Heavy Rain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Just when I thought there wasn't gonna be another game like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain appears. It's being made by the same team who made Indigo Prophecy but this time, it's not about saving the world or anything like that. Subtitle for this game is The Origami Killer. Heavy Rain is an M rated game where you play the roles of different people to shift the story as you like to see it. The only character that had been shown playable was some female reporter.

Plot for this game is about a serial killer called the origami killer, killing his victims and leaving an origami next to the body. The game is pretty much about trying to solve the mystery about these gruesome deaths and to find out who the killer is.

The game is a PS3 exclusive and will be released March 24, 2009.

To anyone who's an Indigo Prophecy fan and has a PS3, you may want to buy this game as soon as it's out.

Neo Darkhalen
I've been watching this for a while, all I can say is good luck, looks like the PS3 needs a good exclusive game.

Icy Ninja
I really enjoyed IP. I'll be looking forward to this.

jinXed by JaNx
sounds great. I liked IP a lot

Morridini
I too really liked Fahrenheit, I just hope this game makes it way to multiplat or PC, would very much love to play it.

Smasandian
Maybe PC, but I think its staying on the PS3.

Looking forward to this. Looks absolutely stunning.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
looks like the PS3 needs a good exclusive game.

I thought they did have one blink.............MGS4 ???

Nemesis X
I saw that video on Joystiq where the woman was searching this house and found a dozen female corpses in a room. Next, the killer arrives back home and the lady has to get out of there. There was a split screen showing her and the killer. Music was rising very intense like, she had to avoid a squeeking floorboard so he wouldn't hear her, and she managed to escape on a motorbike. That vid nearly scared the crap out of me. There was a female corpse that was stuffed and kinda looked like a mannequien. That's ****** up.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Kazenji
I thought they did have one blink.............MGS4 ???

yeah, Ps3 has it's fair share of exclusives...,

little big planet
Uncharted
Gran turismo
Resistance
Ratchet and Clank

and the upcoming Exclusives,

God of War
Kill Zone 2
infamous
Socom 4
White night chronicles
Final Fantasy Versus
Wardevil

Smasandian
It's popular to shit on Sony these days.

If you like Playstation games like Rachet, Metal Gear and those games, then the PS3 is a viable platform. The idea that it doesnt have games is retarded. It just that the 360 has most of those games too, but if somebody likes playing Playstation games then why wouldnt they get it?

Nemesis X
Are we gettin a little off topic here?

Smasandian
A little but its about the PS3, somewhat relevant.

Nemesis X
We're talkin about Heavy Rain. Talking about different PS3 games other than Heavy Rain is off topicness.

jinXed by JaNx
come on partner, how much more can you say about a game that only has a teaser trailer out.

akNbviQfddI

Nemesis X
What the heck? I once called Gamestop about Heavy Rain and they said it'll be out March 24. Well the month and day has passed and still no word about the game. I called Gamestop again and asked if they have it and they said no. I asked them when it would be out and their answer was "We don't know." Are you friggin kidding me?

ArtificialGlory
Looks like it's not going to be my type of game. Wouldn't be able to play it anyway since I don't have a PS3, but not a big loss it seems.

THE JLRTENJAC
I loved Indigo Prophecy (Except the whole Purple Clan thing, that started getting a bit preposterous) and am looking forward to Heavy Rain.

I just like the fact that these games are so strongly based on story rather than action. Which, of course, story is the most important aspect of any game...

Morridini
I hate this game soo much. Why does it have to look so good and be an exclusive?

There's been a lot of new footage lately;
GTTV interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=60&ch=1&sd=0
Gameplay demo part I: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-heavy-rain/49553
Gameplay demo part II: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-heavy-rain/49554

And some of the info is pretty interesting. No game over screen upon death, if your character dies, he/she is dead for the rest of the game and the story adapts (unless all four die, then it's game over).

Gotten a huge urge to replay Fahrenheit again, or well, the first 3/4 of Fahrenheit.

S_D_J
Pre-E3 hands on:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/985/985796p1.html

... read the whole thing...

E3 Update:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/991/991334p1.html

Madison Jade is introduced and promptly grabs a man where it hurts.

OMG!

this game sounds amazing!

