Guile vs Kim Kaphwan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great
Kunsan Air Base, South Korea.

Colonel Guile is in the Far East with his family, visiting a family friend who was stationed in Kunsan.

At the same time, Kim Kaphwan is giving a Taekwondo exhibition on the same base, along with his two sons.

The Air Force commando is spending time with his daughter (while the wife is out and about in town), and takes her to the TKD exhibition. Kim recognizes Guile (the hair and the tattoos are a dead giveaway).

Hearing about his exploits, Kaphwan sees the American as a true follower of justice and politely requests a friendly match. Guile accepts the challenge.

Round One is in their Capcom incarnations.

Round Two is in their SNK incarnations

Round Three is the infamous Barrel Factory bonus stage from SF2.

Round Four is the brick breaking bonus stage from Fatal Fury 2.

Sado22
no feats on either side. Kim is faster and has more experience. Kim wins.

Darkstorm Zero
Faster? maybe in mormals, but not specials...

More experienced? No way, Guile's a military man, years of training, including under Charlie... Whats Kim's experience?

Sado22
are you serious? when was the last time you saw Guile moving as fast as Kim? yes his sonic boom is the fastest projectile but that's besides the point. we're talking about THEIR speed not their projectiles.

Guile is a military man yes but that has nothing to do with MA. he only went under Charlie's wing for a VERY short period of time and even by SFA3 he barely knew charlie that well and wasn't at all that good (something proven even in game). and SFA3 took place 2-3 years before SF2.

so no he's not more experienced.

~Sado

Darkstorm Zero
His flash kick too, is also faster than anything Kim does.

I could have sworn I read that Charlie was trining Guile for over 10 years...

And who knows how much EXP he got in the military... But you still didn't answer my question, where's Kim's EXP advantage?

Sado22
been training his whole life in taekwondo (he's 33), national icon, vigilante, gymnastics expert and a natural athelete. while Guile is big stupid slowass american soldier on steroids.

proof that his flashkick is faster by the way? does it use the same principal as sonicboom?

Darkstorm Zero
Originally posted by Sado22
been training his whole life in taekwondo (he's 33), national icon, vigilante, gymnastics expert and a natural athelete. while Guile is big stupid slowass american soldier on steroids.

proof that his flashkick is faster by the way? does it use the same principal as sonicboom?

I don't have access to my SFer material at work, so I'll have to get back to you with most of it, but you severely underestimate Guile with your "Guile is big stupid slowass american soldier on steroids" comment.. That alone proves your just again cutting into Capcom fighters for your kicks... #1: he's not that big, #2: he's not slow and #3: he's not on Steroids...

No. The Boom is a projectile made of energy, the Flash Kick is a ki empoweref physical attack, and it still moves faster than any of Kim's kicks.

Sado22
okay, you're right. he's not stupid no expression

he's never moved fast IIRC. especially not faster than Kim

of all the things i said, only THIS part was a joke.

how do you know it moves faster than Kim's? compare their speed for most of their moves. look at the phoenix combo and look at how Kim can do up to 4 kicks in a few seconds....as opposed to Guile and NONE of his moves move that fast.

~Sado

Darkstorm Zero
No, Sagat is big, Zangeif is friggin huge.. Guile is probably the buff side of average, especially for a SFer character.

Check his Final Impact super, he's fast when he needs to be.

Funny, he throws like 6 punches & kicks iin about 1.38 seconds. Same as Charlie. as for the flash kick, you can see the speed by the blade he creates purely out of the motion of the kick.

Sado22
no Sagat and Zangief are monsters. Guile is always drawn with too much bulk hanging on him except in the SFA series, but even there he was big. he's big.

.....have you seen the phoenix combo? especially the SDM version from KoF? no expression

the blade he creates IS the ki. it has nothing to do with his speed.

~Sado

I-Drop
I can't call any of the matches save round 2. That's dual suicide because SVC sucked & they hate themselves for being in it. Kim uses his flexibility & TKD skill to put his own foot thru his face. Guile decapitates himself w/a sonic boom. no expression

Darkstorm Zero
no Sagat and Zangief are monsters. Guile is always drawn with too much bulk hanging on him except in the SFA series, but even there he was big. he's big.

Look at him compared to Ryu or Ken... He's not all that much bulk for his height... Guy is the only person of that size/wight class who is skinnier... Your over-reacting.

.....have you seen the phoenix combo? especially the SDM version from KoF? no expression

Yes I have, and that doesn't countermand what I said now does it?

the blade he creates IS the ki. it has nothing to do with his speed.

~Sado

That may be true for Charlie, but not for Guile, not in any of the Sprite frames I've seen, the only times he's ever had actual visible ki in the flash kicks is in non-canon games. If you look at the sprite at the time the blade comes out, you'll see it's only a motion blur from his boot, rather than an actual energy attack.

Sado22
Darko: from waht i know, the decided to make THAT the move later on. i can't post any sources for that cuz it was AGES ago. if you look at this "flash" well Kim has them too.

as for size, he seems pretty bulky to me. Guile never struck me as your average gym going dude but hardcore steroid junkie. and then he IS from the airforce and those boys are always buff. but meh, this is purely a matter of opinion.

sNK hater! laughing out loud

I-Drop
laughing out loud I just really didn't like that game. It came after CVS2 so it should have been better or @least as good.

