W40K Games that aren't Dawn of War...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raoul
Was browsing last night and came across these bits and pieces. Don't know if they've been posted, but...

First, we have Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

A third person combat game that hasn't actually been announced by THQ as yet, but as you'll see in the vid, its already taking shape. It has both melee and ranged combat, and i honestly don't know what to think about it. After reading this article, and this one, and watching this video:

mbjbbzOrCIg

I dunno. It looks gorgeous, first of all. Second, though, it looks like it could be a very, very repetitive game. Being gory, even satisfyingly so, only has so much appeal before it gets old. IF we get large scale battles, with lots of marines and enemies and you in the middle, then i'd definitely give this a look. Like Dynasty Warriors, but cooler.

Also, yes, it looks like he's an Ultramarine. I know some people hate those, but it doesn't bother me. Maybe they'll have unlockable Chapter armour patterns or something.

Lets hope THQ announces it soon.

Second up, is Warhammer 40k: Online

Yes, they are making one, apparently, for release in 2010.

Official Site (a bit bare)

Articles:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/warhammer-40000-online/a-20080502174245201051

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html

Given the type of games that MMORPG's tend to be, the ability to be a space marine, a tau fire warrior/combat suit, an Imperial Guardsman, a Chaos Marine etc, should be a given. And choosing what chapter i'd get to join? Or maybe even create my own? Speculation of course, but i don't see the harm in it. I'd definitely want to look this up...

BackFire
I heard about the 40k MMO. That could be cool.

Raoul
Originally posted by BackFire
I heard about the 40k MMO. That could be cool.

aye, very much so. though i'm sure i'll be one of the few that picks space marines over chaos, tau or eldar lol...

BackFire
I have a feeling that maybe you won't be able to choose such distinct characters.

Could be you choose a faction - emperium, Ork, Eldar, Chaos, and so on. And you start as a nothing and as you level up maybe you work your way into cool rolls.

Like if you start an Emperium character you start as an imperial guard, and as you level up maybe you can go on to be a space marine and so on.

Who knows though.

Raoul
Originally posted by BackFire
I have a feeling that maybe you won't be able to choose such distinct characters.

Could be you choose a faction - emperium, Ork, Eldar, Chaos, and so on. And you start as a nothing and as you level up maybe you work your way into cool rolls.

Like if you start an Emperium character you start as an imperial guard, and as you level up maybe you can go on to be a space marine and so on.

Who knows though.

yeah, thats very possible.

*cue childish tantrum about wanting to smite the traitor legions now now now!*

Ushgarak
THQ are on shaky finanical ground, remember. Projects could get cut. I think the eventual success or otherwise of Age of Reckoning will have a lot to do with that.

The Space Marine game looks somewhat generic; I rememebr seeing an early vid of it, it all being about customised close combat kills.

Raoul
Originally posted by Ushgarak
THQ are on shaky finanical ground, remember. Projects could get cut. I think the eventual success or otherwise of Age of Reckoning will have a lot to do with that.

The Space Marine game looks somewhat generic; I rememebr seeing an early vid of it, it all being about custo ised close combat kills.

you enjoy being a grey cloud, don't you? uhuh

Ushgarak
Always a good idea to bear in mind all relevant information.

Raoul
Always a good idea to bear in mind all relevant information.

i know. you know. just, and i know this is difficult, try to show some ENTHUSIASM... stick out tongue

Final Blaxican
I dislike the fact that they seem to put an emphasis on using your sword as opposed to a gun in that Space Marine.

Also, it DOES look a lot like Gears of War...

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Raoul
i know. you know. just, and i know this is difficult, try to show some ENTHUSIASM... stick out tongue

It is EXCEPTIONALLY hard for an MMO to raise my enthusiasm.

Raoul
It is EXCEPTIONALLY hard for an MMO to raise my enthusiasm.

even if you got to be a tau battlesuit and battle for the greater good? ha-som

Ushgarak
That'd be great if my fellow Tau Commanders weren't called "Eldarsuxmyballs2210".

