IP Man.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anti-Monitor

kunglu
Haven't seen it yet, but it looks great! And the story is awesome.

MildPossession
I've got the dvd waiting to be watched.

Mindset
What's it about?

faithcooper78
I haven't seen it but I know this film became blockbuster and won several awards.

MildPossession
I just watched it last night, the fight sequences are wonderful, it could have benefited with a better music score though.

I look forwards to the sequel, apparently it will have the character of Bruce Lee in.

Wei Phoenix
This movie is about Bruce Lee's master. Ip Man was awesome and he was a beast in the MA category. I absolutely enjoyed this movie. Favorite fight. He basically asks to fight 10 black belts at the same time and two of them get a drum roll.

3qhPDEOYbx4

iceman24567
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
This movie is about Bruce Lee's master. Ip Man was awesome and he was a beast in the MA category. I absolutely enjoyed this movie. Favorite fight. He basically asks to fight 10 black belts at the same time and two of them get a drum roll.

3qhPDEOYbx4 Bloody hell that was awesome

Robtard
Was a good scene, was also a bit of a rip-off from Fist of Fury (aka The Chinese Connection), where Bruce Lee's character beats five shades of shit out of an entire dojo of karate practitioners.

vvv4o4cp3f8

Scythe
I liked this movie alot.

cherrcherr123

dadudemon
Directed by Wilson Yip.

Definitely a solid 8 out of 10.

Excellent fight scenes.

Acting wasn't too bad.

Story is predictable but very decent.

Some of the cinematography is great.

Sound is average.

Music is decent.

Sound effects are great (but sometimes, off).

Memorable moments (Note, I highly recomend NOT reading my spoilers until after watching the movie):

Opening of the movie when Ip Man faces the new master in town. Pretty good fight and slightly humorous. What makes the fight memorable is the honor Ip Man has: he promises and keeps his promise to not tell others that he defeated that other master or preserve his honor and his way of living.

Probably the most powerful moment in the film (imo) is when Ip Man figures out that his friend ("kid" he taught martial arts to, before the occupation) has been killed while fighting for rice, from the Japanese. (He was killed because he was beaten to death by the Japanese General for refusing to back-down, due to him refusing to stain his honor as a Chinese man. When Ip Man finds out, he wants to fight really badly. Then, his collegue and friend, the master her fought in the beginning of the film, is executed right in front of him by the Lieutenant of the Japanese army. This pisses Ip Man off, to no end, and for the first time, Ip Man fights seriously. I don't want to ruin too much of this scene but needless to say, it was very satisfying to watch this because you've experienced Ip and his town be beaten down and shit upon by the occupying forces (and other things) and he finally loses it, but still keeps his cool. It was a silent fury that Donnie Yen did very well portraying. The scene is awesome, on it's own, but is much much better when you've experienced the rest of the film.

I watched it on Netflix which is in HD. They only crappy thing about that is the lack of subtitles. I could only pick up one out of every 10 Japanese words (I do not know Japanese very well(understatement)) and most of the time, that's enough to follow what they are talking about, though.* I recomend renting the DVD/Blu-Ray so you can read what is being said. I personally believe that some of the meaning is lost when the dubbing team tries to adapt sentences that match the movement of the actors' lips. Rent it.

Tell me your thoughts: I hope there's someone out there that enjoyed this movie as much as I did.

*It's in Chinese, but the Japanese speak Japanese, quite a bit (lol).

Rogue Jedi
Not bad, Fearless is better.

Robtard
I liked this one; I agree with your 8 out of 10 for a martial-arts film.

There's been sequels, I haven't watched them though.

Edit:

To RJ,

Fearless is not better, you retard.

Rogue Jedi
Matter of opinion.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Not bad, Fearless is better.

I don't think so. Fearless was good, but it wasn't as good as Ip Man only because Ip Man was a bit more "personable". I just liked the characters better in Ip Man.

Both can be called "generic martial arts school" films, though but Ip Man had more substance than just a generic "big budget" martial arts film.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't think so. Fearless was good, but it wasn't as good as Ip Man only because Ip Man was a bit more "personable". I just liked the characters better in Ip Man.

Both can be called "generic martial arts school" films, though but Ip Man had more substance than just a generic "big budget" martial arts film. Truth be told, the films were almost identical. Badass martial artist with money, he goes broke, goes through struggles, then uses his martial arts to bring a nation together. I liked the fight scenes in Fearless better. Jet Li was spot on as Huo Yuanjia. The way he reacted when he found out he had killed Master Chin, and when he gained revenge by killing the nephew, awesome.

This fight scene is better than anything in Ip man:

ALk7qG3VqjQ

The best part is from 2:40 to the end.

MildPossession
I've already talked in the foreign film section topics on the film...

dadudemon
Thanks for finding this. I did searches for string literals and it wasn't working too well for me. I know, I know: you did not look too well, did you? I figured after three different string searches, I'd give up.

I was thinking that I'm going to start using Google's advanced search (you can search for string literals on a specific website with their advanced search option.)

Anyway, thanks to the mod that moved this to the correct thread.

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Truth be told, the films were almost identical. Badass martial artist with money, he goes broke, goes through struggles, then uses his martial arts to bring a nation together. I liked the fight scenes in Fearless better. Jet Li was spot on as Huo Yuanjia. The way he reacted when he found out he had killed Master Chin, and when he gained revenge by killing the nephew, awesome.

This fight scene is better than anything in Ip man:

ALk7qG3VqjQ

The best part is from 2:40 to the end.

I disagree.

A lengthy fight sight does not a good fight scene make.

While the fight scene is quite awesome, there are at least 2 fight scenes in Ip Man that I consider better.

Cacho36
I love that movie its so timely and lots of computer addict can relate to that... plus some knowledge.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.