Academy Award Nominations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Wil

MildPossession
WALL.E has definitely won the Best Animation.

I'm disappointed about Sally Hawkins, and Kristin Scott Thomas not getting a nomination.

willofthewisp
I'm excited about the Best Actress nominations, though. It looks like a really strong group. Same with the Supporting roles.

2 surprises, at least for me: Leonardo DiCaprio is now 0 for 2 on nominations from movies he's starred with Kate Winslett. He's gotten nothing but rave reviews and yet he's not nominated...again?

The Dark Knight was named one of the best (in addition to successful) films of the year and other than Heath Ledger's nomination, it's only nominated for technical awards? I thought Return of the King paved the way for different kinds of movies to win Best Picture and the like. I'm excited for it to win Best Supporting Actor, though. A posthumous award hasn't been given out to a Supporting Actor since like 1976.

MildPossession
I believe The Dark Knight got all the right nominations, except a Music score nomination would have been nice too.

willofthewisp
Music, definitely, and I think it should have gotten a Directing nomination, as well as a Screenplay. We've all seen how easy it is to screw up Batman and the Joker.

MildPossession
I think there was no space for Director for him, all the Directors in the nominations are fantastic, not too sure on The Reader Director though.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by willofthewisp

We've all seen how easy it is to screw up Batman and the Joker.

When?

willofthewisp
The 60s Batman movie was what I had in mind.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, as I expected, The Dark Knight got left out of both the Best Picture and Director categories. I was surprised, and therefore even more upset, that it didn't get nominated for score. Also, I'm pissed that The Wrestler isn't up for Best Picture, that movie was great. Surely better than The Reader (from what I've heard). I don't put much stock in the Oscars, but usually the nominations at least meet my expectations, even if the right movies don't win. Not so this year, disappointing nominations.

BackFire
Think The Wrestler and Wall-E should have been nominated for best picture.

Once again I'm disappointed by the nominations.

Howard Beale
Pretty satisfying noms with 1 major drawback: Recognition for the Reader! Believe me this movie DOES NOT deserve the hype. It was decent AT BEST and not anywhere within a tenth as good as TDK or Wall-e. Stephen Daldry also DOES NOT deserve his nom. Would have been much better with Nolan or Stanton or a dozen other directors.
I love the oscars though and hope that BB and Milk win most of their categories since those are two of my favorite films.

fruits
Dark Knight should've been in best picture, and more importantly best director. Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors around today...The Reader=not so great. I also would've liked to see Dark Knight in Adapted Screenplay and Score

Surprised at the Leo snub

SelinaAndBruce
I'm sorry but no way should Benjamin Button have been nominated for Best Picture over the Wrestler or the Dark Knight IMO. I'm happy The Dark Knight took home 8 noms but I would have been more accepting of the best pic nom if Benjamin Button hadn't gotten one of the slots.

Screenplay and director without a doubt for the Dark Knight too.

celestialdemon
I'm really surprised neither The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, or Wall-E didn't get a Best Picture nomination.

Walker.I
I'm glad Benjamin Button got up there, but I'm really surprised about Richard Jenkins and Melissa Leo's nominations. Those were the performances that people wanted in there but no one ever honestly thought would make it, so I'm pretty happy. I'm not happy that "The Dark Knight" didn't get a nomination for Picture or score. I'm not surprised that Wall-E didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it's still animated no matter how good it is and that's why they created the animated section so they didn't have to put an animated film in the Best Picture category again.

Howard Beale
I'm surprised that TDK and Wall-e BOTH got snubbed, and annoyed. I'm really glad Melissa Leo slipped in cause she was fantastic. I'm not surprised the wrestler got snubbed from a lot of categories though, it's not as baity as far as content and is mostly an actor movie between Rourke and Tomei. Acting pieces just don't really get as much heat, (Doubt).
FYI I just saw a commercial for BB where they are already advertising the Nominations success: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is the most Oscar nominated movie of the year with 13 nominations" Oh jumping jupiter!

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Walker.I
I'm not surprised that Wall-E didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it's still animated no matter how good it is and that's why they created the animated section so they didn't have to put an animated film in the Best Picture category again.

Which is unfair because if an animated movie is good enough, it should be nominated for Best Picture. It would be like saying that any movie nominated for Best Foreign Language shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture since it has it's own separate category.

guy222
Glad Mickey was nominated

DeVuL
This is why I don't watch the AA's anymore... disappointing.. and how in the hell does RD Jr. get nominated for an AA in that type of film? Yah, he played a black man and the makeup was good an all, but best supporting actor? I don't get how that happened.... confused

SelinaAndBruce
It's more than he played a black man though. He also played a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. LOL. I was shocked by Robert Downey Jr too but honestly I think they did it more to celebrate his come back from the brink of self destruction, and they weren't gonna nominate his performance in Iron Man, so...lol

Master Crimzon
Dude. The Reader has 60 bloody percent on Rotten tomatoes. You know how high is that? I doubt it's even in the 'top 200' films of the year. It's universally considered to be a mediocre movie. It's very, very close to being 'Rotten', which means that the Academy picked the most politically correct movie which they can use as an excuse to snub Wall-e or TDK.

