State of the Sentry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Longinus
I'm sure this is most likely the best place for this thread considering we don't have a character specific board for him and it's meant to discuss the character, his abilities, potential and story alike. Whether you want to see the character vanish, retold and retooled or just hate him for no reason apparently it's all welcomed here, just attempt to explain your reasoning.

Personally I think the Sentry is a great character, who has the potential to become an iconic hero, I just feel he should be retooled and retold with a more tragic origin with a different writer at the helm who wants to see the character progress along with his story, motivations, surrounding and abilities. However, Bendis' current run with Sentry is smearing his image and making the character out to be a mockery of Marvel. Sentry today is and has been the watchdog and puppet of immoral heroes and psychopaths, Tony Stark and Norman Osborn. In Jenkin's mini, Robert (I hate "Bob", sounds like a hillbilly) was presented as "the first and greatest" amongst all heroes according to Reed Richards. He served as the inspiration to Spiderman and Angel, was friend to the Hulk, Richards, Captain America and Stark. Currently he acts as their lackey, never questioning the orders given to him or having the mind of a child. Now I know Robert suffers from skitsophrenia and dissociative identity disorder but thats no reason to present him as an idiot with intelligence comparable to the Hulk and being an agrophobic recluse.

Thats just laziness on behalf of the writers. I understand that Sentry saving the world in the event of every catastrophe would eventually wear thin but he could encounter adversaries that pose a threat or make him into a wayfarer- a being not bound to Earth and only returns in times of complete urgency. This could potentially kill two birds with one stone. Not only could Sentry haters be satisfied with rarely seeing the Sentry but when he is shown he could achieve great feats for those of us who enjoy his character or he could have the encounter with Galactus that has been of much speculation and debate.

Longinus

Longinus

Sin I AM
oh very sexy, im totally digging your approach to the character

Vally Doosh
Kill him.

Darth Exodus
Wow. 'Claps'
Muy bueno

I was going to suggest that you have the Void be addicted to violence or murder as an escalation from the drugs but this is just ... perfect. This would be so awesome and be infinitely preferable to the chump right now easily psyched out every damn issue.

Cartesian Doubt
I know Its lame but the origin behind Sentry's powers really doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell would a simple chemical formula give him the powers of basically an entire Galaxy ? Unless the formula works on some meta-physical level, sort of like the Anti Life Equation. If this is the case, how the **** did a bunch of 20th century scientists have access to it ? If the formula is some kind of analytical manifestation of meta physical power then give it a more enigmatic explanation. Whether the formula originates from the Celestial's, Galactus, Mephisto, Asgard Bethlehem or what ever, then illustrate this.If shield have access to transcendual mathematical equations, then they are hardly going to be flying around in aircraft carriers, and using projectile weaponry. Also I hate the whole skipping forward seconds in time crap. From a logical stand point it just isn't valid. If he skips forward in time, how is it that we see him in the present ?

I like the Super Soldier premise that's been introduced, very Miracle Man esq; but it needs to be built upon. However the quasi scientific explanation of his powers needs to be fleshed out. I like the Blue Marvels current explanation of his powers, i.e. he's an living Anti Matter reactor, why not make the Sentry a living Sun. I.e. His powers come from converting matter into pure energy. The photosynthetic aspect of his powers only act as a catalyst or something. That or make him a bit like Captain Atom, whose physically connected to the Zero point field.

IMO he needs to be toned down a lot in power level sense. No more of this; "Power of a million Suns" crap. No one in comics should be that powerful, especially when they're most dangerous opponent is likely to be no more than Planetary level.

Character development is easy IMO you just need to have the structural essence of the character made clear. That's what's holding the likes of Bendis back at the moment. No one has a clue how the hell his powers work. Only when this is made clear can you begin using them properly in combat scenario's.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Vally Doosh
Kill him.

Or that ...

willRules
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
I know Its lame but the origin behind Sentry's powers really doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell would a simple chemical formula give him the powers of basically an entire Galaxy ? Unless the formula works on some meta-physical level, sort of like the Anti Life Equation. If this is the case, how the **** did a bunch of 20th century scientists have access to it ? If the formula is some kind of analytical manifestation of meta physical power then give it a more enigmatic explanation. Whether the formula originates from the Celestial's, Galactus, Mephisto, Asgard Bethlehem or what ever, then illustrate this.If shield have access to transcendual mathematical equations, then they are hardly going to be flying around in aircraft carriers, and using projectile weaponry. Also I hate the whole skipping forward seconds in time crap. From a logical stand point it just isn't valid. If he skips forward in time, how is it that we see him in the present ?

no expression

Comic books.

no expression

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by willRules
no expression

Comic books.

no expression

Yeah, that doesn't make it good ...

