Time for debate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KakashiKun
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

dadudemon
Originally posted by KakashiKun
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

You've intentionally succeeded at failing.

JacopeX
Wow, what a waste of time.

Rogue Jedi
bewbz.

XEmoPrincessX
Wow..........................ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................... just wow.......................=]

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
bewbz.

they rule

AbnormalButSane
Both obviously.

Ax3l
Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
Both obviously.

End thread

DarkC
A successful failure.

Mairuzu
Thread has already Ended Darkc

Rogue Jedi
Thread revived....

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/jedibeastie/receivedfiles/vida.jpg

gefallen_engel
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Thread revived....

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/jedibeastie/receivedfiles/vida.jpg

you suck

Kosta
Is this a maths debate?

HURRR DURRR!!!

Rogue Jedi
Teeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Bewbz.

Zalindrana
You can not try to fail. While in the eyes of others perhaps you have failed, in your own eyes you have succeded at the task you set out to accomplish. So really you can not Try to fail. You can only Fail at something you try. If your told to mix two colors together and make green but you try to make blue and do that, you failed in doing the task correctly but succedded in what you yourself wanted. If however you are told to make blue, you try to make blue and somehow.. dotn ask how... get orange then you fail because that is not what you yourself wanted.

There!

End Thread!

Final Blaxican
"Failure", and "success", are both subjective.

Now, end fo' real.

Zalindrana
LITTLE SHIRO WITH IPOD! ZOMG!

Final Blaxican
I know. It's epic.

Zalindrana
My Little Shiro is just surprised at something his LT said. O.O

Rogue Jedi
I bet having an Ark would be cool.

Cadence Donovan
There once was a man from Nantucket... >.>

Forum Ninja
It's interesting seeing such varying perspectives on what is seemingly a simple riddle.

Kosta
Originally posted by Forum Ninja
It's interesting seeing such varying perspectives on what is seemingly a simple riddle.

Not particularly simple really. About as simple as 'If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?'

It's a riddle to aid meditation.

Forum Ninja
Originally posted by Kosta
Not particularly simple really. About as simple as 'If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?'

It's a riddle to aid meditation.

The tree doesn't make a sound. You see, your eardrum has to pick up the vibrations of the tree falling in order to convert it into sound. So, I suppose it is as simple as a tree falling with no one around to hear it.

I can have my cake AND eat it as well. Too much and I will become fat. Then I cannot be a Ninja any longer.

Rogue Jedi
Why do they call C4 C4?

Scythe
Originally posted by Zalindrana
My Little Shiro is just surprised at something his LT said. O.O

Is that a sexual comment...?

Rogue Jedi
Compound 4!!!

Lord Knightfa11
The tree doesn't make a sound. You see, your eardrum has to pick up the vibrations of the tree falling in order to convert it into sound. So, I suppose it is as simple as a tree falling with no one around to hear it.

I can have my cake AND eat it as well. Too much and I will become fat. Then I cannot be a Ninja any longer. First of all, I know that you said something to lead away from the truth in an indirect attempt to kill your target, hell, even me saying this is probably part of your plan, after all, you are ninja.

As for the answer to the "tree riddle"

1. the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.
2. mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 ft. (331 m) per second at sea level.

If sound is just the "mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium", then the tree does make a sound because the impact and the cracking will cause vibrations in the air. Whether someone is around to witness it is irrelevant, unless we are talking of a matrix-like scenario in which everything is simulated for our stimulation.

Final Blaxican
I'm pretty sure sound isn't technically "sound" until it's processed in an ear or the equivalent of.

Forum Ninja
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
First of all, I know that you said something to lead away from the truth in an indirect attempt to kill your target, hell, even me saying this is probably part of your plan, after all, you are ninja.

As for the answer to the "tree riddle"

1. the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.
2. mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 ft. (331 m) per second at sea level.

If sound is just the "mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium", then the tree does make a sound because the impact and the cracking will cause vibrations in the air. Whether someone is around to witness it is irrelevant, unless we are talking of a matrix-like scenario in which everything is simulated for our stimulation.

That was an excellent and lengthy post. It's unfortunate that vibration and sound are different. Until these vibrations are converted into sound via a mechanism that is capable, there is nothing to hear.

Lord Knightfa11
That was an excellent and lengthy post. It's unfortunate that vibration and sound are different. Until these vibrations are converted into sound via a mechanism that is capable, there is nothing to hear. lol u haven't seen lengthy yet stick out tongue. the scientific defenition of sound, however, according to dictionary.com at least, is simply the vibration, thats what those numbered points were from. Dictionary.com.

Forum Ninja
"the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium."
(Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sound)

It's not simply a vibration. Sound is produced BY that vibration but is not technically that vibration. If no one is around to convert that vibration into that sensory stimulation we call sound, no sound is made. I can understand where you're getting confused here. Sound is seemingly a vibration but it is not. The vibration must undergo a change first.

Lord Knightfa11
Ill concede as the matter is not all that important, and the technical aspects of the riddle do not affect the answer, especially since the question is older than the scientific aspects at question.

It is the same as if "If something happens and nobody is there to witness it, does it really happen?" It's a philosophical question based on a theory that everything is simulated for us, if you will.

GCG
oxymoron

Forum Ninja
It is the same as if "If something happens and nobody is there to witness it, does it really happen?" It's a philosophical question based on a theory that everything is simulated for us, if you will.

Actually, it isn't. The two questions/riddles do not share similar properties.

BruceSkywalker
TNA, WWE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.