Secret Warriors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willRules
Apologies if this thread already exists and I missed it....

Anyone pick up the first issue? Any thoughts, comments?

Last page reveal was pretty epic Hydra were responsible for SHIELD's creation and have been the big epic company hiding behind the MU, plotting for years. All the other supposedly massive groups such as AIM or the Secret Empire are just Hydra factions. Not even Fury knew how big they were or how far their influence stretches until this issue.

Endless Mike
Wait - why would Hydra create SHIELD?

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by Endless Mike

For lulz?

manjaro
yeah it kind of threw me for a loop as well. becuase here we have hydra that was awesome enuff to set itslef up as the empire who rules from behind the shadows, when superhumainty was in its relative infancy but when it comes down to it, it always ends up being helmed by these crazy ass, incompetent lunatics....that some lone hero can take down at anytime....Lulz indeed big grin

Enyalus
Yeah, I didn't really understand why Hydra was the power behind SHIELD, either. Seems like they'd be able to take over the world any time they wanted.

And apparently Osborn is in league with Hydra, too. Possibly even running it.

iceman24567
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
For lulz? thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Well that's one hell of a retcon.

Bentley
Originally posted by manjaro
yeah it kind of threw me for a loop as well. becuase here we have hydra that was awesome enuff to set itslef up as the empire who rules from behind the shadows, when superhumainty was in its relative infancy but when it comes down to it, it always ends up being helmed by these crazy ass, incompetent lunatics....that some lone hero can take down at anytime....Lulz indeed big grin

At least that would explain how Red Skull gained his influence in Hydra and AIM, he is friends with the boss.

BruceSkywalker
First issue was ok, hopefully the next issue will be better

tjcoady
So the consensus is that it's pretty good?

I'm torn between my distaste for Bendis and my enjoyment of his co-author's Nightly News , one of the better indie titles of the last couple of years.

Draco69
Good Lord, Marvel is going down the toilet hole.....

First, first some goddamn reason The Green friggin' Goblin was given control over every superhuman in the country.

Now, apparently SHIELD was created by Hydra to kick it's own ass?! Pffft. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Draco69
Originally posted by Enyalus

And apparently Osborn is in league with Hydra, too. Possibly even running it.

So Osburn is now in charge of Hydra?!

The Green Goblin?!

This guy?!:

http://www.tacwb.com/Green_goblin.jpg

Enyalus
Originally posted by Draco69

The Green Goblin?!

This guy?!:

Hydra personnel and soldiers wear green...it all makes sense now, doesn't it?

On a related note: The Kryptonite Man & Brainiac also work for Hydra, in order to secretly conquer DC Earth. Oh, and the Guardians of the Universe. Ever wonder why they've recently started acting like dictators? Yeah - fascists. You got it right.

willRules

The Green Goblin?!

This guy?!:

Whoa!!! It never said in the issue that Osborn's in charge of Hydra, as far as I read that wasn't even implied. no

As for retcons, not really. Of course Hydra would be responsible for SHIELD's creation. The very reason SHIELD was created was to combat terrorism and Hydra's the biggest group of terrorists. It's kinda obvious they'd be responsible for SHIELD's creation. It's like saying "WHOA WAIT A MINUTE, THERE'S POLICE BECAUSE OF CRIMINALS???!!!" roll eyes (sarcastic)

In fact if you read the classic issue in which Nick Fury becomes head of SHIELD, you see he is already attacked before he can settle into his chair!

Personally I thought the first issue was great. Well written opening and clear mission statement for the series. Dialogue was a little too cheesy. Art was gorgeous. The supplementary material at the end was the first time it felt like it had a purpose other than just taking up space, which IMO is a first for any Marvel or DC comic.

willRules
Originally posted by Endless Mike

Well obviously for a different means than it actually turned out because SHIELD has always been the biggest thorn in Hydra's side, especially when Fury was in charge.

