Cythonna vs Silver Surfer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
The Kryptonian Goddess of Ice vs the most powerful herald of Galactus!

Avlon
Surfer gets killed in a ridiculous spitestomp.

Naija boy
Dont really know enough about cythonna is so cant say.

Bentley
Originally posted by Naija boy
Dont really know enough about cythonna is so cant say.

But after knowing about her you're likely to vote Surfer.

Naija boy
Originally posted by Bentley
But after knowing about her you're likely to vote Surfer.

Maybe. stick out tongue. Still what are her powers etc.? Since she is an ice goddess is she like skyfather level? or a lower level god?

Bentley
That's her story (if any one has time it should be put in comic vine or wikipedia):

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/1999-post-crisis-reviews/c-review-1999.php?topic=superman-lastgod

Starscream M
Originally posted by Avlon
Surfer gets killed in a ridiculous spitestomp. lol she got beat by Superman

kgkg
Maybe. stick out tongue. Still what are her powers etc.? Since she is an ice goddess is she like skyfather level? or a lower level god? Sky father level? no

She was sent to the void by Roa

-Superman was doing decent against her , She had problem with Sun's heat.

When Superman tossed a Kryptonite at her and tossed her in the Sun it was set and match

Something Surfer should replicate

all this considering Superman at that time could not stay in space for that long

kgkg
Cythonna gets pulled in the Sun

Mindset
Surfer gets killed in a ridiculous spitestomp. So is what kg said not true?

Naija boy
Originally posted by kgkg
Sky father level? no

She was sent to the void by Roa

-Superman was doing decent against her , She had problem with Sun's heat.

When Superman tossed a Kryptonite at her and tossed her in the Sun it was set and match

Something Surfer should replicate

all this considering Superman at that time could not stay in space for that long

Ah i see. Surfer FTW then.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Starscream M
lol she got beat by Superman

She was losing power and he was sun-amped.

Mindship
"When it seems that Superman has been defeated, he knocks away Cythonna and flees into outer spaSuperman lures Cythonna towards the sun. He is healed by the sunlight and they become evenly matched because Cythonna's powers become weaker. Cythonna then shows Superman her true form, grabs him, and starts to kill him as the cold envelopes his body. When all seems lost, Lois appears in a Kryptonian battle suit and throws Cythonna away from Superman. But Cythonna charges back and attacks lois. Superman throws the Kryptonite and Cythonna is shot down into the core of the earth where she is trapped."

She gets weakened by the sun, and is able to be held by the earth's core...hardly seems a match for Soarin' Norrin.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Mindship
"When it seems that Superman has been defeated, he knocks away Cythonna and flees into outer spaSuperman lures Cythonna towards the sun. He is healed by the sunlight and they become evenly matched because Cythonna's powers become weaker. Cythonna then shows Superman her true form, grabs him, and starts to kill him as the cold envelopes his body. When all seems lost, Lois appears in a Kryptonian battle suit and throws Cythonna away from Superman. But Cythonna charges back and attacks lois. Superman throws the Kryptonite and Cythonna is shot down into the core of the earth where she is trapped."

She gets weakened by the sun, and is able to be held by the earth's core...hardly seems a match for Soarin' Norrin. Surfer can create heat

kgkg
Originally posted by Mindship

She gets weakened by the sun, and is able to be held by the earth's core...hardly seems a match for Soarin' Norrin. It was the Sun's Core

not Earth

psycho gundam
soooo... superman forgot he had heat vision? sounds like cis on his part.

Mindship
Originally posted by kgkg
It was the Sun's Core

not Earth
I gather, then, the website got it wrong. Still, it makes her look subSurfery.

Avlon
Originally posted by Mindset
So is what kg said not true?

It's definitely true.

She's a kryptonian ice goddess who easily smacked Superman around on Earth.
He took her to the sun to amp himself up and weaken her, and although he did better, she was still about to physically overpower her before Lois used kryptonite on her.

With a combo of Lois, amped up Superman, Kryptonite, and weakening her in the sun they finally defeated her.

To be weakened by the sun, and yet STILL be able to overpower Supes while he powers up there is quite the feat.

Avlon
lol she got beat by Superman

Did you even read the story?

Starscream M
Did you even read the story? I know what transpired

I'm also not underestimating her

just laughing that you called it a spitestomp

Avlon
I know what transpired

I'm also not underestimating her

just laughing that you called it a spitestomp

A chick that can smack around a sunamped Supes can't rock Surfer?

That's laughable.

Starscream M
A chick that can smack around a sunamped Supes can't rock Surfer?

That's laughable. a chick that happens to have severe vulnerabilities to exploit

-heat
-kryptonite
-gravity

all 3 which Surfer could potentially utilitze to disastrous effect

now, I'm not saying Surfer wins...but saying it's a shitstomp is simply ridiculous.

Avlon
a chick that happens to have severe vulnerabilities to exploit

-heat
-kryptonite
-gravity

all 3 which Surfer could potentially utilitze to disastrous effect

now, I'm not saying Surfer wins...but saying it's a shitstomp is simply ridiculous.

http://mattcbr.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/facepalmbq8.jpg

Now...seriously. Let's try this again, she was still overpowering Supes IN THE SUN.

