Worse caracterizations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bentley
At times a character is poorly written, contradicting his classic or established behavior and his personality. The idea of the thread is to discuss bad interpretations of the characters.

Let's start with:

Bendis Dialogue.

Kris Blaze
Bendis means that everybody will be swearing non-stop.

Loeb's characterization is also pretty poor. All characters exist solely to compliment one guy.

tjcoady
I generally give Mark Millar a little leeway, because when he's good, I always really enjoy him- but his characterization of Johnny Storm is pretty bad.

Either that, or he's just ignoring the past thirty years of work on the Human Torch just for kicks.

TricksterPriest
Starlin. Thanos&Adam Warlock are the only characters he can write at all decently.

Mcduffie. Just........Mcduffie.

Geoff Johns. Hate to agree with Val, but when he bombs, he bombs hard. Doesnt' do it very often, but he's dropped the ball a few times.

Whoever was writing Flash with those two kids. That guy needs to die.

Nihilist
Dr Doom as of late has been bad

Enyalus
Originally posted by TricksterPriest

Amen.

Whoever the writer is of the new Deadpool series (I don't recall the name) is crappy, too. I want Fabian Nicieza. sad

...Consequently, Nicieza's portrayal of Genis-Vell during the New Thunderbolts run was pretty bad.

willRules
Originally posted by Bentley
At times a character is poorly written, contradicting his classic or established behavior and his personality. The idea of the thread is to discuss bad interpretations of the characters.

Let's start with:

Bendis Dialogue.

Bendis is probably one of the best comic writers when it comes to dialogue no expression

Originally posted by tjcoady
I generally give Mark Millar a little leeway, because when he's good, I always really enjoy him- but his characterization of Johnny Storm is pretty bad.

Either that, or he's just ignoring the past thirty years of work on the Human Torch just for kicks.

I love Millar's work yes

srankmissingnin
Warren Ellis' dialogue in Astonishing is cringe worthy. sad

Bentley
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

True that, normally I love the guy, but I don't get his X-men.

The guy who drew Namor in the Secret Illuminati issue... Really, what's up with that?

Enyalus

The guy who drew Namor in the Secret Illuminati issue... Really, what's up with that?

LOL! He drew everyone except for Doom and Emma shitty.

Vally Doosh
Geoff Johns. Hate to agree with Val, but when he bombs, he bombs hard. Doesnt' do it very often, but he's dropped the ball a few times.
Doesn't do it often? I'm sure Johns writes more than one comic a month. ha-som

willRules

Alex Maleev

AlmightyKfish
Terrax, in that Sentry issue. All eco terroristy.

Terrax is not a pissed off hippy.

Wade Wilson
Wolverine in any Ennis book. I mean, he went berserk because Punisher said that he is short. Also he was screaming like a little girl all the time.. sick

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by Wade Wilson
Wolverine in any Ennis book. I mean, he went berserk because Punisher said that he is short. Also he was screaming like a little girl all the time.. sick

Most comic heroes in Ennis books are written like retarded 10 year olds.

Ennis does not like the costumes confused

tjcoady
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Most comic heroes in Ennis books are written like retarded 10 year olds.

Ennis does not like the costumes confused

He likes Superman.

Kazenji
really ?

Raoul
Starlin. Thanos&Adam Warlock are the only characters he can write at all decently.

Mcduffie. Just........Mcduffie.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

QFT.

Originally posted by willRules
Bendis is probably one of the best comic writers when it comes to dialogue no expression

you honestly think so?

Enyalus
I just reread some SS v3 stuff, and the changeover from Ron Marz to Mike Lackey was f*cking painful to see. I mean, Morg goes from an intergalactic warrior and executioner to being given a Confederate Southern American accent. I mean, 'namby-pamby,' and 'cause I had ta team up with that sissy...' facepalm

Horrible.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Kazenji
really ?

Freaking adores him. Read the issue of Hitman where Tommy meets Superman. The only writer I've ever seen give such a great "Superman is awesome" speech is Morrison.

Or the JLA/Hitman crossover. That came out pretty recently. Most of the JLA are written typical Ennis style (except for Wonder Woman), but Superman is, again, treated respectfully and reverently.

skygunner41
SO who do you all think those writer that been mentioned should be banned from writing comic at all.?

Raoul
Originally posted by tjcoady
Freaking adores him. Read the issue of Hitman where Tommy meets Superman. The only writer I've ever seen give such a great "Superman is awesome" speech is Morrison.