Raoul
That'd be great if my fellow Tau Commanders weren't called "Eldarsuxmyballs2210".

laughing

Raoul
IGN's first look at Warhammer 40K: Space Marine:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/987/987127p1.html

Plus the video:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14352257/warhammer-40000-space-marine/videos/spacemarine_trl_battle_52709.html

Looks like fun, imo, as long as they find a way to add some variety (maybe add different classes, and such, like assault marines and heavy gunners).

jalek moye
that got my interest

Kazenji
Need another trailer that one is'nt working now.

-Pr-
aFHKIFDjk9I

Bladewind
I expect both of those games to be good games but I'd say that they'll be horrible 40k games.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Bladewind
I expect both of those games to be good games but I'd say that they'll be horrible 40k games. I'd say the other way around. The gameplay looks like the most generic God of War-esque shit ever.

Bladewind
People play that "shit" so why would the developers care? But if you compare gameplay to what you know about the 40k universe you'll see what I mean.

Phanteros
dmtjxZB6oaM

B9Fdoe6jeEU

Them chaos Marines are up to no good again.

-Pr-
Looks good. It's a game i'll definitely be looking up...

-Pr-
SdCBO0mzF1Q

Want want want want want.

Phanteros
urB2vDmfHfE

-Pr-
Yeah, I can't wait for this. Definitely getting space marine.

jalek moye
Played the demo earlier. It's really fun definite buy for me. Also it's more challenging then i thought, I was worried it would be too easy.

-Pr-
Finally got to play the demo last night. I have to say it's shaping up better than i'd expected, and the game was a lot of fun to play. I'm not sure how the "kill enemies to get health" mechanic will work against bosses and the like, but very encouraging so far. Smooth combat, nice variety of weapons, and above all, i really think they've gotten the "feel" of the game down damn near perfect.

NemeBro
This is pretty good news, was worried it would be too easy.

My wireless router has been shot to shit so I just wanna ask, is your Marine as sluggish as he appeared to be in the trailers?

jalek moye
In combat he isn't sluggish at all, he does run funny/awkward though when you sprint.

Originally posted by NemeBro
This is pretty good news, was worried it would be too easy.

My wireless router has been shot to shit so I just wanna ask, is your Marine as sluggish as he appeared to be in the trailers? He's sluggish for a space marine, imo. At least going by the codex and novels depictions of them being able to land five blows with their sword in a second and bullet dodging and stuff. They move with the same speed as the characters in Gears of War, for example.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
He's sluggish for a space marine, imo. At least going by the codex and novels depictions of them being able to land five blows with their sword in a second and bullet dodging and stuff. They move with the same speed as the characters in Gears of War, for example. Meh, figured that would be the case.

Admittedly, the idea of a Marine being fast is hard to imagine due to their sheer bulk, but the fluff makes it clear their reflexes and footspeed are easily superior to a human's.

jalek moye
Imo it has the proper feel down for the game, taking on so many large groups makes him feel like hes faster than them all.

But I have a feeling the game is going to have the space marines as just your standard human hero soldiers.

-Pr-
I didn't find it necessarily sluggish; but yeah, they aren't as fast as they'd be in the fluff. It's still a decent pace imo.

One thing I did like though; it is a 3rd person shooter/action game, but unlike a lot of others, just button mashing won't actually get the job done. you have to use combos against mobs that actually have strong finishes, and firing a full bolter clip at some enemies simply won't kill them. you actually have to adjust your tactics to suit each situation.

How did people find the jump-pack level? At first i found it a little awkward, but once i got the hang of it i was raining death from the sky, like a proper space marine should.

jalek moye
Pretty much same as you, awkward at first but warmed up on me.

-Pr-
I have to say after playing a bit more that the game really does make you feel lika a badass on a regular basis. sync kills, even the power of the guns; all badass.

jalek moye
Indeed, hope the co-op is just as good.

