Why is JFK a staple for comparison?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Why is JFK a staple for comparison with certain people?

"Heath Ledger was the JFK of acting". I've heard this many times.

"2 Pac was the JFK of music". Oh, yes. I've heard this more than once, also.

Can anyone explain? Maybe because of my age, and unfamiliarity with JFK's legacy, I just don't get it.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Impediment

Can anyone explain? Maybe because of my age, and unfamiliarity with JFK's legacy, I just don't get it.

He is considered a very able and excellent politician who was cut down in his prime it is expected that he would have achieved great things.

Thus anyone with great talent who dies prematurely might be considered, JFK of their field.

It's like, imagine Obama died tomorrow- he would be heralded as one of the most promising presidents ever who was tragically cut down before he had a chance to do magnificant things.

So think of Obama and the hype that surronds him, transfer that to JFK.

Jack Daniels
ahh just have a drink it will all come 2getherbeer

BackFire
Just means someone with infinite potential who died before/during their prime.

ragesRemorse
because his name makes for a catchy acronym.

Mr Parker
Hmmm never heard of any of this.But JFK did do more in his short one thousand days of office for the people than any other president since Lincoln so maybe thats why since he went all out on everything I guess.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Hmmm never heard of any of this.But JFK did do more in his short one thousand days of office for the people than any other president since Lincoln so maybe thats why since he went all out on everything I guess.
never messed with the spiderman till now...I hope you dont hold to much faith in lincoln ...he was more like current presidents than most of the mid termers...them youngin presidents ...ahh another discussion I need some prep for...jfk was a tad bit different

WrathfulDwarf
Kennedys are overrated.

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Kennedys are overrated.

Why do you like to always weirdly generalize stuff.

Kosta
Kennedys are overrated.

In what sense?

Lord Knightfa11
its really a silly analogy because jfk had alot of hype but all he managed to do is become insanely popular via martyrdom.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Kosta
In what sense?

Celeb in every sense of the word. They're consider in same level as FDR in politics when in fact they're more known for celebrity status. Oh, and God forbid if anyone says anything critical about them.

Bardock42
FDR is also very, very much overrated.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
its really a silly analogy because jfk had alot of hype but all he managed to do is become insanely popular via martyrdom.

Bardock42
I do agree that his death is a very large part in his fame.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Bardock42
FDR is also very, very much overrated.

very true indeed.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Impediment

Can anyone explain? Maybe because of my age, and unfamiliarity with JFK's legacy, I just don't get it. They'll be saying they're the Barack Obama next, after he dies.

BruceSkywalker
Kennedys are overrated.

I've always thought they had something to do with Marilyn Monroe's death

ragesRemorse
Jfk told Cuba that America had Nukes ready to fire on them when we really didn't. That was a ballsy move that most likely prevented America from being a fuk hole cinder thats the only reason i like him. Oh, and because of his goofy ass accent.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Bardock42
FDR is also very, very much overrated. well you're a quasi-anarchist, so of course you think that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Strangelove
well you're a quasi-anarchist, so of course you think that.

Nah, I am talking comparison between politicians vs. their ratings...of course, you are right, I think politicians are overrated, but that's not what I'm saying.

Ahsoka Tano
What does JFK and Obama have in common?

Nothing yet.

Symmetric Chaos
Two Presidents famous for breaking a barrier that no one had ever done before? That's two things at least.

Both men. That's three.

Both owe part of their success to technology (TV and Internet). Four.

Religion became an issue during the campaigns. Five!

Jokes suck when you're a know-it-all cry

inimalist
Kennedy had a strong youth support base that, arguably, were much more leftist and radical than even Kennedy would have been (how quickly everyone forgets the escalation of Vietnam, Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis).

He was killed early, so people get to take those radical and unrealistic expectations and turn them into truths. He is remembered for the future people think he would have brought, and for the whole spectacle thing.

Actually, come to think of it, there might be a lot of similarities with Trudeau, though who cares about Canadian politics wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.