Dark Knight Nominated for 8 Acadamy Awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52150

Heath being the only nomination in the big categories. I would have loved to see "best director" or "best picture", but hearing 8 nominations is still pretty good.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I'm happy about the technical noms, but honestly, this movie deserved a lot more (Original Score, Picture, Director).

BruceSkywalker
I'm happy, but sad that Best Picture and Best Director were not included..

The thought of this being nominated says volumes for the academy

I-Drop
This film deserves to win. One of the best films I've ever seen

SelinaAndBruce
Should have had a best picture nomination. Benjamin Button shouldn't be up there. Hell I wouldn't be mad so much if the Wrestler had taken Benjamin Button's place and the Dark Knight had gotten shut out but the idea the Dark Knight and The Wrestler got shut out for Benjamin Button is annoying to me, lol

Master Crimzon
And my academy hatred rises again after several years of being 'pretty happy' with it.

If Batman wasn't based on a comic book, it would have been an absolute lock for winning all of the major categories. Oh well.

Anti-Monitor

Kovacs86
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
Should have had a best picture nomination. Benjamin Button shouldn't be up there. Hell I wouldn't be mad so much if the Wrestler had taken Benjamin Button's place and the Dark Knight had gotten shut out but the idea the Dark Knight and The Wrestler got shut out for Benjamin Button is annoying to me, lol

Isn't Benjamin Button any good? I'm really looking forward to seeing that (as I think Fincher's a genius)...

Master Crimzon
Aye, it's very good. Though it's really a 'hate it or love it' movie.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Isn't Benjamin Button any good? I'm really looking forward to seeing that (as I think Fincher's a genius)...
I heard it was all right. Typical Oscar bait. It only got a 72% on Rottentomatoes.com. I haven't seen it and I'm not saying it's a bad film but everything else in the Best Picture category but that and the Reader scored in the 90s on Rottentomatoes I just don't get how two films with such lukewarm reviews got in the best picture category over two films (The Wrestler and The Dark Knight) that had rave reviews, the Wrestler in particular which scored a 98%

celestialdemon
Benjamin Button I can live with. The Reader, however, should not be there at all. There were so many movies that were better than that. The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Wall-E, The Visitor, Rachel Getting Married, Frozen River, and Gran Torino are just some of them.

Ultimate Wil
IMO, Heath will win best supporting actor. DK didn't deserve to be a best picture or best director category.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Benjamin Button I can live with. The Reader, however, should not be there at all. There were so many movies that were better than that. The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Wall-E, The Visitor, Rachel Getting Married, Frozen River, and Gran Torino are just some of them.

Agreed

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Ultimate Wil
IMO, Heath will win best supporting actor. DK didn't deserve to be a best picture or best director category.

Do you know anything about directing? It certainly does deserve it.

Best Picture is debatable, I think it deserves a nod for that too. The nominations this year are so bad.

Mr Parker
yahoo!!! Its too bad the movie got released this year cause there were so many other good films released as well,some based on true stories that came out this year such as FROST/NIXON and The Changeling that as much as I loved the dark knight-I saw it 8 times at the theaters,I wouldnt be able to give it best picture award or some of the others since its a different type of film than those.Last year,I would have had to disagree with the academy,but this year I just cant.

SelinaAndBruce
I can't live with Benjamin Button or the Reader because The Wrestler and The Dark Knight got better reviews and I think the category would have been better with those two movies in it

Rafkins_Warning
I love how people can get nominated for prestigious awards just because they died... I mean hey, maybe someone from Twilight will die this year and then that film will be nominated for an Oscar next year, oh wouldn't that be oh so swell!

SnakeEyes
Ledger deserves any awards he gets, regardless of his death. He delivered a quality performance and I don't think anyone can dispute that. I also believe he would've been nominated if he were still alive. I know you might think it's "cool" to go against the grain and hate on Heath Ledger because he's dead and he's received a posthumous Oscar nomination, but honestly, it's just disrespectful and more importantly, ignorant to make a statement like yours.

