Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scythe
The series goes back to its early roots be releasing this remake of an NES title. Tells the story of main character Marth. Looks very decent and old-fashioned, just the way I like it.

Here's the Japanese trailer

o-8V4kfV4R0

Here's a helpful vid that gives a little more detail of the game.

PBtJ-_17e04

Hope it's quite good. Discuss.

Icy Ninja
Love the Fire Emblem games the one on GameCube is one of my favorite games, gonna have to get this one

Wei Phoenix
I thought I'd never say this seeing as I hate him so much, but I kinda hope they continue Ike's story in the future.

Ushgarak
Fire Emblem games have a massive gameplay flaw with the permanent loss of units when they are killed- it cripples the strategy of the game entitrely

Icy Ninja
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Fire Emblem games have a massive gameplay flaw with the permanent loss of units when they are killed- it cripples the strategy of the game entitrely
I like that about the games, it makes me think more about strategy like where can I put my healer so it doesn't die things like that. Though most of the time if one of my better units die i usually restart the battle it also creates a sense that all the character matter in some way and you can create emotional attachment to the characters

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Icy Ninja
I like that about the games, it makes me think more about strategy like where can I put my healer so it doesn't die things like that. Though most of the time if one of my better units die i usually restart the battle it also creates a sense that all the character matter in some way and you can create emotional attachment to the characters

I agree. I don't see that as a flaw but as a nice touch of realism and strategy. It makes you think more ahead instead of just throwing in a random character with little regard of their life seeing as they'll just come back. In all of the games I played they were fighting a war and the enemy was out to kill so your units just being wounded wouldn't make sense. As Ninja just said, I just restart when someone dies especially if I love them.

Which games did you play Ninja?

Scythe

That adds realism to the game, and strategy imo.

Yoshi Paradise
I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but this one looks good.

k1Lla441
completely agree. i saw my friend playing a fire emlem game once, as i have never played one, and he told me that if his guy died he would have to turn his system off. i asked why, and he said because his guy would be lost forever, and i looked at him like he was crazy. To me it just seems retarted, to actually lose a guy that you probably took a lot of time to level up and he just goes away.

Scythe
Originally posted by k1Lla441
completely agree. i saw my friend playing a fire emlem game once, as i have never played one, and he told me that if his guy died he would have to turn his system off. i asked why, and he said because his guy would be lost forever, and i looked at him like he was crazy. To me it just seems retarted, to actually lose a guy that you probably took a lot of time to level up and he just goes away.

Yeah, this logic has always made Fire Emblem a love it/hate it sort of game. It's either a turn on or a turn off to some gamers, that's pretty funny imo.

Still, I'm looking forward to this. The online capabilities seem to be awesome.

Ushgarak
Everyone who thinks it makes it more strategic is, I am afraid, simply wrong, and this is an area where I do not think all opinions are even.

It makes the game worse as:

1. As noted above, it simply encourages people to restart the game as soon as they lose a unit. People saying "oh it is ok because I just restart" but somehow have not noticed this as a massive flaw in a strat game where you have to restart a battle because you took one damn casualty worry me.

2. It does NOT encourage strategy. Instead it encourages the complete opposite. Strategy implies risk, losses, tactics where the idea iof total 100% victory is stupid. Those of you who for some reaosn think that the system by which losses are permanent implies realism- always a stupid concept in a fantasy computer game0- should think on that.

Because there are several units- often the Mage types that die incredibly easily- that you simply cannot do without and will not be able to complete the camapign if you lose them,. then indeed losing that unit causes a re-load. And that in turn means that your opponents are playing a completely different game to you. YOU are playing to win the battle. But all they have to do is kill one unit to win.

Just to make it worse, the computer AI actively takes advantage of this. He will suicide run his fast units right past your dopey guys, through your lines your lines (there seems to be no interference rule to prevent units moving past other ones, like most decent strat games have) and kill your Mages. Now, strategically speaking the computer has boned himself- you can easily destroy his over-extended forces.

But it doesn't matter, does it? He's killed the guy you need, so even though he has just thrown the battle away, you still have to re-load. It's a complete mockery of the idea of strategy and tactics.

In the end, you are forced to play one way only- extremely cautiously and defensively, every single time. One tiny slip up in your defence and the computer will make one of thise ridiculous suicide runs. It allows no variety. Adds strategy? You have to be freaking joking. These games allow almost no strategical variation at all.

They would be MASSIVELY improved by allowing downed units to return after the battle so that you didn't have to win every single battle 100% with no losses each time. It's an absolutely appalling gameplay decision that needs to be ridiculed and derided as much as possible, and it ruins what otherwise could be a good series.

Game ruiner- an absolute game ruiner. It's the kind of thing that makes me despair. People thinking it adds realism make me despair still more.

Scythe
There's hardly any reason to complain about the people who enjoy this game, one this is complaining about the game, the other is it's fans. Geez.

Regardless, it's simply something Fire Emblem fans are used to by now, and those who aren't so fond of the combat system are gonna have to deal with.

I usually play this game and let the casualties settle in. Restarting is for jackasses. I've beaten every Fire Emblem I've played like this, and I've had no problem with losing a mage or whatnot.

Icy Ninja
It really depends on the unit that I lose for me to restart the game. I will restart if I lose one unit when I don't have another of that class or if I lose one of my favorite characters.

I prefer this kind of strategy game where you only have a limited amount of units over the ones that are oh no I lost half a squad lets go build some more but that of course is my personal opinion.

Wei Phoenix
I only restart when I lose a character I really like, like in sacred Stones that included Duessel, Garcia, Ross and some others. I could care less about the mages though, they weren't necessary to winning a map. Anyone else who played the GBA games would know that a berserker is arguabaly the best unit and a Berserker Ross was real good. Also a Warrior Garcia with the sacred bow could do some massive damage.

Icy Ninja
I want the GBA ones so bad but can't find them around, I've only played the GameCube one and the one for Wii

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Icy Ninja
I want the GBA ones so bad but can't find them around, I've only played the GameCube one and the one for Wii

Well they are different from the console ones. A GBA Assassin is way better than the Gcube and Wii Assassin. If you want to focus on the story then get the first GBA FE game. You'll love Hector. If you want better gameplay then get Sacred Stones. Both are good though imo.

Scythe
Just got this game, it's quite engaging. Finding out Marth's past is pretty awesome. I love the save midgame feature.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.