21st Century Breakdown (Green Day Album)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Grey Fox
Green Day's upcoming studio album, 21st Century Breakdown is planned to be released May this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Breakdown

What are people's thoughts and hopes for this album?

Personally I'm highly looking forward to it, being a bit of a Green Day fan, but I know lots of people aren't so fond of them.

This might get merged into the 'Green Day' thread, but I decided that if Kanye West's 2008 album "808 & Heartbreak" got a thread, so should this.

jaden101
It'll most likely be as subtle as a brick in the face in terms of it's message...Can't say it's something i'm particularly enthralled about.

AC/DC'S_LVR
intrigued mhmm

Captain REX
I don't really know enough about Green Day or the upcoming album to really pass judgement, but I will say that I got ridiculously tired of 'American Idiot' (the album, not the song) by the end of my freshmen year of high school. I enjoyed probably three songs and even those got tiring. I also didn't really like the message.

But I'm always willing to see where things go.

Wind Sister
For the first few listens, their songs are really fun. I'm looking forward to another album I can listen to for a couple of months and have fun with ^_^

But ultimately, it'll be short lived, I think.

RedAlertv2
Green Day are an old favorite and I even liked American Idiot so I'll be giving this a listen for sure.

jinXed by JaNx
By the albums title it sounds like another politically themed album. I haven't heard it so i can't say what i think about it but i really disliked American Idiot. American Idiot was a very melancholy album with to much of a political purpose.

k1Lla441
green day is getting worse and worse as they go along. let them die already.

Captain REX
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
By the albums title it sounds like another politically themed album. I haven't heard it so i can't say what i think about it but i really disliked American Idiot. American Idiot was a very melancholy album with to much of a political purpose.

Basically what I was thinking.

~Wålshy~
From Q magazine:

http://i40.tinypic.com/10p6b9j.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/w6tqb6.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/sc9myw.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2bw13o.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/9sc8ci.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/ih42yw.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/wwesnm.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/351cmqp.jpg

Mairuzu
If its anything like their old stuff im all in

geshien
Meh. GD never thrilled me. I like them, but I certainly don't circle my calendar when they come to town or release a CD.

I didn't care for American Idiot either.

~Wålshy~
Originally posted by Mairuzu
If its anything like their old stuff im all in Why? Did The Beatles just keep playing the same thing? They evolved, matured and that.

Heart Like A Hand Grenade documentary, (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/03/heart-like-a-ha.html)

Mairuzu

~Wålshy~
you just got bad taste boyo!

http://petitionspot.com/petitions/heartlikeahandgrenade

Mairuzu
you know.

~Wålshy~
uAEsmYaps9Q

A preview of "Know Your Enemy" the first single from Green Day's upcoming album "21st Century Breakdown"

BruceSkywalker

Quincy

Slay
That, and the fact that a band has matured doesn't always make for better music.

Mr Shindiggery
Heard 21st Century Breakdown and Do You Know Your Enemy of the album so far and all I can say is I can`t wait till this album comes out.

RedAlertv2
I thought Know Your Enemy was really boring

~Wålshy~
Tomorrow a couple of sites (VH1 and Rhapsody) will be streaming the whole album online.

There's 6 new songs from the album on greenday.com too!

SnakeEyes
I expect this album to have excellent production quality, I just hope the content is the same way. Wasn't too impressed with "Know Your Enemy."

The Grey Fox
I downloaded the album just over an hour ago and am listening to it now. Currently on track 11. It's actually quite impressive, there are some great catchy songs on here. So far "East Jesus Nowhere", "Peacemaker" and "Last Of The American Girls" have been the highlights.

As a rock opera, it's far better than American Idiot. It's length allows it to go further with it's story.

The only disappointment for me is that it doesn't have any 'epic' 9 minute songs like AI had. But I can live with that if the rest of album is as impressive as the sum of it I've heard so far.

Scythe
I've listened to almost all of the album, it's neat, I guess.

The Grey Fox
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like first third of it doesn't have enough to it or something. Perhaps it'll grow on me over time, like American Idiot did. I still think the second "act" is pretty awesome, though.

Scythe
Originally posted by The Grey Fox
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like first third of it doesn't have enough to it or something. Perhaps it'll grow on me over time, like American Idiot did. I still think the second "act" is pretty awesome, though.

I'm still undecided with it. I'm a little bias when it comes to bands making albums with a political edge to their songs. Even though my hypocritical ears listen to Rage Against The Machine on a daily basis. I just grew tired of political messages in songs. Even though I know it sells, big time. It's an enjoyable album, it doesn't suck or anything, but I grow weary of the same gist of American Idiot. I want Green Day songs to be about good time fun, and stray away from politics. Like fun time, sorta like Basket Case/Brain Stew, and so on. It sucked balls when I listened to Slipknot's new album and realized there was political garbage thrown in there, and that made me dislike their newest album. There are some bands that just HAVE to be political, RATM again, for instance cannot be seen as anything but a political geared band.