Or the JLA/Hitman crossover. That came out pretty recently. Most of the JLA are written typical Ennis style (except for Wonder Woman), but Superman is, again, treated respectfully and reverently.

yeah, i remember reading that. flash and gl were terrible, but superman got tons of respect. i loved batman's face when he realised superman knew tommy...

Bouboumaster
4 letters: Loeb.

willRules
Originally posted by Raoul
you honestly think so?

yes Ultimate Spider-man?

Kris Blaze
yes Ultimate Spider-man?

The characters' thoughts usually consist of "**** you" or "I love you" Or a combination of me, you, ****, love, hate.

willRules
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
The characters' thoughts usually consist of "**** you" or "I love you" Or a combination of me, you, ****, love, hate.

Well that's more of an opinion than fact. Kong isn't a character like that at all. Neither's Kitty. Or Liz Allen. Or MJ. Or Peter. Or May. Or Harry when he was alive. Fury used to have a major role and he wasn't like that. Uncle Ben wasn't like that.

J. Jonah Jameson, maybe. But other than that I disagree. smile

Kris Blaze
Well that's more of an opinion than fact. Kong isn't a character like that at all. Neither's Kitty. Or Liz Allen. Or MJ. Or Peter. Or May. Or Harry when he was alive. Fury used to have a major role and he wasn't like that. Uncle Ben wasn't like that.

J. Jonah Jameson, maybe. But other than that I disagree. smile '

It's a great idea to use one series as an example.

I can list all the characters in his other series WHO DIDN'T act like that, but they're mostly minor characters and of little importance. And fortunately, Bendis is able to differ between a 16 year old boy and adults.

Whether you believe it or not, this does not warrant a medal or "greatest comic book writer of the century" prize.

Read Avengers uhuh

willRules
'

It's a great idea to use one series as an example.

I can list all the characters in his other series WHO DIDN'T act like that, but they're mostly minor characters and of little importance. And fortunately, Bendis is able to differ between a 16 year old boy and adults.

Whether you believe it or not, this does not warrant a medal or "greatest comic book writer of the century" prize.

I never said he was greatest writer of the century. I said....

And yes, I agree, it is a a great idea to use one series as an example of his use of dialogue. New Avenger's isn't as good in terms of dialogue and it's also written by Bendis. So I didn't use that one as an example. roll eyes (sarcastic) Doesn't change my opinion that he is one of the best writers in comics when it comes to dialogue which can be seen in Ultimate Spider-man.

I was using Ultimate Spider-man to uphold my opinion that he writes brilliant dialogue. I can list examples even within that title of poor dialogue as well as extremely good dialogue. Still doesn't change my opinion. Many people like all of Alan Moore's comics, some only like Watchmen. Both groups might argue that Alan Moore can write some of the best stories in comics and both might use Watchmen as an example of this.

There that wasn't difficult to understand was it? I can be as condescending as you need me to be. smile

steverules_2
I love ult. spider-man, ult. clone saga was way better than the original

willRules
Ultimate Clone saga was amazing and Bagley's art is gorgeous yes

EDIT: AND THERE'S SOME FANTASTIC DIALOGUE FROM PETER'S P.O.V IN THAT STORY stick out tongue

steverules_2
I've seen some of the issues that are coming out and they got some pretty interesting ones coming out

Kris Blaze
I never said he was greatest writer of the century. I said....

And yes, I agree, it is a a great idea to use one series as an example of his use of dialogue. New Avenger's isn't as good in terms of dialogue and it's also written by Bendis. So I didn't use that one as an example. roll eyes (sarcastic) Doesn't change my opinion that he is one of the best writers in comics when it comes to dialogue which can be seen in Ultimate Spider-man.

I was using Ultimate Spider-man to uphold my opinion that he writes brilliant dialogue. I can list examples even within that title of poor dialogue as well as extremely good dialogue. Still doesn't change my opinion. Many people like all of Alan Moore's comics, some only like Watchmen. Both groups might argue that Alan Moore can write some of the best stories in comics and both might use Watchmen as an example of this.

There that wasn't difficult to understand was it? I can be as condescending as you need me to be. smile

Bendis does a great job in the Ultimate universe.

Unfortunately he's doing one of the main titles 616 marvel and doing a bang up job on the dialogue.

Vally Doosh
Originally posted by skygunner41
SO who do you all think those writer that been mentioned should be banned from writing comic at all.?
Personally, I think Geoff Johns should not be allowed within 10 feet of any writing tools.

willRules
Bendis does a great job in the Ultimate universe.

Unfortunately he's doing one of the main titles 616 marvel and doing a bang up job on the dialogue.

HEY HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ARGUE WITH YOU IF YOU AGREE WITH ME???!!! mad stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.