A weakened Cythonna is still > Sunamped Supes.

The combination of the sun, kryptonite, Superman, and Kryptonian battle armor weakened her enough to trap her in the sun. She has no weakness to gravity.

Starscream M

Now...seriously. Let's try this again, she was still overpowering Supes IN THE SUN.

The combination of the sun, kryptonite, Superman, and Kryptonian battle armor weakened her enough to trap her in the sun. She has no weakness to gravity.

she was trapped to the core of the sun by its gravitational force...ie she couldn't escape the sun's gravity

Surfer could create a blackhole that will swallow her whole...considering light can't even escape the pull of gravity from the black hole

Newjak
http://mattcbr.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/facepalmbq8.jpg

The combination of the sun, kryptonite, Superman, and Kryptonian battle armor weakened her enough to trap her in the sun. She has no weakness to gravity. You know to be fare that really wasn't a facepalming worthy post of his.

Considering what the Surfer can do when he has sound weaknesses in his opponent to exploit before erm

Avlon
she was trapped to the core of the sun by its gravitational force...ie she couldn't escape the sun's gravity

Surfer could create a blackhole that will swallow her whole...considering light can't even escape the pull of gravity from the black hole

So Surfer going to create a constant sun, kryptonite, and physically overpower her (even though supes couldn't) until she gets weakened enough so that he can toss her in a black hole.

...All while he battles her....

erm

Starscream M
So Surfer going to create a constant sun, kryptonite, and physically overpower her (even though supes couldn't) until she gets weakened enough so that he can toss her in a black hole.

erm or he could create a blackhole immediately to defeat her

Avlon
or he could create a blackhole immediately to defeat her

Again, how is he going to weaken her enough to trap her in that gravity?
He'll need a Sun, he'll have to be stronger than an amped Superman, have kryptonite, and last long enough for these to have an effect.

That's a tall order.

Starscream M
Again, how is he going to weaken her enough to trap her in that gravity?
He'll need a Sun, he'll have to be stronger than an amped Superman, have kryptonite, and last long enough for these to have an effect.

That's a tall order. why would he have to weaken her...how do you assume even in peak shape she could escape the pull of a blackhole...where the gravity is so strong even light cannot escape.

Bentley
Surfer FTW then.

zomfg

Enyalus

Meh, that sunamped Supes wasn't much stronger than his base form. He broke her grip while on Earth and backhanded her away. Absolutely, she was stronger than him while on Earth and while he was sunamped she wasn't...but the gap wasn't that big in either case. And sunlight and gravity are things Surfer can use to hurt her. Plus IMO Current Surfer > '99 Supes strengthwise.

...That being said, her true form still nearly overpowered the aforementioned sunamped Supes, and she can't die...so I'd give her a 6-7/10 majority against Surfer. smile

Avlon
why would he have to weaken her...how do you assume even in peak shape she could escape the pull of a blackhole...where the gravity is so strong even light cannot escape.

She's physically superior to Clark and Norrin in every way under normal circumstances.

That's why the multiple plot devices were needed to defeat her.

Originally posted by Enyalus
Meh, that sunamped Supes wasn't much stronger than his base form. He broke her grip while on Earth and backhanded her away. Absolutely, she was stronger than him while on Earth and while he was sunamped she wasn't...but the gap wasn't that big in either case. And sunlight and gravity are things Surfer can use to hurt her. Plus IMO Current Surfer > '99 Supes strengthwise.

...That being said, her true form still nearly overpowered the aforementioned sunamped Supes, and she can't die...so I'd give her a 6-7/10 majority against Surfer. smile

I'd give SS a win under the same circumstance as Supes. Otherwise, It's a spite stomp. I don't see either Supes or her winning a majority of any kind under normal circumstances.

Bentley
She's physically superior to Clark and Norrin in every way under normal circumstances.

That's why the multiple plot devices were needed to defeat her.

I'd give SS a win under the same circumstance as Supes. Otherwise, It's a spite stomp. I don't see either Supes or her winning a majority of any kind under normal circumstances.

To be honest, Supes has not as much flexibility to fight, her, there is mind rape, astral plane attacks and becoming atom sized and transmutate her brain into kryptonite. Superman has incredible power but is more limited in his choices, Surfer has similar durability (I don't think a GL would pull any of the above mentioned attacks) and crazy abilities.

Enyalus

IMO Current Supes is physically at least on par with her. '99 he wasn't faster than light nor could he breathe in outer space for long periods of time. Dunno about strength-wise...

UltraDCFan
As a longtime fan of DC comics (but Marvel almost the same), and someone who appreciates so many of the super heros we've seen through both DC and Marvel Universes, I must say that I believe Cythonna would win without question.

There are a few things to consider here:

After a one shot slap to the face that almost knocked superman out completely, Lois says to Superman, "I've never seen you so worried Clark, are you sure she didn't hurt you". It's rare for Superman to seem "worried" about anyone or thing he may have to face. But it says even more when his shared concern for himself is expressed in his reply to Lois, "She demonstrated a complete contempt for life, a sensitivity bordering on the telepathic, and a strength beyond anything I've ever encountered".

