Heath Ledger won a Golden Globe for his portrayl of the Joker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Doc Ock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwsf5rL48hs

Way to go, Heath. A well deserved win clapping

Anti-Monitor
I cant stand those bias bastards, once again some Indian movie wins 5 or so awards. But it made NOW WHERE near the amount of money BDK made at the box office. Iron Man didnt even get mentioned tonight.

Final Blaxican
I actually prefer them not giving awards to a movie based on how much money it makes.

I'm pretty sure that movie about dog made more money than Valkyrie. It doesn't deserve any awards though.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Anti-Monitor
I cant stand those bias bastards, once again some Indian movie wins 5 or so awards. But it made NOW WHERE near the amount of money BDK made at the box office. Iron Man didnt even get mentioned tonight.

Indie, indie, indie, not Indian. From the word independent. Everybody loves indies because everyone loves to root for the underdog, free of the 'evil commercial studios' everyone loves to hate. Which is actually kinda good; you often see the lack of studio intervention in indies.

Thing is, the People's Choice Awards is out there for 'popular consensus' movies. I think the Golden Globes not nominating TDK for BP is shit, but I think the minute the industry starts nominating films due to money, Hollywood becomes even more hyper-commercialized. Thing is, most audience go to movies to see fun escapism. The 'big' award kinda shows generally nominate more provoking movies, which are often better and more difficult to make.

Iron Man didn't deserve to be mentioned anywhere. Kudos to them.

Final Blaxican
The dog movie I was thinking of was called "Marley and Me", by the way.

Just throwin that out there ermm

Ridley_Prime
Oh. I thought you were talkin' about some other dog movie. lol There's plenty of 'em, but yeah. I see what ya mean, and I agree that movies shouldn't be given awards based on how much money they make, but Ledger's award was still well-earned regardless.

SelinaAndBruce
I was very happy to see Heath won. I was also rooting for Rourke having just seen the Wrestler today and finding it a superb work

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I was very happy to see Heath won. I was also rooting for Rourke having just seen the Wrestler today and finding it a superb work

Placidity
This was nothing unexpected...

Now, lets hope he wins the Oscar.

SnakeEyes

It's people like you that... that well, suck. Like another poster said, Indie=Independent, not Indian. Also, although the movie takes place in Mumbai, etc, it isn't an Indian/Bollywood film (if that's what you meant). Money isn't and shouldn't be a factor, Slumdog Millionaire was a great film and deserved the awards it received. With that said, I do think that TDK should've been nominated for more than the one category it had, but alas, shit happens.

Anti-Monitor
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Indie, indie, indie, not Indian. From the word independent. Everybody loves indies because everyone loves to root for the underdog, free of the 'evil commercial studios' everyone loves to hate. Which is actually kinda good; you often see the lack of studio intervention in indies.

Thing is, the People's Choice Awards is out there for 'popular consensus' movies. I think the Golden Globes not nominating TDK for BP is shit, but I think the minute the industry starts nominating films due to money, Hollywood becomes even more hyper-commercialized. Thing is, most audience go to movies to see fun escapism. The 'big' award kinda shows generally nominate more provoking movies, which are often better and more difficult to make.

Iron Man didn't deserve to be mentioned anywhere. Kudos to them.

IM could have won the Special Effects award.

Anti-Monitor
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It's people like you that... that well, suck. Like another poster said, Indie=Independent, not Indian. Also, although the movie takes place in Mumbai, etc, it isn't an Indian/Bollywood film (if that's what you meant). Money isn't and shouldn't be a factor, Slumdog Millionaire was a great film and deserved the awards it received. With that said, I do think that TDK should've been nominated for more than the one category it had, but alas, shit happens.

None of my fav films wins best picture its always some boring ass film. DK is one of the best Crime Dramas ever!!! with a huge box office. And the movie didnt even get nominated? Bullshit. They are just bias against comic book movies.

Kazenji
They are just bias against comic book movies.

Yep. They can't accept the fact that a comic book movie has been made really good and done well

on the topic of all this sort of thing not sure if anyone has seen this on the marvel site

Sid Ganis President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and a member of Marvel's Board of Directors discussing comic book movies

http://www.marvel.com/news/.6485.Wolverine%2C_Super_Heroes_and_the_Oscars

Master Crimzon
None of my fav films wins best picture its always some boring ass film.

No Country for Old Men is boring? The Departed is boring? Silence of the Lambs is boring? Lord of the Rings is boring?

WTF? I used to be part of the whole 'Academy only chooses boring movie for snobs' idea, but eventually I realized it was stupid and short-sighted. I don't always agree with the Academy's choices, but best picture winners are generally very good.

SelinaAndBruce
I think Slumdog Millionaire will win it best pic but of all the movies i've seen so far (and i have not seen millionaire yet) the Wrestler should definitely be nominated

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.