I've been pretty happy with the Academy for several years now, but come ****ing on. They couldn't go more than a few years without making a huge scandal, eh?

Hopefully this will go down in history as another 'Crash over Brokeback', or 'Forrest Gump over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction', or 'Shakespeare in Love over Private Ryan', or 'Fight Club not being nominated for anything'. I just hope the snubbed movies can survive in history because of their massive acclaim, despite snubs by the biggest of award shows.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by willofthewisp
The 60s Batman movie was what I had in mind.

Caesar Romero was great and of his time.

SnakeEyes
Saw Revolutionary Road tonight and I think that Leo should've been considered for best actor. I think Mickey Rourke should win, but Leonardo should've recieved a nomination imo.

SelinaAndBruce
Yea the Reader and Button need to go. I think The Dark Knight and the Wrestler should have taken their slots. Then the category would be perfect IMO

Howard Beale
Originally posted by DeVuL
This is why I don't watch the AA's anymore... disappointing.. and how in the hell does RD Jr. get nominated for an AA in that type of film? Yah, he played a black man and the makeup was good an all, but best supporting actor? I don't get how that happened.... confused

He was nominated because he was fantastic in that role and because it was an excellent movie. come on guys this wasn't Date Movie or something here, TT was a universally loved and critically praised spoof flick and Downey stole the show with mock up of crazy method acting. Besides he flowed seamlessly through the roles of a black sergeant, irish priest, and australian actor. It might just be me but that can't be easy.
In addition this entire category is just a formality since it is the only one that is totally and utterly decided already.

FistOfThe North
wow "Gran Turino" didn' t nominated for anything. that's a shocker.

also, even though I did see it, i for some reason thought "Australia" was gonna get some nods with the way it was heavily reviewed by critics and received by audiences.

Kazenji
That Australia movie was heavely reviewed nd received by audiences and critics really ?

did'nt say that on our news said it well received and was'nt making enough money at the US box office.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
wow "Gran Turino" didn' t nominated for anything. that's a shocker.

Gran Torino doesn't deserve any nominations imo.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Kazenji
That Australia movie was heavely reviewed nd received by audiences and critics really ?

did'nt say that on our news said it well received and was'nt making enough money at the US box office.

yea, it got rave reviews.. the 2 biggest newpapers in my city (rivals that disagre on almost everything) applauded it. saying the story was great. a ton an entertaimnent and media rags gave it good reviews. I never heard anything bad about it and it looked like a sweeping type of action romace type of move the way of "gone with the wind" or "titanic" it had 2 genuine and famous australians starring in it "hugh jackman" a good actor, and nicole kidman, a best actress oscar winner.

I just though I was gonna have a chance. o well.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Gran Torino doesn't deserve any nominations imo.

well to each his own. imo it does.

It's a hell of a story in which Clint not only starred in but also directed and wrote himself.
You don't see many 70yr old people pull that off in Hollywood.

dadudemon

It's a hell of a story in which Clint not only starred in but also directed and wrote himself.

I agree.

Isn't there a category for special effects and best special effects scene/moment?

I really like those nominations.

Also, I think Robert Downey did a really good job in Ironman as far as his acting goes. I seriously would not bat an eye if he was nominated in that role. I really like Robert as an actor and I think he did deliciously well in his role as Ironman.

In a similar vein, I was utterly entranced with every second Heath was on the screen in TDK. It was truly a pleasure to watch every little thing he did. It was just...satisfying in a "crazy genius killer" kind of way.

I am really getting tired of this bullshit AA. I like the people's choice awards so much more. I know this won't make sense to anyone but, the AA is like the Mr. Olympia and the PCA is like the Arnold Classic.

MildPossession
I would also love to see O Saya win for Best Song from the film Slumdog Millionaire, fantastic piece.

Impediment
I never watch these award shows because they're just too biased, in my opinion. The only movie I am rooting for is Wall-E.

Bardock42
I am rooting for The Dark Knight, a comic movie winning a bunch of those would be freaking sweet.

SnakeEyes

"Hell of a story"? Hardly. But, like you said, to each his own.

And Clint Eastwood did NOT write this film. I'd be ashamed if he did, because there are some truly terrible moments of dialogue.

Howard Beale
yea, it got rave reviews.. the 2 biggest newpapers in my city (rivals that disagre on almost everything) applauded it. saying the story was great. a ton an entertaimnent and media rags gave it good reviews. I never heard anything bad about it and it looked like a sweeping type of action romace type of move the way of "gone with the wind" or "titanic" it had 2 genuine and famous australians starring in it "hugh jackman" a good actor, and nicole kidman, a best actress oscar winner.

