Sony exclusive games getting docked points in reviews?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EvilTyrant
I seen this before, and i'm seeing it again now with Killzone 2. Just saw the Gametrailer's review and they docked the game points for no co op and bad textures in certain spots, like when your up close in cover. Now the guy speaking about the review even said this stuff would be nitpicking. BTW graphics should have gotten a 10. Things I remember in other reviews:
Warhawk - docked for no single player
Heavely Sword - docked for no multiplayer
Resistance 2 - docked for invisible walls
Motorstorm 2 - marked lower then then the 1st game, even though they fixed all the stuff ppl complained about.
Metal Gear Solid 4 - docked for cutscenes being long

Now I know these are just reviews, and real gamers shouldn't care, but alot of ppl decide on purchasing games by these reviews. I think the only thing killing PS3 is the media.
Torrence Davis of TheBitBag.com wrote an article on it called "Media Sabotage" crap I g2g, will check back in later.

Quincy
Originally posted by EvilTyrant
I seen this before, and i'm seeing it again now with Killzone 2. Just saw the Gametrailer's review and they docked the game points for no co op and bad textures in certain spots, like when your up close in cover. Now the guy speaking about the review even said this stuff would be nitpicking. BTW graphics should have gotten a 10. Things I remember in other reviews:
Motorstorm 2 - marked lower then then the 1st game, even though they fixed all the stuff ppl complained about.

Now I know these are just reviews, and real gamers shouldn't care, but alot of ppl decide on purchasing games by these reviews. I think the only thing killing PS3 is the media.
Torrence Davis of TheBitBag.com wrote an article on it called "Media Sabotage" crap I g2g, will check back in later.

Warhawk should be docked for no single player. That sounds whack. Invisible walls are also lame.

I wouldn't mark down those other games you listed for those specific reasons though. I think cutscenes are too short in most games. I love 'em.

ArtificialGlory
Any game that isn't out on the PC deserves massive docking.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Any game that isn't out on the PC deserves massive docking.

I'm worried for the PC market, so much potential, but I think developers seem to be only losing money on it.

ArtificialGlory
I'm worried for the PC market, so much potential, but I think developers seem to be only losing money on it.

They can't be bothered making quality games. Let's face it, making a game on a console is easier and much more profitable.

General Kaliero
They can't be bothered making quality games. Let's face it, making a game on a console is easier and much more profitable.
Well, definitely more profitable, at least.

They also don't have to worry about compensating for differing computer specs, and all the bugs and such that all the different makes practically guarantee.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by General Kaliero
They also don't have to worry about compensating for differing computer specs, and all the bugs and such that all the different makes practically guarantee.

Yeah, therefore easier. Let's not even get started on optimization: Killzone 2 has relatively excellent graphics and good frame-rates for modest PS3 hardware. It apparently runs locked on 30fps. Not what I would call exactly fluid on a first-person shooter, but still.

Peach

But why shouldn't they be docked for those things? Those are all things that can seriously put people off of a game.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by Peach
But why shouldn't they be docked for those things? Those are all things that can seriously put people off of a game.

I was waiting for someone to say this, and truthfully, I think a game should be rated on what it is and not what you wish it to be. Also, to dock one game a point for an issue but not another, is not fair. For instance, Bioshock has no multiplayer, but nothing was mentioned about it losing points for it. CoD4 has no co op, but never docked for it. Gears of War 2 has tons of problems, but none were ever mentioned in any review. I simply ask why?

Peach
Actually, I do recall a lot of reviews pointing out the lack of multiplayer in Bioshock and lack of co-op in COD4 as negatives (the lack of both were things I was personally disappointed in myself).

Zack Fair
So what did they dock in Halo 3?

Unoriginality. awesome

Besides who cares. Its just one source. Check other sources, and play demos to come up with your own rating.

I know I'm getting Killzone 2 on day 1. And I am confident that it will blow me away.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by Zack Fair
So what did they dock in Halo 3?