-Pr-
For those oif you planning to get this game on PC, i have to admit i'm absolutely amazed at how there are already mods being made (some even released for the demo):

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?262044-Space-Marine-Custom-Titus-Skins-No-Hud-Addon

people have even released mod-tools.

NemeBro
Do want Black Templar pack.

Only thing that would be better would be some Traitor Marine skins, particularly a Thousand Sons pack.

Mah favorite Legion.

Though as far as I know there are no Librarians in this game.

Bladewind
Even though Space Marine looks awesome, I'm not sure about it. I mean, the CSM are supposed to be your equal but in the very same vid that one of the devs says so, he easily dispatches said enemy...

If a single CSM was your equal, how are you supposed to realistically survive against twenty of them?

Obvs, for the sake of gameplay, fluff has to take a back seat.

-Pr-
maybe the CSM squads are smaller. it seems like its only the fiery guys that attack you in groups, from what i saw.

NemeBro
Uh, Bloodletters are even better in melee than Chaos Space Marines, so yeah.

If a single CSM was your equal, how are you supposed to realistically survive against twenty of them?

Obvs, for the sake of gameplay, fluff has to take a back seat. Well, what rank is the PC in this game?

Since certain Space Marines can be worth much more than a single Mehreen.

Draigo for instance is better than the entire Imperium.

He's a captain, a little older than 150.

Bladewind

Obvs, for the sake of gameplay, fluff has to take a back seat.

But why tell us that the CSM is our equal when he actually isn't?

NemeBro
He's a captain, a little older than 150. Yeah.

Captains are exceptional Marines to a man, in both shooting and close combat.

A captain taking out a squad of Marines is within the realm of possibility.

Admittedly, that's pretty young for a captain, though that may just speak volumes of his capabilities.

jalek moye

because it is the equal in the fluff/story of the table top game. but in a video game gameplay mechanics have to change ignore certain things.

-Pr-
Uh, Bloodletters are even better in melee than Chaos Space Marines, so yeah.

Well, what rank is the PC in this game?

Since certain Space Marines can be worth much more than a single Mehreen.

Draigo for instance is better than the entire Imperium.

and csm are primarily ranged, so it works out imo.

they are, but we're not playing as a standard space marine; we're playing as a captain. there's a difference there.

Bladewind
Yeah, I forgot about the captain part.

jalek moye
Co-op info

-Pr-
Originally posted by jalek moye
Co-op info

Interesting. Shame I'm gonna be playing it on PC.

this is out on monday... can't wait.

jalek moye
Got the game this morning, having fun so far although the multiplayer takes a bit to get used to.

thanos-prime
got it this morning fun game my only problem is that the multiplayer takes forever to load up a game.

jalek moye
What you playing on? I've been getting matches pretty quickly or are you talking about the time before a new one starts?

thanos-prime
What you playing on? I've been getting matches pretty quickly or are you talking about the time before a new one starts? Im talking about finding a potential match to join it takes forever.

jalek moye
Originally posted by thanos-prime
Im talking about finding a potential match to join it takes forever.
Doesn't take long for me and my friend on 360

thanos-prime
Doesn't take long for me and my friend on 360 Well i assumed it was due to how many people were playing at the time but it's going faster now. Anyway how do you like the Multiplayer so far?

jalek moye
was hard to get used to at first but now I find it fun if a little hectic. (which works for this game)

only problem is the limited amount of modes. Hell even a free for all mode would have been nice

thanos-prime
was hard to get used to at first but now I find it fun if a little hectic. (which works for this game)

only problem is the limited amount of modes. Hell even a free for all mode would have been nice My biggest problem seems to be killing opponents short of melee it takes a clip+ with all of the weapons i have to kill
people.

jalek moye
You getting headshots? And what level are you?

thanos-prime
You getting headshots? And what level are you? Not really. four.

jalek moye
Headshots drop enemies a lot faster especially when the armor breaks. Also the default gun of the Devastator is really powerful when you mount it.