I just though I was gonna have a chance. o well.

Australia did not receive rave reviews, it got mixed reviews. It was a very splitting film, people either love it, or loved to hate it, but it split pretty much down the line with a low 50% at RT. I thought it was great but not really that award worthy apart from cinematography and costumes.

In addition GT does not at all deserve any nominations with the exception of Clint's acting. I'm sorry we don't honor people just because they directed themselves and their 78 unless that directing is worth recognition. It was not. I love Clint but this is one of his worst pieces of work in a while. Oh and he did not write this movie Nick Schenk wrote it, and did a terrible job.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by dadudemon
I agree.

Isn't there a category for special effects and best special effects scene/moment?

I really like those nominations.

Also, I think Robert Downey did a really good job in Ironman as far as his acting goes. I seriously would not bat an eye if he was nominated in that role. I really like Robert as an actor and I think he did deliciously well in his role as Ironman.

I agree. RDJ was the best thing about the film. I thought the action sequences sucked, to be honest, but he was awesome as Tony Stark...

Bardock42
I thought it was an all around good movie. RDJ is a very enjoyable actor though.

Master Crimzon
RDJ is a good actor, yeah, but please... a nomination for his role in Tropic Thunder? He did a very good part, but it wasn't any better than, say, Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading.

Btw, I finally managed to watch Benjamin Button, and although I thought it was too long, I think it's a very good movie and deserving of its nomination. Especially the effects; it's one of the best uses of CGI I've ever seen.

Howard Beale
RDJ deserves the nom because of the variety provided in the role and the simple bizarre nature of it. Brad Pitt was great in BAR but he didn't provide any real variety to the role, he was just a bizarre energetic freak, RDJ was more in-depth.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kovacs86
I agree. RDJ was the best thing about the film. I thought the action sequences sucked, to be honest, but he was awesome as Tony Stark...

Agreed. I'm so glad he got over his drugs and didn't kill himself like Chris Farley.

Also...

The viewing "venue" makes all the difference for a moivie. I heard from a professional audio/video guy (home theaters) that sound comprises 40-60% of the viewing experience. Did you watch Ironman in a 100% digital theater that was THX certified?

Loud sound doesn't cut it for me. It has to be crisp, full "spectrum" sound with excellent channel clarity. A digital picture is a MUST for me now. Once you go digital, you won't go back.

Having said that, out of all the movies I saw last year, I would say that Ironman had the best special effects. Unless I'm forgetting something. The Hulk didn't seem as polished, visually, as Ironman. However, the sound in both was great.

But, yeah, RDJ is a delight to watch in his movies, as of late. Even in his interviews he's laid back and down to Earth.

tom_servo
Am I the only one thinking that "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is going to win best picture? I don't understand people's fascination with it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by tom_servo
Am I the only one thinking that "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is going to win best picture? I don't understand people's fascination with it.

I must say that it was quite AA-ish. Meaning, it seemed to be the exact type of movie that the Academy likes to give the award for best picture to.

I thought it was too long, but it was enjoyable. I wouldn't be offended if it won best picture.

I know this is lame, but....

I would like to see another movie with the best picture, but I can't think of a good one form 08.

SnakeEyes
Slumdog Millionaire...

Howard Beale
BB definitely deserves it more than SM. Personally I would like to see Milk get it but that appears unlikely at this point.

MildPossession
Oo I noticed The Fall is in your sig list, I really really want to see that, looks amazing.

Howard Beale
Originally posted by MildPossession
Oo I noticed The Fall is in your sig list, I really really want to see that, looks amazing.
You definitely should, it is a truly incredible movie, imagination and fantasy at their very best big grin

fruits
Some thoughts:

I'm glad The Dark Knight picked up the nominations it did, but it really should've been in Best Director and Best Picture

Revolutionary Road was snubbed big time. Imo it belonged in Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Cinematography, and maybe Score and Art Direction

Wanted was nominated for both sound categories? I can see why I guess, but I wish a better film like Defiance could've taken those spots

Robert Downey Jr. was pretty much being rewarded for his comeback year as a hole with his great role in Tropic Thunder, that's cool.

The Reader wasn't terrible, but it doesn't NOT belong in Best Picture and Best Director

I'm hoping Sean Penn wins Actor. I would like Milk to win Best Picture, but I know Slumdog will take it.

Bruce Springsteen's "The Wrestler" was snubbed BIG time in Best Song....in favor of TWO Slumdog songs? Lame

fruits
Also, SO glad Gran Torino did not get a single nomination.....

and really glad In Bruges got a Screenplay nomination, but I'm rooting for Dustin Lance Black for penning Milk

If this wasn't Heath Ledger's year, I would say Michael Shannon would be very tough competition in the Supporting field for his role in Rev Road

Howard Beale
Originally posted by fruits
Some thoughts:

I'm glad The Dark Knight picked up the nominations it did, but it really should've been in Best Director and Best Picture

Revolutionary Road was snubbed big time. Imo it belonged in Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Cinematography, and maybe Score and Art Direction

Wanted was nominated for both sound categories? I can see why I guess, but I wish a better film like Defiance could've taken those spots

Robert Downey Jr. was pretty much being rewarded for his comeback year as a hole with his great role in Tropic Thunder, that's cool.

