Notorious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
It's a biopic about the life and times of rapper Chris Wallace a.k.a. the Notorious Big, or how i've always called him, Biggie.

Ever since '94, he's been one of my top 5 fav rappers of all time. He's an excellent lyricist and showman. I still listen to his 1st album till this day and practically know it by heart. He's also from brooklyn too, like me. He's put that's city on the map to the fullest. More than any other rapper that came outta there..

I liked the movie. In fact in was better than i expected. The consistensy was seamless and flawless. I liked how there were even tid bits and small chucks of easter eggs that were sprinkled throughout the film that popped up every so often, that only Biggie fans knew about. #ut not bad enough to completely throw any one else off.

Some dude played 2pac (one of Biggies closest friends turned worst enemy and one of my top 5 fav rappers) and was in it quite a bit. He acted just like Pac. This girl played 'lil Kim; she did good. The guy playing Puffy did a real good job as well as that lady that played as Biggies' wife, singer Faith Evans. 'Lil Cease's character was ok. Suge Knight was even characterized. But no one shone more than the guy that played Biggie Smalls. Wow. Just wow. He was real good.

This movie had it all. From when he was a kid, to a crack selling teen to the whole east coast west coast rivaly, to how Pac was shot visiting biggie, and how they became mortal enemies cause of it and how they both were killed by gun fire not even a year apart.

good stuff.

my girl didn't wanna see it at first cause she said "we already know about him" but once she got out afterwards she wanted to see it again.

like i wrote, it was better than i expected, i recommend it, and i think that even people that didn't really know who Biggie was will enjoyed it. cause i saw alot of people in the audiendce who you'd never think knew about Biggie and they were in there either astonished or chuckling or dancing in their seats to the many memorable Biggie songs.

I give this film a 9/10.

Kovacs86
Who?

m.ramius
Every time I see the trailer to this movie I cringe.

Full of cliches like "We're gonna change the world!!" and "We can't change the world if we don't change " it seems to be nothing more than some pieced together MTV documentary.

Someone please explain to me how this "rapper" "changed the world". Also, if he did end up changing the entire planet with his rap songs, it seems like all he did was rap his way to a record deal. How is that exactly changing himself?

Final Blaxican
Watch the mopvie and find out. no expression

****in' DUH. stick out tongue

And by the by, I bet that if the movie was like a documentery of some clown like Dime Bag Darrel everyone and his mother would see it no questions asked.

Robtard
Judging from the preview, movie looks terrible, nothing but one giant ego-stroke for a dead man. Also don't care much for the man's music, Tupac is another story, but I doubt it focuses around his music, so I'm probably biased.

Maybe it'll rent it via Netflix in 6 months, give it a shot.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Who? laughing

SpaceMonkey
I will pass on this movie, I lived it. I watched the news, I bought the music, I read the mags. Seriously, the guy's been dead no more than 20 years. Give it time... no need for more Puff Daddy publicity. When a guy can play himself in someone else's "biopic", then it's too soon.

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I will pass on this movie, I lived it. I watched the news, I bought the music, I read the mags. Seriously, the guy's been dead no more than 20 years. Give it time... no need for more Puff Daddy publicity. When a guy can play himself in someone else's "biopic", then it's too soon.

Where the hell did you get 20 years from? He died in '97.

The movie looks like garbage from the trailer, I'll probably get the bootleg.

BruceSkywalker
I've seen this and liked it

zbucsz
Who? slap yourself three times

Darth Martin
Who? whistle

I plan on seeing this tonight. Thought the same thing when I saw the trailer. But then people(heavyweight critics) started saying it was great.

SnakeEyes
I have no desire to see this movie. I'm not going to pretend I was a fan of the man's music now that this film's out. Not only that, but the movie itself looked bad from the preview I watched a while back.

Lord S
I saw it...it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. Felt kinda rushed. Not a total disappointment...but could have been better. Biggie deserved better.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Where the hell did you get 20 years from? He died in '97.

Hence, NO MORE THAN 20 YEARS. I knew it was between 10 and 20.... sorry it's been a blur. Anyway, my point is, it's too soon.

Impediment
Meh. I've no desire to see a biopic about a very overrated rapper.

m.ramius
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Watch the mopvie and find out. no expression

****in' DUH. stick out tongue

And by the by, I bet that if the movie was like a documentery of some clown like Dime Bag Darrel everyone and his mother would see it no questions asked.

I don't think so. I like some hip-hop (not rap). If they were to make a movie about some artists like Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Run DMC, KRS-1, EPMD or Big Daddy Kane I'd watch it.

It's just my opinion that Biggie was simply a manufactured commercial product that contributed nothing to the music industry other than misogyny, glorification of violence and "street mentality". He didn't "change" anything...he was just more of the same, imo.

He had such an impact, for lack of a better term, because his record company paid for heavy rotation on MTV and people that watch MTV simply digest what they're told to digest and like what they're told to like.

FistOfThe North
I almost entirely liked Biggie cause of his lyrics, stories, and word play. Not what mtv showed which were the heavily censored, water-downed, edited verions of his songs. Besides the tracks that weren't on the radio or television, that were on his albums, were the better songs, i thought. Like his grimier stuff.

Anyway to each his own. I liked the movie, most didn't and that's the way it is. I'd watch it again and still recommend it. But i strongly believe that everyone's rightfully entitled to their own opinions. And if watching a 1min 40sec trailer makes you think that the whole entire movie sucks then.. that's just how you think.

Maybe it worked for me because i was a huge fan of his. Maybe that's the only one'd be able to appreciate the film. Cause i'll admit, if Axel Rose came out with a biopic, i'd be hesitant, cause although i've heard of him and maybe some of his music by accident or whatever, i'd still be "meh" about it.

but to each his own, right?..

Darth Martin
Well I thought it was great. Wasn't expecting too much b/c of the trailer. But man, have I rarely seen such a great, spot on cast. They didn't just cast rappers they casted people who could actually act. I though Woolard's potrayal of Biggie was on par with Denzel's potrayal of Malcolm X. Go see it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.