Bladewind
How's the customization? It looked fabulous but I'd like your opinions please.

jalek moye
good amount of armor options to mix and match along with color schemes you can put up with different ones having different possible patterns. i think they over hyped it some but still it's very good. My only complaint is that you can only set one up as active for each race at a time. I can't like set up a certain look with a certain class or load out.

Also Lol at fewer than 100 imperial guard infantry taking on over a million orkz

NemeBro
Also Lol at fewer than 100 imperial guard infantry taking on over a million orkz Did they have fortified defenses?

Good fortification makes a huge difference when defending from an army.

jalek moye
Yes and no, in certain spots they did but most of he fighting was done out of it against a waagh with ships, vehicles, and some giant death cannon.

Sounds true to the fluff. Especially if those guardsmen are Tanith. shifty

FinalAnswer
Yeah, plot armor is a formidable force indeed.

-Pr-
Anyone play this on PC? I'm not very good, but i do play it. Am currently level 5.

Burning thought
Yes, I am recently level 4. Just started MP today and at first thought it seemed OP that much higher level players were flying about with better perks and hammers or using higher grade weapons but I got a few good ratios eventually, you just seem to have to be a bit more patient and sneakier when your playing against more powerful foes.

Also, the Campaign to Space marine was imo one of the best I have played this year, most enjoyable.

-Pr-
Did you copy their loadouts much? You can really have some fun with that.

btw, for anyone interested, my steam ID is:

pr1983

anyone who wants to add me or join up for games at some point, lemme know.

i'm currently level 16 (i think), and starting to get some good ratios myself. not awesome ones, but respectable ones.

Burning thought
Another thing I liked was that leveling is quite quick, its not something your going to spend days doing just to get to the level of other players. 1 afternoon or night of play (from about 9pm-12pm+? 10 levels and ive been only playing annhilate, I was told capture can give you more xp.

What classes and weapons do you guys usually use?

-Pr-
10 levels in three hours? Yeesh. I'm not that level yet, though I have been playing with a controller, not keyboard and mouse, which would probably suit my style of play more.

My loadout tends to depend on the map, though I've been using Assault Marines/Raptors a lot more lately.

For the Manifactorum, I go Devastator/Havoc with a Lascannon. Sniper city.
With the sewer one, usually a Tac with a bolter and melta, or a devastator with a heavy bolter.
For the hab center, i generally go assault with a power axe and plasma pistol or a tac with stalker bolter and plasma gun.
basilica is just whatever i feel like at the time.

I think that's it...

Burning thought
Nice, it seems to me the Plasma cannon is amazingly powerful. It can blow up a lot of people with its charged shot over long range. I have bene using predominatly devastator with either bolter or las cannon. Being able to one shot someone with the las cannon is always nice and its even a decent medium range hip weapon considering its power.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Burning thought
Nice, it seems to me the Plasma cannon is amazingly powerful. It can blow up a lot of people with its charged shot over long range. I have bene using predominatly devastator with either bolter or las cannon. Being able to one shot someone with the las cannon is always nice and its even a decent medium range hip weapon considering its power.

yeah. even with max armour, it seems most people can't take more than two shots with a lascannon. hell, i've killed people with one before.i haven't unlocked the plasma cannon yet, but given that it's my favourite 40k weapon, as soon as i do i'll be using it A LOT.

-Pr-
Okay, so in the last couple of days I have both reached level 20 in multiplayer (yay me) and finished campaign on easy mode (and am now playing it on normal).

As far as MP goes, still lots of fun, and hoping to start tearing shit up with my plasma cannon.

Single player... In a word: Awesome.

Some might feel like it's repetitive at times, and It is, but every time I started to feel like that, some set piece would come along to make me love playing the game again. The execution kills are awesome, and there are definite times when you feel like a badass. For instance, I had been having trouble killing the Nobz at first, and then at one point I got the Thunder Hammer for my charrie. So the next time I run in to a Nob (ha!), I'm standing there holding the biggest hammer you've ever seen, and I just thought to myself "yeah, you're f*cked".

And i proceeded to cave his head in. There were many similar instances over the course of the game, and was well worth time spent imo.