The Reader wasn't terrible, but it doesn't NOT belong in Best Picture and Best Director

I'm hoping Sean Penn wins Actor. I would like Milk to win Best Picture, but I know Slumdog will take it.

Bruce Springsteen's "The Wrestler" was snubbed BIG time in Best Song....in favor of TWO Slumdog songs? Lame

I agree on almost all accounts, although I have not seen RR so i cannot comment there yet. I'll get to it soon. I want Milk to win everything possible it was a fantastic movie and considerably better than SM or BB or anything else for that matter, (the only film I wouldn't mind beating it would be Wall-e but due to animation it was snubbed a BP nom)

Howard Beale
Also, SO glad Gran Torino did not get a single nomination.....

and really glad In Bruges got a Screenplay nomination, but I'm rooting for Dustin Lance Black for penning Milk

If this wasn't Heath Ledger's year, I would say Michael Shannon would be very tough competition in the Supporting field for his role in Rev Road

Actually screenplay is the one place where I'm rooting for something other than Milk, In Bruges and Wall-E both REALLY deserve that award (leaning towards In Bruges though)
I am not really against GT but it doesn't really deserve any recognition except maybe Eastwood's acting, but even there I think all other candidates picked were better.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Howard Beale
I want Milk to win everything possible it was a fantastic movie and considerably better than SM or BB or anything else for that matter

I haven't seen Milk yet, but I doubt it's better than The Wrestler, wink

Howard Beale
haha they are both filmmaking at its' best but Milk is slightly better on all accounts to me, slightly better lead, slightly better supporting cast, slightly better direction slightly better screenplay. I love love love the wrestler, it was fantastic but Milk edges it in just about every way, its' simply put together more effectively and comes of a little bit better.
Also the subject matter of milk holds considerably more to me personally than that of the wrestler.

fruits
You really should see Revolutionary Road, it's great.

I personally liked The Wrestler, but not that much....I gave it an 8.5. I think Mickey Rourke is great, and the only real competition for Sean Penn. But the movie as a whole didn't do much for me...I thought it moved pretty slow, seemed too natural, if that makes sense....good story, but didn't really have any kind of lasting effect on me like Milk did.

In Bruges is great, but I personally would rather see Milk win in screenplay.

Ha, i would not complain if Milk won every category it was nominated in...

fruits
If I had an Oscar ballot it would look like this:

1. Milk
2. The Dark Knight
3. Revolutionary Road
4. Slumdog Millionaire
5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Howard Beale
If I had an Oscar ballot it would look like this:

1. Milk
2. The Dark Knight
3. Revolutionary Road
4. Slumdog Millionaire
5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
wow RR way up there? We seem to have very similar tastes so I really must see that.
Mine would form up more like:

1.Milk
2. Wall-E
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
4. The Wrestler
5. The Dark Knight

I know that's a little different from my sig list, that's because it's supposed to be BP not my favorite. I love doubt and In Bruges but neither are really BP type movies, doubt relies too much on cast and has mediocre directing and In Bruges is too comedic and has too light of a touch, its' just not the kind of thing that deserves a BP nom, although I thought the director should've been recognized with a BD nom.

celestialdemon
My Oscar ballot would be:

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
The Dark Knight
Wall-E

Howard Beale
I agree with most of these with the exception of the vastly overrated Slumdog. But good taste people yes I approve!

MildPossession
Slumdog may be overrated but I would love to see MIA and co win for that song, it's brilliant. I love The Wrestler but not a BS fan so it didn't do anything for me.

In Bruges was fantastic, I thought I was going to hate it when it first came out here in England, but it's excellent!!

Oh I most definitely will be seeing it, astonishing!

SelinaAndBruce
I just did see it, and in my opinion no it is not.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by celestialdemon
My Oscar ballot would be:

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
The Dark Knight
Wall-E
I think that would actually be a more acceptable best pic category than what we have now

Sado22
slumdog was overrated as hell really. the fact that the movie is indian technically and that 1/6th of the world population happens to be indians seems to explain a lot of it......if not all of it.

~Sado

Howard Beale
Originally posted by Sado22
slumdog was overrated as hell really. the fact that the movie is indian technically and that 1/6th of the world population happens to be indians seems to explain a lot of it......if not all of it.

~Sado

Yay someone that agrees with me! It was so undeserving of the praise it got, which caused Milk to be almost overlooked sadly.

SnakeEyes

~Sado

Yes, everyone who enjoyed Slumdog is Indian.

