Will we have first appearances that are valuable ever again in Comic Books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Back than there was Action Comics #1/Superman 1, Detective Comics #27/Batman 1, Spider-Man 1/Amazing Fantasy #15 and all the way to X-Men 1. From comic books eras like those and others first appearances are worth great value but the last few eras is seems like comics books are worth nothing beside special issues.

Thoughts.....

Kris Blaze
I don't think so.

Nowdays there are so many people who collect comic books, where as getting your hands on one of the first appearance comics from back in the day was something rare. You can bet that there are at least a thousand basement-dwellers that have a copy each in mint condition, locked up in a safe.

Poor Disguise
This is why this forum has died. The poor quality of answer to simple questions. The only comic books that have been worth something in the last three decades are those that were unexpectedly popular with a low print run. This is true for both first issues and issues of comics where something special happens. This can be compounded with legal issues preventing reprints. For example Miracleman. It can also happen if said comic has a low print run and the writer suddenly becomes hot due to something else.

**** me, are no decent posters left here?

vansonbee
Heard on the radio about Action comic#1 might be eBay for 400,000 $.

If I was billionaire, I would be comic collector as one of my hobbies. Screw the hungry children! evil face

Philosophía
Ever again ? Yes.

The industry will eventually collapse, and as generations pass so will the comic books, until very few will remain, which will most likely be very valuable. So by the time your grandchildren's grandchildren will have grandchildren, they will probably be rich.

Of course, that will never happen though, since Earth will probably die in our lifetime.

willRules

Philosophía
Originally posted by willRules
As for the Earth dying out? Nah no The generation before us said the same thing and them before them and so on.....

Well, those generations didn't have me. I will be like Darkseid in Final Crisis, only I will suceed.

willRules

Nihilist
Spiderman comic with obama in maybe?

The Nuul
Originally posted by Nihilist
Spiderman comic with obama in maybe?

Is a special issue.

Badabing

The Nuul
I am talking about non special issues. When X-Men came into the comic world for the first time it was huge. Now, a good team like the Authority comes out and its worth crap and means nothing really. Wolverine number 1 is like nothing compared to X-Men issue 1, it didnt have the same effect really. So, unless some thing big happens to the comic world, theres going to be a lot of copy cats and comic world wont have the same impact like the old comics did.

Badabing
Originally posted by The Nuul
I am talking about non special issues. When X-Men came into the comic world for the first time it was huge. Now, a good team like the Authority comes out and its worth crap and means nothing really. Wolverine number 1 is like nothing compared to X-Men issue 1, it didnt have the same effect really. So, unless some thing big happens to the comic world, theres going to be a lot of copy cats and comic world wont have the same impact like the old comics did. It seems like the comic companies try too hard today. I think it would probably be a sleeper comic that's a hit.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by The Nuul
Back than there was Action Comics #1/Superman 1, Detective Comics #27/Batman 1, Spider-Man 1/Amazing Fantasy #15 and all the way to X-Men 1. From comic books eras like those and others first appearances are worth great value but the last few eras is seems like comics books are worth nothing beside special issues.

Thoughts..... a huge part of the value of older comics is due to parents/grandparents hawking them when their kids went to collage or whatever. also comics were thought of as trash reading for a long time so the value for remaining issues skyrocketed.

plus stuff from back in the day was epic, actual jack kirby/stan lee, bob kane I.P's ....c'mon now, that stuff is gold. they don't make em' like they used to.

willRules
Comics are no different from literature in this sense. In a very generalised theory, the rarer or harder to find a comic, the more expensive it should be. This means that in theory something modern could be expensive one day, provide the copies are hard to get hold of.

The very reason characters like Spider-man are popular was because many people bought his first appearance, so there were loads o copies sold (for that time) it's just easier to get access to something today than it was then....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.