2008 Golden Globes results

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~JP~

SnakeEyes
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498894&from=thread&pagenumber=1#post11474661

Heretic Smellin
Slumdog Millionaire raked 'em in. Personally, I think it looks a bit cheesy and contrived.

Strangelove
Slumdog Millionaire won one award, it didn't "rake 'em in". It was a big win, though.

BackFire
Slumdog is a masterpiece, deserves whatever it wins.

It's a bit conventional in the outcome, but that doesn't stop it from being extremely affecting and powerful.

Heretic Smellin
Originally posted by Strangelove
Slumdog Millionaire won one award, it didn't "rake 'em in". It was a big win, though.

Really? Because I count four. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6hamU7XGQZCxbAuBM0UQKIjaQTQD95LCDCO0

As for it being a masterpiece, I'll have to give it a watch. That's good to hear though, and I look forward to watching it.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Heretic Smellin
Really? Because I count four. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6hamU7XGQZCxbAuBM0UQKIjaQTQD95LCDCO0

As for it being a masterpiece, I'll have to give it a watch. That's good to hear though, and I look forward to watching it. ...oh. I guess I didn't read the whole post thoroughly. My bad.

Heretic Smellin
No worries. Christ knows how you managed that, though.

SnakeEyes
Even though I haven't seen The Wrestler, I'm disappointed it wasn't nominated for more awards, because I know it'll be a quality film. Same goes for The Dark Knight, it deserved nominations in Score, Direction, Screenplay and Picture. Very glad Slumdog won multiple awards and I'm satisfied with Ledger getting the Supporting Actor win.

Also, I haven't seen Let the Right One In, but I've heard so so many good things that I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for Best Foreign Picture.

guy222
Glad Mickey won

MildPossession
I'm very disappointed that Winslet won over Kristin Scott Thomas for I've Loved You So Long, Winslet is good but her performance in Revolutionary Road was nothing special imo.

I'm very happy about Sally Hawkins winning in her catagory smile

Good night for the British.

~JP~
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498894&from=thread&pagenumber=1#post11474661

Ok dude thats SERIOUSLY wacked because I promise I did a search TWICE using Golden Globe Awards and then just Golden Globes and the only thing that came up was stuff about the Oscars. How weird. blink

SnakeEyes
No worries, the search function is pretty bad. Maybe we can get a mod to merge the two threads and have a Golden Globe mega-topic, eh?

SpaceMonkey
Slumdog is crap. That's why I don't watch these damn award shows.

Impediment
I give less than a shit about award ceremonies. I may be the MDF mod, but I don't pander to that brainless and biased dreck.

SelinaAndBruce
I think the Wrestler should have been nominated for more as well

fruits
I was very upset that Milk and Dark Knight only received one nomination each. Both deserved Best Picture nominations along with more.

Slumdog was a very very good film. It was obvious it would do incredibly well at the Golden Globes, as they are voted on by the Hollywood FOREIGN Press Association. It will do very well at the Oscars too, but it may not sweep the major categories like it did here. I think it will win Best Picture at the Oscars.

I was very happy that Kate Winslet won two awards, that girl deserves it.

Mickey Rourke looks very good in the Wrestler, but I still think the Oscar will go to Sean Penn. The HFPA just hates him because he never bothers to show up to the Golden Globes.

Really happy that Colin Farrel won. He gave a great speech, as did Tina Fey.

jinXed by JaNx
I really don't know how Darren Arronofsky wasn't nominated for best Director. How did revolutionary road make best motion picture nomination but the Wrestler didn't?

I guess because Hans Zimmer was nominated for Frost/Nixon he was niminated for the Dark Knight which is just shitty. The score for the Dark Knight was incredible.

and how the hell does Gran Torino get nominated for best original song? That song was AWWWFUL. I thought it was a joke when i first heard it. There is nothing redeeming about that song. The only reason it was nominated is because hollywood is on Eastwoods dick.

Ace of Knaves
Slumdog was a great movie. Also John Adams; I really enjoyed that series. I can understand people having different opinions on movies and television, but someone has got to explain to me why everyone thinks 30 Rock is at all good. I just don't get it's appeal.

MildPossession
I hope all these Winslet fans are not saying she deserved the awards just because she hadn't won any before hand everytime she was nominated... like with Scorsese(sp?) winning his Directing Oscar...

fruits
Haven't seen either films, but I think Revolutionary Road looks better then The Wrestler. They both look great though

Agreed that Dark Knight's score is amazing, and that hollywood would suck Clint's dick in a heartbeat

I really think Winslet deserved it. For legit. And when Scorsesse won he definitely deserved it to.

fruits
Originally posted by Ace of Knaves
Slumdog was a great movie. Also John Adams; I really enjoyed that series. I can understand people having different opinions on movies and television, but someone has got to explain to me why everyone thinks 30 Rock is at all good. I just don't get it's appeal.
30 Rock...I've tried to watch it, and get it, and like it...i dont get it either. Tina Fey is the only thing I like about that show

AC/DC'S_LVR
in my opinion, slumdog won too many awards and yes The Dark Knight deserved more than just Best Supporting Actor

fruits
It will get a lot more oscar nominations for technical stuff and what not. Christopher Nolan definitely deserves a Best Director nomination though. He is my favorite director by far.

