Pandorum from Paul W. S. Anderson: Genius

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MildPossession
Not really but anyway, he has a new film out later in the year that looks like it will get back to the better quality films he has done like Event Horizon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rissIC4TE

Well produced not directed. It's from the AntiBodies director, but don't know what AntiBodies was like so can't say if it's a good choice of director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/

A group of men who wake up in a darkened space ship with no memory of who they are, why they are there or where they are going. Only when they start investigating the bowels of the ship does it become clear that they are not alone.

It reminds me of the French film Eden Log quite a bit.

Eden Log information:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
Not really but anyway, he has a new film out later in the year that looks like it will get back to the better quality films he has done like Event Horizon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rissIC4TE

Well produced not directed. It's from the AntiBodies director, but don't know what AntiBodies was like so can't say if it's a good choice of director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/

A group of men who wake up in a darkened space ship with no memory of who they are, why they are there or where they are going. Only when they start investigating the bowels of the ship does it become clear that they are not alone.

It reminds me of the French film Eden Log quite a bit.

Eden Log information:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/

I read about this in a magazine.. I may eventually see this

deathbycorn
Antibodies is a top shelf German psychological thriller.

MildPossession
So it's got a decent director then.

deathbycorn
You bet your ass it does! Watch Antibodies if you can.

MildPossession
I have it on my rental queue, just waiting to get it.

The Nuul
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=41441

Plot Summary: From the creators of the "Resident Evil" film franchise comes "Pandorum," a terrifying thriller in which two crew members wake up on an abandoned spacecraft with no idea who they are, how long they've been asleep, or what their mission is. The two soon discover they're actually not alone -- and the reality of their situation is more horrifying than they could have imagined.

Ummm...a for sure renter...the big screen? nah.

Thoughts?

MildPossession
This was just a few topics down...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f88/t504182.html

The Nuul
Ah Crap...

Thanks.

The Nuul
Just saw this...It started of good but when the creatures came along, it went down hill from there and felt silly.

This was a let down for me.

Kazenji
So its a miss then?

jinXed by JaNx
I'd give this one a passing grade. It definitely had it's problems but it also had some good ideas. Even though most of these ideas remain as just ideas some of them are realized and conveyed fairly well on film. I really didn't mind the creatures. I thought they were actually quite interesting and decently designed. They definitely gave the sense of futile doom. The movie does hit a lull during the second half but i was pleased with the ending and thought the monotony paid off ( for the most part). I do have to give some credit to the filmmakers though, I think they did quite a bit with their budget.

It's certainly not great and i really couldn't argue if you call it a, B movie but i think it's a competent sci-fi movie and even though it's forgettable it's worth watching.

MildPossession
I've got it to watch tonight, yay.

Myth
I was disappointed in this movie. I had high expectations due to loving creepy space movies.

Btw, didn't know it was the same director as AntiBodies till now, but that is a much better movie.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Kazenji
So its a miss then?

Aye.

MildPossession
It's nothing original and for most of the first part I was thinking The Descent in space, but apart from that and some of that dodgy camerawork/editing to make someone look crazy, I rather enjoyed the film. Liked the ending too.

Patient_Leech
I saw this for the second time the other day. I kind of agree with some of the sentiments already expressed. I really like the story/premise and the performances aren't bad either, but the direction leaves a lot to be desired. It owes a lot to Sci-Fi movies that preceded it, but all-in-all I think the premise is intriguing enough for me to watch it again and again.

And I've read that it has been conceived as a trilogy, with Pandorum as the middle film. I would certainly like to see the rest of the series completed.

