Apollo VS Supergirl

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SevenShackles
who wins?
fight takes place in space near the sun, Apollo is fully charged.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/StickmanLtd/linkedimages/apollo_midnighter_kiss_queen.jpg
http://freakcomics.com/images2/2007/07/supergirl/supergirl_19.jpg

spetznaz
Supergirl.

I like Apollo (I love the off-skew writing, as well as the fact they were willing to take major risks in the whole portrayal, ranging from the higher-than-then-normal violence, and ofcourse the whole Apollo-midnighter relationship as far as they did, when it could very easily have bombed).

However, Apollo for all his powers has always seemed a tad less capable in scale and scope than a Kryptonian going all-out, and Supergirl is a Kryptonian who (even outside KMC-style battles) goes all out. That is why for a while she was thought to be more powerful than Superman, since she never holds back.

Thus, Supergirl.

And anyways, when you have two girls fighting (as Kara and Apollo would be ....and yes, Apollo is the 'girl' in the Midnighter-Apollo relationship, isn't he), I'd say the one who would win is the one who is stronger, faster, more aggressive, and can actually get PMS.

That would be Supergirl.

carver9
Originally posted by spetznaz
Supergirl.

I like Apollo (I love the off-skew writing, as well as the fact they were willing to take major risks in the whole portrayal, ranging from the higher-than-then-normal violence, and ofcourse the whole Apollo-midnighter relationship as far as they did, when it could very easily have bombed).

However, Apollo for all his powers has always seemed a tad less capable in scale and scope than a Kryptonian going all-out, and Supergirl is a Kryptonian who (even outside KMC-style battles) goes all out. That is why for a while she was thought to be more powerful than Superman, since she never holds back.

Thus, Supergirl.

And anyways, when you have two girls fighting (as Kara and Apollo would be ....and yes, Apollo is the 'girl' in the Midnighter-Apollo relationship, isn't he), I'd say the one who would win is the one who is stronger, faster, more aggressive, and can actually get PMS.

That would be Supergirl.

good post and not being mean or anything but I just dont agree with that pic of apollo and midnighter kissing. confused

Mindset
gay

guy222
SG

carver9
Originally posted by Mindset
gay

Lol

spetznaz
Originally posted by carver9
good post and not being mean or anything but I just dont agree with that pic of apollo and midnighter kissing. confused

I think what happens is that after decades of continuous writing flow, material starts to get a little thin.

Thus, writers do one of three things:

They either continue with the same ol' same ol', and in the process risk losing market share (in TV, this would be like continuing with the whole Mr Roger's Neighborhood type of shows)

Or they take the approach of using shock value. It is easy to add a touch of octane by simply doing something 'shocking,' and this can be seen by the 'gay comic characters' in comics, but most importantly in movies and TV (where instead of real character/plot driven stories it is mostly some shock factor. Be it people eating entrails and slugs on Fear Factor, or swapping wives, or horror movies not being even frightening any more but instead relying on images suddenly appearing on screen, or eyeballs getting ripped out etc. It is not about plot ...simply about some shock factor. For instance, instead of horror films playing visceral tricks on your mind, nowadays they simply rely on some guy suddenly appearing from the closet and making the lil'girl sitting in the row in front of you to squeal. That is not scary.) Another example here is violence, where instead of real plot directives you simply have extreme violence. Sure, it is entertaining, but it is like Chinese take-away.

Now, there are a FEW writers who take the third option, which is actually coming up with a write-up that is pure genius. Something new, something fresh, something amazing. However this is hard to do, and few people do it. Also, once it is done it is quickly followed by copy-cats.

The whole Midnighter thing is a mix of 2 and 3 (maybe 90% 2, and 10% 3) ....I like the way they write, however the gay parts were thrown in to create 'velocity' and have people talking about it.

Think about the new Batwoman ....when she was introduced she actually made it into big-paper publications (NYT, WSJ, etc). Why? Not because she was a new DC character ....but simply because she was a lesbian!

Look at all the horror movies for the last 10 years or so. All of them are not horror flicks ....simply b-rate movies that rely on some CG monster suddenly leaping at the screen for shocks and squeals. To see a real horror film you have to opt for European cinema! Nothing has come out of hollywood in the last 10 years that I would consider a horror ....not even a thriller, unless you are a 13 year old girl (or quanchi).

It is sad, but most writers opt for the easiest solution to a given problem, and the easiest is to use 'stunts.'

Next will probably be an anti-hero type who gains his powers from killing old people in nursing homes, or a character that is a pedophile, or a transexual villain, or maybe sexual zombies who turn other people into the undead through herpes-ridden assault, or a hero that has problems fighting his tendencies for bestiality. Any number of stupid ideas can come out.