Unoriginality. awesome

Besides who cares. Its just one source. Check other sources, and play demos to come up with your own rating.

I know I'm getting Killzone 2 on day 1. And I am confident that it will blow me away.

I agree with you, but a game like this needs to do well in order to see more games of this caliber. The Wii worries me, its doing so well that Microsoft and Sony could go that way for easy money. Did you know that once all the positive reviews for Killzone 2 started to surface, the sales, or I should say alot more ppl started to reserve the game. So sales went up once the reviews came out.

Zack Fair
That is my problem with the success the Wii has enjoyed the last 2 years.

chithappens
Yeah, therefore easier. Let's not even get started on optimization: Killzone 2 has relatively excellent graphics and good frame-rates for modest PS3 hardware. It apparently runs locked on 30fps. Not what I would call exactly fluid on a first-person shooter, but still.

Modest hardware?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by chithappens
Modest hardware?

Yep, by today's standards.

BackFire
Killzone 2 has been getting very strong reviews, so I don't know what you're on about. Lacking co-op in this day and age for a fps is going to get some points docked no matter what console the game is on. And the reviews have highlighted the lack of coop for killzone because they think the atmosphere and the way the game centers around always having a squad or another soldier there with you would have made co-op especially engaging.

And Metal Gear got docked points? It got amazing reviews from gamespot and IGN.

Zack Fair
it even got GOTY.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by BackFire
Killzone 2 has been getting very strong reviews, so I don't know what you're on about. Lacking co-op in this day and age for a fps is going to get some points docked no matter what console the game is on. And the reviews have highlighted the lack of coop for killzone because they think the atmosphere and the way the game centers around always having a squad or another soldier there with you would have made co-op especially engaging.

And Metal Gear got docked points? It got amazing reviews from gamespot and IGN.

Yes of course you don't know what i'm on about if those the only 2 sites your talking about. IGN has been reviewing better then most sites, and Gamespot seems suspect. What other fps that you know of gets docked for not having co op? CoD4? Most Sony exclusives get hit with bull$hit nitpicking. No originality, no co op, no multiplayer, its true, bad textures, the list goes on.

EvilTyrant
it even got GOTY.

What game got GoTY? Last I saw on Gametrailers GTA4 won GoTY, and on X-Play Fable 2 won it. Metal Gear Solid 4 should've won it, and alot of ppl thought the same.

Zack Fair
MGS4 won GOTY in Gamespot.

IGN and Gamespot are the 2 sources I use to come up with decision. Well...playing the actual game/demo helps too.

S_D_J
MGS4 won GOTY in Gamespot.

IGN and Gamespot are the 2 sources I use to come up with decision. Well...playing the actual game/demo helps too.

Ditto

though I was dissapointent Fallout3 got IGN's GOTY instead of either GTAIV or MGS4

jinXed by JaNx
Well, i'm docking the 360 for the most faulty hardware in gaming history then.

BackFire
Yes of course you don't know what i'm on about if those the only 2 sites your talking about. IGN has been reviewing better then most sites, and Gamespot seems suspect. What other fps that you know of gets docked for not having co op? CoD4? Most Sony exclusives get hit with bull$hit nitpicking. No originality, no co op, no multiplayer, its true, bad textures, the list goes on.

COD4 was over a year ago, just that short time ago co-op wasn't expected as it is now, it was a bonus. Had Killzone 2 come out at the same time people wouldn't care if it didn't have co-op

EvilTyrant
COD4 was over a year ago, just that short time ago co-op wasn't expected as it is now, it was a bonus. Had Killzone 2 come out at the same time people wouldn't care if it didn't have co-op

Gotta call that BS if you ask me, Killzone 2 is pretty much the same idea as CoD just with better graphics and online. Just watch closely when games are Sony Exclusive, listen to what they say and you'll understand.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

Can't blame ya, friend.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
QFT.

Even the Atari 2600 wasn't THAT faulty.