Sado22
yes. the story was weak and like any other indian movie you can watch. nor was the direction or dialogues any great. it was a regular Bollywood movie.

Master Crimzon
... it's not a Bollywood movie. It's 'Bollywood-inspired'. The director, Danny Boyle, is English and the production itself is labeled 'English'. However, he used a Bollywood director as his co-director in order to have a better grasp of the scenes shot in Hindi and, of course, India's culture.

Seriously, people. Get your facts straight.

MildPossession
Bad direction? all I've heard is postives in that direction especially on some cinematography/camera shots throughout the film.

MildPossession
Beale- Didn't realise but The Fall is out on DVD here in England, so should get to see it sooner than planned, can't wait.

SnakeEyes
yes. the story was weak and like any other indian movie you can watch. nor was the direction or dialogues any great. it was a regular Bollywood movie.

Honestly, you're just stupid. Like Crimzon said, it's not an Indian movie. The direction WAS great, but I doubt you'd know anything about that. And again, it wasn't Bollywood; Bollywood movies are actually far different (they don't show the slums/poverty, oftentimes they aren't even filmed in India). And let me just point out how ridiculous you sound: "nor was the dialogues any great." I'd argue against that, but I'm afraid you wouldn't understand my retort.

botankus
Which is unfair because if an animated movie is good enough, it should be nominated for Best Picture.
Beauty and the Beast and Babe (slightly animated) were both nominated for Best Picture.

So really, Wall-E is that good? I haven't seen it, but I swear, the last 20 animated/cartoon/Pixar movies I've seen were so formulaic, I want to vomit all over the screen. I'm like, "I've seen this before--but with a bear as the main character instead of a robot (or a cow, or a horse, or a toy, etc...)!!!!"

Howard Beale
Originally posted by MildPossession
Beale- Didn't realise but The Fall is out on DVD here in England, so should get to see it sooner than planned, can't wait.
GET IT NOW! haha if you have any taste at all you will not be disappointed! Let me know what you think as soon as you see it.

Howard Beale
Originally posted by botankus
Beauty and the Beast and Babe (slightly animated) were both nominated for Best Picture.

So really, Wall-E is that good? I haven't seen it, but I swear, the last 20 animated/cartoon/Pixar movies I've seen were so formulaic, I want to vomit all over the screen. I'm like, "I've seen this before--but with a bear as the main character instead of a robot (or a cow, or a horse, or a toy, etc...)!!!!"
First of all originality is not the only element to a film. Formulaic they may have been but they were still excellent films in everything else: direction, animation, character development, stylization, editing, seriously everything about Pixar is fantastic. And Wall-E was a new height for them in every way. Also it has it's formulaic moments but it is a relatively new spin on anything done in animation before.

Sado22
i didn't say it was a bollywood movie literally but that it felt like one. let me help you see this right:

i know because unlike you i've seen bollywood movies and understand and speak hindi perfectly......i should considring that i'm from that part of the world. stop telling people to get their facts straight when you can't even comprehend simple english. I used to watch bollywood movies regularly and even kept track of my favorite actors and actresses for a very, very long time. i have since then gotten bored of bollywood's repetitive BS and moved on to other things. so excuse me for not being impressed from a cliched bollywood story.

slums and poverty were vastly portrayed in indian movies before but have since stopped. in fact, Amitabh Bachan (the robert deniro of bollywood if you may) often acted as a downtrodden angry man from the slums. go watch a bollywood movie before you talk. Amar Akbar Anthony, Lawaris, and several others were of that type with him acting like the local town's "bhai" (gangster) and these were the movies that made him the icon he is. i'd know because i've always been a big fan of his and have seen practically every movie he did in his prime. and again, i've been following bollywood movies for a long time stopped a few years back due to its cliches and refusal to come up with something new (kinda like present day hollywood).
and next time, dont' come down to flaming someone just cuz they disagree with you or did a grammer mistake in a forum. grow up.

are you stoned? cuz, damn...
it was mediocre movie, needlessly overhyped with the most cliched plot in the world. just another "bollywood movie".

~Sado

Sado22
when is the whole academy award thing taking place?

SnakeEyes
slums and poverty were vastly portrayed in indian movies before but have since stopped. in fact, Amitabh Bachan (the robert deniro of bollywood if you may) often acted as a downtrodden angry man from the slums. go watch a bollywood movie before you talk. Amar Akbar Anthony, Lawaris, and several others were of that type with him acting like the local town's "bhai" (gangster) and these were the movies that made him the icon he is. i'd know because i've always been a big fan of his and have seen practically every movie he did in his prime. and again, i've been following bollywood movies for a long time stopped a few years back due to its cliches and refusal to come up with something new (kinda like present day hollywood).
and next time, dont' come down to flaming someone just cuz they disagree with you or did a grammer mistake in a forum. grow up.

are you stoned? cuz, damn...
it was mediocre movie, needlessly overhyped with the most cliched plot in the world. just another "bollywood movie".

