Why do you like Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

killermover
I'm new and Superman is one of my favorite superheroes.

1) He's the gold standard, the original.

2) He's got all the power of a god, yet he doesn't try to play one. He knows his place in the universe and doesn't abuse his power. A real guardian angel type.

3) The man's humble to a fault. He's always there for his friends, and doesn't belittle anyone. He actually brings out the best in them, makes them feel special- Quote-

The Atom: I remember the first time I met Superman. It was a Justice League case so there were other heroes involved, but in my mind none of them stood as tall or as proudly as Superman. I began to wonder what I was doing in the same room as him, how little he must think of me. But Superman never treated me as anything but an equal. At six inches tall he made me feel like a giant. Now I had to be that giant for him.

4) He's the pillar holding up the League, the lynchpin of the DCU-Quote-

Batman: Flying out of the sky, he once again show us why he sets the standard for so many. Many see him as a naive boyscout whipped by his own selflessness. They will not, cannot, see him for what he is, a hero.

5) Clark's a source of inspiration for the entire superhero community, even Batman( refer above quote), and Wonder Woman-Quote-

Wonder Woman restraining and talking to Superman after he is transformed into Doomsday form by Circe

Wonder Woman: I won't let you give into your pain or guilt. The whole world needs you right now because of who you are and what you do. Because of what you mean to everyone. Because of what you mean to me. Just by being as good as you are.

Superman (changing back and crying): Diana...What have I done to you?

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by killermover

2) He's got all the power of a god, yet he doesn't try to play one. He knows his place in the universe and doesn't abuse his power. A real guardian angel type.

3) The man's humble to a fault. He's always there for his friends, and doesn't belittle anyone. He actually brings out the best in them, makes them feel special- Quote-

The Atom: I remember the first time I met Superman. It was a Justice League case so there were other heroes involved, but in my mind none of them stood as tall or as proudly as Superman. I began to wonder what I was doing in the same room as him, how little he must think of me. But Superman never treated me as anything but an equal. At six inches tall he made me feel like a giant. Now I had to be that giant for him.

Batman: Flying out of the sky, he once again show us why he sets the standard for so many. Many see him as a naive boyscout whipped by his own selflessness. They will not, cannot, see him for what he is, a hero.

5) Clark's a source of inspiration for the entire superhero community, even Batman( refer above quote), and Wonder Woman-Quote-

Wonder Woman restraining and talking to Superman after he is transformed into Doomsday form by Circe

Wonder Woman: I won't let you give into your pain or guilt. The whole world needs you right now because of who you are and what you do. Because of what you mean to everyone. Because of what you mean to me. Just by being as good as you are.

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character.

thumb up

WrathfulDwarf
He's our beloved Boyscoutt...a true gentleman and a very well liked character. No one comes nearer than the man himself....

bychance

Great post smile

Endless Mike
I just like how he is often portrayed as just a normal guy with godlike powers and has to deal with moral problems (like in the New Krypton arc). I also like the mythology behind the character.

Mindship

Superman is not only an inspiration in the comic book world, he's an inspiration to many even in the real world because he symbolizes the best in people. He is the purest, modern incarnation of the Hero archetype, of Humanity's highest ideals and noblest aspirations.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Mindship
Superman is not only an inspiration in the comic book world, he's an inspiration to many even in the real world because he symbolizes the best in people. He is the purest, modern incarnation of the Hero archetype, of Humanity's highest ideals and noblest aspirations.
thats true reading a superman comic, really makes you wonder about yourself

xJLxKing
The beginning of the movie Supermanbig grinoomsday where Lex talks about Superman says it all.
nice post TC!

ThunderGodEneru

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character. Your post was one of the best posts I have honestly ever read on this forum.

So I'm profiling it.

killermover
No job is to big or to small for Supes.

Allankles

Sums it up really.

That's the number one reason I like Supes, very down to earth, humble. He doesn't pose or make out like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also he strives to bring out the best in people even his villains, the only knock I have on Supes is that he doesn't take more of an active role in world political affairs like helping with government policy: law making, relief efforts for refugees etc. It was a criticism tangent Supes made that I agree with in part.