BackFire
Gotta call that BS if you ask me, Killzone 2 is pretty much the same idea as CoD just with better graphics and online. Just watch closely when games are Sony Exclusive, listen to what they say and you'll understand.

You didn't call BS, you just ignored my point.

Killzone 2 came out a year later than COD4. Expectations of games changed between that year.

Any high profile FPS that comes out from here on out that doesn't have a co-op function is going to get docked a bit for it.

EvilTyrant
You didn't call BS, you just ignored my point.

Killzone 2 came out a year later than COD4. Expectations of games changed between that year.

Any high profile FPS that comes out from here on out that doesn't have a co-op function is going to get docked a bit for it.

Hard to ignore a point when you never made one, when other fps already had co op before CoD, 1 year is nothing, your still excusing one game and blasting another.

Kazenji
I was waiting for someone to say this, and truthfully, I think a game should be rated on what it is and not what you wish it to be.

Indeed thats how it should be done

with the Official magazines Playstation/360 thats how they do it

BackFire
Hard to ignore a point when you never made one, when other fps already had co op before CoD, 1 year is nothing, your still excusing one game and blasting another.

If you missed my point take a reading comprehension class.

Point is painfully simple, these days co-op is an EXPECTED inclusion for an FPS game, just one year ago it factually was not. There is the point, made it earlier and you missed it, made it just now more clearly and I have a feeling you're going to miss it again.

I've blasted no game, I've not even played Killzone 2, looks good though. I'd buy it if I had a PS3. All I'm doing is saying why one game not having co-op might be mentioned a bit more often than the other game.

Your thesis is going out the window fast. Killzone 2 is getting rave reviews all over the place. On Metacritic it has a score of 93, while COD4 has one of 94. Their reviews are almost identical if you average them all out.

EvilTyrant
If you missed my point take a reading comprehension class.

Point is painfully simple, these days co-op is an EXPECTED inclusion for an FPS game, just one year ago it factually was not. There is the point, made it earlier and you missed it, made it just now more clearly and I have a feeling you're going to miss it again.

I've blasted no game, I've not even played Killzone 2, looks good though. I'd buy it if I had a PS3. All I'm doing is saying why one game not having co-op might be mentioned a bit more often than the other game.

Your thesis is going out the window fast. Killzone 2 is getting rave reviews all over the place. On Metacritic it has a score of 93, while COD4 has one of 94. Their reviews are almost identical if you average them all out.
Ok, #1 don't tell me to take a reading comprehension class because you think what your saying is the gospel truth. Please tell me where the he!! you've heard it was ok a year ago not to have co op, but now its a standard, and if you don't have it your gonna get docked. I can say the same thing about you missing the obvious double standards. Its just some ppl choose to ignore it, and some others see it plain as day.

ArtificialGlory
Oh yes, of course! It's a worldwide conspiracy against Sony started by Microsoft! How could we have been so blind?! If a PS3 exclusive game doesn't receive perfect scores it must be being docked on purpose, because we all know that PS3, and everything on it, is absolutely flawless.

You'll fit in just fine in there, EvilTyrant.

EvilTyrant
Oh yes, of course! It's a worldwide conspiracy against Sony started by Microsoft! How could we have been so blind?! If a PS3 exclusive game doesn't receive perfect scores it must be being docked on purpose, because we all know that PS3, and everything on it, is absolutely flawless.

You'll fit in just fine in there, EvilTyrant.
You do know that Microsoft is known for this type of stuff, some former employee wrote about it, but hey i'm just a rabid fanboy. Now you do know if your calling me SDF that makes you the opposite.

Nactous
Fallout deserved it.

BackFire
Ok, #1 don't tell me to take a reading comprehension class because you think what your saying is the gospel truth. Please tell me where the he!! you've heard it was ok a year ago not to have co op, but now its a standard, and if you don't have it your gonna get docked. I can say the same thing about you missing the obvious double standards. Its just some ppl choose to ignore it, and some others see it plain as day.

Utter crap.