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by AC/DC'S_LVR
in my opinion, slumdog won too many awards and yes The Dark Knight deserved more than just Best Supporting Actor

You screamed out loud? Really?

Frankly, when it comes to award shows, those movies that win special effect or score or supporting actor or best costume awards are only given those awards so that they can boast those lesser category awards because there is no difference between best special effects or writting or directing, but only one movie can win best picture. I seriously doubt that The Dark Knight will win many more Oscar nominations than it did Golden Globe nominations.

MildPossession
Hardly, especially compared to some of his previous films that deserved a Directing Oscar. Especially when up against some of the other director's that year.

fruits
Originally posted by Ace of Knaves
You screamed out loud? Really?

Frankly, when it comes to award shows, those movies that win special effect or score or supporting actor or best costume awards are only given those awards so that they can boast those lesser category awards because there is no difference between best special effects or writting or directing, but only one movie can win best picture. I seriously doubt that The Dark Knight will win many more Oscar nominations than it did Golden Globe nominations.
There is no difference between special effects and writing awards? I don't get the point you're trying to make.

The Dark Knight is probably going to get nominated for Best Picture, Supporting Actor, Director, Cinematography, Visual Effects, Costume Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and maybe Art Direction and Score.

Those smaller categories matter, they aren't just throw away categories.

Oh, and The Departed is one of my top 10 favorite films, and my favorite Scorsesse film. Another thing is that the Academy doesn't only take into account the movie, they take a lot of other stuff into account too, which is kind of lame. Like if it's a comeback year for that specific person, or if they've never won before, yada yada yada. It's kind of lame but that's how it works. That's why Robert Downey Jr will probably get a supporting actor nomination, not for that role specifically, but because he had a comeback year with that film, and iron man.

willofthewisp
This is probably a stupid question, but who decides the winners of the Golden Globes? I understand how the Academy Awards work, then there are the SAG Awards and the People's Choice Awards, so who puts on the Golden Globes and what do they really honor that the others don't? They've always just kind of been a forerunner to the Academy Awards to me.

fruits
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association puts on and votes on the Golden Globes. It holds no real legitimacy over any other awards shows. SAG awards are voted on by actors...makes sense. For the Academy Awards, academy members vote in their area of expertise, except in best picture where everyone votes. The Golden Globes is just voted on by the HFPA, so if they dont like your film, you're pretty much screwed....like Milk and The Dark Knight were this year.

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by fruits
There is no difference between special effects and writing awards? I don't get the point you're trying to make.

No, there really isn't a difference. It's all the result of an industry that's congratulating itself. "Best" is a word that implies only one can win, so the rest of the categories reflect that many other films could have been "best".

fruits
No, other categories reflect that a movie is "best" in that specific category...a movie can have the "best" writing or the "best" visual effects but not be the "best" picture....

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by fruits
No, other categories reflect that a movie is "best" in that specific category...a movie can have the "best" writing or the "best" visual effects but not be the "best" picture....

Thank you for explaining the actual to me, but that is not what I'm talking about. My point is that all awards shows are to glorify a handful of films released in that category year, which follow the rules of the academy that glorifies them. Schindler's List might have won Best Picture in it's year, but there might have been films released in that category year that you liked more than Schindler's List and there's a huge number of people who would agree with you. Point being that films are subjective and films recieve awards for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they were all someone's favorite film. Or, as you would call it, "Best".

Mr Parker
I cant believe very few people want to see the movie Frost/Nixon. I made a thread of it and there has only been a couple of replys to it.Guess everyone hates Dick Nixon is why they wont see it or comment on it.Cant blame them I guess

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I cant believe very few people want to see the movie Frost/Nixon. I made a thread of it and there has only been a couple of replys to it.Guess everyone hates Dick Nixon is why they wont see it or comment on it.Cant blame them I guess

I can't speak for anyone else, but the movie just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Maybe because I wasn't alive when Nixon was in office, I don't know, but those type of films (Frost/Nixon, JFK, etc.) just don't do anything for me. Maybe I'd change my mind if I actually watched one and enjoyed it/got something from it, but as of now, there are just many more 2008 films that got my attention.

fruits
If I was curious about the whole Frost/Nixon thing, I'd probably just buy the actual tapes.....

You've got to admit...a movie about an interview? Doesn't appeal to many....I'm still going to see it because I need to see all academy award nominated films so I can actually attest to whether I think it's deserving or not...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.