1984 vs. Brave New World

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
Simple question. Which fictional place would you rather live in ie. which dystopia is better and why?

backdoorman
The BNW society never seemed all that terrible to me really, as far as supposed dystopias go anyway.

Bardock42
Yeah, living would be preferable in the Brave New World society. It's a much happier place really.

Final Blaxican
BNW for sure yeah.

The people in it are so ****ed up they don't even know they're ****ed up.

busyreader
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
BNW for sure yeah.

The people in it are so ****ed up they don't even know they're ****ed up.

Kinda like Catch-22 in many ways isn't it! Everyone's so crazy they don't know they're crazy so they aren't. Except for Yossarian.

teamB_macro
i have to refresh my memory of 1984 and bnw. it was a freshman paper that i've long since forgotten. big grin but i do prefer dystopias over utopias.

Kaworori
Ah, and I thought this was going to be a discussion on what books people preferred smile.

I'd echo the sentiments of others here - Brave New World had a much more promiscuous society after a fashion.

As for what book I prefer (that's right, I'm abducting the thread) I would go for 1984. Being British, the idea of Big Brother seems to resonate more strongly with the old homeland and for me, and apparently the UK has the most CCTV cameras of any European nation.

People have argued that every decade or so, following economic well being, the society of either 1984 or BNW seems to appear in ours. It was argued that our society now, however, was a mixture of both.

On a sidenote, did people know that Orwell was a student of Huxley's (or a similar relationship) and that Huxley did not like his 'protege's' novel at all?

Mr Parker
brave new world and 1984 is what the world has BECOME.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Mr Parker
brave new world and 1984 is what the world has BECOME.

So perceptive.

Brave New World would be preferable; it's also the more interesting novel.

rader
I didn't read 1984, but I think that the BNW was actually a perfectly functioning society. I couldn't honestly classify it as dystopia. Also, khaki is such an ugly color. I'm glad I'm an Alpha.

Bardock42
Originally posted by rader
I didn't read 1984, but I think that the BNW was actually a perfectly functioning society. I couldn't honestly classify it as dystopia. Also, khaki is such an ugly color. I'm glad I'm an Alpha.

You look like a delta at best. UHH BURN!

BookwormService
BnW would be better, no matter which class you belonged too

ADarksideJedi
Never read the other book, but I guess 1984

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.