Final Blaxican
I don't. ermm

killermover
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I don't. ermm Then don't post here.

Raoul
I don't. ermm

i doubt superman likes you either... ermm

ThunderGodEneru
I don't. ermm Better than that one guy who shoots semen from his wrists while spouting cheesy one-liners. 131

catwhiskers42

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character. very true!!!

tsscls
He embodies all of the qualities and traits that most of us wish we had, but are too flawed to exhibit.
All-Star Superman illustrated all of these traits perfectly. IMO.

suttercain
One of the first memories I have involves me running around trying to be Superman. That's why I like him.

roughrider
He was always there growing up, on the newstand, on TV in cartoons or in reruns of the old movie serials & series. And to be a young kid watching the first Christopher Reeve film onscreen in 1978; it cemented his messiah-like status in comics & much of pop culture. He's not my true favourite, but I respect his status.
Getting me young was the key; plus him being in media other than comics. It's also what got me into Captain Marvel, Spider Man & the Hulk in the 1970's.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Better than that one guy who shoots semen from his wrists while spouting cheesy one-liners. 131

At least that guy doesn't molest children.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/blaxican_templar/GodlySupes.jpg

Robtard
At least that guy doesn't molest children.

Considering that the majority of child molesters were molested in turn as children, there's a high chance that Spider-man touches children.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/09a3a12088.jpg

Final Blaxican
Showing your grand-son pictures of women is perfectly legitimate and excellent fathering!

However... the look of repulse on Peter's face makes it 110% fact that he was, in fact, gay.

Could Mary Jane be a cover-up?

Raoul
at last. some sense to the events of one more day...

Doom and Gloom
Well, to play the devils advocate, I HATE HATE HATE Superman. There are FAR too many incarnations of him, Original Superman, Pre Crisis Superman, Sun Dipped Composite Superman, Superman, Blue, Superman One Million, Superman prime, Kismet Superman, etc, etc, etc. Why so many variations of JUST One character? Doesn't DC have enough imagination to create different characters.

I hate the fact that Superman can never lose, only uber cosmics should have that distinction. He can do no wrong, never makes a mistake, in otherwords.....boooooooooring.

I could go on and on as to why I don't like Superman but I'll just end my rant now.

Magee
Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
Well, to play the devils advocate, I HATE HATE HATE Superman. There are FAR too many incarnations of him, Original Superman, Pre Crisis Superman, Sun Dipped Composite Superman, Superman, Blue, Superman One Million, Superman prime, Kismet Superman, etc, etc, etc. Why so many variations of JUST One character? Doesn't DC have enough imagination to create different characters. Considering Superman has been around for 70 years It would be a bit strange / boring if there was not so many incarnations. However there has only been maybe 4 or 5 different versions of mainstream Superman in that time.

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
I hate the fact that Superman can never lose, only uber cosmics should have that distinction. He can do no wrong, never makes a mistake, in otherwords.....boooooooooring Superman can and has lost plenty of times. He makes mistakes, is conflicted a lot of the time between whats right and wrong and where the line should be, they are a huge part of Superman comics.

Final Blaxican
The only "conflictions" of whats right and wrong in Superman comics is his own naivety. He has the same Luke Skywalker "there's potentially good n everyone!" syndrome that fails.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Robtard
Considering that the majority of child molesters were molested in turn as children, there's a high chance that Spider-man touches children.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/09a3a12088.jpg

Thats not Peter.

killermover
The only "conflictions" of whats right and wrong in Superman comics is his own naivety. He has the same Luke Skywalker "there's potentially good n everyone!" syndrome that fails. Thats not true, he's been tempted to kill and maim, but he didn't. He's also being tempted to become a god once, but he didn't.

Robtard
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Thats not Peter.

STFU.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Robtard
STFU.

I will, but the truth shall ring louder and louder.

killermover
Anyway, I like how Seinfield made that special with him and Clark, Hilarious.

carnage52
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Thats not Peter.

killermover
I also like his relationship with characters, especially Lex.

killermover
Hi I'm back, anyone want to reply?

Heythere,Honey
I like Supes because he's one of the first heroes I ever knew and, like #2, he has a whole lot of power and still doesn't play like a god. He's what man aspires to be. no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.