Superman (1978-1987) vs. Batman (1989-1997)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
What do you think is more entertaining to watch as a whole?

The films share some odd similarities:

1.The first two films are the vision of one director:Tim Burton, and Richard Donner (I think we can say that since he directed 70% of two, and has his own cut now)

2. Both had multiple villians in their second film

3. Both had a hot rising comedian in their third movie (Richard Pryor, and Jim Carrey)

4. Both basically started to "suck" when the franchises hit their third film

5. Both only lasted Four movies

6. Superman was released on the 40th anniversary of his creation, Batman was released on his 50th

steverules_2
Batman big grin Superman was good...well first 2 anyways but I found the first 2 batman movies to be more entertaining..I liked batman 3 more than superman 3 (kills to say that) and I even liked batman 4 better than superman 4 (kills to say that to) I just found to be...more entertaining and I liked how the first 2 batman movies had a dark tone to them

Final Blaxican
I Actually like Tim Burton's Batman. I like the universe and the characters wayy more than Nolan's version. I found all of the Superman movies to be boring, on the other hand.

jinXed by JaNx
I say Batman just because the 89 film was better than the other three movies on this list. The Superman movies were great for their time and still offer a nostalgic trip but they have aged very badly. I generally don't let that sort of thing interfere when im judging movie's but a movie that revolves around effects almost as much as it does it's characters, the early superman movies have become hard to watch. I can still enjoy the first two Superman movie's for Chris Reeves but other than him i really can't stand the rest of the cast. Lex Luthor and his thugs have become overly silly and cheesy with my age and Lois, well, i never liked Lois.

the 89 Batman still has a very thick atmosphere along with two great performances that will probably never be hurt by age, Keaton and Nicholson.

Tommy Jarvis
I think the first two Batman movies has the first two Superman movies beat while the third & fourth Superman movies have the third & fourth Batman movies beat. Batman fell way off track by the third film. No matter how bad the plot, Chris Reeve still portrayed Superman as he should be.

Still, my vote goes to Bats.

roughrider
Superman, on the strength of the first film alone - it's a definitive classic. And they survived the mess behind the scenes on the second film to make something pretty entertaining, and the Richard Donner Director Cut has fixed that, to.
I was enthused about the first Batman film at the time - but it was more relief it wasn't screwed up by the casting of Michael Keaton. Things started to go a little wrong by the second film, which became a torturous freak show. Then they nosedived from the third film on. Turns out, the Nolan/Bale series is the definitive version of Batman.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I Actually like Tim Burton's Batman. I like the universe and the characters wayy more than Nolan's version.

Apart from Burton allowing the villains to be killed off except for Catwoman.

I-Drop
Batman. The Supes movies don't hold up over time.

SuperiorTech
Batman

siriuswriter
the answer would most definitely batman.
superman had lame, lamer, and lamest for his villians. ooooh a really scary bald dude who plans to take over the earth!!

and yet superman can reverse time and it never happened.

and now we come to the joker, the penguin, catwoman.... mr. freeze, poison ivy, two-face, riddler.....

much more interest and variety in the villians. therefore, batman has to have more than one fighting style, because these villians don't have the same approach.

and since the villian in superman is always lex luthor... oh wait and those three from krypton which eventually were whopped by superman...

and i thought the third superman wasn't even considered an "official" superman movie?! it was superman 2, and then superman returns, which was not a bad movie, but it wasn't stupendous.

that brings me to another point - the "comeback" movies of the two.

Superman Returns v Batman Begins + The Dark Knight?

superman has no chance whatsoever of making a comeback.

roughrider
Originally posted by siriuswriter

that brings me to another point - the "comeback" movies of the two.

Superman Returns v Batman Begins + The Dark Knight?

superman has no chance whatsoever of making a comeback.

It's not fair to bring up the recent films. Batman got the reboot treatment, so he got to scrub clean the garbage of the last few films. Superman hasn't been given the reboot treatment yet, but it may be coming.

Kazenji
Yeah Superman Returns was'nt a reboot it more of a continuation of the movies.

The-Hulk
I enjoyed the Batman movies much more so than the Superman films.

I vividly remember seeing all of the Batman films, starting with the 1989 Burton film (and yes even Batman & Robin) each summer that they came out. Unfortunately, the first Superman movie I saw in the theaters was Superman Returns.

I-Drop
Damn.

Kazenji
What happen ?

The-Hulk
I assume he's remarking to my unfortunate displeasure of having Superman Returns as the only Superman movie I've had the experience of watching in a movie theater. sad

SnakeEyes
Not a fan of either franchise (excluding the two Nolan flicks).

I-Drop
Originally posted by The-Hulk
I assume he's remarking to my unfortunate displeasure of having Superman Returns as the only Superman movie I've had the experience of watching in a movie theater. sad yep

roughrider
Originally posted by The-Hulk
I assume he's remarking to my unfortunate displeasure of having Superman Returns as the only Superman movie I've had the experience of watching in a movie theater. sad

A perfectly respectable film - especially in comparison to Superman IV.
It's just no Batman Begins, or TDK.

The-Hulk
Originally posted by roughrider
A perfectly respectable film - especially in comparison to Superman IV.
It's just no Batman Begins, or TDK.

Visually, I agree. Acting and story-wise ... eh. mad

I-Drop
Originally posted by roughrider
A perfectly respectable film - especially in comparison to Superman IV. Translation: Respectable....when you compare it to absolute garbage. Supes Returns is a respectable film if you're a big fan of weightlifting. That's ALL he did.

Bouboumaster
Batman 1 and 2 were awesome

I-Drop
Yep. Very enjoyable films.

Indestructible
ok I know people might bit my head off for this one but I LOVED the first three batman films. I mean Forever was not as dark as the first to but it was likable. Now B&R a whooooooooooooole differnt story.........

The-Hulk
Yeah, parts of Forever was likeable. And I think a lighter approach to Batman was exactly what the public wanted at that moment in time, which along with Jim Carrey's involvment, helped make Batman Forever such a success at the box office.

None of this carried over into B&R. And so ended the Batman franchise for a number of years, as well as the proposed Batman Triumphant which I admit, is something I would have checked out. If even just for the supposed Jack Nicholson as the Joker cameo.

roughrider
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Batman 1 and 2 were awesome

Not so awesome in retrospect. Just respectable.

Current Bale/Nolan series = Awesome.

Mr Shindiggery
Both series had a groundbreaking first movie that has changed the genre forever, both had pretty mixed sequels, Batman Returns and Superman II, both had okayish third movies Batman Forever and Superman III. And finally both had what many people consider to be the worst of the genre, Batman And Robin and Superman IV Quest for Peace. So I say its a draw but if I had to choose one its Batman because I liked the first three movies from those series, Superman III and IV are unwatchable for me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.