Enyalus
Originally posted by willRules
Whoa!!! It never said in the issue that Osborn's in charge of Hydra, as far as I read that wasn't even implied. no

No, but Nick mentioned that if the Dark Avengers showed up, then he would know that the current administration is corrupt. And they did show up. And Osborn runs the Dark Avengers. So...

willRules
Originally posted by Enyalus
No, but Nick mentioned that if the Dark Avengers showed up, then he would know that the current administration is corrupt. And they did show up. And Osborn runs the Dark Avengers. So...

.....the current administration is corrupt. We already knew that from Dark Avengers #1. That doesn't necessarily mean Osborn runs Hydra, in fact it might mean he's unknowingly working for them seeing as one of the Hydra sub-factions included the US government and SHIELD (which is now HAMMER) yes

Kazenji
Damn Bendis retconning too much stuff.

willRules
This series is gonna show Fury as such a badass to make up for his absence the last few years yes

Bentley
Well obviously for a different means than it actually turned out because SHIELD has always been the biggest thorn in Hydra's side, especially when Fury was in charge.

Of course not, there wouldn't be need of selling weapons and using traffic if there was not a competent police to make the task difficult. Then, Hydra could resell the things SHIELD gets and reuse them to continue the circle, winning more and more from each party involved including the government.

Seems clear to me.

willRules
Originally posted by Bentley
Of course not, there wouldn't be need of selling weapons and using traffic if there was not a competent police to make the task difficult. Then, Hydra could resell the things SHIELD gets and reuse them to continue the circle, winning more and more from each party involved including the government.

Seems clear to me.

Ah that's an interesting angle. War profiteering by creating the opponents yes

GGS
Sounds like Bendis has just completed the Metal Gear Solid games before deciding to do this retcon.

Phantom Zone
Oh shit Gorgons back. I was wondering when he would, hes just to good a villain to stay dead.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Oh shit Gorgons back. I was wondering when he would, hes just to good a villain to stay dead.

Nope, that's not it.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Nope, that's not it.

? Looks like him.

willRules
? Looks like him.

He's not saying it isn't Gorgon, he's saying that he doesn't think Gorgon's a good creation.

I disagree though. Millar made him such a badass when he introduced us to him in Wolverine #20 (?)

Phantom Zone
He's not saying it isn't Gorgon, he's saying that he doesn't think Gorgon's a good creation.

I disagree though. Millar made him such a badass when he introduced us to him in Wolverine #20 (?)

Yeah I disagree also.

Kazenji
Great series

Howling Commando's vs Hydra vs Hammer next Secret Warriors.

willRules
Art is great as well yes

Battlehammer

kris thinking something about wolverine being bad creation what a shocker lol.

gorgon bad ass, one of my favorite miller creations.

Battlehammer
DUM DUM DUGAN gunna kick some ass I love that guy

Disappear
i liked gorgon's backstory, primarily the first page of whatever comic it was introduced in, much more than i liked anything he did elsewhere in his "career." child prodigies are always fun to play with.

StiltmanFTW

Yes, it was #20.

The Pict
Good Lord, Marvel is going down the toilet hole.....

First, first some goddamn reason The Green friggin' Goblin was given control over every superhuman in the country.

Now, apparently SHIELD was created by Hydra to kick it's own ass?! Pffft. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Agreed.

Kazenji
They're discussing this on the Marvel Board saying Nick Fury may have other secret warrior groups going from what you seen in Issue #4 of them Nick Fury LMD's.

willRules
http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=34073&mode=search

scifinut
when is ares going to find out fury is using his kid? i can't wait for that confrontation. also did wolverine confront nick about how he used him in the last secret war or did logan just drop it?

OneDumbG0
^ Not to my recollection. But they have collaborated with each other since Secret War, so maybe Wolverine just dropped it.

