Green Lantern(Hal) vs Thor...CBR style

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthgoober
No Red Ring for Hal, no Odin Force for Thor, both characters are in CBR mode.

Powerset vs Powerset in the Khazan Arena.

Who wins?

Batman-Prime
50%-50% IMHO

guy222
Best thing on CBR was emails sent to Andy Schmidt

Lord Feron
CBR mode?

Starscream M
are you assuming people know what CBR mode is?

Kris Blaze
Thor.

Though they could theoretically do anything, Thor's hammer is powered by something that in my opinion, far exceeds Hal's willpower.

Lord Feron
CASH BACK RETURN?

Slaanesh
the only CBR that i know of is a file extension..usually when u download a comic book..it's in that format..

Naija boy
In CBR style fight, thor would win. Hed be throwing durok droppers,antiforce blasts and Godblasts all over the place.

Mrblonde
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Thor.

Though they could theoretically do anything, Thor's hammer is powered by something that in my opinion, far exceeds Hal's willpower.

Agreed

quanchi112
Originally posted by Naija boy
In CBR style fight, thor would win. Hed be throwing durok droppers,antiforce blasts and Godblasts all over the place. Yep.

Bouboumaster
WTH is CBR?

Kris Blaze
In CBR style fight, thor would win. Hed be throwing durok droppers,antiforce blasts and Godblasts all over the place.

Thor normally does fire antiforce blasts all over the place.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Lord Feron
CBR mode?
Originally posted by Slaanesh
the only CBR that i know of is a file extension..usually when u download a comic book..it's in that format..
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
WTH is CBR?
CBR Mode puts more emphasis on winning the match than staying in character. Supes blitzes at Max Power 10/10 and doesn't care whether or not his opponents die as a result, Surfer turns his opponents into toasters or decapitates them with his board by bullrushing at 1000x lightspeed, etc.

Nihilist
is CBR mod the same as great galen mode?

darthgoober
Originally posted by Nihilist
is CBR mod the same as great galen mode?
Kinda. But it applies to EVERYONE, not just Supes. It's basically what you or I would do if we had the character's powers and wanted the fight to be over in a single panel rather than what they'd do with them in a comic.

Vally Doosh
Originally posted by darthgoober
Kinda. But it applies to EVERYONE, not just Supes. It's basically what you or I would do if we had the character's powers and wanted the fight to be over in a single panel rather than what they'd do with them in a comic.
So basically, KMC style.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Vally Doosh
So basically, KMC style.
That's the way it's technically supposed to be here(our rules are virtually identical to CBR's) but in our execution most seem to favor what we've seen them do in print over what "makes sense".

Avlon
Originally posted by Vally Doosh
So basically, KMC style.

Pretty much.

Omniverse on the dome ftw.

Lord Feron

Thanks Needed that to be clarified. Thor ftw!

Bouboumaster
Thor wtf

OneDumbG0
Thor.

Though they could theoretically do anything, Thor's hammer is powered by something that in my opinion, far exceeds Hal's willpower. QFT.

Thor.

Starscream M
given the way goober framed it, as in putting ourselves into the shoes of these characters, I would say if I had the mastery over the ring as well as Hal did...Hal would win

I would instantly create 1000 identical copies of me at the start of battle...in under one second

as Thor starts blasting away futilely, I visualize a forcefield inside Thor's head...3- 5 seconds

I then expand that field with all my willpower...Thor dies

darthgoober
Originally posted by Starscream M
given the way goober framed it, as in putting ourselves into the shoes of these characters, I would say if I had the mastery over the ring as well as Hal did...Hal would win

I would instantly create 1000 identical copies of me at the start of battle...in under one second

as Thor starts blasting away futilely, I visualize a forcefield inside Thor's head...3- 5 seconds

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be doing all of that under these conditions, Thor has super speed that he'd actually be using so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to interrupt your efforts. Of course "auto shields" would be 100% functional under CBR format so it'd save Hal from dying in the first second, but I don't think he could muster the concentration necessary to pull off the kind of stuff you're suggesting.

Naija boy

Is hal that fast? I mean i know that he can create a thousand copies of himself or whatever but in one second? Also does he have the ability to create constructs inside other people?

Philosophía
They should just make a Green Lantern based on masterbruce.