Ridley_Prime
Agreed.. I've seen plenty of people say the whole thing was a sympathy award, but it's all a bunch of bullshit. Dead or alive, Ledger earned what he got.

Rafkins_Warning
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Ledger deserves any awards he gets, regardless of his death. He delivered a quality performance and I don't think anyone can dispute that. I also believe he would've been nominated if he were still alive. I know you might think it's "cool" to go against the grain and hate on Heath Ledger because he's dead and he's received a posthumous Oscar nomination, but honestly, it's just disrespectful and more importantly, ignorant to make a statement like yours.

Um... I am not going "against the grain" no more than I am "hating on Heath Ledger".

I mean I thought he was a good actor... as do I think (as mush as I hate admit anything good about that awful film) that his performance in the Dark Knight was good as well... but Oscar worthy? He deserves a nomination for this about as much as he deserved the one he got for Brokeback Mountain! And he only got that because it was the "It Movie" of the year... as is the Dark Knight.

So think of it as whatever you want, he got the nomination because the film was so popular or because it was a "sympathy vote"... one thing is certain though, the Academy has really been dropping the ball when it comes to handing out nominations and awards.

P.S. I am not ignorant... I'm just brave enough to say what a lot of people are already thinking.

starlock
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

I dont think he deseves the award...so i do dispute that, i dont think its disrespectfull to speak ones mind.....i think Two faces portrayal was much better done that the joker...so in my eyes...heath got the nod..because he died.....there is nothing wrong with stating what some beleive to be true.....and you talk about disrespect and ignorance...how about you telling a poster what they are doing when you know nothing about what they are thinking at the time of the post?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Rafkins_Warning
Um... I am not going "against the grain" no more than I am "hating on Heath Ledger".

I mean I thought he was a good actor... as do I think (as mush as I hate admit anything good about that awful film) that his performance in the Dark Knight was good as well... but Oscar worthy? He deserves a nomination for this about as much as he deserved the one he got for Brokeback Mountain! And he only got that because it was the "It Movie" of the year... as is the Dark Knight.

So think of it as whatever you want, he got the nomination because the film was so popular or because it was a "sympathy vote"... one thing is certain though, the Academy has really been dropping the ball when it comes to handing out nominations and awards.

P.S. I am not ignorant... I'm just brave enough to say what a lot of people are already thinking.

I'm just curious, in your eyes, what determines whether or not an actor deserves a "Best Supporting Actor" nomination, then?

I'm not a fan of the Academy, I think (for the most part) the nominations this year are terrible. With that said though, Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was great and just as deserving of an Oscar nod as anyone else who was nominated this year (if not more so). I know that you disagree with me, but, being a fan of the comics and the character, he exceeded my expectations in every way. I could go on and on about why his performance was so good, but it'd be nothing someone hasn't said already.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. You think that he's getting the nomination because he's dead and TDK was the "it" movie of the year. I think that he's getting the nomination because he delivered an extremely good performance. And no, you're not being "brave." Countless people have voiced their opinions of Heath getting the nod because he's dead, etc. It's nothing new.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by starlock
I dont think he deseves the award...so i do dispute that, i dont think its disrespectfull to speak ones mind.....i think Two faces portrayal was much better done that the joker...so in my eyes...heath got the nod..because he died.....there is nothing wrong with stating what some beleive to be true.....and you talk about disrespect and ignorance...how about you telling a poster what they are doing when you know nothing about what they are thinking at the time of the post?

Read my post again. I said "He delivered a quality performance and I don't think anyone can dispute that." And I still stand by that statement. I don't think anyone could logically say that he didn't do a good job in the role.

And yes, I think it's disrespectful to the actor's work to say that the only reason he's getting recognition is because he died. That's MY opinion (I shouldn't have to state that). I don't understand why some users are so sensitive. If I disagree with one's thoughts, I'm going to say why, then a debate ensues. That's how forums work.

And let me just say that you're last little bit there is ridiculous:

"how about you telling a poster what they are doing when you know nothing about what they are thinking at the time of the post?"