It IS expected now. Very much so. When COD4 came out it wasn't as expected, it was still wanted but there were still games coming out without it. Make no mistake though, people did complain a bit about COD4 missing co-op, if you read through all the old COD4 reviews you'll find it to be a relatively common complaint. Same is true for Killzone 2, it's mentioned, not like the people reviewing are makinga big deal out of it, they mostly just mention it in passing as something that's missing because 1) It is a factual negative that the game is missing it and 2) the readers might not know, so it's the reviewers job to inform them. It's no conspiracy, just common sense stuff.

EvilTyrant
Utter crap.

It IS expected now. Very much so. When COD4 came out it wasn't as expected, it was still wanted but there were still games coming out without it. Make no mistake though, people did complain a bit about COD4 missing co-op, if you read through all the old COD4 reviews you'll find it to be a relatively common complaint. Same is true for Killzone 2, it's mentioned, not like the people reviewing are makinga big deal out of it, they mostly just mention it in passing as something that's missing because 1) It is a factual negative that the game is missing it and 2) the readers might not know, so it's the reviewers job to inform them. It's no conspiracy, just common sense stuff.

Alright BackFire, i'm gonna check out some of the CoD4 reviews. Glad you didn't resort to name calling, I was just trying to have a friendly debate. Come to think of it, maybe its just Gametrailers that do reviews funny, I even see alot of complaints posted after they do the videos.

EvilTyrant
EDGE SCORES
Halo 3 - 10
Gears of War 2 - 9
Halo 2 - 9

Resistance 2 - 6
Resistance 1 - 7
MGS4 - 8
Killzone 2 - 7

Zack Fair
Edge is crap.

occultdestroyer
Let's see if they'll dock God of War III

King-Fingolfin
Lol. Gears getting a higher score then MGS4.

Mr.blanka
Reviewers have opinions too. If you don't agree with their reviews than go to a site that only reviews PS3 games. Stop being a fanboy and making ridiculous conspiracies.

Zack Fair
LoL@GoW2/Halo 3 getting better scores than MGS4.

That is just wrong and I'm a hardcore Halo fan.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by Mr.blanka
Reviewers have opinions too. If you don't agree with their reviews than go to a site that only reviews PS3 games. Stop being a fanboy and making ridiculous conspiracies.

Never understood why ppl call others fanboys when they don't agree with something. It just makes you a fanboy yourself, btw, nice Master chief sig. I'm just here debating the crap that happens in this industry. If you don't like it, leave, arguing over the internet is a waste of time.

EvilTyrant
Something interesting I've found, this is called the "The Boycott Novell >> 66 pages of Microsoft evil"
Its a long read, but alot will look familiar with whats happening now.
http://boycottnovell.com.nyud.net:8080/2009/02/08/microsoft-evilness-galore/

Kazenji
I know Reviewers have opinions and all another one i'm not a fan of is X-play.

EvilTyrant
Originally posted by Kazenji
I know Reviewers have opinions and all another one i'm not a fan of is X-play.

Yes I agree, the whole G4 network needs to be redone, should be 24 hours of gaming news reviews etc. Sometimes X-Play seems ok, but then they do something later that makes you scratch your head.

EvilTyrant
I'm hearing news about the GameInformer's review on Killzone 2, think it scored a 8.75, but something funny about why it lost points according to the person that posted the thread. He says they say its the best FPS, but it got docked points because its not multiplatform????? If anyone gets GameInformer let me know what it says, because it cant possibly say that. Then again, when they previewed Killzone 2 in an earlier issue they had it as for PS3, Xbox360 and PC. Now how in the hell you make a mistake like that, and it gets published? You won't see that mistake with Gears or Halo.

OB1-adobe
Its no secret that game reviewers and things like G4 have been seemingly pro-360, and the wonder if MS is paying these people off. That wouldn't surprise me, hence the $50 million they blew on the GTA DLC.

Though I am very pleased with Sony's first party games. Many of them on IGN are scored in 9's, and they're pretty high quality.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.