He might as well have the power to make triangles with four sides, or female bachelors , or decapitate limbs that aren't the head. etc.

Phantom Zone
I know Its lame but the origin behind Sentry's powers really doesn't make any sense to me. How the hell would a simple chemical formula give him the powers of basically an entire Galaxy ?

Is that all thats bothering you.....they got lucky big deal. Thats how they made Caps shield.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Is that all thats bothering you.....they got lucky big deal. Thats how they made Caps shield.

confused

Philosophía
Originally posted by Vally Doosh
Kill him.

Co-sign.

Longinus
Originally posted by Sin I AM
oh very sexy, im totally digging your approach to the character

Haha thanks, I just felt like Sentry should be this charcater that Jenkin's originally set him up to be. Essentially he's a loser right now in current Marvel continuity. I wish Marvel would take my idea (I swear I wouldn't sue lol, but I'd take money if they offered) and just run with it. It's just the way he's presented is repetitive and tiresome...he's a joke around here with only a couple of fans.

Longinus
Originally posted by Darth Exodus
Wow. 'Claps'
Muy bueno

I was going to suggest that you have the Void be addicted to violence or murder as an escalation from the drugs but this is just ... perfect. This would be so awesome and be infinitely preferable to the chump right now easily psyched out every damn issue.

Exactly, I'm sure if Robert was written to his potential and not a child with superman powers basically, I think people would like him instead of hating him so very easily. Hopefully Marvel has plans for the character that surpass my own. Someone mentioned Sentry essentially being a living sun, I think thats a cool idea but I think he'd be easy to exploit against other heroes if thats how he was powered. I tend to look at the 1million expolding suns as a measurement of Robert's energy opponet and not what his powers resemble but thats just me.

Robert also needs a haircut, it's length should be reduced and his costume is fine excluding the cape, I don't like it. I think it should be removed and if it stays it should be the same color as his boots and the wrists of his costume, not a different color entirely

willRules
Yeah, that doesn't make it good ...

He might as well have the power to make triangles with four sides, or female bachelors , or decapitate limbs that aren't the head. etc.

You should do a comic on those things no expression

Longinus
Hmm I've been thinking, I think that Cloc should actually instead of being stationed in the watch tower, it should be a computer chip Ironman has implanted onto Robert's brain under the guise that it helps Robert coordinate his efforts and assess threat levels. Although it suggests to Robert what threats he should handle and those he leaves to the authorities, Robert can still have free choice in what he chooses to handle. However, although Cloc does all this, it's not it's true purpose. It's primarily made to track Robert's movements and keep him occupied and to also gauge his powers.

Scout should also make a CAMEO in a FLASHBACK where Robert recounts his days as a fledgling hero and he had Scout by his side. Scout would be dead in the present though, having been killed by the Void. This would take place after Robert meets Linda then Tony and becomes a hero but also before Voids ultimate return.

It'll be explained that Sentry, following Scouts death falls into a state depression and his fluctuating psychic powers affect all psychics. He believes that he's still fighting the Void, while the Void is apparently invisible to the other heroes. They deem Robert insane. In a plan orchestrated by Linda/Tony/Reed/Xavier/Strange, Robert is captured. This is when for years, Sentry is keep under a illusionary spell by Dr. Strange and Professor Xavier attempts to re-write/erase his memories. He then wakes up and that colossal war iI wrote of in earlier post takes place

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by willRules
You should do a comic on those things no expression

Ok i will ....

Longinus
Here's my perception of the Void:

The Void should be presented as a very pale, thin male, with short, spiked black hair. His eyes are crimson red. This is just Robert's image of the Void as he most resembles Robert's deepest fear, his abusive father. His body is bare with no clothing, he's just cover in burns and scars (from Roberts solar vision), shadows cover his genitals and more private areas. However others see the Void as their greatest fears so he never looks the same to any two people. The relationship Void shares with the Sentry is a peculiar one. Although Void does want to kill Sentry is protective of him against others sharing the same goal or wishing to do Robert harm, for this reason Void compassionately hates Linda, knowing that she is using Robert and having an affair with Tony Stark. He want's to expose the truth to his naive counterpart, believeing it is only he who has the right to kill Robert.