I don't even know where to begin. Do you expect me to read a person's mind so I can find out precisely what they were thinking at the time of a particular post? Because.... that's impossible. All I can respond to is what they wrote, which is all I did.

Oh, and I wasn't "telling a poster what they are doing." I'm not even quite sure what that's supposed to mean. I'm assuming it's irrelevant, like the majority of your post. But of course I don't know what your exact thoughts were at the time of your post, so I guess I shouldn't be telling you what you are doing. no expression

Rafkins_Warning
No... I'm not brave, I just get ripped a new one for saying something that others have supposedly already said on here.

And please don't get me started on how much of a disgrace the Joker in the Dark Knight is to the Joker in the comics.... I get that its a new idea towards him and that excites people, but its still terrible.

And I am not saying Heath Ledger's performance was a disgrace, I mean it wasn't his fault that that's the portrayal the directors and writers chose... he did the best he could with the material he was given and I commend him for that, but as I have said before it was not Oscar worthy.

SelinaAndBruce
I think there is a higher likelihood that Heath would have gotten snubbed if he had lived but on the other hand if Robert Downey Jr got in the category with Tropic Thunder it would be very hard to deny Heath who I think did give a quality performance and definitely one of the most talked about performances of 2008.

Now I do agree that I found the portrayal of the Joker somewhat problematic as I don't think he was as outwardly maniacal as I have interpreted him to be in the comics that I have read but still in the context of the movie I think everything worked.

SnakeEyes
No... I'm not brave, I just get ripped a new one for saying something that others have supposedly already said on here.

And please don't get me started on how much of a disgrace the Joker in the Dark Knight is to the Joker in the comics.... I get that its a new idea towards him and that excites people, but its still terrible.

And I am not saying Heath Ledger's performance was a disgrace, I mean it wasn't his fault that that's the portrayal the directors and writers chose... he did the best he could with the material he was given and I commend him for that, but as I have said before it was not Oscar worthy.

And I'll rip anyone a new one (if I have the energy) for saying Heath Ledger was only getting recognition because he died. It's absurd to say that. And it's even more ridiculous to compare his performance to those in Twilight.

His Joker was not a disgrace whatsoever. TDK's Joker was far different from the comic incarnation in terms of mannerisms, etc. but the core character elements were very much intact and without changing what they did, the character wouldn't have translated well to Nolan's film/universe.

You're acting like he was given a shit script, shit director, shit everything and he did the best with what he had and that's simply not true. Also, I don't know why you're putting the Oscars on such an unattainable pedestal. If you were arguing that Robert Downey Jr. didn't deserve a nomination for his role in Tropic Thunder, I might have to agree with you, but come on. I guess you wouldn't know quality if it bit you in the ass.

But alas, I think I'm done here. You can respond if you want but I'm not going to continue debating this, because it'll just go around in circles. Let me just conclude by saying that I couldn't disagree with you more on all accounts and I think you're dead wrong (no pun intended) about everything you've said. We are all dumber for having read what you typed. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Rafkins_Warning
First of all let me give you points for having so much maturity... yeah.

And I am saying he was given a shit script/director... although I have to say Nolan does create better works when given a different topic in which to make a movie from.

And will everyone please get off the damned Robert Downey Jr. thing... its SO old!

*sigh*

The Oscars have fallen so short of what they used to be the past 3 or so years... I mean does anyone remember when they gave away awards for the impact that the film had on its audience and the skill in which an actor delivered their performance? Now I feel its all how much hype and money the film makes and how popular the actor is that year that earns them these once great awards.

But enough... I am done repeating myself and I am done trying to make sense where there obviously is none!

celestialdemon

The Oscars have fallen so short of what they used to be the past 3 or so years... I mean does anyone remember when they gave away awards for the impact that the film had on its audience and the skill in which an actor delivered their performance? Now I feel its all how much hype and money the film makes and how popular the actor is that year that earns them these once great awards.