KingD19
The E3 gameplay demo was amazing, the sheer number of animations, choices, and other things were stunning.

NemeBro
"After making her way to the bathroom, you then see her looking at herself in the mirror and contextual action icons appear near her hair, shirt, skirt and face. Using all of these will have her put on makeup, fuss up her hair a little bit, undo a couple buttons on her shirt and rip the lower half off of her skirt."

"Madison is then forced to strip down to her bra and panties while trying to figure out the best thing to do."

no expression

Hawt

Morridini
Originally posted by Morridini
Gameplay demo part I: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-heavy-rain/49553
Gameplay demo part II: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-heavy-rain/49554

The same level has been shown again, but with some mopre details as to how the controllers etc work.

Part I: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-heavy-rain/50416
Part II: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-heavy-rain/50414
Parti III: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-heavy-rain/50412
Part IV: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-heavy-rain/50410
Part V: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-heavy-rain/50408

If you saw the ones I quoted, then you don'tr have to see Part I and II, however part III and IV make a lot of different choices and a lot of things changes, Part V continues after the quoted demo ended.

SaTsuJiN
isnt this game more or less a gigantic quick-time event?

I did enjoy the drama sequence that they played to demo the graphics a while back

Smasandian
The first game was a game of Simon Sez mixed in with some adventure elements.

The story was good though so it was pretty cool.

jalek moye
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

I did enjoy the drama sequence that they played to demo the graphics a while back
yea like a huge interactive movie, and you're able to do more then one action on the events, and still move around for yourself and do the puzzles

i'll play anything with a good story though

Morridini
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

Basicaly yes, but it's a much more adaptive QTE gamer then any other QTE game out there. As you clearly see on all the videoes out, they miss a lot of actions and the game still flows on smoothly.

But Fahrenheit/Heavy Rain is all about putting you inside a movie with a great story, having the characters react to even the slightest touch of the controllers is one detail I really like (like when the Agent moves his arm to open the door of the car in Part I of the last set of links).

S_D_J
if this was ported over to Wii:

....I wonder what the "Squeeze Balls" motion will be... 131

Ridley_Prime
laughing out loud

AsbestosFlaygon
Gonna buy this game before it is released.

Ms.Marvel
would you like a cookie. no expression

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
would you like a cookie. no expression
droolio

Morridini
Just played the Heavy Rain demo yesterday, game looks really good, just too bad it'll probably get great reviews but not too much sales because it's such a hard game to promote. Everyone should try the demo at least.

Follow the info on this link if you want the demo now; http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-heavy-rain-demo-right-now-heres-how
It will give you a code to redeem in the PSN Store allowing you to download the demo now, instead of having to wait for February 11th.

Allankles
I might try to get Heavy Rain. One of the better PS3 exclusives for sure.

BackFire
I'm definitely going to try this game out.

BackFire
Just tried the demo, really impressive. Has a really dark and foreboding tone which I loved, kinda reminded me of the movie Se7en.

I'm definitely going to be getting this one, looks to be one of the more unique games to come out in recent years.

BoratBorat
This game made me wish i had a ps3.

Zack Fair
I might buy another PS3 for this game but meh...Still disappointed the old one crapped out on me

S_D_J
I really wish I had some spare money to get this, but with everything else I have to buy... and FF next month, I'd be lucky to get this by May sad

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I might buy another PS3 for this game but meh...Still disappointed the old one crapped out on me

Your PS3 bit the dust? no expression

Zack Fair
Yeah

Impediment
The demo was awesome. This game looks like a definite buy.

Impediment
Does anyone have any idea how long this game is? Just out of curiosity.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
I loved Indigo Prophecy (Except the whole Purple Clan thing, that started getting a bit preposterous) and am looking forward to Heavy Rain.

I just like the fact that these games are so strongly based on story rather than action. Which, of course, story is the most important aspect of any game...

Cept..you know....not really.

MW2 is a prime example. One of the most unbelievable stories, ever, in any video game. People play it almost exclusively for the Mutli-player action.

Saw a review/preview of this on Kon. Looks great. Intersted in it...but no time to play it.

Superherovandal
Originally posted by dadudemon

MW2 is a prime example. One of the most unbelievable stories, ever, in any video game. People play it almost exclusively for the Mutli-player action.

