R.i.p. E.g.m.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
http://kotaku.com/5124928/1up-sold-to-hearst-corporation-egm-to-close-%5Bupdate%5D?skyline=true&s=x

And so passes my favorite Video Game Magazine, one that ive been with since 1998 sad

It introduced me to Halo, SSB, Sonic Adventure, and much much more... Even my beloved KotOR! You may be gone but never forgotten, a moment of silence please.....

BackFire
Shit, I have a subscription, have had one for over 10 years, that's really too bad, I really liked the magazine. Rather sad, actually.

Also found out that most of the editors for EGM, at least the one's that I have read often have been let go.

Smasandian
Yep. No more 1UP show either.

I don't know if its true but I heard most of the higher editors got laid off while the lower people were left free.

Which sucks because they had some good people in that building.

Neo Darkhalen
Another part of the gaming industry fades away. sad

Kero_Co
I no longer get EGM(latest subscription ran out sometime last year), but wow. It feels like my childhood is getting eaten away. I need to go buy that last issue. 1up too, that was pretty much my main alternative to ign. And 2009 started off so well...kind of...

jinXed by JaNx
It's a shame that magazines are becoming extinct. I like video game magazines because there is actually content in them, rather than just 95% advertisements.

Smasandian
I'm more worried about the podcasts from 1UP. They had some awesome podcasts and videos. I loved the 1UP show.

The mag though I got but I started to not enjoy it as much.

BackFire
The mag has been downhill for years now, really started with Shoe left. Still sad to see it go.

It's really odd that they fired so much of the editorial team. The ones they kept were pretty much nonamers.

Zack Fair
Shame. EGM was one of the best magazines.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
The mag has been downhill for years now, really started with Shoe left. Still sad to see it go.

It's really odd that they fired so much of the editorial team. The ones they kept were pretty much nonamers.

Yeah, Shoe was awesome. Have you checked out his blog?
http://sorethumbsblog.com/

Milkman is a good guy too but it they just lost so many key contributers outside of the main guys.

Nemesis X
This is what EGM gets when they put up articles that are lies. I was so lookin forward to Mushroom Kingdom Hearts.

jaden101
I only ever really read Edge magazine. Redeye was class.

Impediment
EGM shouldn't have went with the alphabetical rating system, in my opinion. I much preferred the numerical rating system.

Game Informer is my official gaming magazine now.

BruceSkywalker
such a great gaming magazine

Smasandian
Originally posted by Impediment
EGM shouldn't have went with the alphabetical rating system, in my opinion. I much preferred the numerical rating system.

Game Informer is my official gaming magazine now.

It doesn't really mean anything. The magazine still would of folded. There has been rumors for quite some time that the magazine would be gone. I'm just surprised they fired people who weren't part of the magazine, and were doing the podcasts and videos. They were probably the most popular things about the 1UP network.

Nactous
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This is what EGM gets when they put up articles that are lies. I was so lookin forward to Mushroom Kingdom Hearts.

Have you no respect?!?!

THE JLRTENJAC

This coming from the guy who accepts announcements from wikipedia as absolute fact.

SmashBro
I'm sure gonna miss EGM and their crazy hoaxs. I use to get EGM magazines in the mail all the time and now they're only here for good memories.

RIP EGM.

Really, you should have suspected something was wrong the moment you saw the article. Even I didn't fall for that.

Nemesis X
I did notice it was a lie. I've been reading some EGM magazines and they keep putting up this april issue with games like Lego Halo and crap.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
This coming from the guy who accepts announcements from wikipedia as absolute fact.

I don't take everything as a fact from Wikipedia. Some things I know are lies. Get off my case.

Nactous
I don't take everything as a fact from Wikipedia. Some things I know are lies. Get off my case.
laughing laughing

tom_servo
Eh. It's probably for the best. EGM has been sorely lacking in the quality that they've been known for.

SmashBro
I did notice it was a lie. I've been reading some EGM magazines and they keep putting up this april issue with games like Lego Halo and crap.

Didn't you say you were hoping for Mushroom Kingdom Hearts?

BackFire
I just resubscribed to the new EGM, got my first issue today, and it's really nice. The quality of the paper is very nice - very glossy and rather thick. Also they've went back to the numeral rating system which is good. Overall the new EGM seems ace.

Zack Fair
Sweet. I'll have to check it out for old time's sake.

Smasandian
Sweet, I might check it out also.

Impediment
I'll have to renew my subscription. Glad to see that EGM is back. Are they still associated with Ziff Davis?

Smasandian
Nope.

The original founder of the magazine is the guy behind it.

BackFire
Yeah they seem to be completely independent now. Lots of new editors, too. But quite a few old ones return to contribute, Shoe included.

Impediment
Dan "Shoe" Hsu is back? I enjoy reading his reviews.

BackFire
He contributes, he's not one of the main editors, though. He has his own thing going on these days.

Smasandian
He runs Bitmob.

The only thing I missed when EGM and 1UP went over to the next group was the 1UP show. An awesome show showcasing new games, and showcasing them in incredible depth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.