The Expendables (2010)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
New film written and directed by Sylvester Stallone

LoneUnknown
That cast looks pretty good! yes I am actually really excited about this movie. If Sly handles it right and it has a good script, it could turn out to be really good.
As a big Rocky fan, I'm really excited to see Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lungdren on screen together again eek! And it's great that Arnie is in too. So many great actors set to star in this movie, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

BruceSkywalker
I hate this film..

this is why Mickey Rourke is not doing Iron Man 2 sad sad

in all honesty, this film looks like it may be good

Kovacs86
Mickey Rourke isn't doing Iron Man 2!?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Mickey Rourke isn't doing Iron Man 2!?

No, he says so himself..

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=8104

jinXed by JaNx
I like Rourke for that. He has never been one to do a movie just because it's guaranteed to make an ass of money. This movie sounds like it has great potential. Can't wait to hear more about it

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I like Rourke for that. He has never been one to do a movie just because it's guaranteed to make an ass of money. This movie sounds like it has great potential. Can't wait to hear more about it

I agree, I can't wait to hear about this

MildPossession
He did say NOT RIGHT NOW, for Iron Man 2 smile

SnakeEyes
I've known about this movie for a while now and I think it has the potential to be one of the best straight-up, no bullshit action movies in a long time. I hope it delivers.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
He did say NOT RIGHT NOW, for Iron Man 2 smile

what i am hoping is that the article is a smokescreen and mickey is still in negotiations

Raoul
Originally posted by Kazenji
New film written and directed by Sylvester Stallone

OMG. the sheer amount of 80s action awesomeness...

i must see it.

Robtard
Despite being an avid 80's action flick fan, this should be renamed "The Washouts."

Final Blaxican
Jet Li and Jason Statham?

The latter sucks but even he's hardly a wash-out.

And yes I know who you're actually referring to. I just like being a dick.

Scythe
What was Rourke even going to being doing in Iron Man 2?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Scythe
What was Rourke even going to being doing in Iron Man 2?

He was going to be either the Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash

Kazenji
Should get Viggo mortenson for the Crimson Dynamo

but back to this movie.

Kovacs86
For the record, this will suck. It's going to be a disaster. But it might make some money, and may be vaguely amusing...

MildPossession
I hope you are right, I also hope Emily Blunt goes for her role too instead of the now rumoured Scarlett Johnanansmdosnssnsn, whatever her name. sad

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by LoneUnknown
That cast looks pretty good! yes I am actually really excited about this movie. If Sly handles it right and it has a good script, it could turn out to be really good.
As a big Rocky fan, I'm really excited to see Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lungdren on screen together again eek! And it's great that Arnie is in too. So many great actors set to star in this movie, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!! "Great actors"?!! The only marginally good actor in that cast is Whitaker. Lundgren, Arnorld, Jet Li..... seriously?!! GREAT ACTORS?? This movie may be action packed, but don't expect any acting. This is going to be like a group McBains from The Simpsons. Arnold should be worrying about governing his state out of bankruptcy instead of acting.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
For the record, this will suck. It's going to be a disaster. But it might make some money, and may be vaguely amusing...

I'll see it when it comes out..

I hope you are right, I also hope Emily Blunt goes for her role too instead of the now rumoured Scarlett Johnanansmdosnssnsn, whatever her name. sad

Arnold won't be governor for too much longer hopefully

I hope so too

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
AAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!! "Great actors"?!! The only marginally good actor in that cast is Whitaker. Lundgren, Arnorld, Jet Li..... seriously?!! GREAT ACTORS?? This movie may be action packed, but don't expect any acting. This is going to be like a group McBains from The Simpsons. Arnold should be worrying about governing his state out of bankruptcy instead of acting.

Scythe
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
He was going to be either the Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash

Oh, I see. Cool.

LoneUnknown
Okay maybe I got a bit overexcited when I said "great actors". I should have said "my favourite actors" instead because indeed they are some of my favourite actors and I'm pretty hyped about this movie. I'm not expecting any Oscar winning performances, just a good old action packed war movie. With the cast that Sly has got, I think it's going to be pretty great (regardless of whether they give amazing performances or not) So yeah, not "great actors" but a "great cast line-up".