So that's why I enjoyed this album, but at the same time didn't. I might buy just a few tracks off of Amazon, and be happy with that.

The Grey Fox
I can understand that. I'd have loved to have heard some more lighthearted stuff in 21CB myself, I'm sure they could have somehow worked it in without ruining their image of what they wanted for it. I guess since I haven't totally absorbed the lyrics yet, I haven't been able to tell how political/socially critical it is yet, but there are some really obviously political ones, like "21 Guns". I mean, it's an alright song, but we have something similar in "Wake Me Up When September" on their last album (I know that song's about Billie Joe's dad, but the music video changed that).

Maybe because Billie's older he finds it hard to write lighthearted stuff these days, but I'm sure he could if he wanted. And if he did and recorded/released them, I think a lot of people would be much happier with them as a band.

Scythe
I can understand that. I'd have loved to have heard some more lighthearted stuff in 21CB myself, I'm sure they could have somehow worked it in without ruining their image of what they wanted for it. I guess since I haven't totally absorbed the lyrics yet, I haven't been able to tell how political/socially critical it is yet, but there are some really obviously political ones, like "21 Guns". I mean, it's an alright song, but we have something similar in "Wake Me Up When September" on their last album (I know that song's about Billie Joe's dad, but the music video changed that).

Maybe because Billie's older he finds it hard to write lighthearted stuff these days, but I'm sure he could if he wanted. And if he did and recorded/released them, I think a lot of people would be much happier with them as a band.

That's true. I also like to speculate that it's what's selling nowadays. I've checked out so many newly released albums from several other bands that I liked and they're all sharing that in common. I'm even beginning to see a rise in politics within the hip-hop/rap genre. That stuff is cool, really cool, it's what's in, but it's not for all.

SnakeEyes
This album's alright. I listened to it once all the way through. To be honest, I just don't think Green Day (or rather, Billie Joe) is that good at writing political songs and that's mainly what I had a problem with. As I expected, production quality was great, the album sounds good in that regard. Some of the songs are catchy (Murder City, 21st Century Breakdown, Peacemaker) but others I find kind of annoying (21 Guns, the intro for Viva La Gloria). Sometimes, it's just plain weird to accept the notion that Green Day is trying to orient themselves more toward political rock opera, with BJ singing falsetto every other track.

Anyway, I'm kind of lukewarm about this CD. I'm curious to see if this album attracts a billion teenagers and repels a billion old fans like American Idiot did.

Also, American Idiot's a better album imo.

MildPossession
More memorable songs on American Idiot, there are one or two stand out tracks on the new album, but not spending money on the album. Saved about £7...

Pandemoniac
I love these guys, but the singles I've heard of the new album didn't tickle me at all. Have yet to give the whole album a good listen but as for now I hope they snap out of this politics criticising opera style.
American Idiot was clever and good on my ears, but a change in content towards a more positive view backed up with the more up-tempo music they're much better at would be welcome

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
I love these guys, but the singles I've heard of the new album didn't tickle me at all. Have yet to give the whole album a good listen but as for now I hope they snap out of this politics criticising opera style.
American Idiot was clever and good on my ears, but a change in content towards a more positive view backed up with the more up-tempo music they're much better at would be welcome Trust me, the singles they've released so far are debatably two of the weakest tracks on the whole album (Like AI, in my opinion), the best tracks on it I think are the ones they probably won't release as singles since they aren't 'commercial' enough, really. But I definitely wouldn't judge the album just after hearing Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns.

el_barto
Bad album is bad.

The Grey Fox
In the 4chan lingo that you seem to enjoy, "your opinion is opinion."

Pandemoniac
Trust me, the singles they've released so far are debatably two of the weakest tracks on the whole album (Like AI, in my opinion), the best tracks on it I think are the ones they probably won't release as singles since they aren't 'commercial' enough, really. But I definitely wouldn't judge the album just after hearing Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns.

Good to know, thanks for the advise. I'll give the whole thing a listen soon

jinXed by JaNx
I really don't like this album to much. I'm not going to bash it though because it is good for what it is and, maybe, with time i'll come to appreciate it more. It's just hard to listen to 21st century breakdown for very long. I feel exhausted after a couple songs. I kind of had that problem with, American idiot as well. Where as all of their other albums i could listen to twice in a row without feeling the passing of time. I'm glad the band is doing new things and even though i don't like 21st century breakdown to much they still put on one of the best live shows i've ever seen. I saw them last week and damn, it was so good to see them again. Warning is the last Greenday album that i loved from beginning to end.

Myth
This is the first Green Day album that I couldn't listen to it straight through in one sitting. Very disappointing. I am a huge fan of their old stuff, and still liked AI, but this just did not do it for me and seemed like a poorer version of AI.

Amusei
i thought the album was ok. but it wasnt anything amazing. some of the tracks were very good but overall it was kind of bland and uninspired, like a punk attempt at coldplay lol. hopefully their next album will be better, i have some hope because i'm al old fan of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.