Anything to get a few lines from a newspaper and hopefully capture some level of interest, even if it dies out in a couple of months.

Darth Exodus
You Douche. ranting

fangirl101
And to remedy you disagreeing with the pic you are going to do what?

Draco69

Wait, you can deal with Wolverine cutting people in half, Thanos committing genocide, and other gory feats of violence and but two men kissing is two much for you to handle...?

Hypocrisy....

Enyalus
Originally posted by Draco69
Wait, you can deal with Wolverine cutting people in half, Thanos committing genocide, and other gory feats of violence and but two men kissing is two much for you to handle...?
love

SG wins.

Draco69
Originally posted by spetznaz
I think what happens is that after decades of continuous writing flow, material starts to get a little thin.

Thus, writers do one of three things:

They either continue with the same ol' same ol', and in the process risk losing market share (in TV, this would be like continuing with the whole Mr Roger's Neighborhood type of shows)

Or they take the approach of using shock value. It is easy to add a touch of octane by simply doing something 'shocking,' and this can be seen by the 'gay comic characters' in comics, but most importantly in movies and TV (where instead of real character/plot driven stories it is mostly some shock factor. Be it people eating entrails and slugs on Fear Factor, or swapping wives, or horror movies not being even frightening any more but instead relying on images suddenly appearing on screen, or eyeballs getting ripped out etc. It is not about plot ...simply about some shock factor. For instance, instead of horror films playing visceral tricks on your mind, nowadays they simply rely on some guy suddenly appearing from the closet and making the lil'girl sitting in the row in front of you to squeal. That is not scary.) Another example here is violence, where instead of real plot directives you simply have extreme violence. Sure, it is entertaining, but it is like Chinese take-away.

Now, there are a FEW writers who take the third option, which is actually coming up with a write-up that is pure genius. Something new, something fresh, something amazing. However this is hard to do, and few people do it. Also, once it is done it is quickly followed by copy-cats.

The whole Midnighter thing is a mix of 2 and 3 (maybe 90% 2, and 10% 3) ....I like the way they write, however the gay parts were thrown in to create 'velocity' and have people talking about it.

Think about the new Batwoman ....when she was introduced she actually made it into big-paper publications (NYT, WSJ, etc). Why? Not because she was a new DC character ....but simply because she was a lesbian!

Look at all the horror movies for the last 10 years or so. All of them are not horror flicks ....simply b-rate movies that rely on some CG monster suddenly leaping at the screen for shocks and squeals. To see a real horror film you have to opt for European cinema! Nothing has come out of hollywood in the last 10 years that I would consider a horror ....not even a thriller, unless you are a 13 year old girl (or quanchi).

It is sad, but most writers opt for the easiest solution to a given problem, and the easiest is to use 'stunts.'

Next will probably be an anti-hero type who gains his powers from killing old people in nursing homes, or a character that is a pedophile, or a transexual villain, or maybe sexual zombies who turn other people into the undead through herpes-ridden assault, or a hero that has problems fighting his tendencies for bestiality. Any number of stupid ideas can come out.

Anything to get a few lines from a newspaper and hopefully capture some level of interest, even if it dies out in a couple of months.

Apollo and Midnighter's homosexuality granted was unfortunately just a stunt when they first came out. But when their characters progressed, their being gay was just a part of their character.

And wouldn't liken their initial homosexuality to "shock value" like zombies, pedophiles, and bestality (which by the way I find offensive...) I would liken it to the 'diversity' campaign that DC has been touting for the last few years. Like making the new Blue Beetle a Latino youth. And the new Atom a Asian-American.

Unfortunately, Batwoman suffered greatly under this campaign as they failed to make anything other than a lesbian, a problem that Rucka will fix in the upcoming Dect. Comics.

Gay characters are suffering the same shit black comic book characters did and still do suffer in the comic medium. Their characters are defined by their homosexuality/race rather than their actual character. I.E. Black Lightening, Falcon, Black Panther, etc.

Thankfully, gay characters like Hulkling, Wiccan, Willow Rosenburg, and Renee Monotoya have broken this mold.

Oh and Supergirl wins. He's not in her league. He's about as powerful as Wonder Man IMO.

Mindset
Originally posted by fangirl101
And to remedy you disagreeing with the pic you are going to do what? He's going to kiss you.

Originally posted by Draco69

Hypocrisy.... That's not really hypocrisy, but w/e.

quanchi112
Apollo wins.

The Nuul
SG

Silent Master
Supergirl.