Starscream M
I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be doing all of that under these conditions, Thor has super speed that he'd actually be using so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to interrupt your efforts. Of course "auto shields" would be 100% functional under CBR format so it'd save Hal from dying in the first second, but I don't think he could muster the concentration necessary to pull off the kind of stuff you're suggesting. thor's speed is the last thing I'd worry about...thor's speed should not be an issue for hal

and assuming I can't create the 1000 clones...

whatever, I'd engage Thor in a fight....with my shields on and throwing constructs around and avoiding his blasts...all I need to do is visualize a bubble in his head, and he's dead. That requires virtually no effort.

Bentley
A not holding back Thor would tear through you pretty fast, it wouldn't leave an opening to play fancy and he would try to close the gap with you and downright absorb the ring's energy. It has been affected by magnetism so I don't think you would do better than Hal with it.

Time stop would be a better choice assuming you can actually pull it off.

DarkOdin
Thor just drains all the energy out of the ring or anything Hal makes and then back hands Hal. Then Thor goes to the bar for a beer.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Bentley
A not holding back Thor would tear through you pretty fast, it wouldn't leave an opening to play fancy and he would try to close the gap with you and downright absorb the ring's energy. It has been affected by magnetism so I don't think you would do better than Hal with it.

Time stop would be a better choice assuming you can actually pull it off. I would need to visualize a bubble...that takes no effort or time.

I could kill Thor before he looks at me.

darthgoober
thor's speed is the last thing I'd worry about...thor's speed should not be an issue for hal

and assuming I can't create the 1000 clones...

whatever, I'd engage Thor in a fight....with my shields on and throwing constructs around and avoiding his blasts...all I need to do is visualize a bubble in his head, and he's dead. That requires virtually no effort.
Hal has "human level" reflexes/thought process so ANY level of actual super speed is an issue for him since Thor's fist attack would rock him before Hal could finish completing his first thought. And make no mistake, Thor DOES have super speed...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/Journey_in_to_mystery125-14-2.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9057/avengers09814jk8.th.jpg

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3656/thorspeed014aw.jpg

Now like I said, Hal's auto shields would likely save him from an actual blitz, but getting knocked around the battlefield will make it difficult to preform complex task that require a lot of concentration.

Starscream M
Hal has "human level" reflexes/thought process so ANY level of actual super speed is an issue for him since Thor's fist attack would rock him before Hal could finish completing his first thought. And make no mistake, Thor DOES have super speed...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/Journey_in_to_mystery125-14-2.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9057/avengers09814jk8.th.jpg

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3656/thorspeed014aw.jpg

Now like I said, Hal's auto shields would likely save him from an actual blitz, but getting knocked around the battlefield will make it difficult to preform complex task that require a lot of concentration. how does visualizing a bubble require a lot of concentration?

and thor cannot attack faster than Hal's speed of thought

Bentley
how does visualizing a bubble require a lot of concentration?

Yes he can. And if he also moves visualization would be even harder. Or worse, the energy from the construct would be absorbed before it even reaches Thor.

darthgoober
I was still talking about your duplication strategy. I could tell you didn't agree with me so I was expanding on my argument.

Thor has super speed so he thinks/moves faster and his hammer can fire off light speed attacks or be thrown at multiples of light speed. He can/will land his first attack before Hal finishes his first thought.

OneDumbG0

and thor cannot attack faster than Hal's speed of thought When GLs create constructs, the constructs have to emanate from their ring. I've not seen them create a plasma construct from inside somebody or a ship or anything. So unless you have proof to the contrary, an instantaneous bubble inside Thor's head would not be viable.

Funny, Thor has defended against Phoenix's telepathic blast.

Mindset

Philosophía
I've actually seen somebody claim Thor will speedblitz.

I will cry myself to sleep now, after logging off from the forum.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Bentley
A not holding back Thor would tear through you pretty fast, it wouldn't leave an opening to play fancy and he would try to close the gap with you and downright absorb the ring's energy. It has been affected by magnetism so I don't think you would do better than Hal with it. I don't recall GLs being affected by magnetism.

Starscream M
I was still talking about your duplication strategy. I could tell you didn't agree with me so I was expanding on my argument.

Thor has super speed so he thinks/moves faster and his hammer can fire off light speed attacks or be thrown at multiples of light speed. He can/will land his first attack before Hal finishes his first thought. well, I've said that I don't need the duplication strategy...that was just icing

all I have to do is visualize a bubble in thor's head...and I win.

unless Hal is incapable of that simple feat, Hal wins.

Bentley
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
I don't recall GLs being affected by magnetism.

Dr. Polaris.

Newjak
Or if we're arguing powersets.