General_Iroh
I agree with what several people said, it starts off very good, but quickly goes downhill. As do a lot of horror films once you see the actual creature. There's just something creepier about knowing something is trying to kill you, but not knowing what. All-in-all this movie felt a lot like a mix between Event Horizon and The Descent. I think it would've ended up being a lot better if it hadn't tried to turn into a borderline action flick about halfway through.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by General_Iroh
I agree with what several people said, it starts off very good, but quickly goes downhill. As do a lot of horror films once you see the actual creature. There's just something creepier about knowing something is trying to kill you, but not knowing what. All-in-all this movie felt a lot like a mix between Event Horizon and The Descent. I think it would've ended up being a lot better if it hadn't tried to turn into a borderline action flick about halfway through.

See, I don't mind that it turned into more of an action flick. Who said it had to be a straight horror movie all the way through? I thought the adventure was fun. Mixing genres can help keep things fresh. I enjoyed all the special make up effects and prosthetics.. and the gigantic ship-creature orgy that the characters had to avoid! haha.. good stuff!

The flaws come in, in the direction and how certain things were filmed, etc. IMO.

Patient_Leech
This is becoming a favorite dark sci-fi film of mine (despite it's flaws). I highly suggest that everyone who is the least bit interested in sci-fi check this out and let me hear your interpretation and help me figure out some of the premise (as well as speculate on what directions they were thinking of going in for the prequel and sequel).

I'm still a little confused as to what's going on with Dennis Quaid's character, but i enjoy watching it again and again and not really knowing for sure what the deal is.. one of these days i'll pay REALLY close attention and figure it out, heh. And the "accelerator" that was supposed to "jump start" evolution seems like it actually mutated everyone and DE-evolved them, cuz they seem to have become more barbaric and to have reverted to more basic instincts.

Very cool premise in my opinion, with some solid ideas. I'd really like to see the finished trilogy, but it's also kind of neat having it left wide open and keeping that all mysterious, because it is a solid stand-alone film.

Tzeentch._
Dennis Quaid's character seemed pretty clear-cut to me.

He basically got Space-Rage-Virus and turned super crazy violent. After going into stasis he got mild amnesia and forgot that he had space-rage-virus dementia for awhile. He remembered and turned super crazy violent.

Anyway, I thought the film was decent, as well as more than a little creepy in certain scenes. That being said, I thought the film turned too "slasher film" predictable near the end.

Esau Cairn
I should give this a 2nd chance viewing. I kinda lost interest & turned it off half way through. For me, it seemed the script writer lost direction & didn't know where to take the movie...

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm still a little confused as to what's going on with Dennis Quaid's character, but i enjoy watching it again and again and not really knowing for sure what the deal is.. one of these days i'll pay REALLY close attention and figure it out, heh. And the "accelerator" that was supposed to "jump start" evolution seems like it actually mutated everyone and DE-evolved them, cuz they seem to have become more barbaric and to have reverted to more basic instincts.

No, it helped them better survive their immediate environment (the ship), from a physical/biological factor. The cannibals you see are the evolved decendents of the first set of crew let loose hundreds of years before by Payton/Gallo.

Them acting like insane cannibals was due to suffering from Pandorum (like a super cabin fewer).

Patient_Leech
Sorry, I wanted to respond sooner, but I have been (and continue to be) rather busy and I was also without internet for a few days. Anyway...

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Dennis Quaid's character seemed pretty clear-cut to me.

He basically got Space-Rage-Virus and turned super crazy violent. After going into stasis he got mild amnesia and forgot that he had space-rage-virus dementia for awhile. He remembered and turned super crazy violent.

Right, but my interpretation was that the guy he's arguing with during the middle part of the film is his younger self/psyche (they seem to imply that the way their arms merge together, and they seem to imply that he was a part of the original crew who developed Pandorum), but in the credits they have different names:

Payton and Gallo.

What the hell's up with that?

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Anyway, I thought the film was decent, as well as more than a little creepy in certain scenes. That being said, I thought the film turned too "slasher film" predictable near the end.

What was "slasher film" about it at the end? (Besides the asian dude fight at the end?) I mean, there were people getting "slashed" throughout the movie, so it didn't suddenly turn into anything different.. *shrug* I found it pretty consistent and satisfying.