Digi
The stuff about MNer and Apollo being gay for the shock value is a little misinformed. They haven't used it to shock anyone since about Issue #5 of their original run. It's actually treated much like a "normal" comic relationship these days, and it's not even something that gets brought up by others in the WS universe too often. Seeing a picture of them kissing is hardly an argument against that, either. When hertero characters kiss, or when we see gratuitous sexual references, we think nothing of it. But in a homosexual context, it's suddenly pandering for ratings?!

Though they did use homophobia to hilarious affect in the Kev titles. But those were never intended to be serious, and also aren't part of the Authority's main run.

Prolly Supergirl, btw. Better high-end feats. Though being near the sun puts the fight in some doubt, and people like to highlight Apollo's low showings rather than his high, leading to what I consider to be a slight forum underestimation.

The Nuul
Didnt Apollo get overpowered by over exposure to the Sun?

UniOmni
Apollo loses bigtime.

He's not stronger than Thing, and with less stamina.

He's like a class 90 wonderman without the durability.

Digi
Originally posted by The Nuul
Didnt Apollo get overpowered by over exposure to the Sun?

Cpt. Atom altered his atomic structure in order to overload his cells with solar power. But he's existed comfortably near and in the sun more than once, and also teleported there in a fight to aid himself once, so the fight's setting would only help him. His low showings exist when he burns up his charge too quickly, so he'd be free from such concerns in this fight.

Originally posted by UniOmni
Apollo loses bigtime.

He's like a class 90 wonderman without the durability.

Lol. Joey Stacks? Supergirl does win though.

The Nuul
Yeah cant remember teh context.

SoulDevourer
Supergirl

quanchi112
Apollo loses bigtime.

He's like a class 90 wonderman without the durability. He didn't look that weak against Atom.

Digi
Uni's comments may have been an attempt at humor or baiting. Or simply a lack of knowledge. It would be akin to saying Spider-Man is Class 5, or Sasquatch is Class 80 (which is what I think the handbooks have him at). It's provably false, and quite easily at that.

The Nuul
Handbooks are crap.

Silent Master
What are Apollo's best strength feats?

Digi
Originally posted by Silent Master
What are Apollo's best strength feats?

Going blow for blow with Cpt. Atom in a canon crossover. Toppling a skyscraper that was the largest in Los Angeles by a fair margin. He also destroyed an at-least-state-sized spaceship by simply flying into it, which is above any meta-style durability feat, especially since I'm being very generous by calling it state-size and not continent or world-sized.

That's off the top of my head. He's got low showings, but it's when he loses his charge. And he's got a good respect thread, you know (in the larger Authority respect thread). You should check it out....

Supergirl still wins, btw. My lone point in these threads anymore is informative, not debating.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Digi
Going blow for blow with Cpt. Atom in a canon crossover. Toppling a skyscraper that was the largest in Los Angeles by a fair margin. He also destroyed an at-least-state-sized spaceship by simply flying into it, which is above any meta-style durability feat, especially since I'm being very generous by calling it state-size and not continent or world-sized.

That's off the top of my head. He's got low showings, but it's when he loses his charge. And he's got a good respect thread, you know (in the larger Authority respect thread). You should check it out....

Supergirl still wins, btw. My lone point in these threads anymore is informative, not debating. He was raping Atom in that crossover. It wasn't even close until he tricked him.

Digi
Originally posted by quanchi112
He was raping Atom in that crossover. It wasn't even close until he tricked him.

I tend to err on the side of caution when listing feats, especially when people know I read them a lot. It's easy to be accused of fanboy-ism, and not easy to regain credibility after it. I don't even like Apollo as a character that much. At the end of the day, his husband's simply better-defined as a character and he's just another Supes clone. But the amount of hatred toward him, mixed with feat confusion, is a bit mystifying.

But yes, you have a point, and I agree. It was just easier to say he was equal to Atom because all I was going for is "higher than meta" and I didn't want Atom fans backlashing the thread into digressive debate.

UniOmni
He was tossing blows at him, but Atom was clearly thinking iirc.

Owning would be something like DOS, where even the inner monologue was affected.

IT wasn't like that in Armageddon.

quanchi112

Owning would be something like DOS, where even the inner monologue was affected.

IT wasn't like that in Armageddon. Atom did say that he was killing him though or to something of the same effect.

Digi
But yes, you have a point, and I agree. It was just easier to say he was equal to Atom because all I was going for is "higher than meta" and I didn't want Atom fans backlashing the thread into digressive debate.

IT wasn't like that in Armageddon.

Thus is my foresight justified.

happy

Later chaps. And read the Authority respect thread if you really want to determine his power level for yourself.

Philosophía
Atom fans Do they exist ?

As far as I know, only Red and Batdude are, and they rarely post anymore. Especially Batdude.

Anyway, Supergirl ftw.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.