Void himself possess abilities mirroring the Sentry along with additional ones. He possess super strength, speed, endurance and durability. With his tendrils Void can not only pierce primary adamantinum and the unique composition of Captain's shield but can use them to evoke the deepest fears of his enemies, making them a reality and forcing them to relive it over and over. He is a superb shapeshifter, able to immitate others appearance, their abilities, beasts, mythical creatures and inanimate objects. Also he can reform his body into bladed weapons, showing extreme molecular control.

Unlike Robert, the Void is very adept with his psionic abilities. Void can read minds, erase memories, implant false ones, manipulate the living and the dead like puppets. In this depiciton he can control, fire, wind and lightning. He's been shown to teleport as well

Void's appearance:
http://www.comicvine.com/void/29-11585/136187-void/105-303585/?offset=2
http://www.comicvine.com/void/29-11585/22183-void/105-321633/?offset=2

Longinus
Sentry is powered by solar energy and is essentially a walking solar reactor/generator/converter/battery. His body instantly draws solar energy from the sun primarily and can convert it into thermal pulses, retinal beams or blasts from his mouth and hands. Excess energy is stored for later usage. However should no solar source be available, he can forcibly siphon energy from other entities/objects for his own usage or simply convert other energies into usable solar energy. Sentry's long, blonde hair is meant to represent his mother's appearance, similar to how Void resembles his father.

Something to add about my Void idea: the Void has made it his mission to kill al of Robert's loved ones. Intially Robert thought Billy, the Scout was Void's only victim but it is revealed at some point in the narrative that Void drove Robert's unstable mother to commit suicide (playing on the guilt that she held for Robert's problems in life, i.e they were from her inability and weakness to stop her husband from beating Robert and herself). Robert learns this after Void kills Lindy because Void felt Robert still was fighting with restraint.

For his ending scene Robert's body should be carried off by Thor to Asgard and given a hero's burial and placed amongst the other fallen warriors who have been admitted into Valhalla. The entire hero population would attend as would millions of people and in an odd turn of fate no crimes would be committed that day, as villians would honor the fallen hero who had died for them.

Eel O'Brien
I think Sentry should go back to the earlier phase where he had the long unkept beard, was even less stable, and still thought he had killed his wife.

His powers shouldn't be clearly defined, but it should be obvious that they are WAY up there. That way everyone is always uneasy around him. Any low showings could be explained as Bob not having a good grasp on the power; but if he ever fully lets loose- LOOK OUT.

Kris Blaze
I think he should go around and resurrect all the dead heroes.

Wouldn't that be something?

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
I think he should go around and resurrect all the dead heroes.

Wouldn't that be something?

Then Cap would WTFPWN Osborne.

And Sentry would be out of a job/meds.

Longinus
So Eel' O'Brien, do you like the setup I'd written or you thought it was corny? But concerning Sentry's beard, in my interpretation, he leaves the Earth for some months and returns when he is telepathically contacted by the Void. But anyway when he does return, his beard is flowing and is unkept and his hair has grown extradordinary lengths (before he leaves he be clean shaved and have low cut hair) to resemble the Sentry we all know today.

For Sentry's power, I think the chemical compound he ingests should be a newly, accidental concoction. Like a high powered newly created element has fused with his blood creating the Sentry. Hmm thats a way I guess. I just don't Robert to be powered by what Superman is or anyone else like Hyperion or Supreme

Longinus
bump, I won't this one die

The Pict
I like that Sentry has mental problems, makes him more interesting. Puts a human flaw on such a powerful character. If he didn't have something keeping his powers in check he'd own most of Earth's villain's with no problems and his comic appearances would be shit to read.

And never mind Bendis, Pak treated Sentry worse.

Child Rebel
Trade em to DC for Black Adam...

Longinus
I think that'd work out even worse, they already have the Superman. He'll just be second hand and live in his shadow much like Marvel does already.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Longinus
So Eel' O'Brien, do you like the setup I'd written or you thought it was corny? But concerning Sentry's beard, in my interpretation, he leaves the Earth for some months and returns when he is telepathically contacted by the Void. But anyway when he does return, his beard is flowing and is unkept and his hair has grown extradordinary lengths (before he leaves he be clean shaved and have low cut hair) to resemble the Sentry we all know today.