Battlehammer
anyone elses really liking this series, it like my favorite comic run currently

Battlehammer
Originally posted by scifinut
when is ares going to find out fury is using his kid? i can't wait for that confrontation. also did wolverine confront nick about how he used him in the last secret war or did logan just drop it?

That small potatoes what Logan learned ocnes he regained his memories.

willRules
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ Not to my recollection. But they have collaborated with each other since Secret War, so maybe Wolverine just dropped it.

When did they collaborate post Secret War? I though Fury had only made a couple of cameo appearances in Brubaker's run on Cap post Secret War?

Phantom Zone
Issues 5 and 6 were good. Im loving the artwork.

willRules
Stefano Caselli reminds me of Mark Bagley. I reckon he can draw any character well yes

Phantom Zone
Stefano Caselli reminds me of Mark Bagley. I reckon he can draw any character well yes

The thing that got me was that scene were one of the bad guys puts his foot on Nick Fury's chest. It was such a simple act but even that looked good. They should keep this artist on this book permantently kinda like they did with the artist for The Avengers in the 80s.

The bad guys look so awesome.

Battlehammer
The thing that got me was that scene were one of the bad guys puts his foot on Nick Fury's chest. It was such a simple act but even that looked good. They should keep this artist on this book permantently kinda like they did with the artist for The Avengers in the 80s.

The bad guys look so awesome.

Yea I have to agree. It one of the best runs out there and is my favorite currently, I like the fact there old characters plus new ones, add in some awesome villains and some great writing and you got a home run. Plus I like Dum Dum Dugan.

The bad guys look awosome I agree.

Disappear
the whole "contessa is madame hydra" thing was cool, though it still doesnt explain the "viper isn't madame hydra" thing; and it felt re-done after i read the black widow reveal in the latest thunderbolts. nick's getting his hands back into every cookie jar, which i thoroughly enjoy, but i'm not sure i understand the new, more in-depth hydra hierarchy anymore.

Battlehammer
I love this series

Phantom Zone
I dunno Secret Warriors is kinda slow but it has its moments. I like the interaction between Ares and his son.

I actually really like the new artist as well.

Kazenji
So a Russian group called Leviathan is involved now.

Kazenji
Big fight between Ares and his Son coming up.

Battlehammer
again Dum Dum Dugan get kicked to the curb, i I am very dispointed.

Deadline
That artist is back on Secret Warriors in issue 11. I swear hes got to be the best comic penciller in the whole world.

Kazenji
Latest issue #13 was a good read

but a while back i sorta lose interest in the series with #8-10.

Kazenji
Next issue will reveal how Strucker and Kraken rebuilt HYDRA.

Deadline
Im thinking of dropping this title. Really it was kinda interesting at first but this is starting to be a waste of time.

Battlehammer
I still like it a lo it just moving really slowly

Deadline
Originally posted by Battlehammer
I still like it a lo it just moving really slowly

You can say that again.

Battlehammer
They need to condenses the issues togather. Though it seems to be picking up recently. They may have simply kept it slow to set the scene.

Deadline
Originally posted by Battlehammer
They need to condenses the issues togather. Though it seems to be picking up recently. They may have simply kept it slow to set the scene.

I dunno it doesn't have to have fighting all the time, but something needs to be going on as well. I can't see much, maybe I need to go back and read some issues.

Kazenji
So now Viper is Madame Hydra.

vansonbee
Anyone read issue#21?

Ares son went tier to tier w/ Gordan! Very unusual how both their powers didn't effect each other. I can understand the 2 swords broke on contact due to their origin (made from the same person).

What you guys think Ares son trying to die by dying?

Kazenji
Secret Warriors ends with #27

http://marvel.com/news/story/15778/secret_warriors_the_end

Kazenji
Anyone read issue #26?

Got reaveled it has'nt been SHIELD working for Hydra its actually been the other way around

Kazenji
Wow

anyone checked out Issue #27?

Nick Fury put a couple of bullets into Baron Von Strucker head

wonder how long until he pops his head up again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.