DC Universe online (MMO)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KakashiKun
A new game is said to be relased and the concept sounds really cool. Unfortunately the only source i could find for this game was wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Online
I don't think we'll bne seeing this game soon though confused
My guess is that it's gonna be like World of Warcraft except, DC Universe style...

Magee
Last I checked it was coming out this spring but will probably be delayed until late this year. I'm sure there is already a thread for this game, can't wait till it comes out should be fun and it's made by the CoH guys.

Raoul
been done:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393441&from=thread&pagenumber=2#post10877722

looking forward to it though, looks like lots of fun once i figure out how to mod it...

Magee
What do you mean mod it?

jinXed by JaNx
The demo footage looks very questionable but it's still in beta stages so hopefully it will be streamlined.

I-Drop
I don't think it'll be as good or as profitable as COH. DC always seems to put out bad to mediocre games

Raoul
Originally posted by Magee
What do you mean mod it?

play as canon heroes.

Zack Fair
Damn the red underwear uhuh

I was interested in this until I saw the beta.

Zack Fair
2lGTfK4PmPw

§P0oONY
My opinion of this game:

Nah... hmm

FinalAnswer
It has a $15 Monthly subscription fee.

jinXed by JaNx
Does it really? If it does indeed have a monthly fee that actually gives me some hope. I couldn't imagine this game without any dedicated servers.

Zack Fair
Still I liked that trailer.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, trailer was ok, even if the heroes were killed off to easily. That video just reinforces my belief that Super Hero movies should be CGI instead of live action.

Stoic
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, trailer was ok, even if the heroes were killed off to easily. That video just reinforces my belief that Super Hero movies should be CGI instead of live action.

Yep yep! That video had my class ignoring the lecture. I want to play smile

Nephthys
I think I just crapped myself.

Except from the fact that power-levels were waaay off, That was positively epic.

NemeBro
Actually Superman at the very least was shown using closer to his normal power level.

Deathstroke fistfighting Wonderwoman was kinda funny though.

Ridley_Prime
Not to mention him taking her lasso.

D_Dude1210
Already playing it. Wish it had the same interace as WoW does. But still, fun game. Should keep me entertained for a month or 2.

General_Iroh
I was gonna pick it up, heard it was fun, but then I heard you max out at like level 30, and at the very most only playing an hour or two a day it would take you about a week to reach that level. Given that unless they come out with some serious patches I'm gonna pass on this one.

chomperx9
Originally posted by General_Iroh
I was gonna pick it up, heard it was fun, but then I heard you max out at like level 30, and at the very most only playing an hour or two a day it would take you about a week to reach that level. Given that unless they come out with some serious patches I'm gonna pass on this one. thats how they get you now with money. They never put in the full version of a game on one disc. They already have it planned out and divided the game so you gotta pay more money for Add ons later. I bet you they already got an expansion planned to go to level 40, The day the Game was released.

D_Dude1210
Well, the game is quite fun (if you're a comic lover like me) and should keep one entertained for at least the first month on the initial release version. I like the potential of the game, tho. If they're smart about how they do the balancing issues in the next few months, it should be quite a fun game.

At least until Warhammer40k online comes out. >smile

If any1 ever decides to pick up the game, look me up:

I'm in the US Death and Glory server.

Char name: Agent D

mixednuts
A friend of mine gave me this as a late birthday present. I was interested in it but not so much that I wanted to buy it on steam at release. As a former WOW addict of 4 years, I'm understandably apprehensive when it comes to getting involved in a new MMO (though I am waiting for TOR to be released).

The game is entertaining but it does have issues. At launch the chat system was completely broken. This alone is a glaring issue for an MMO as the whole point of the game is to interact with your friends, guildies, and people you group with. Unless you have a dedicated vent server it was difficult at best to communicate with others. Luckily this has now been fixed.

DCU Online has many other issues, ranging from inventory glitches, talent point loss, pvp imbalances and my personal pet peeve: only having 6 slots available in your action bar for abilities when your character may have double that or more to choose from.

It does have some good to it though. The choice between flight, super speed or acrobatics is nice and the depth of character customization was very surprising. The combat system is different in a good way but needs a bit more depth in your attacks.

One very cool thing about DCU that I wish WOW had is the ability to stick with a specific look you like regardless of what gear you are wearing. There was nothing worse in WOW:The Burning Crusade than turning in your sick set of Warlock tier gear for a set of blues that made you look like a circus clown.

Overall the game is decent but I honestly don't think it has much staying power. Level cap can be hit in a few days if you grind enough and once you are 30 there just isn't enough to do. Combine this with Sony's reputation of driving its MMO's into the ground and I think it is safe to say that DCU will share the same fate as Age of Conan, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings, et cetera.

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by mixednuts
my personal pet peeve: only having 6 slots available in your action bar for abilities when your character may have double that or more to choose from.

The game is designed from a PS3 perspective, not a computer one. Any further accessibility to abilities and it'd be too hard to maintain balance between PC and PS3 players. Want to know true imbalance? Give PC players more buttons to use. You'll see, the market will plunge.

mixednuts
Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
The game is designed from a PS3 perspective, not a computer one. Any further accessibility to abilities and it'd be too hard to maintain balance between PC and PS3 players. Want to know true imbalance? Give PC players more buttons to use. You'll see, the market will plunge.

I get that the UI is dictated by the limitations of the PS3 interface but don't the PS3 and PC players operate on different servers? I may be wrong about that but if not its kind of silly to gimp the PC version for the sake of the PS3 one.

EvilTyrant
The game is great, I have 3 different characters so far. I'm pretty sure they will raise the level cap, not sure why everyone complains about this. FFXI was the same way, just give it time and let it grow. My main problems from the start which seem fixed so far was the game would sometimes freeze, also if someone runs ahead on a mission a gate will come down and lock that person while the rest of the group is locked out. (Get rid of the gates!) Voice chat is also supported, but trying to type can be a pain.

StyleTime
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/09/dc-universe-online-switching-to-free-to-play-model/1

It's going to be free to play in October.

Zack Fair
Weird.

Ridley_Prime
Heard from some that it was an MMO wasteland the last time they went on this game, so I guess I'm not too surprised by that.

RE: Blaxican
Yah same here. Saw the games failure coming from a mile away.

Zack Fair
I heard it was pretty good for comic fans though.

MMOs suck anyway.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah... But I guess even for comic fans, it didn't last that long.

-Pr-
Simple: People want to be Batman; they don't want to be Robin.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if SOE wasn't just copying Cryptic.

StyleTime
Well, I will give it a shot with a few friends. I'm a comic fan and the monthly fee was the only thing turning me away from it. If it sucks, I'll stop playing; however, it seems worth a go. I'm sure we'll get a kick out of the "we're in Metropolis!" feeling at the very least.

Phanteros
DC Universe is now free to play for both PS3 and PC

edit: Ninja'd

StyleTime
ninja

-Pr-
Gave this a whirl today. Wanted to make a Superman type, but the powers wouldn't let me (though you can increase your strength later). Went with telepathy and Aquaman-esque.

Was fun, though I think i need to hook up my controller to get the best of it.

I'll be playing again later.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.