I just don't Robert to be powered by what Superman is or anyone else like Hyperion or Supreme

Instead you want him to be like Supreme roll eyes (sarcastic)

Longinus
What do you mean, I'm not understanding what you're getting at...?

Longinus
A new plot detail that I wanted to add was that Robert's father (who've I've named Orin since he doesn't canonically have a name) was actually removed from the SSS reproduction program when other scientists (Hank Pym, Bruce Banner and Reed Richards) felt that he was growing unstable and became obsesive towards the project. Released and in poor standings with the council, Orin uses Robert as a guinea pig for his studies in an attempt to regain his position as head scientist of the project by displaying the advances he made. *Robert has no memory of this or it's a blur at best as these injections are done when Robert is suffering from the side effects of his drug usage* Using a synthesis of Robert's blood and the once thought hypothetical tachyon, Orin creates a formula that excessively exceeds the SSS. It's here that Robert wanders into the cellar and in a fiendish state ingests everything in sight, combining not only the serum but other compunds in his blood as well. After he loses consciousness, his father finds his holy grail, lingering in Robert's blood and this is where the events that ultimately make the Sentry/Void transpire.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
I think Sentry should go back to the earlier phase where he had the long unkept beard, was even less stable, and still thought he had killed his wife.

His powers shouldn't be clearly defined, but it should be obvious that they are WAY up there. That way everyone is always uneasy around him. Any low showings could be explained as Bob not having a good grasp on the power; but if he ever fully lets loose- LOOK OUT.

Gotta agree with you there. When Sentry first appeared in New Avengers, and most people had no idea who he was, it was definitely alot more interesting.

That and the idea of a hero accidentally killing someone they love sounds pretty interesting.

Oh yah, and the beard. Every man looks better with a beard.

Longinus
Cool, I'll add that in2 my story too. When Void is apparently defeated and Billy (Scout) dies Robert goes into a self imposed exile onto Ryker's Island, believing that since the Void is a part of his being, it was he himself who killed Scout. This for him is a form of penance, living amongst the criminals he's imprisoned. He leaves the world to fend for itself for years that is until Galactus attempts to consume Earth and in the chaos the Ryker's criminals escape. Sentry grasps Carnage who is about to kill numerous officers. He flies the psychopath into space a rips him in two. He descends to Earth repelling the assault of Galactus' Heralds and eventually challenges the world devourer. The battle ends in a stalemate, with Galactus departing to find an easier meal. On Earth are Shield forces with barrels raised on him until Captain America and Ironman reveals the unknown hero to the younger heros and Shield. Sentry is uneasy about this however knowing that Ironman previously tried to abuse his powers and Shield attempted to kill him in order to gain his blood and the serum that laid within it.

Longinus
Originally posted by Grimm22
That and the idea of a hero accidentally killing someone they love sounds pretty interesting.

Oh yah, and the beard. Every man looks better with a beard.

In my version of the story, on page 1, Robert when he developes his powers from his father's experimental serum (which he used on Robert as a guinea pig) unintentionally vaporizes his father with heat vision in an attempt to stop him from killing his mother, (it's complicated but in my story it's explained that Robert's father is a drunken physicist/chemist/genticist who abuses his wife and child after being expunged from the SuperSoldierSerum Recreation project for becoming overly aggressive/unstable and obsessive with his work)

Longinus
bump

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Longinus

For Sentry's power, I think the chemical compound he ingests should be a newly, accidental concoction. Like a high powered newly created element has fused with his blood creating the Sentry. Hmm thats a way I guess. I just don't Robert to be powered by what Superman is or anyone else like Hyperion or Supreme

No, I didn't think it was necessarily corny; I just don't want his story to end. Your death for him is very heroic and all, but there are plenty of people who fit that mold. Sentry should always be out there and always be too crazy to realize his full potential.

I don't want him to be the ultimate champion that everyone calls on to save the day. He should only be brought into action if the threat is greater than the damage Sentry himself may end up doing if he snaps...

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien

I thought he was powerful interesting when he was the crazyass killing stuff with his alter ego.

bbrem123
was the whole age of the sentry not true??....cuz the last issue was crazy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.