Originally posted by Robtard
No, it helped them better survive their immediate environment (the ship), from a physical/biological factor. The cannibals you see are the evolved decendents of the first set of crew let loose hundreds of years before by Payton/Gallo.

Hmm.. that's not the way the chick explained it. I don't think all the cannibals are descendents from the same group of people. I thought they were people awakened who had been given the "accelerator" (perhaps toward the end of their stasis). The chick seemed to imply that that was the case. Not sure if she'd have the wrong idea or what, but she seemed to know what she was talking about. Or maybe I misunderstood her. Anyway, I enjoy watching the film again and again trying to figure it all out... (it's a shame it did poorly at the box office :sad face: )

Robtard
No, they were the descendants of the first to be released, why they changed so drastically from being human. I've only watched it in the theater when it came out and partially a few years later at home, but I'm almost certain I'm correct.

You can also go look-up the synopsis on IMDB, Wiki or various other sites.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'll probably get around to reading more about the plot details eventually...

Did I mention that I think this girl is pretty hot, even though I have no idea how to pronounce her name (Antje Traue)...

http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pandorum-131.jpg

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2009_Pandorum/2009_pandorum_004.jpg

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/12/31/14/12311438_gal.jpg

She is supposed to be in the new Man of Steel movie, which might force me to give at least half a shit about that stupid-ass movie..

Robtard
She's very attractive

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNzc0MjExMTMxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA1NTEwMw@@._V1._SY314_CR10,0,214,314_.jpg

She's playing Faora, a female Kryptonian who despises men except for Zod. Ursa in Superman II was based off her.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
She's playing Faora, a female Kryptonian who despises men except for Zod. Ursa in Superman II was based off her.

Good to know that useless information, sir.

I also really liked Ben Foster in this movie. He's a cool actor. I've only seen him in two or three different movies. I didn't even realize it was the same actor as this dude in The Punisher...

http://i2.listal.com/image/2101543/500full.jpg

Shows that he's got some range as an actor. I mean, you can fault this movie on a number of things, but to me the good out-weighs the bad by a large margin. I find it damn enjoyable.

Esau Cairn
but to me the good out-weighs the bad by a large margin. I find it damn enjoyable.

Compared to WarZone?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Compared to WarZone?

Say whut, bro? You have NOT been making any sense to me lately.. lol. What is Warzone?

Kazenji
Punisher: Warzone

numbnuts.

Patient_Leech
The "numbnuts" is not necessary. What the f#ck does it have to do with Pandorum? Or did he think i was referring to the Thomas Jane Punisher? I wasnt.. was referring to Pandorum again.. my bad.

Robtard
The "numbnuts" is not necessary.

Disagree.

Patient_Leech
Hilarious.

Robtard
Hilarious.

Agreed.

Patient_Leech
At least you amuse yourself.

Robtard
Easy, fella. Easy.

Patient_Leech
C A L M ... D O W N

Don't get a big dick.

Zamiel
Long time lurker. I think the movie is decent and have read the original script. Some of the martial-arts scene were actual afterthoughts that felt out of tone but the f. It's seems that the mix-martial arts was just there to attract fans of Cung Le, I'm sure.

The trailers gave the impression that it was going to be Resident Evil in space with science turning people into cannibal monsters. But that was clearly red herring. As another poster said it was Pandorum that made the creature's ancestors turn to cannibalism. If you look closely at those drawing that explain what happened you'll notice that blood is pouring out of their noses and lightning is appear around their heads suggesting that something abnormal is up with their minds. That infers that the creatures were just doing it all of that out of tradition rather than science going wrong. It seems that the filmmaker were aiming are a puzzle type plot where the audience is to fill in the crucial details.

But the red herring marketing backed fired. Making it look like a generic zombie flick when it's really a mind-screw. Thus a lot of the people who saw it was left confused or misinterpreted the plot as "people turn into mutant zombie".

Has anyone notice that this and Man of Steel are both inspired by "When Worlds Collide"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.