Thor simply turns of Hal's brain by shutting down the electrical impulses in his brain no expression

Philosophía
You mean like Magneto ?

smile

Starscream M
Originally posted by Newjak
Or if we're arguing powersets.

Thor simply turns of Hal's brain by shutting down the electrical impulses in his brain no expression he can do that faster than Hal can visualize a bubble? I doubt it

in fact, how would Thor shut down hal's electrical impulses in the brain?

darthgoober

Starscream M
He's going to have to be defensive in the opening seconds and do things like raise more powerful force fields and teleport around if he actually wants to win. how long do you think it takes someone of Hal's skill level to visualize a bubble?

Newjak
he can do that faster than Hal can visualize a bubble? I doubt it

in fact, how would Thor shut down hal's electrical impulses in the brain? Much like Superman Blue did to Kyle.

Thor has already shown the ability to disrupt electrical current in machines. THe human brain is no different.

And you're pretty sold on this bubble idea considering that that Thor's brain is still very solid and durable. So I'm betting Thor's brain holds out better then Hal's does.

If Hal can even visualize a bubble inside someone's brain that is.

Kris Blaze

darthgoober
how long do you think it takes someone of Hal's skill level to visualize a bubble?
I don't know for sure, I've never seen anything like it. But I know that Thor has super speed so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to visualize a mystic lightning bolt that jars Hal's senses before Hal visualizes the bubble. I'm not discounting your bubble strategy either because it's an entirely viable option, I just don't think Hal could pull it off in the opening seconds against Thor. I think he'd have to play defense at first to live long enough to pull it off.

Naija boy
If thor starts off the fight with a durok like attack i doubt hals auto shields will be able to put up much resistance

Starscream M

And you're pretty sold on this bubble idea considering that that Thor's brain is still very solid and durable. So I'm betting Thor's brain holds out better then Hal's does.

If Hal can even visualize a bubble inside someone's brain that is. well, given the scenario...we're really debating powersets, not characters.

I think my bubble in brain idea is a very easy manuever for any toplevel GL, and Hal is the creme of the creme.

I mean, is there any reason why Hal couldn't put a bubble in Thor's brain within the first seconds of battle?

darthgoober
well, given the scenario...we're really debating powersets, not characters.

I think my bubble in brain idea is a very easy manuever for any toplevel GL, and Hal is the creme of the creme.

I mean, is there any reason why Hal couldn't put a bubble in Thor's brain within the first seconds of battle?
Yeah... speedblitz. Damn it feels weird pitching that for Thor...

OneDumbG0
well, I've said that I don't need the duplication strategy...that was just icing

all I have to do is visualize a bubble in thor's head...and I win.

unless Hal is incapable of that simple feat, Hal wins. Hal never duplicated thousands of himself. When amped by the Sentinels of magic he recreated the GL Corps to fight Asmodel-possessed Spectre, and as Hallax, he recreated Coast City citizens to destroy Henshaw. He's never done anything like you suggest. It isn't icing, so to speak.

Like I said, I'm very confident he is incapable of that "simple feat" of opening a bubble inside a person. I've never seen it done. You wonder why GL's would spend all that time shooting beams at each other and missing if they could just open up bubbles in their enemies. GL rings don't work that way.

Naija boy

Starscream M
another trick I would do as Hal,

at the start of battle, instantly create a lightconstruct blindfold around Thor's eyes

Thor would be helpless, as there is no way to remove that...I could then do whatevers needed to KO thor

Newjak

I'm not arguing characters.

I'm arguing powersets.

I said even if you believe Hal can put a bubble inside someone's head Thor still has a lot tougher cranium then most.

Thor also has quicker reaction times then Hal.

So what prevents me from frying Hal's brain before you could even think to put a bubble in Thor's.

Naija boy
another trick I would do as Hal,

at the start of battle, instantly create a lightconstruct blindfold around Thor's eyes

Thor would be helpless, as there is no way to remove that...I could then do whatevers needed to KO thor

A what?

Newjak
A what? Basically put a green blind fold around thor's eyes.

Naija boy
Basically put a green blind fold around thor's eyes.

Oh and for some reason thor will be unable to simply rip it off?

Newjak
Oh and for some reason thor will be unable to simply rip it off? He thinks the fact that it would be a construct made by Hal's ring would make it too durable for Thor to simply do that.

Naija boy
He thinks the fact that it would be a construct made by Hal's ring would make it too durable for Thor to simply do that.