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by LoneUnknown
Okay maybe I got a bit overexcited when I said "great actors". I should have said "my favourite actors" instead because indeed they are some of my favourite actors and I'm pretty hyped about this movie. I'm not expecting any Oscar winning performances, just a good old action packed war movie. With the cast that Sly has got, I think it's going to be pretty great (regardless of whether they give amazing performances or not) So yeah, not "great actors" but a "great cast line-up".

OK, fair enough. It does seem pretty kick-ass, in a fun shoot 'em up sort of way.

LoneUnknown
OK, fair enough. It does seem pretty kick-ass, in a fun shoot 'em up sort of way.
Sure does smile I think it will be a really fun movie to watch.

MildPossession
The Dynamo/Whiplash element was denied by Robert Downey(sp?) Jnr himself.

MildPossession
Oh, might be still on for Iron Man II:

Sorry about adding it in here stick out tongue

SergeiSidorov
This movie is going to fail spectacularly. And it will be awesome to watch at the same time. Epic Fail for the Epic Win!

Toku King
Hear me out, but I think they should use the Sunturion storyline.
It deals with Iron Man in space, has SHIELD in a similar light as the film portrayed, and could be lengthened out into a feature length movie. Many of the characters from the story can either be replaced by a movie character, is already in the story, or could be added with ease(it's be an awesome introduction to Justin Hammer). Just ditch the flashbacks and it's perfect.

Robtard
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Jet Li and Jason Statham?

The latter sucks but even he's hardly a wash-out.

And yes I know who you're actually referring to. I just like being a dick.

Statham is better than Li, though they both do suck as actors.

How about tasting it?

The Nuul
First footage...but its a small bit.

http://expendables-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

WOOT!!!!!! Jet and Stallone in a movie....

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Hear me out, but I think they should use the Sunturion storyline.
It deals with Iron Man in space, has SHIELD in a similar light as the film portrayed, and could be lengthened out into a feature length movie. Many of the characters from the story can either be replaced by a movie character, is already in the story, or could be added with ease(it's be an awesome introduction to Justin Hammer). Just ditch the flashbacks and it's perfect.

...What the hell's this doing on this thread? I KNOW I put it in the "Iron Man 2" thread.

-Pr-

there something wrong with that? i don't want great performances, i want them to blow shit up.

Originally posted by The Nuul
First footage...but its a small bit.

http://expendables-movie-trailer.blogspot.com/

WOOT!!!!!! Jet and Stallone in a movie....

mmm

Micheal_Myers
I've been psyched about this movie for a while. I cant wait to see it. The cast is full of straight up pwn.

Robtard
http://www.filmwad.com/fw_images/2009/01/26/sylvester-stallone-in-shape-the-expendables.jpg

62 year old Stallone in his role.

Tattoos N Scars
Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, and Bruce Willis should be in the lineup..lol...that would make it complete.

As far as I know...Arnold has only a few minutes, if that, on screen. He probably spent just a few hours doing his scene..if that. He wasn't letting the movie interfere with his gubernatorial responsibilites.

Kazenji
Promo trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59996

saintsaucey
There is a trailer on www.Aintitcoolnews.com

Kazenji
whatever works.........

-Pr-
Promo trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59996

eek!

Myth
Trailer was disappointing. :/

saintsaucey
You are insane.

Myth
It just didn't look that good. I love most of the actors in it so I had been waiting to see what this looks like, but it looks like it has nothing to it but BOOM BOOM BOOM. What made most of those guys' old movies great was the suspense leading up to the great action scenes. The beginning of the trailer was cool with the phone going off in the middle of a stand off, but after that it was nothing but explosions. This looks like it is nothing but action scenes. I hope I'm wrong.

Robtard
Suspense in cheesy action flicks, especially in the 80's-90's?

Myth
Originally posted by Robtard
Suspense in cheesy action flicks, especially in the 80's-90's?

You know, like Bruce Willis hiding and looking around at the glass, knowing he has to run across (to me, that was better than him actually doing it). Or Arny covered in mud watching Predator look around (or when Predator takes off his armor as Arnie just sits and watches). I also think that First Blood (which has less action than all the sequels) is actually better than the sequels.

Thats the type of thing I'm referring to. The better 80s-90s action films balanced suspense with the action. This is part of the reason Live Free or Die Hard wasn't as good as the older ones. There was not much of a build up. There was tons of action from the get go and never seemed to let up to add suspense. I'm afraid this movie will also not balance in some suspense. But again, I hope I am wrong.

