Anyone use a Unix-like system on their comp?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
I'm been playing around with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, Debian on an older computer and I'm trying to D/L Xandros currently. I do like them and want to educate myself a bit on Linux.

Anyone use one of these as their OS in lieu of Windows or Mac, any tips, suggestions or favourite/perference of a Linix OS?

Smasandian
I'm currently learning Fedora 8 in school. Just about to start system logging, and just finished service management, and job control.

I have Fedora on a virtual machine. It's pretty cool, but I'm mostly doing all command line stuff.

Robtard
Nice, why 8 though, I believe 10 is out now?

occultdestroyer
Yes, one of my older PCs is running Damn Small Linux.

An operating system for less than 60MB. Nice thumb up

Smasandian
Originally posted by Robtard
Nice, why 8 though, I believe 10 is out now?

Because the majority of systems would probably still be running 8 and not 10, and they're is probably less bugs, or problems with 8.

Robtard
Originally posted by occultdestroyer

I tired to install DSL onto an older PIII latop, could get it to run off the bootdisk, not install on the HD though. I have the 94mb version, wonder if it's buggy.

JtFirefox

Well I don't agree occiltdestroyer. As the community will upgrade the software all the time. To me, Linux is really a more preferable system since it is more stable, less computer virus and do consume system resources that much.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JtFirefox
Well I don't agree occiltdestroyer. As the community will upgrade the software all the time. To me, Linux is really a more preferable system since it is more stable, less computer virus and do consume system resources that much. Why don't you agree?

And I ran Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu at various times. As well as Puppy Linux. I don't atm though, but I might run one off a USB stick in the near future...probably Puppy Linux.

I am not sure if this is the right forum, btw, it should probably be in the GDF. Maybe...maybe in the Computer help. Probably GDF though.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by JtFirefox
Well I don't agree occiltdestroyer. As the community will upgrade the software all the time. To me, Linux is really a more preferable system since it is more stable, less computer virus and do consume system resources that much.
WTF are you talking about?

Damn Small Linux is a Linux distro no expression

Bardock42
WTF are you talking about?

Damn Small Linux is a Linux distro no expression As the name does imply.

Smasandian
Linux distributions are good, but if you want to computer game, you should stick to Windows.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Smasandian
Linux distributions are good, but if you want to computer game, you should stick to Windows. That's true for the newest games, etc. But if you don't have the highest standards and just want to play some good games, there's actually decent support for quite a few, and always getting better. Though, I'd assume that's going to be a problem of the past in 10 years anyways.

Smasandian
True, its better than what I would of thought, but the majority of games and hardware is designed for Windows.

I know a few in my class that use Ubuntu as the regular platform, but when they play they always use Windows. It's funny when I hear them bitching about some problem they encountered with there hardware.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why don't you agree?

And I ran Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu at various times. As well as Puppy Linux. I don't atm though, but I might run one off a USB stick in the near future...probably Puppy Linux.

I am not sure if this is the right forum, btw, it should probably be in the GDF. Maybe...maybe in the Computer help. Probably GDF though.

Which desktop platform do you prefer, KDE or GNOME?

Didn't know there was a comp thing other than here, my error.

Edit: Just got PCLinuxOS, it's pretty good, might want to try it out if you have the time.

Robtard
Originally posted by Smasandian

I know a few in my class that use Ubuntu as the regular platform, but when they play they always use Windows. It's funny when I hear them bitching about some problem they encountered with there hardware.

They use different comps or have a a dual OS setup?

Smasandian
Dual boot like the majority of Linux users do.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Robtard
They use different comps or have a a dual OS setup?
Most of the newer Linux distros have dual boot in them.

The latest version of Ubuntu OS can even be run as an installed program in Windows.

Or you can run Windows under WINE, VMWare or VirtualBox

Smasandian
Running Windows through VM to play games isnt a very good thing to do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.