Pffft. Thor rips it off and godblasts hal to ashes. (that is if he isnt already ashes from the durok blast he would hve received earlier.)

Mindship
CBR Mode puts more emphasis on winning the match than staying in character. Supes blitzes at Max Power 10/10 and doesn't care whether or not his opponents die as a result, Surfer turns his opponents into toasters or decapitates them with his board by bullrushing at 1000x lightspeed, etc. What does "CBR" actually stand for?

darthgoober
Originally posted by Mindship
What does "CBR" actually stand for?
Comic Book Resources. It's another forum.

Mindset
The best forum in the world

Starscream M
He thinks the fact that it would be a construct made by Hal's ring would make it too durable for Thor to simply do that. no, it's not like cloth that you can grab on, Hal can make the blindfolds so thin thor can't rip it off

Mindset
?

Starscream M
Originally posted by Mindset
? I said, Hal could just blind Thor by placing a thing fitted band of opaque light around Thor's eyes

newjack said thor could just rip it off

and I replied no he can't, it would be a razor thin band around his eyes that his fingers can't even grab.

DarkOdin
I said, Hal could just blind Thor by placing a thing fitted band of opaque light around Thor's eyes

newjack said thor could just rip it off

and I replied no he can't, it would be a razor thin band around his eyes that his fingers can't even grab.

Thor could just as easy absorb the energy of the blind fold. The ring will run out of energy Mjolnir will not. Anything Hal makes or fires at Thor Mjolnir can absorb

TricksterPriest
Absorbing GL rings isn't that easy. Willpower and having the right tech or powerset plays into it.

Do I think the hammer can do it? Yes, if Hal is dumb enough to just blast at him repeatedly.

The ring is far more versatile than the hammer. So.....ZA WARUDO. Time stop ftw. dur One of the things Thor CAN'T defend against.

DarkOdin
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Absorbing GL rings isn't that easy. Willpower and having the right tech or powerset plays into it.

Do I think the hammer can do it? Yes, if Hal is dumb enough to just blast at him repeatedly.

The ring is far more versatile than the hammer. So.....ZA WARUDO. Time stop ftw. dur One of the things Thor CAN'T defend against.

actually Thor could stop time with mjolnir"avenger#3 and it used to be able to tiem travel but that enchantment is gone.

Mjolnir> Then the ring

Kris Blaze

Read some Thor comics noob.

Mindset
Read some Thor comics noob. He read the respect thread noob

Avlon
Thor has a more potent attack in the godblast.

However, Hal could simply bfr him without his hammer with a thought. Like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/101bed38.jpg

As for superspeed...here is Hal keeping up with Flash on foot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/2d445df5.jpg

Or Hal could simply stop time.

Battlehammer
CBR the forum? If so then we most go with the more popular chooses who defies logic

OneDumbG0

The ring is far more versatile than the hammer. So.....ZA WARUDO. Time stop ftw. dur One of the things Thor CAN'T defend against. Hal didn't do anything but have his spirit speak to a couple of dead people when he stopped time. Heck of a lot of good that will do in an actual battle. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Originally posted by Avlon
Thor has a more potent attack in the godblast.

However, Hal could simply bfr him without his hammer with a thought. Like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/101bed38.jpg

As for superspeed...here is Hal keeping up with Flash on foot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/2d445df5.jpg

Or Hal could simply stop time. There's no BFR scan there. Both of those are Hal "supposedly" keeping up with Barry Allen. As for how fast they're actually going, it's anybody's guess. If you think merely keeping up with a speedster, without being able to discern how fast they're actually going is proof that a character can both think and fight at superspeeds, then Thor's got the feats as well. In fact here, he punks a speedster. Hermes is capable of going at superspeed and matching Makkari. Thor punks him when he's bloodlusted:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/th_Hermes01.jpg http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/th_Hermes02.jpg

Oops.

And as I said, stopping time so your ring can allow your spirit to find worthy replacements isn't exactly a useful thing during battle. And that's exactly what happened when Hal stopped time with his ring.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
The best forum in the world Cbr is by far the worst board I have been to with regards to comics. Sadly, it gets the most traffic.

