at how the media glosses over this.

Oh, and Publius is overrated. I would point out the merits of Frank Miller as a creative icon for the ages, but I took a peek at The Dark Knight Strikes Again - the "sequel" to The Dark Knight Returns - and almost vomited. His directorial skills are also rather shitty; check out the movie The Spirit, please.

Final Blaxican
The Spirit sucked. And yes Obama is white, white in mannerisms as well as race.

Gideon
Publius isn't overrated. You yourself were highly impressed with his abilities.

Christ, you change your mind almost as much as Nebaris. big grin

Final Blaxican
Nebaris? I don't understand. He's had this whole "Bane's dick in my mouth and his fingers up my ass" mind set for quite awhile now.

Gideon
True.

But on everything else? He flip-flops like a spastic fish.

Faunus
Publius isn't overrated. You yourself were highly impressed with his abilities.I'm still highly impressed. Doesn't mean I don't think he's overrated.

No you didn't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.