Saw a review/preview of this on Kon. Looks great. Intersted in it...but no time to play it.
Gameplay is more important but that doesn't mean that story isn't extremely important itself...A great story can do wonders for a game. I think that more games should also put more effort into their stories more often... It would certainly enhance the medium and move it forward as a whole

ArtificialGlory
Story is not the most important aspect of any game.

BackFire
Originally posted by Impediment

I got the impression that the game is around 8-10 hours. However, I also understand that it's supposed to have really high replayability based on how many different ways the story can go.

Don't quote me on the game length, though.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by dadudemon

Apologies, I meant to put "In my opinion." at the end of that. Personally, I could care less about the graphics, gameplay, and games focusing exclusively on multiplayer sicken me. I can't enjoy a game unless it has an enjoyable plot to it, the more focus is put on the story and plot, odds are, the more I will like the game.

Now, yes there are a few exceptions to this rule, but for the most part, if a game does not have a good story, I am not going to like it.

Originally posted by BackFire
I got the impression that the game is around 8-10 hours. However, I also understand that it's supposed to have really high replayability based on how many different ways the story can go.

Don't quote me on the game length, though.

It took me about 10 hours to beat. Played it tuesday from 4:30 untill around 10 then wednesday from around 10-2:45 (with a few short breaks to eat.)

mr.smiley

It took me a little over 10 hours to beat the game.
I'm sure you could stretch it a bit longer or even trim that time down,but I would say it probably won't take any more than 12 hours for most people to complete it their first time through.

Spidervlad
This is one of the best games I have played... Just wow.

Most underestimated game that no one really knows about.

Any person who calls himself a gamer needs to give this one a try. It's a masterpiece. The way they create the mood, the amount of different ways the story can go, the character interaction, the character personalities. Just damn.

FinalAnswer
The chiljuns with the weirdass voices =l

ares834
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Story is not the most important aspect of any game.
I disagree completley. In RPG's the story is by far the most important aspect.

Spidervlad
I love it how the game is so intense when really, there's no action gameplay wise.

FinalAnswer
Indeed

A perfect example would be when

Ethan cuts off his finger

Everything is perfect at that scene.

Nemesis X
This game is a masterpiece when it comes to story. I'll admit that the action isn't as awesome as Quantic Dream's last game, Indigo Prophecy, but when you get into Heavy Rain and its dark mood, you'll be wowed almost a lot.

Norman Jeyden has got to be one of the best videogame characters of 2010. You gotta admire his sense of humor and determination to solve the Origami Killer case. His device called ARI (Added Reality Interface) is quite intriguing. The atmosphere of when he has Triptocaine withdrawl is intense but at the same time disturbing.

There seems to be a lot of glitches in this game. When I played as Madison Paige, her face was gone and all I saw were her eyes and teeth. Next thing I know, her head morphs into a giant blur that gives me one heck of an eye sore.

Spidervlad
I was disappointed with Jeyden's ending if you give up/accuse Blake, as it shows him starting to hallucinate tanks even though he did not have the ARI on. Perhaps it is simply a withdrawal effect as he tries to stop using the ARI, or perhaps he finally lost it...

And yeah, the action wasn't that intense but the mood certainly was.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This game is a masterpiece when it comes to story.

Yes, while I like the story The massive plothole involving Ethan's blackouts, and connection to the Origami Killer irks me.

He also looks like Keanu Reeves, which is pretty kewl. Personally, I liked Shelby more then Jayden (Beating up Stone Cold Steve Austin is lulzy), but, then again, I liked all the characters in Heavy Rain.

Except Jason. **** Jason.

And lulzy.

I never encountered any glitches except the day I got it (Feb. 23 313) when it froze once.

Nemesis X
We'll probably get an explanation once the DLC episodes for Heavy Rain are out. They said each episode will explain the confusion amongst the cast.

He does look like Keanu Reeves alright. Makes me think think he should play Jeyden if Hollywood ever wants to make a Heavy Rain movie.

I dislike Jason too. Stupid kid.

How you find that funny, I have no idea.

I encountered the freezing too. Good thing it's only rare.

FinalAnswer
He does look like Keanu Reeves alright. Makes me think think he should play Jeyden if Hollywood ever wants to make a Heavy Rain movie.