SWblayde938
i have a problem with a big cast, with many big stars, i believe a movie should have 1 big movie star as the center dude and good quality back up stars, 2 big stars would be alright, but not a whole movie of them, because i like concentrating on the main character, i like him beign the star and not another dude overshadowing him... but i will still see it since i love sly, so well see

Impediment
Trailer:

C6RU5y2fU6s

It looks like your standard popcorn flick. I'll see it, no doubt, but I'm not expecting anything epic or groundbreaking acting-wise. The action, though, should be loads of fun to watch.

Ms.Marvel
this is gonna be one of the best movies of the year. it doesnt even matter if the plot is cliche and simplistic (or convoluted), or full of holes, or if the acting is horrible. it doesnt even matter if the action is boring.. with thAt many manly men in one movie it has to be kickass. so far i noticed: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Bruce Willis, Micky Rourke, Jason Stathem, Steve Austin, Randy Coture, Terry Crews, Dolph Lundgren, all in one movie?

yeah... my boyfriends gonna have to take me to see this one, no way my friends will go with me laughing out loud

Kazenji
Finally get to see Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger

every other trailer before that one did'nt show them.

SnakeEyes
I hope you guys realize that we probably saw all of the Bruce/Arnie stuff in the trailer alone. Pretty sure they just have cameos.

As for the movie, it doesn't look that good. It doesn't seem possible to recapture the 80's awesomeness of those action flicks. This one looks more like a sequel to Rambo (the 2008 one). I'll see it, but my expectations bar is going to be low, low, low.

Nice to see some solid action stars in one film though.

Bouboumaster
I'm masturbating ever since I know that this movie is going to be made.

Who care if the movie is good or not!? **** the plot, man! Have you see the names of the casting!? ****in' legendary action actors of the 80's, 90's and 00's in one movie! With cameos of Willis and Arnie!

This movie will roxx you so hard that hair will grow on your chest just before you explose!

And for those who say that Statham suck as an actor, well, I don't agree with this: Statham is a dude who love doing what he does, and doesn't take it seriously, which is absolutlu awesome.

His roles in Snatch and in Crank movies, especially the second, was totally awesome.

Kazenji
dMDC76D9l94

Kazenji
8-bit game

http://www.break.com/games/the-expendables-8-bit-game.html

Zack Fair
The testosterone levels will be off the charts.

The Nuul
This is the best action movie ever made and only Sly could have pulled it off.

Rogue Jedi
Pass.

The Nuul
Puff.

Kazenji
When sly was on The Late Show for this movie i think he's hoping for it too do good and thus for him creating another franchise.

Scythe
F*ckin' machismo in the house when that movie comes out. After seeing this, I'm going straight to see Machete, the sheer manliness after watching both back to back will make make sure the Missus loses an entire month of work.

The Nuul
This is the new Rambo.

Bro SMASH
I like 80s action movies and all star movies so I'm definitely gonna see this, especially since it has almost all my favorites.

I'm just pissed Van Damme turned this down.

The Nuul
For VD it was a typical ego thing.

Bro SMASH
Which was really stupid. I wonder his reaction would be if this movie turns out to be a huge success.

majid86
Shame Mr T and Carl Weathers are not in this movie.

Kazenji
Over at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 47%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_expendables/

Consensus: It makes good on the old-school action it promises, but given all the talent on display, The Expendables should hit harder.

The Nuul
I dont trust that site or many pro reviewers. I rather trust normal people like KMCers better.

I dont care about the plot, I just want kick ass action.

I cant wait for tomorrow.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by The Nuul
I dont trust that site or many pro reviewers. I rather trust normal people like KMCers better.

I dont care about the plot, I just want kick ass action.

I cant wait for tomorrow. The problem with Pro-reviewers is they tend to take things too seriously. Obviously this film should be taken lightly (like every Die Hard and Lethal Weapon). I seriously can't wait to see this film... everyman worth his salt should have the same feeling.

Scythe
This movie looks very fun, I honestly want campy ass one-liners and cheesy stunts. Like a dude being burned to death while Stallone says: "Looks like he got the bright idea"

jinXed by JaNx
Over at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 47%

but given all the talent on display, The Expendables should hit harder.

what talent? laughing out loud 90% of the cast consists of actors with little to no talent and a track record of shit movies. I'm excited to see this movie but this movie shouldn't be marketed as the action movie we've all been waiting for. Stallone couldnt even get Seagull or Van Damme. When Van Damme and Seagull turn you down because they say the story is lacking, yeah, you definitely have issues. Seriously, aside from Stallone, Li and Statham the cast serves merely as novelty.

