Movie Critics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prabhodh
For those of you who do read movie criticism, who is your favorite critic?

Roger Ebert for me.

Sadako of Girth
Dr. Mark Kermode
Not one to suffer a movie that insults the intelligence of the viewer gladly.

His documented 10 minute rants on Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 are worthy of respect alone.

Scythe
I read film reviews when I'm in trying to get the gist of a film. Often times I have no goddamn clue what a movie is about. Like Wall-E for instance, the trailers and previews looked like a long toy commercial, so I read a few reviews and heard there was substantial story behind it, still haven't watched it though, seemed uninteresting to me.

However, film critics... I despise them, most sound like their opinions are suppose to matter to everyone, and yes, some do listen to them. I rather experience and form my own opinion, than listen to another's.

I often like hearing how a movie was from a friend's perspective, it makes it fun to talk about a movie amongst friends or family and then form an opinion based on their words, I prefer that over a movie critic.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Dr. Mark Kermode

His documented 10 minute rants on Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 are worthy of respect alone.

I agree...

And Roger Ebert's a jackass.

MildPossession
I like Kermode when it comes to the field of Horror, I can't think of any names as I don't have any favourites, I do like reviews of films in magazines like Sight & Sound though.

jaden101
I hate Kermode with a passion. The man is everything i hate in a human being. Ironically though, I agree with his taste in films for the most part. It's just that him and his Newsnight review cronies come across at snobs of the highest order.

Sadako of Girth
Oh I agree that the guy is definitely seeming a bit "luvvies/darlings".

You might find it hard to hang with the guy for a week, but his reviews are largely spot on, like you say.

Dr Will Hatch
James Agee, he was great in his day.

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Scythe
I read film reviews when I'm in trying to get the gist of a film. Often times I have no goddamn clue what a movie is about. Like Wall-E for instance, the trailers and previews looked like a long toy commercial, so I read a few reviews and heard there was substantial story behind it, still haven't watched it though, seemed uninteresting to me.

However, film critics... I despise them, most sound like their opinions are suppose to matter to everyone, and yes, some do listen to them. I rather experience and form my own opinion, than listen to another's.

I often like hearing how a movie was from a friend's perspective, it makes it fun to talk about a movie amongst friends or family and then form an opinion based on their words, I prefer that over a movie critic.

Fair enough. I usually read them when I know that my friends (some of them) won't like them, like 'burn after reading' for example, none of the people I watched it liked it--apart from me.

When you do read them, whose to do read?
Dr. Mark Kermode

I will check him out. smile

Originally posted by Kovacs86
I agree...

And Roger Ebert's a jackass.

No, he isn't.

Sadako of Girth
Cool.....

Heres a pirates rant for yas....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q5FESHol0

Impediment
I rarely listen to movie critics, since 99% of them are biased idiots.

Occasionally, Harry Knowles, from aintitcoolnews, makes an ounce of sense. Even still, he's nothing special.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Prabhodh
No, he isn't.

Yeah... he is... stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
Out of curiousity, I go to rottentomatoes for a consensus, most of the time if a movie sucks, it will be reflected accurately by their percentages (or if it's amazingly good) Sometimes, however, films I love will get bad reviews, etc. so I never rely solely on reviews. Also, I frequent slashfilm and listen to their weekly podcast, which is very entertaining and fairly agreeable.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Impediment

Occasionally, Harry Knowles, from aintitcoolnews, makes an ounce of sense. Even still, he's nothing special.

I generally agree, but I find myself in agreement with Kermode more than most of said biased idiots.

BruceSkywalker

Agreed

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Yeah... he is... stick out tongue

haha, umm, of course they are all biased and I don't agree with everything that Ebert says(he gave fightclub, clockwork orange and full metal jacket bad reviews), but when we end up agreeing with something, he's brilliant.

Cool.....

Heres a pirates rant for yas....

laughing

Scythe
Originally posted by Prabhodh
Fair enough. I usually read them when I know that my friends (some of them) won't like them, like 'burn after reading' for example, none of the people I watched it liked it--apart from me.

When you do read them, whose to do read?

I will check him out. smile

No, he isn't.

The newspaper that is local around where I live, has a movies column that even I used to work for writing film reviews. They still do a good job of reviewing films without spoiling much, and not drilling into gossip. I read them when I don't know what a movie is about, and them watch the film myself.

darthmaul1
Hello does anyone else hate those 2 critics that replaced ebert and roeper, and are on the show on sundays "at the movies"
They suck, they both said see quantum of solice, and then they pan it for being boring and slow and the action sequences are too close. to me that says skip it.
the 26 year old says to see terminator salvation (fine)
and then the 43 year old says to skip it cause it wasn't made like star trek for everyone to try and get into it and they are using references to the terminator movies that came out in 1984 and 1991 well duh it is a sequal.
They really grind my gears.

Dr Will Hatch

Occasionally, Harry Knowles, from aintitcoolnews, makes an ounce of sense. Even still, he's nothing special. Well, opinion by its very nature is subjective.

jamesjack
Originally posted by Keith Talent
For those of you who do read movie criticism, who is your favorite critic?

Roger Ebert for me.
Yeah I too agree with you, roger Ebert is the best critic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.