Hollywood is interested in making a Heavy Rain movie.

He continuosly smashed his head against a mirror. I found it humorous.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by ares834
I disagree completley. In RPG's the story is by far the most important aspect.

Well, I was talking about games in general. It's mostly subjective, but I personally find gameplay to be the most important aspect. Even if I find the storyline to be intriguing, I just can't bring myself to drudge through if the gameplay sucks ass. However, I will still usually play and even enjoy a game to some extent if I find gameplay to be to my liking, regardless of the story.

Though in the end, the majority of games that I remember and cherish are those that had both great gameplay and stories. For example, I enjoyed the gameplay of Resident Evil 5 or DMC4, but I forgot about these games the moment I was finished with them; they had very little impact on me.

Looking back, what I said in my previous post sounded too factual. I apologize for that.

Morridini
Never before have I had to put down the controller and think about what to do simply because of the emotional impact of the decision, kudos Heavy Rain!

Saskaswan
I completed the game a few days ago and it's really one of the best storylines ever in a game. I'm just trying to get a Platinum now.

BackFire
I got the game for my birthday and just started it. So far it's already amazing. Haunting and powerful. Taking a slow and steady pace to the plot and the story, I can't wait for more.

Smasandian
The only thing that bothered me was the horrible voice acting and cliched plot.

Other than that, it was awesome.

FinalAnswer
Why do people keep saying the voice acting is horrible =/

The voice acting is awesome, it's the fact that alot of the voices are foreign, mostly French, that's the problem, and I'm willing to oversee that.

Anyone who says Jayden and Shelby have horrible voice actors need to be shot estahuh

Morridini
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I guess we got the proper version of the game while everyoen else got corrupted copies with bad voices.

BackFire
The voice acting does sound very strange. Because it's french actors trying to do American accents, and it sounds odd.

Nemesis X
I downloaded the Taxidermist couple days ago and I must say, it is a very interesting, yet very disturbing episode. I wonder when the next Heavy Chronicle will be on the PS Store and it better be Ethan Thomas this time because I want to know what the heck he's been doing during his blackouts. As much as I would like to see how Jayden got his scar and how he became a drug addict, I would like to see the answer to the biggest mystery first.

FinalAnswer
Ethan Thomas

Lol

Nemesis X
I meant Ethan Mars. Argh, that's what I get when I think about Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain at the same time! embarrasment

Ms.Marvel
i thought you were talking about the guy from area 51 lol.

his names ethan cole though

FinalAnswer
ffs...

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12554

http://www.dembot.net/images/facepalm/homer_facepalm.jpg

thx Sony.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
ffs...

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12554

thx Sony.

Part of my soul just died.

Morridini
Link doesn't work for me. Is it about the focus on Move instead of DLC?

Nemesis X
Link doesn't work for me. Is it about the focus on Move instead of DLC?

Yes.

Zack Fair
I watched a walkthrough and I must say this game is fkn epic. Too bad my ps3 hit the dust before it came out =\

S_D_J
I having trouble updating HR. it gets to 99% of update 1of2, and then it gives me a time-out error code.

Can't also download LifewithPlayStation or PhotoGallery, it gets to 99% and then error. What Gives?

so far I've tried Home and RE5 and both updated fine no expression, videos and add-ons also download without problems

General_Iroh
So I'm a bit late here, but I just played this game and felt the need to comment on how much I liked it, seriously one of the best games I've played in a long time. Played through in one sitting, looking forward to my next playthrough. And also I was curious if anyone knows what they're planning DLC-wise, I know they put it on hold due to the playstation move, but are they going to follow up The guy who comes to Paige at the book signing and says she deserves a more challenging murderer in the dlc? Or is that for another game possibly?

Nephthys
I think they already had a DLC where Paige takes on another murderer. Chronicle Taxidermist I hear.

And having watched a Let's Play of this game i can say this movie game really doesn't deserve the crap it gets.

Impediment
I finally bought Heavy Rain today, since I have been so strapped for cash after my bout with unemployment.

I'm about 2 hours into Heavy Rain, and I am totally immersed in the game play. This game is going to be an amazing experience. This way, I can kill time until Crysis 2 releases.