Newjak
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
what talent? laughing out loud 90% of the cast consists of actors with little to no talent and a track record of shit movies. I'm excited to see this movie but this movie shouldn't be marketed as the action movie we've all been waiting for. Stallone couldnt even get Seagull or Van Damme. When Van Damme and Seagull turn you down because they say the story is lacking, yeah, you definitely have issues. Seriously, aside from Stallone, Li and Statham the cast serves merely as novelty. I'd say Rourke is also very good. Probably the best actor out of all of them.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Newjak
I'd say Rourke is also very good. Probably the best actor out of all of them. This.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Scythe
This movie looks very fun, I honestly want campy ass one-liners and cheesy stunts. Like a dude being burned to death while Stallone says: "Looks like he got the bright idea" Hell yeah!
I'd say Rourke is also very good. Probably the best actor out of all of them. True... But this isn't saying much.

I love pretty much every "actor" in this flick... But not becuase they're fantastic actors. It's because they play fantastic characters.

BruceSkywalker
i might see this next week

jinXed by JaNx
I'd say Rourke is also very good. Probably the best actor out of all of them.

yeah, but from what i hear, he has a small role and besides, when i think action...,i definitely don't think Mickey Rourke

Newjak

The Nuul
The action wasnt good because of Stallones piss poor directing job on this. The camera was way too close and there was too many angles in every action scene. The Jet fight would have been great like old school VD days but the camera work screwed that up. Yes, we all know this had a poor plot but even more so because theres way too many actors. I felt like the structure of the film was a mess because every actor has to have a small part. The Sly, Bruce and Arnie scene felt CGI where Stallone was added in. Rouke did a good acting job, Jet and Jason were also better than normal.

The main actors are Stallone, Jet, Jason and Rouke. Then Dolph, Eric and Steve. The others where add in to fill the team spots.

Star power its 10/10

Action because of bad directing 4/10

Plot because too many actors 4/10

The Nuul
I also felt that most of the actors didnt play their roles properly.

The Nuul
It was cool to see Stallone use two COD perks, Fast Hands and Double Tap with his pistols.

MildPossession
I think they meant the 'action' talent involved should have made for an amazing action packed film. The action was mediocre for the men involved for example? Because you don't go into a film like this and expect amazing acting and script, especially those taking part in this movie.

cosmicjudge
the film was okay i guess. but it lacked a story line.

heres a good review of the film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_blECS3Cc

jinXed by JaNx
I think they meant the 'action' talent involved should have made for an amazing action packed film. The action was mediocre for the men involved for example? Because you don't go into a film like this and expect amazing acting and script, especially those taking part in this movie.

oh yeah, i got that, but most of the actors involved are shit and the talent that should have heavy screen time, doesn't.

Bouboumaster
Saw it last night. Good, but Jet Li and Dolph should had more screen.

General_Iroh
It was good, my expectations were a bit high, and there was a lot of crappy aspects to the movie. For instance Dolph Lundgren was atrocious in this movie, like he had an accent sometimes but then he didn't at other times and his character just seemed like he was thrown into the movie without a single thought. The only really believable characters were Jet Li and Jason Statham. There was no Randy Couture vs. Nougeira fight, like wtf, I was waiting the whole movie for it. And a lot of the CGI in it just looked bad, blood-wise. And there was this stupid relationship with Statham that just went on through the whole movie and never amounted to anything, I seriously don't know why it was there.
However the movie did deliver on one-liners, the scene with all three legends together was pretty epic and cheesy and awesome, the action was good, and Mickey Rourke delivered a pretty solid speech in it, though it was maybe a bit too emotional for this movie, Stallone seemed like he wanted a fun action movie one minute and a serious film like Rambo the next, which ended up feeling odd.

super pr*xy
just saw this and i enjoyed it.. plot? f*ck the plot, man.. movie goes BOOM!! i like when movie goes BOOM and guns go BANG!! this is a pure testosterone movie.. i left the theater with my testicles 12.7% bigger.. that's how much testosterone was in that movie.. li was awesome, man.. he had corey yuen choreograph his fights.. the group fight towards the end was f*cking brutal.. groans abound the theater with every hit and gunshot.. i liked how morose li was, rourke should've gotten waaay more screen time.. solid monologue from him though.. i think crews should've had more lines.. i think more screen time for everybody was workable, but the movie would be considerably longer.. i see a franchise coming..