Avlon
Hal didn't do anything but have his spirit speak to a couple of dead people when he stopped time. Heck of a lot of good that will do in an actual battle. roll eyes (sarcastic)
There's no BFR scan there. Both of those are Hal "supposedly" keeping up with Barry Allen. As for how fast they're actually going, it's anybody's guess. If you think merely keeping up with a speedster, without being able to discern how fast they're actually going is proof that a character can both think and fight at superspeeds, then Thor's got the feats as well. In fact here, he punks a speedster. Hermes is capable of going at superspeed and matching Makkari. Thor punks him when he's bloodlusted:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/th_Hermes01.jpg http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/th_Hermes02.jpg

Actually, he teleports Barry over to him in that scan.
And he stopped/slowed time for a planet/solar system.
As for punking speedsters, it's done all the time, you just proved Thor is as fast as Captain Cold.. but running behind the flash while having a convo and keeping up? You typically only see other speedsters do that.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Avlon
Actually, he teleports Barry over to him in that scan.
And he stopped/slowed time for a planet/solar system.
As for punking speedsters, it's done all the time, you just proved Thor is as fast as Captain Cold.. but running behind the flash while having a convo and keeping up? You typically only see other speedsters do that. He froze the aliens in suspension in a 1000+ mile radius of the planet so he could affect the aliens in the ships in orbit. That also happened pre-Crisis. No, I proved that Thor could dodge and punk Hermes, who is a speedster by every definition of the word. But we can't tell how fast Thor had to be in order to dodge or snatch Hermes by the collar because there's no measurable way to tell exactly how fast Hermes is going. That premise is exactly why your scan of Hal keeping up with Barry is meaningless. He could be going at the speed of sound for all we know. For you to suggest that he's keeping up with Barry move-for-move at superspeeds is pure speculation. Now that you mention hi conversing with Barry, to my knowledge, Hal has never shown the capacity to super-speed talk or super-speed think and thus, his conversation with Barry suggests that they are not matching each other move-for-move at superspeeds.

Are they going fast? Undoubetdly. At speeds that would make them seem like blurs to normal people? Possible. At speeds that Thor wouldn't be able to handle? Not probable. At all.

Starscream M
He froze the aliens in suspension in a 1000+ mile radius of the planet so he could affect the aliens in the ships in orbit. That also happened pre-Crisis. No, I proved that Thor could dodge and punk Hermes, who is a speedster by every definition of the word. But we can't tell how fast Thor had to be in order to dodge or snatch Hermes by the collar because there's no measurable way to tell exactly how fast Hermes is going. That premise is exactly why your scan of Hal keeping up with Barry is meaningless. He could be going at the speed of sound for all we know. For you to suggest that he's keeping up with Barry move-for-move at superspeeds is pure speculation. Now that you mention hi conversing with Barry, to my knowledge, Hal has never shown the capacity to super-speed talk or super-speed think and thus, his conversation with Barry suggests that they are not matching each other move-for-move at superspeeds.

Are they going fast? Undoubetdly. At speeds that would make them seem like blurs to normal people? Possible. At speeds that Thor wouldn't be able to handle? Not probable. At all. show me a scan of thor moving at speed of sound

OneDumbG0
show me a scan of thor moving at speed of sound Moving his limbs at faster than sound speeds? Plenty of scans have been shown, but I do not have them on my work computer. One that comes to mind, is his raising his arms to block Phoenix's telepathic blast after it had already been fired:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=9433277

Silent Master
How about when Thor threw that Alien out of the solar system

Starscream M
Originally posted by Silent Master
How about when Thor threw that Alien out of the solar system how bout it...how is that a speed feat?

Tenebrous
Originally posted by guy222
Best thing on CBR was emails sent to Andy Schmidt

Yep. I told him how much I appreciated Annihilation when everything else has been crap for the past 10 years till that point, and he sent me a pm saying he would print out my email and distribute it to the creative team and his staff (I worded it quite differently, but the gist was the same).

Guy I vaguely remember you being banned as a result of having a discussion in a hulk vs. thread there stick out tongue

starlock
Thor for the win

Silent Master
how bout it...how is that a speed feat?

Let's think about that, how fast does a baseball player's arm have to move in order to throw a 99mph fastball?

Tenebrous
^^That is an awesome sig starlock. Can you make me one as well haha Happy Dance

quanchi112
Originally posted by Tenebrous
Yep. I told him how much I appreciated Annihilation when everything else has been crap for the past 10 years till that point, and he sent me a pm saying he would print out my email and distribute it to the creative team and his staff (I worded it quite differently, but the gist was the same).

Guy I vaguely remember you being banned as a result of having a discussion in a hulk vs. thread there stick out tongue Guy was banned.

eek! eek! confused sad

Those sons of -------!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.