Morridini
So I decided to replay Heavy Rain today (at my parents place, no Xbox available, and friend is borrowing Uncharted 2), and popped the disc in. And Just as I am about to start playing, BAM, 1144 MB patch need to download... what the hell kinda patch is that?

Impediment
Welcome to the Playstation Network, my friend. The entire download is a schematic for the PS Move. Nothing more. What bites my ass is that there is no option to decide download, since people might not have or want the f*cking PS Move, myself included. It's retarded.

Remember to go to the main menu and select "standard controller" instead of "PS Move", or you won't be able to play the game.

Morridini
Well I found a way to play the game without installing the update. I simply press Cancel, and the game continues.

However now, every five minutes, the game stops to tell me about the update, and if I accidentally hit X I am brought out of the game, start the download, have to cancel it, enter game again, and load the game again. Only to get yet another question if I want to download it, and yet again....and again....

Impediment
Well I found a way to play the game without installing the update. I simply press Cancel, and the game continues.

However now, every five minutes, the game stops to tell me about the update, and if I accidentally hit X I am brought out of the game, start the download, have to cancel it, enter game again, and load the game again. Only to get yet another question if I want to download it, and yet again....and again....

I did the same thing. You might as well download the damn update. It's infuriating, I know, but you have no choice.

Impediment
I'm officially trophy hunting again.

I'm about to try to earn the notoriously hard "Kamikaze" trophy where you play as Ethan driving down the wrong way of a one way highway.

The premise of the trophy is that you have to pick a "correct path" when you swerve left or right to avoid a head on collision.

Even after all of the FAQ's I've read about this trophy, people still say that it is the hardest game trophy to earn.

Bardock42
I'm officially trophy hunting again.

I'm about to try to earn the notoriously hard "Kamikaze" trophy where you play as Ethan driving down the wrong way of a one way highway.

The premise of the trophy is that you have to pick a "correct path" when you swerve left or right to avoid a head on collision.

Even after all of the FAQ's I've read about this trophy, people still say that it is the hardest game trophy to earn.

I remember that, I think the outcome if you fail is a crash, wasn't that it?

Impediment
Yep.

Apparently, from what I've researched, the correct path is:

Left, right, left, left, right, right, right, right, left.

Morridini
Not only do you need to not fail any of the events, but at the same time you must somehow figure out the pattern that causes the least damage. So go somewhere online to get the correct pattern, then perform it flawlessly, I think it took me 4-5 times even after I knew the pattern.

Impediment
I tried 5 times so far, so I'm taking a quick break.

It's maddening.

Bardock42
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow, to feel good about myself when I inevitably do it flawlessly on the first try and also get voted emperor of the universe.

Not that I care about PlayStation achievements.

Impediment
I'm a total trophy whore. sad

I wish that I wasn't.

Impediment
I did it.

awermm

Morridini
I'm a total trophy whore. sad

I wish that I wasn't.

I only am on games I really enjoy, got Platinum on Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2, the rest I don't care much for.

Impediment
I have platinums for Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space.

I only have one more trophy to earn in Dead Space 2 for a platinum, and I'm currently working for Heavy Rain's.

Morridini
Pretty old now, but I hadn't seen this bug before and I find it to be hilarious:
0t0uCWjQ6Og

Nephthys
Speaking of this game, their new one should be out soon and it looks pretty good imo.

Impediment
Major bump.

I started playing Heavy Rain today after almost 4 years and I'm still impressed how amazing this game is.

I'm playing the DLC "The Taxidermist" before I begin the main game. Man, I forgot how creepy it is when Madison is inside that crazy guy's house. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Quincy
Well thanks for the spoiler alert, now I know the crazy guy has a house

Nemesis X
Fun fact: Heavy Rain was originally planned by the developer to be a 360 exclusive for Kinect but Microsoft refused. The company believed a game with the kind of story it has wouldn't sell.

Impediment
The reports are that this game is in discussions to be adapted into a movie, but is in Development Hell.

In my honest opinion, this game is so complex and so deep that it CANNOT be adapted into a feature length film. I mean, the entire basis of Heavy Rain is to "choose your own adventure" and make different choices that affect the outcome of the game. You can never play it the same way twice and that's the genius of the game, if you ask me.

Just leave it alone, I say.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.