European mythologies are based on real life?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UKR
I remember seeing a video on YouTube that stated that the events of Germanic cosmology were based on real things; the Aesir were the warlike Indo-European invaders who entered Scandinavia before civilization, and the Vanir were the native, agricultural, non Indo-Europeans; the two fought and eventually merged, forming the early version of modern Germanic peoples, who eventually spread to much of Europe. This also, I guess, would imply that the gods of the ancient Germanic paganism religion were based on a dynasty of Vikings or something who actually existed thousands of years ago; I believe I may have briefly heard of such a thing once.

What do you folks think?

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by UKR
I remember seeing a video on YouTube that stated that the events of Germanic cosmology were based on real things; the Aesir were the warlike Indo-European invaders who entered Scandinavia before civilization, and the Vanir were the native, agricultural, non Indo-Europeans; the two fought and eventually merged, forming the early version of modern Germanic peoples, who eventually spread to much of Europe. This also, I guess, would imply that the gods of the ancient Germanic paganism religion were based on a dynasty of Vikings or something who actually existed thousands of years ago; I believe I may have briefly heard of such a thing once.

What do you folks think?

Fiction or mythology is based on reality, so theres probably some truth to it.

Bicnarok

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by UKR

What do you folks think?

All mythologies are based on real life, not just European.

liebe911
Mostl they have some truths behind every mythologies and there are some things for which we have to learn.

UKR
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
All mythologies are based on real life, not just European.

Fck political correctness.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by UKR

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/HaMsTeYr/OS-Tan-Windows-tanWallpaper.jpg

Pedo.

Political Correctness can be shortened to PC. A computer running Windows is often referred to as PC. Political correctness is an abstract concept, you can't "f*ck" it. The image of is the internet's modern anthropomorphisms of the Windows (PC) operating systems.

So: Political correctness --> PC --> Windows --> Windows-tan

Get it?

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/HaMsTeYr/OS-Tan-Windows-tanWallpaper.jpg

Pedo.

Political Correctness can be shortened to PC. A computer running Windows is often referred to as PC. Political correctness is an abstract concept, you can't "f*ck" it. The image of is the internet's modern anthropomorphisms of the Windows (PC) operating systems.

So: Political correctness --> PC --> Windows --> Windows-tan

Get it?

I appear to have missed the point here.

Symmetric Chaos
The point was to show off the twisted (awesome) way that my mind works.

Also, it's vaguely amusing. At least in theory.

Grand-Moff-Gav

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Evidence?

lol that was actually quite funny.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
lol that was actually quite funny.

Nothing like Transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation is a matter of faith, we accept that it is not based on empirical evidence but on belief.

Historical claims however require evidence to back them when used in debates.

Phantom Zone
Nothing like Transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation is a matter of faith, we accept that it is not based on empirical evidence but on belief.

Historical claims however require evidence to back them when used in debates.

Yeah but im pretty sure history is important to the Bible as well. I would assume that transubstantiation is derived from the Bible and historical context is needed.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Yeah but im pretty sure history is important to the Bible as well. I would assume that transubstantiation is derived from the Bible and historical context is needed.

Hmm

Are you asking for the Biblical Verses which back Transubstantiation? Transubstantiation was believed before the Bible was created...

However yes, biblical passages exist which back Transubstantiation.

But do you really think my saying "I believe in Transubstantiation" is the same as say someone saying "King Arthur conquered America"??

Phantom Zone
Hmm

Are you asking for the Biblical Verses which back Transubstantiation? Transubstantiation was believed before the Bible was created...

How did you first find out about it though wasnt it through the Bible? Belief in God existed before the Bible but you know Jesus through the Bible.

But do you really think my saying "I believe in Transubstantiation" is the same as say someone saying "King Arthur conquered America"??

I guess so, anyway that guy seems to have some basis for what hes saying it doesnt seem that absurd.

Grand-Moff-Gav
How did you first find out about it though wasnt it through the Bible? Belief in God existed before the Bible but you know Jesus through the Bible.

Christians were running around teaching and writing things before hte Bible was finally put together... The Bible is a collection of many different works and books...so we know Jesus from books found in the Bible but also from other sources such as the Gnostic Texts.

I guess so, anyway that guy seems to have some basis for what hes saying it doesnt seem that absurd.
Why does it seem to have a basis? What evidence did he give?

Symmetric Chaos

He hasn't provided any basis . . . at all.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
He hasn't provided any basis . . . at all.

yet

pimp

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by UKR

What the hell does my comment have to do with Political Correctness.

The comment was there to let you know that there is a world OUTSIDE America and Europe. And its more vast and interesting than you can comprehand.

Red Nemesis
What the hell does my comment have to do with Political Correctness.

The comment was there to let you know that there is a world OUTSIDE America and Europe. And its more vast and interesting than you can comprehand.

But-But... If we acknowledge other cultures it is only out of a (damned) liberal desire to be magnanimous and multicultural. Right?

Symmetric Chaos

There's not and it isn't.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
But-But... If we acknowledge other cultures it is only out of a (damned) liberal desire to be magnanimous and multicultural. Right?
Damn liberalism.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by UKR

What do you folks think? Yeah true. All new culture or beliefs or at least most of them are based on older ones mainly from Mesopotamia. All myths.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.