Burning thought
Indeed, the hammer makes such a big difference, especially with the assault pack. Nobs, chaos etc do not have a chance but you cannot use your larger weapons so I did see some events where I traded in for a power axe.

I also reached 20 but I am struggling to find games now, 9/10 games are so laggy because the match making system does not take into account countries and being in the UK I end up with all sorts of people, the game is then unplayable. I think of the plasma cannon like a medium range artillery.

The more I play space marine, the more I wish you could do a combined genre game of Dawn of war and Space marine, I would love to run around on the battlefield amongst hundreds of player controlled units and buildings but I guess thats not likely to happen.

-Pr-
I ended up keeping the thunder hammer for large portions, but against some of the chaos mobs they pretty much make you use ranged weapons, so i soon traded it in.

I'm in Canada so i haven't had too much trouble. I'd say only... One out of every ten games is laggy when I play. They are supposedly working on the issues, so hopefully the patch when it does come out will be good.

there's always the sequel.

campain spoiler: though i did like the mission towards the end where you're on the bridge with the blood ravens and the ultramarines. that was pretty sweet; it was nice to have backup for once

Burning thought
Certainly, its also nice to see the other chapters, I thought the fight with the Deamon prince could of been more interesting than him just falling while you beat him in the fact but they probably worked with what they had, I doubt one captain with a chainsword could take out a Deamon prince but who knows, shit happens. Maybe having just been tranformed means hes new to the power and cannot use it so much, afaik in lore it can take hundreds if not thousands to take one on

-Pr-
Certainly, its also nice to see the other chapters, I thought the fight with the Deamon prince could of been more interesting than him just falling while you beat him in the fact but they probably worked with what they had, I doubt one captain with a chainsword could take out a Deamon prince but who knows, shit happens. Maybe having just been tranformed means hes new to the power and cannot use it so much, afaik in lore it can take hundreds if not thousands to take one on

or a chaplain with a thunder hammer. stick out tongue

i think, though, that his transformation being so new like you said, plus titus' resistance to chaos magic (which in fairness is a massive amp and takes away one of Nemeroth's best features), made him vulnerable. that, and no chaos portal to power him. still, i have to say i loved the fact that titus was so nonsense about it, just wailing on him. "how did you beat the chaos prince?" "well, i punched him in the face. repeatedly". love it.

sure, they could have done more, but i was happy enough with it as is.

i'm sure they'll elaborate more in later games in the series (which i sincerely hope there will be). and of course we can expect more from those games too.

jalek moye
I felt the Warboss end of the fight should have been something like what they did with Nemeroth actually would have fit.

-Pr-
I felt the Warboss end of the fight should have been something like what they did with Nemeroth actually would have fit.

Agreed. Fighting the warboss, when i knocked him down i was kinda like "so what do i do now?"

also, getting perks with the bolter is ****ing hard. i wish private games had bots, then i might be able to do somewhat better.

-Pr-
FOR THE EMPEROR!

Seriously though, there've been some sweet mods brought out for this over the last few days. I've been using a heavy bolter and a power sword in campaign, and they ROCK.

ScreamPaste
Gonna look into the mods now, just beat the game. Still sustaining my erection.

Waitwhat?

-Pr-
Forum for best mods that i've found:

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?296-The-Forgeworld-Space-Marine-Modding

--

multiplayer has at this point just become unplayable for me. I'm just not the kind of player who can get several thousand points every round (though i do have my good days), so i'm left to wait and hope that exterminatus will help me progress a little easier.

ScreamPaste
The one thing about multiplayer I hate... Is storm bolters. That's really it. Other than that it's great, lol. Even melta guns aren't so bad to be against. But **** storm bolters. no expression

Otherwise, love it.

Phanteros
So I guess this takes place in the Dawn of War universe due to the appearence of Blood Ravens. Sadden that Gabriel nor Appolo made an appearence. But atleast the world got to see the glory of the Black Templars.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Phanteros
So I guess this takes place in the Dawn of War universe due to the appearence of Blood Ravens. Sadden that Gabriel nor Appolo made an appearence. But atleast the world got to see the glory of the Black Templars.