The last two lines are important because for one, she does seem to have other powers besides just her raw physical strength, that might counter the surfer's abilities. And of course the fact that superman is telling us something quite amazing about this incredibly powerful Goddess/Super Villainess. For superman to admit such a thing, and only after a first encounter when she knocked him silly by simply backhanding him, says a lot about her level of strength. And this should be considered when we pose the scenario of how the Surfer would stand if he were to come face to face with her.

If we are to offer any credit to this story within the DC Universe, according to Superman, she's physically stronger and more powerful than anyone he's ever encountered. That says a lot when you consider some of the exceptionally powerful villains he's encountered, and who've seemed to completely trump his strength. A few pages later (also before their big fight and after their first encounter when she knocked him silly by slapping him once and almost knocking him out) Superman says, "I'm scared myself Lois, her blow was easily as strong as any I took from the three super criminals I was once forced to execute, and this was a backhand, a casual backhand".

I must agree with some others who've brought it up here, it was the combination of several things that was able to weaken her enough. But when it comes to raw strength vs strength, she was superior to Clark (to say the least), even when weakened significantly, and while his strength was at heightened levels. And when she wasn't weakened by the affects of several significant factors, superman seemed to be getting the beat-down of his life when he encountered her.

And is it any wonder why? She's a Goddess, and one who even challenged Rao, proving that the God's themselves could not even destroy her. This again speaks of the level her incredibly powerful and amazing strength must have been on, because not even Rao, who is exceptionally powerful in the Mythical World of DC Universe, was able to overcome her using strength alone. Or at least nothing is said. Instead "they" (the Gods) were only able to lock her away for a time. DC has never stated just how physically superior their God's were to their mortals; were they hundreds of times as strong as one of their mortals, thousands of times? We don't know. But Cythonna was no joke and it was proven when she completely worked Superman over and threw him around like a doll.

In fact unlike many covers that appear in the world of comics, where an illustration on the front seems to be completely far from the content within, the picture in which Cythonna holding/lifting a helpless and terrified superman over her head is quite accurate to the incredible keister-whooping she bestows upon him in the pages within. Yes there were a few instances when he seemed to break away for a quick moment, but it would not be more than a second before she was back on top of him pummeling him with slaps, punches, and kicks either sent him flying, or knocked him silly. In any case, it's apparent that supes offers absolutely no counter resistance to her strength, when she's smacking him around, holding him by the throat with just one hand, or picking him up and tossing him around.

Cythonna was a rogue character who came fast, depicted as one of the most powerful, but had to likewise go. (DC wouldn't have much of a story line if they kept her around, because not too many would be able to challenge and match her strength) But because she only lasts for one book/comic appearance, most are unaware of Cythonna, and some superman fans seem to have such a big problem imagining that superman, one of the most powerful heros in the DC Universe, could be so easily overpowered by another character. Perhaps it's even harder for them to admit it when the villain beating him down so effortlessly is a female character. For this reason some have tried to say it's her power of ice that weakened superman (I guess from blocking the sun) that was really beating him. But this goes against all the content and things stated by characters themselves, including superman regarding her monstrous power and strength.

When Lex was trying to offer his assistance to help figure out a way for superman to defeat her and says to Clark, "She's kyrptonian, she's stronger than you, and she clearly has an agenda" superman did not try and deny any of this. And again, for the umpteenth time, SHE'S A GODDESS". How much stronger is superman to a human from Earth? Hundreds, thousands, or millions of times? How much more strength would a God or Goddess (in Cythonna's case) from superman's home planet possess? So just how powerful is this Super Goddess? We don't know because the world of comics is imaginative, and never seems to give us some kind of tangible scale on which attributes like strength, power, etc can be measured. But she may just very well be one of the strongest that the DC Universe has ever known.

Is it any wonder they wrote her off instead of continuing her as a super villain to terrorize the DC Universe? Could it be that on the level of strength and power she's portrayed, she'd completely dominate and overwhelm all within the DC Universe, both heroes and villains alike, and so they needed to write her off quickly? She was good for a short story of something superman would once face, but just too strong and powerful to be kept around. And I personally don't think too many would have lasted in her presence or would have been able to match her strength, even some of superman's most powerful foes.

So when it comes to the scenario of what would happen if Silver Surfer stepped up against Cythonna, keep in mind that she was not just some villainess who appeared at times may have got the upperhand on superman. She was a Super Villainess, even more, a Super Goddess who's strength was unlike any superman has ever before encountered. And, who without using any special powers or technology, completely dominated superman with what seemed to be very little effort, while remaining completely unaffected by his best attempts to mitigate her incredible raw strength and power.

So with that, I'd have to say that Silver Surfer, much as I love him, in all fairness, and in my opinion, wouldn't stand a chance against someone who he says "possesses a strength beyond anything he's ever encountered".

Sr J-Bieb
I agree with Nvr.

Surfer easily

Ambient
Exactly the same well happen. Surfer sun amps like Supes while Cythonna weakens and YES, Surfer can very much become ridiculously powerful when amp like say a sundipped Superman..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.