How would you compare Guile's frame to his fellow soldiers from KOF, Clark & Ralf?

BTW, anybody who lives near a Kay Bee Toy Store(going out of biz) can pick up NGBC for $5!!!! You'll probably have a French instruction booklet tho. The roster is awesome, not like the small stupid one in SVC mad

Drunk_of_Fury
Originally posted by Darkstorm Zero
the Flash Kick is a ki empoweref physical attack, and it still moves faster than any of Kim's kicks.

Ok but can you explain WHY Guile Only manege to do 1 kick in the Air and Kim on the Other hand can kick a somersault kick up and then flip over and Kick down while still in air ..... that's 1 kick more than Guile and hes slower you say DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH laughing

Evil Ryu
What are people basing on to claim Kim has more speed than Guile? Gameplay?
If in game properties reflected the character's real attributes then Ryu would be moving a lot faster considering his bullet dodging speed and Akuma's Kongou Kokuretsu Zan would be a full screen attack.
Snk usually exagerates more the moves in game and makes them more flashy while SF keeps them more simple (Hence Kim having 2 kicks in his flash kick), that's all. It doesn't really mean anything.
And the big steroid muscles that are supposed to make Guile slower... wouldn't they make him have more strength if that was the case?

Sado22
well, you do the math: kim does his phoenix combo which is a freakin blur, he can even dash in the air, do several summersaults while airborne and he even defies gravity in many of his moves by dashing while in midair, accelerating while in midair all that stuff. its not rocket science to say that Kim is faster.

ryu can dodge bullets. not outrun them. please don't make such mistakes again in your reasoning. as for KKZ, why would it be a screen filler?

the flashy argument can be debated.

~Sado

Evil Ryu
If Kim can do all that in the game then it makes sense that he could in the canon (Although I would classify most of those feats as aerial movement skill rather than speed) but that isn't my point. My point is that not seeing Guile doing stuff like that in the game is no reason to assume he is slow. There isn't really any reason at all to think he is slow. Capcom just kept his moveset as it was originally (in a game that came out before the impressing kids with cool ass fighting moves trend developed) and decided not to add any fancy stuff to it. That's all.
Guile in the game can follow up his sonic boom with little speed difference and attack along with it... does it mean that Guile is nearly as fast as a sonic boom (one of the fastest projectile in the game)? No. My point still stands: Gameplay doesn't represent accurately what the characters could fight like. Do we have to assume that Dan can punch as hard or that Sakura can take hits better than Akuma otherwise?
Look at DarkStalkers characters. The stuff they do in the game isn't really more impressive than what you see in SF, and still they are supposed to be a lot more powerful in the story.
I never said that Ryu can outrun bullets. All I'm saying is that Ryu's speed in the game doesn't look like bullet dodging speed. KKZ doesn't look like something that can split a mountain in half and yet it is (in game it looks like something that can't hurt someone standing a couple of meters away from Akuma and does absolutely nothing to the ground).

ThunderGodEneru
been training his whole life in taekwondo Taekwondo sucks.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Taekwondo sucks.

It really doesn't matter which martial art the character practices in fiction/games. That's one thing I learned from fighter games.

Sado22
yeah it does....but not more than US airforce homos wink

mate, Guile hasn't been shown to be fast even in the official media either. that's why. as for the rest, yeah sure that makes sense.

~Sado

Final Blaxican
yeah it does....but not more than US airforce homos wink

No, you're wrong unfortunately. TKD really does, factually, suck more than pretty much anything else combat related. It's pitiful levels of failure are hard to compete with.

Sado22
i know. frankie yagami is TKD expert......that's as close to "living f0ck up" as it gets laughing out loud

Final Blaxican
laughing out loud

Kazenji
I did'nt know people were instant experts on martial art styles.

Man of...
Anybody know where I can see Guiles' Alt. Costume for SFIV?

Sado22
its the same as charlies.

do this then: take taekwondo lessons and pick a fight with an 6th grader. most likely he'll kick your ass AND steal your lunch money.

i did taekwondo, shotokan, boxing, kick boxing and have read up and attended many exhibitions. Taekwondo is gymnastics with swift kicks but it wont get you nowhere in a real fight.

~Sado

Kazenji
And how long were you doing taekwondo ?

Sado22
3 years along with shotokan.

ThunderGodEneru
Shotokan?

Sado, you can do Shoryuken's?

Darkstorm Zero
Lol, imagine that.

"SADOOOOORYUKEN!!!"

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Kazenji
I did'nt know people were instant experts on martial art styles.

crylaugh

Sado22
foo, i'm the one that sank titanic. they just didn't want the world to know. dumb boat got between me and my training! evil face

laughing
better than Darko-gouku-satsu! mad

~Sado

Darkstorm Zero
laughing
better than Darko-gouku-satsu! mad

~Sado

laughing out loud

Oh come on Sado, you know you like it!

Sado22
god, i don't even want to imagine what you'll do when the lights go out mad

Darkstorm Zero
Heheheheee.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.