The Dawn Of War universe is the same as the fluff one, iirc.

they were pretty sweet.

Relic's stated that Space Marine isn't canon. It's some kind of "parallel universe" thing.

-Pr-
Relic's stated that Space Marine isn't canon. It's some kind of "parallel universe" thing.

Oh ok.

NemeBro
Relic's stated that Space Marine isn't canon. It's some kind of "parallel universe" thing. Which is lame as hell, by the way.

I have nothing but apathy for the Ultrasmurphs. So it doesn't mean much, imo.

-Pr-
I don't mind the ultramarines, but they aren't my favourite chapter. I just keep hoping we get this exterminatus mode soon.

i wonder if it'll have the aim assist from single player...

NemeBro
I have nothing but apathy for the Ultrasmurphs. So it doesn't mean much, imo. Titus makes them awesome.

ares834

Meh... That's lame.

Anyway, I'm hoping in the next game we get to play as Chaos Space Marines or Eldar.

The Scenario
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
The one thing about multiplayer I hate... Is storm bolters. That's really it. Other than that it's great, lol. Even melta guns aren't so bad to be against. But **** storm bolters. no expression

Otherwise, love it.

Really? I haven't had much chance to play multiplayer (since I played primarily at a friend's house) but in the campaign I've found that the storm bolter is terrible against an opponent with any kind of armor. The kraken bolter takes out Chaos Marines faster for me.

-Pr-
If used right, the stormbolter is an absolute monster at close to mid-range.

ares834
Warhammer 40K: WAAAGH!!!

This needs to be made.

-Pr-
If there's a sequel, i'd be very surprised if they didn't make Orks playable somehow.

Burning thought
it should have some limited control of numerous forces so that you get the feel of a "horde" unless you actually play as the warboss yourself which would be cool.

Gecko4lif
Hows that wh4ok mmo coming?

-Pr-
it should have some limited control of numerous forces so that you get the feel of a "horde" unless you actually play as the warboss yourself which would be cool.

Maybe.

Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Hows that wh4ok mmo coming?

2013, apparently.

CadoAngelus
'Level 16: Spire of Madness - Defeat Chaos Lord Nemeroth in single combat.'

Does Nemeroth know what single combat means? Because I'm pretty sure single combat means that you don't get to throw your chaos daemons at me while you transform into a daemon prince...

-Pr-
Originally posted by CadoAngelus

Does Nemeroth know what single combat means? Because I'm pretty sure single combat means that you don't get to throw your chaos daemons at me while you transform into a daemon prince...

laughing out loud

Having fun are we?

BTW, for anyone interested, the Exterminatus mode comes out on the 25th of this month.

NemeBro

Does Nemeroth know what single combat means? Because I'm pretty sure single combat means that you don't get to throw your chaos daemons at me while you transform into a daemon prince... ****ing Chaos Champions and their bullshit man.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by -Pr-
laughing out loud

Having fun are we?

BTW, for anyone interested, the Exterminatus mode comes out on the 25th of this month.
Managed to defeat him eventually, but I had a ton of trouble at one part and I hated the fact that you have to restart the entire fight when you die, however when you fight Warboss Grimskull, when you get to a certain part, it autosaved...

Exterminatus seems quite an interesting idea...could be fun

****ing Chaos Champions and their bullshit man.
Too true...way too true to be cool.

I know they're Traiters and all, but they could at least show some decorum...

-Pr-
How did you like the part where you actually "fought" Nemeroth?

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by -Pr-
How did you like the part where you actually "fought" Nemeroth?

Oh you mean the "The Force Unleashed II" style fight that's not a fight, but a serious of timed-events and analogue stick wabbling. Yeah, that was...okay I guess

-Pr-
Oh you mean the "The Force Unleashed II" style fight that's not a fight, but a serious of timed-events and analogue stick wabbling. Yeah, that was...okay I guess

lol yeah, I thought the same...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.