Past 3 years or so? The Oscars have always screwed a few people every year. This year is no different than any other.

Mr Parker
I can't live with Benjamin Button or the Reader because The Wrestler and The Dark Knight got better reviews and I think the category would have been better with those two movies in it

Yeah I wouldnt put those two movies ahead of The Dark Knight but like I said,I WOULD though put The Changeling and Frost/Nixon ahead of them cause they are true life stories.I really get into those movies that are based on true life events.

SelinaAndBruce
Yea I have no problem with Frost Nixon being nominated. All the other pics in best pic category are fine with me except those two

And the Robert Downey Jr thing is so old? Weren't the nominees just announced a couple weeks ago? LMAO

Rafkins_Warning
And the Robert Downey Jr thing is so old? Weren't the nominees just announced a couple weeks ago? LMAO

I mean I am so tired of hearing people ***** about it... therefore it is old news to me. I get that is a horrible nomination, thus proving my point even further, but everyone needs to pick a new example of the Academy's failure. I am sick of hearing it!

Master Crimzon
What the hell was so wrong with the Academy in the 21st century? Yeah, they've had some scandals (TDK snub, Crash over Brokeback, etc), but that's old news. You can't expect an award show not to make mistakes occasionally.

And I feel that the Academy is actually considerably better than it 'used' to be, as evidenced by several non-traditional oscar movies receiving nominations. The Academy is changing, and that's a good thing. Although, of course, TDK snub proves that the old snobs still dominate the Academy and the change has not been fully realized; but really, it's impossible to deny that the Academy moving beyond its nonsensical values and biases is a good thing.

Rafkins_Warning
Personally I think the only thing the Academy got correct that year was to award Crash the best picture award over Brokeback Mountain... but then again I am the black sheep lunatic of this forum, so what do I know, eh?

SnakeEyes
Nothing. You know nothing.

Master Crimzon
Personally I think the only thing the Academy got correct that year was to award Crash the best picture award over Brokeback Mountain... but then again I am the black sheep lunatic of this forum, so what do I know, eh?

Well, as a dude who doesn't believe in absolutes, how can I tell you your opinion is wrong without looking like a ridiculous hypocrite?

IMO (and I think in the public opinion, too), the last bunch of years has shown the Academy making several very atypical choices and giving the awards to deserving, but not so traditional movies.

Mr Parker
Yea I have no problem with Frost Nixon being nominated. All the other pics in best pic category are fine with me except those two

By chance have YOU seen FROST/NIXON? the movie about Dick Nixon? big grin

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Mr Parker
By chance have YOU seen FROST/NIXON? the movie about Dick Nixon? big grin
I saw half of it. My friend had a busted screener so it messed up before we could finish it. I wish I could have seen the rest

Rafkins_Warning
I want to see Frost/Nixon... I hear it's really good... plus I love Michael Sheen, now he deserves an Oscar!

Mr Parker
hope you remember my thread I have of it in the movie discussion section and try to find it to post on it when you HAVE seen it.I cant believe the people around here at this site.an importan even in the history of the world took place and few people want to see the movie.thats pretty sad.very few people have replied to my thread about it is how i know people dont want to see it.

sagar.best
i just loved this film .....it was amazing fantastic and superb as i am from india ..... the slumdog was not so gud as dark night but i don't know y dark night didn't got the award of " the best film "...... smile

utsav
dark night should be nominated in mostly awards according to me it's was just a superb movie i will give this movie 10/10.

Ultimate Wil
The academy doesn't give awards to comic movies. Heath only won IMO because he died.

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by Ultimate Wil
The academy doesn't give awards to comic movies. Heath only won IMO because he died. Nah. It was probably because he played a very impressive portayal of a mix of comic madness and pure, psychopathic insanity. Then added with the deviance and genius to create a single, very scary yet funny villain of the likes past years haven't seen in ages.

Kovacs86
Him dying didn't exactly harm his chances, though...

Dr Will Hatch
As good as Ledger played him, and I do him extreamly high marks, he wasn't the best actor in the film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.