~Sado

When you say things like "it's just another bollywood movie" or "it's like any other Indian movie" or "the direction's not anything great," how am I supposed to not call you stupid? Especially the last statement; have you even seen the film?

No I'm not stoned, it's sarcasm.

If you think it was a mediocre movie, fine, I'm totally okay with that. It just bugs me when people give shit (sometimes altogether false) reasons as to why they disliked something. I mean, come on, your claims aren't even legitimate.

Master Crimzon
Sado, when you claim a movie is 'just a regular Bollywood movie', that would make the implication that you think it is a Bollywood movie. If you knew it wasn't, you should say something along the lines of 'it's just like a regular Bollywood movie', the 'just like' making the implication that it actually isn't one. See?

Honestly, I was just correcting you on the facts. I have no problem with you disliking the film.

MalbolgiaRabban
I haven't really seen much from 2008, or any movies in recent years for that matter, but the thing about movies, you can always count on more. wink

Sado22
i think i said "its like any other bollywood movie". btw, i look back at it and i think i overreacted. sorry about that and i didn't mean any offense.

some people claimed that Heath Ledger was crap in dark knight. and the people saying this were genuine movie critics. the problem with movies is pretty much the one you get with any form of literature: subjectivity. for some 300 was a great epic. for others it was a facist, blood orgy. some loved the direction. others hated it. so if i say "just another bollywood movie" or that its "like anyother bollywood movie" or that "the direction wasn't anything great" its MY prespective and opinion. i'm not flaming anyone for disagreeing with me.

i didn't even say the direction was bad. i said it wasn't that great. and there wasn't anything epic about the direction...and i'm in a position to make that claim because i've seen original bollywood movies and those that aren't exactly "mainstream". the direction didn't strike me as "great" but i never said it wasn't "good". maybe i sounded a little harsh but what i meant to say was that the direction wasn't "great" but it was good nonetheless.

~Sado

Menetnashté
Wow...so many good movies were overlooked, looks like Slumdog, Milk, Wrestler, and benjamin button overtook everything else.

SnakeEyes

fruits
Originally posted by botankus

Just to clarify, Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture in a year when a Best Animated Film category didn't exist.

Anyway, I finally saw Frost/Nixon, which I thought I would hate, but I really really liked.

And I really liked Slumdog. Cinematography was VERY good, and the story was good too! Good direction from Danny Boyle, no doubt.

I would give Milk best picture over Slumdog in a heartbeat....but unfortunately i'm pretty sure that's not how it will pan out, but I won't be upset at all with the inevitable Slumdog win

MildPossession
Boyle looks like he might win the Best Directing Oscar, he won the Director's Guild one and the winner of that nearly always go on to win the Oscar for it too. I think I read 6 out of the whole lot of winners of the DG haven't gone on to win the Oscar, so it's a good bet he will.

FistOfThe North
i wonder what do the Oscars' do or use to qualify a best picture nominee and/or winner into that catagory? And best actor/actress/director..

BackFire
Shitty show. About the only interesting thing was Rourke not winning (because he clearly should have) and Penn using the stage to be an obnoxious douche bag about prop 8.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by BackFire
Shitty show. About the only interesting thing was Rourke not winning (because he clearly should have) and Penn using the stage to be an obnoxious douche bag about prop 8.

Same here. Rourke was far better than Penn this year.

Am I the only one who is tired of Sean Penn? I don't think he's as good an actor as they try to make us believe. I've seen lots of his movies, and I swear he plays Sean Penn in every role (except I Am Sam, another crappy role he was nominated for). When he's on screen, I just don't believe him.

BackFire
He tends to overact.

jinXed by JaNx
Same here. Rourke was far better than Penn this year.

Am I the only one who is tired of Sean Penn? I don't think he's as good an actor as they try to make us believe. I've seen lots of his movies, and I swear he plays Sean Penn in every role (except I Am Sam, another crappy role he was nominated for). When he's on screen, I just don't believe him.

I totally agree. I don't think he is a bad actor but i only see him playing two characters, good guy Sean Penn and bad guy Sean Penn and there isn't much difference between the two. The most diverse performance i've seen him play was in, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I'm not saying he was undeserving of a nomination but i definitely think Rourke had the better performance.

as far as the Academy Awards go i think it was relatively enjoyable this year. I liked Hugh Jackman but just like every other year there was no reason to watch the damn thing. Two hours of watching actors crying and kissing each others asses is never entertaining.

SnakeEyes
I really need to see Milk just so I can justifiably say that Mickey Rourke should've won. Right now, I'm upset that he didn't because man, he delivered a great performance.

Overall, the Oscars sucked, as I expected. Hugh Jackman was a charismatic host though and that was what I found most enjoyable. Too many great films got snubbed (mostly The Wrestler and The Dark Knight, but they got snubbed in multiple categories).