jinXed by JaNx
Wasn't bad but i thought most of the action was sub-standard and in some instances poor. Although, there were enough great scenes which make it easier to forgive the bad. I couldn't tell you what the movie was about but there was certainly a lot of action. I just wish the marquee names in the movie had gotten more screen time and Jet li...,yeah, they wasted his talents. Most of the action scenes felt like the camera was shoved up the asses of the people on the screen. This is what ruined most of the action for me. Half the time i couldn't tell what was going on. It was like watching, Transformers all over again. I understand the whole, in your face, style but when you're dealing with someone like, Jet Li, you need to have wide angle shots and prolonged takes. What you don't do is record jet li kicking and punching a hundred times whilst having the camera shoved in his face and just edit it altogether into a coherent scene.

There was also a lot of shoddy edits. You know, you see someone firing their gun and the screen cuts to a stock enemy falling over. I can't say i was disappointed because my expectations were low once i saw the trailer and even though it's not a horrible movie it's not a movie you need to see, even if you're an 80's action fan. For me, it was as forgettable as Steven Seagulls last movie. The only thing separating this movie from a TnT original movie is the expensive lens filter and caliber of film used.

Gideon
Excellent movie for its genre. Eric Roberts stole the show.

AsbestosFlaygon
Bruce Willis should've been included in the main cast.

And of course, Mickey Rourke. He's not exactly a good action star, but he could've been their weapons expert or something.

Also, the camera editing for the action scenes are shoddy at best. Just like most of Sylvester's movies.

Scythe
Movie was rad, and manly. The AA-12 shotgun scene was awesome.

politicsguy
i was really looking forward to this film but I'm not so sure anymore a lot of people are saying it wasn't great or it was ok ... for its genre etc

SnakeEyes
Been hearing from several sources that this movie was kind of lame. I'll wait for the DVD.

The Nuul
Yeah this is direct to DVD movie for me. Sly dropped the ball big time IMO.

General_Iroh
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Been hearing from several sources that this movie was kind of lame. I'll wait for the DVD.
I guess it depends on your expectations, mine were very high going into this film, I was hoping for a movie like the last Rambo, but it just got too cheesy at scenes for you to take the film seriously.

§P0oONY
The film was so, so, so bad.... And I loved every minute of it. Certainly not a film to be taken at all seriously. A good entertaining 90 minutes, make you want to revisit some of the great action films of the past.

Kazenji
I read Sly wants Bruce Willis as the villain in the sequel.

steverules_2
The movie was ok. Dolph should've fought Sly and Dolph should've said 'if he dies..he dies.'

§P0oONY
Originally posted by steverules_2
The movie was ok. Dolph should've fought Sly and Dolph should've said 'if he dies..he dies.' I too was hoping for a Rocky 4 reference.

-Pr-
I honestly loved the movie. I can understand the complaints about the camera work, but they honestly did little to spoil it for me. My brother complained that it was hard to tell the guys apart at times, but i just went by the hats.

I thought the action was incredibly well choreographed. As good as anything i've seen in a while.

steverules_2

majid86
I still haven't seen this movie

Bro SMASH
Seems like Van Damme now regrets not being in the movie:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=18657

The Nuul
WOOT! but I hope that they will do a much better directing and cinematography job.

fanhost
Yes, you are right..I also hope that..

K.Diddy
beer Seen this last night,It was ok,it kept me entertained but with a cast like that I just felt that it should of been a lot better,I were a bit pissed off that Dolph Lundrens character died so easy,would of liked to have seen more done with him,but great cast,Average movie 6.5/10

shane8gibson
I have seen this movie and its just rocked.I like the direction of the movie,its great to watch.Treat to the eyes...Go and watch it,I'm sure you will definitely like it.

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by K.Diddy
beer Seen this last night,It was ok,it kept me entertained but with a cast like that I just felt that it should of been a lot better,I were a bit pissed off that Dolph Lundrens character died so easy,would of liked to have seen more done with him,but great cast,Average movie 6.5/10

Did you watch the entire movie? Because Dolph's character is still alive at the end of the movie

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
Did you watch the entire movie? Because Dolph's character is still alive at the end of the movie

erm I actually completely forgot about that

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.