Other dragons . . .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Ninja
Were those flying creatures that the Ring Wraiths used in The Two Towers dragons? They looked more like wyverns to me. Also, I thought Smaug was the last dragon on Middle Earth. confused

Captain REX
Wyverns?

No, I don't think Smaug was the last. I think he was just one of the more powerful.

Mujaffa
they're not dragons..that's for sure..what they really are i have to open my great book again too find out!

Dexx
hmm..why was i under the impression that smaug was the last...probably didn't read to carefully

Mujaffa
smaug was the last......

Captain REX
Hmm, I have a great book too. I'll check too, Mujaffa...

All it says is "flying beasts". Odd...

Fire
no dragons defenatly no dragons
if they had to be dragons, which would be wrong according to the book,
THEY SUCKED

Ushgarak
No no no, not a dragon! The name of the flying mounts of ther Nazguls escapes me but I will ask my brother ASAP.

Fire
okie good THX ush

webby
I think they are only ever referred to as "Fell Beasts"

not 100 % but about 60/70 %

ms_saigon
There's a section in the 1st chapter of the FOTR where Gandalf tells Frodo that "dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself" I take that to mean that while there are still dragons, there aren't any really powerful ones. I don't know if that helps or makes things more confusing.

mah
well that line by gandalf *is* a bit confusing

Ushgarak
Well, Smaug is pretty small fry compared to the Dragons of old in Middle Earth.

Dejio
Gandalf said that Dragon fire could destroy the ring. Unfortunately, there aren't any dragons left in Middle Earth. Or otherwise this would be a really short book. laughing out loud

Darth Ninja
Maybe Tiamat could've blew Sauron's ass away . . . ring and all. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I believe he specified that Dragon fire could NOT destroy the One Ring.

Darth Ninja
It was a joke. Tiamat is a dragon goddess from D&D. Anyway, dragons in Middle Earth are nowhere as powerful as they are in D&D.

PeekaReet
umm....Tolkien made them more realistic, all powerfull dragons would be kinda far fetched....dragon fire could melt the rings, except not the one ring.....i think Smaug was ONE of the last dragons....and the ones left where all kinda small.....oh well....

TrixStar
Creatures of Morgoth and steeds of his servants, the fell beasts are winged and can fly long distances at great speed.

Ushgarak
Blimey, I never saw DN's response there. Well, if he ever reads this again... I was not responding to your Tiamat joke, I was responding to Dejio.

Though to DN... actually, most D&D dragons pale in comparison to the Middle-Earth ones.

turin
I am pretty sure it says that smaug was the last dragon, but there might have been some cold drakes still around. as far as the relative strength of middle earth dragons, smaug lived in a mountain, a large mountain but not the largest. anglecon the black when he was defeated and fell from the sky he fell upon thangorodrim the largest mtns of there time, made my the debris morgoth had pulled out of his underground fortress. well when anglicon landed on the mtns he ruined them. so that sounds like to me he was a much larger dragon.

Ushgarak
Yes, he was absolutely enormous and actually changed geography when he died. But that was the absolute biggest.

Captain REX
Yes, Ancalagon was pretty damn huge. Blimp size with flamethrower attachements?

Ya know, the only reason Gandalf helped in Thorin's little crusade to reclaim Erebor was because he didn't want Sauron to make Smaug a minion of his, just incase.

Ushgarak
Err... well, one of TWO reasons; the other is that without a Dwarven Kingdom there then Sauron's armies in that part would have swept through and destroyed it and then moved on down towards Minas Tirith.

Captain REX
Oh, that too. big grin

The Sacred Fire
You know I actually read somewhere (I can't remember now where) that Sauron used dragons in the mountains near Morder and in the South and East to give birth to his Fell Beasts. Does anyone know anything new about the possiblity of other dragons?

Melcórë
Originally posted by The Sacred Fire
You know I actually read somewhere (I can't remember now where) that Sauron used dragons in the mountains near Morder and in the South and East to give birth to his Fell Beasts. Does anyone know anything new about the possiblity of other dragons?

I don't think that's right....although I'm not sure. The only thing I'm aware of that Tolkien said definitively was that his "fell-beasts" would be fairly represented by the flying reptiles of ancient times.

I remember there being a dragon who attacked the Rohirrim at some point....Smaug was the last of the "great dragons," if I remember correctly....

The Sacred Fire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.