And I just want to sum up the ridiculousness of the Oscars by asking why Bruce Springsteen's song "The Wrestler" didn't even get nominated for best original song? I mean, it seems like that would've been the most definite song to get nominated, but it didn't even get considered. Wtf.

Raoul
imo, its criminal that clint eastwood wasn't even considered for gran torino...

*grumbles*

SnakeEyes
Eh, Clint wasn't that great. I mean, he wasn't bad but he was pretty much a parody of the stereotypical racist old man for most of the movie. I couldn't keep track of how many times he slowly raised his scowling face and let out a deep, throaty growl.

Raoul
Eh, Clint wasn't that great. I mean, he wasn't bad but he was pretty much a parody of the stereotypical racist old man for most of the movie. I couldn't keep track of how many times he slowly raised his scowling face and let out a deep, throaty growl.

i actually heavily disagree. just because it's an often done role doesn't mean for one minute that he wasn't great at it, imo. and not all the growl's were identical stick out tongue

SelinaAndBruce
Mickey Rourke was robbed and I am pissed because as a Wrestler fan I at least thought it made it somewhat okay for the Wrestler not to be nominated for Best Picture because I was sure Rourke was a shoe in for best actor. But that movie completely got snubbed now and that is irritating.

BackFire
I think the whole movie was robbed. It should have won best picture this year and it wasn't even nominated.

But Rourke not winning was just a shame. I've yet to hear anyone actually genuinely say that Penn deserved to win. All I heard was "Rourke should win" or "Penn will win because the academy doesn't like Rourke - he'll lose because of politics". Looks to be the case.

dadudemon
Dudes, dudes, dudes...

There's always the people's choice awards. big grin

I have found the Academy awards to be chronically out of touch. I discovered this when Moulin Rouge won two awards and nominated for a plethora of more. Best art direction-set decoration...when there were two other movies that were more worthy- Harry Potter (first film) and Lord of the Rings (first film).

I was like...lol...wtf? Are they serious? And they were. no expression

Then I inspected more about this Academy Awards and asked questions. Apparantly, the Academy goes off the beaten path quite often. It's pretty obvious that The Dark Knight was the best film for last year, by far. no expression

Rapscallion
i'm embarrassed to say i often agree with the academy's choices (at least more than other people do) but not this year. i was really disappointed by the nominations. as far as i'm concerned the films that were snubbed were

WALL E: best picture, best director
the Dark KNight: best adapted screenplay, best director
Revolutionary road: best actor (leonardo dicaprio), best actress(kate winslet)
The wrestler: best picture
Waltz with Bashir: best animated feature
Man on Wire: best picture (was never going to happen)
Gran Torino: Best Actor, best song
the Visitor: best original screenplay

any of the dozen plus films that were better than frost/nixon, Curious case, and the reader(in this case 20 plus films) got snubbed for best picture and best director

revolutionary road could have been nominated for every category that the Reader was nominated plus best actor. while not necessarily deserving, it is far more deserving than the empty pretentiousness of the Reader

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rapscallion
WALL E: best picture, best director

Though I don't agree, I can see this. I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if Wall-E took home best picture.

Originally posted by Rapscallion
the Dark KNight: best adapted screenplay, best director

Yes, I could see this.

And, yes, I agree that there were quite a few films left out of the nominations.

Ultimate Wil
IMO WALL-E should have won best picture

Ultimate Wil
I am happy that Heath won for supporting actor, and WALL-E won for animated movie

MildPossession
I am also disappointed that Rourke didn't win and Sean Penn did. Also disappointed with the Animated Short win too.

I didn't watch it because it was not on any channels here, and if it was I probably wouldn't have watched it, just got the results on the news.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Ultimate Wil
IMO WALL-E should have won best picture

I disagree completely. I mean, sure, Wall-e is a good film and I enjoyed it, but every time I hear "best animated movie ever" or "best picture material", I cringe.

Wall-e dares to be intelligent. That's fine. It's also a pseudo-silent movie. These things are revolutionary for a mainstream family film, but really, that's all it is. A less mainstream animated movie (like Hayao Miyazaki's flicks) can carry the same qualities, while delivering the same degree of intellectualism in a more subtle way.

While watching Wall-e, I felt that it's messages were dumbed down and revealed to the audience in order to entice children along with adults. For example, in the opening, one of the destroyed commercial buildings has dirty money on the floor. Could you possibly conceive any less subtle symbolism? The same applies for the obese guys later on. "They over-indulged in material wealth and in a culture that glorifies leisure... so, in order to symbolize that, we'll make them REALLY FAT!".

Overall, Wall-e is a smart film, but it's general message is relatively simplistic and delivered in an unrefined manner. It's hardly best picture material, IMO.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
It's also a pseudo-silent movie.

I know I taught you this word only recently, but you're usage is totally misplaced here. The word 'pseudo' has a derogatory context, but the beginning to Wall-E is in no way spurious. In fact, it is a homage to silent movies as Wall-E is almost Chaplin-like in his actions.

Thanks for coming out.

Master Crimzon
You really are doing your best to chase me all around the forums, huh?

Go back to your cave, troll.

Kovacs86
Well, there was a grand total of 0 surprises. I guess Sean Penn was something approaching one, but I wasn't particularly shocked- pleased, though. His speech was certainly the best that I saw (though Rourke's would've been better)...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
You really are doing your best to chase me all around the forums, huh?

Go back to your cave, troll.

Just clearing-up another one of your erroneous observations.

Think of me as a doing a public service.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I know I taught you this word only recently, but you're usage is totally misplaced here. The word 'pseudo' has a derogatory context, but the beginning to Wall-E is in no way spurious. In fact, it is a homage to silent movies as Wall-E is almost Chaplin-like in his actions.

Thanks for coming out.

I agree that psuedo would not be the best of choices because psuedo = false; however, the meaning isn't lost.

Would you recommend "semi-silent", then? What about fragmentary silence? Or how about sectionally silent? (That last one is probably the most accurate, really.)

Oo oo...How about sectionally dialogue deficient?

HOOORAY! Pontification FTW!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, using a word like 'deficient' implies that something is lacking in a qualitative sense. In the case of Wall-E, the speech at the beginning of the movie isn't lacking, it just isn't there. I prefer my description of this technique - I see it as a homage to the silent films of yesteryear, so I think that's the best description. Especially considering Wall-E's mannerisms can be seen as evocative of Chaplin's.

*burp*

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hmm, using a word like 'deficient' implies that something is lacking in a qualitative sense. In the case of Wall-E, the speech at the beginning of the movie isn't lacking, it just isn't there. I prefer my description of this technique - I see it as a homage to the silent films of yesteryear, so I think that's the best description. Especially considering Wall-E's mannerisms can be seen as evocative of Chaplin's.

*burp*

So spin it like so -

Wall-E was not sectionally dialogue deficient as much as it was laconically artistic.

Some might so that that is wordy, but then another, smarter person, would point out that one would have to double the number of words, practically, to convey the same idea. Even then, the actual intended idea might be slightly diminished on a sea of simple words used in describing the same thing.

BackFire
I would have loved had Wall-E won best picture, or had it even been nominated. Movie's a masterpiece.

Impediment
I never watch award shows because of their bias nature.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by dadudemon
So spin it like so -

Wall-E was not sectionally dialogue deficient as much as it was laconically artistic.

Some might so that that is wordy, but then another, smarter person, would point out that one would have to double the number of words, practically, to convey the same idea. Even then, the actual intended idea might be slightly diminished on a sea of simple words used in describing the same thing.

I am intoxicated with exuberance by the dexterity of your extensively loquacious magniloquence.

Kazenji
That visual Effects catagory i would've gone with Iron Man instead of a movie about some guy who gets born old.

SnakeEyes
Have you seen Benjamin Button? That movie deserved the visual effects/make-up awards. Subtle work like that is much harder to pull off than the cool stuff we saw in Iron Man.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, i agree. I thought Benjamin Button was very deserving of the award. The goal for the effects in Benjamin Button were to be presented without the audience knowing they were seeing CGI and it worked. I was very surprised with what they did with Brad Pitts face as he grew younger and younger. I actually had to research how they made him look so much younger while keeping such an uncanny resemblance. Otherwise, from i what i saw last year, Iron definitely had the best CGI.

I thought the awards were well called this year. The only category i had problems with were the Best picture and Best actor categories. Even though i throughly enjoyed Milk and Frost/Nixon i don't know why there were nominated for best movie. I suppose from a technical stand point they are near perfect films but neither movie provoked much emotion for me. Not nearly as much as, The Wrestler or Wall E.

That's just me though and i am glad that Slumdog Won but i think, The Reader was the better movie. The Reader accomplished something incredible in forcing the viewer into a kind of emotional dilemma. This, however, was acknowledged when Kate Winslet won.

As for Sean Penn, i didn't see anything from his performance in Milk that i haven't seen from him in any of his other movie's. That why i'm not on the Academy though laughing out loud

juliwats119

guy222
Wanted Mickey to win

gefallen_engel
The Wrestler was a real good one

Barker
Still kinda mad that Revolver didn't win Album of the Year in '67, but I guess Sgt. Pepper's win in '68 sorta makes up for it.

I just ****ing deplore that son of a ***** Sinatra that much more now.

BruceSkywalker
I hope the Penguin is in Batman 3 and hopes Eddie Murphy will play him

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I hope the Penguin is in Batman 3 and hopes Eddie Murphy will play him

seriously?

Röland
HAHAHA EDDIE MURPHY AS THE PENGUIN?

HAHA OH WOW!

MildPossession
Someone got the wrong section of the forum...

Bicnarok
Oscars are crap anyway. All the movies I liked never won Oscars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.