Any students of Wing Chun?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cloud102
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun

Was thinking of finding a place near me that teaches this. How effective is this martial art?

Rogue Jedi
I have been studying it for 20 years, it is very effective.

Bardock42
Shouldn't you be a super grand master of awesome by now then? no expression

Rogue Jedi
Mhm....A regular Bob Lee Swagger I am.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Mhm....A regular Bob Lee Swagger I am.
Fictional? hmm

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, like totally. Red pill or blue?

Bardock42
Yeah, like totally. Red pill or blue?

How philosophical shock

Rogue Jedi
Never been called that before.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by cloud102

Was thinking of finding a place near me that teaches this. How effective is this martial art?

I did this in my youth and it is one of the actual martial arts which is VERY effective, even in confined spaces unlike Taekwondo for example.

give it a try, its well worth it.

jalek moye
Its very effective if you take the time to learn it properly and apply it.

BruceSkywalker

Wing Chun is one of several and very effective martial arts to learn..

if you are serious and very dedicated then find a dojo and learn

cloud102
Thanks guys. Found only one in my area, San Jose.

Rogue Jedi
Use the force, *****.

Robtard

If you want to learn a martial art just so you can say "I know a martial art with a neat sounding Asian name", then proceed by all means.

If you want to learn a martial art for the purposes of defending yourself and possibly a good workout, learn Muay Thai or Jujutsu.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Robtard
If you want to learn a martial art just so you can say "I know a martial art with a neat sounding Asian name", then proceed by all means.

If you want to learn a martial art for the purposes of defending yourself and possibly a good workout, learn Muay Thai or Jujutsu.

Or boxing or police self defense which are much more practical.

Rogue Jedi

If you want to learn a martial art for the purposes of defending yourself and possibly a good workout, learn Muay Thai or Jujutsu. fook yoo.

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Or boxing or police self defense which are much more practical.

Fine.

Edit: Neither of those having neat sounding Asian names.

Bardock42

If you want to learn a martial art for the purposes of defending yourself and possibly a good workout, learn Muay Thai or Jujutsu. Wing Chun is supposedly really good.

But just reading about stuff, I think Krav Maga is just really the most awesomely awesome one for defending yourself.

The problem of course is for outsiders the practitioners always talk up their choice of martial art.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Wing Chun is supposedly really good.

But just reading about stuff, I think Krav Maga is just really the most awesomely awesome one for defending yourself.

The problem of course is for outsiders the practitioners always talk up their choice of martial art.

While I agree, I doubt the guy could or wants to join the Israeli Special Forces.

Bardock42
While I agree, I doubt the guy could or wants to join the Israeli Special Forces. They do teach it in various locations. The israeli army just adopted it, I believe, they didn't develop it.

Robtard
They do teach it in various locations.

The israeli army just adopted it, I believe, they didn't develop it.

Didn't know that.

It was developed by a Jewish Czech who fled to Israel back in the day (you know the one), I believe. So this is something you Germans can't blame the Jews with stealing.

edit: There's a school in San Francisco, about 15-20 miles North of me. Maybe I'll sigh-up.

Rogue Jedi
That shit looks pretty effective:

http://www.kravmagadfw.com/index.htm

BruceSkywalker
That shit looks pretty effective:

http://www.kravmagadfw.com/index.htm

I am thinking about studying Krav Maga

inimalist
yes, krav maga is the absolute bomb

Jack Daniels
wing ching is a restaurant isnt it? Edit: sorry misread the name

Rogue Jedi
Wang Chung is horrid.

Final Blaxican
edit: There's a school in San Francisco, about 15-20 miles North of me. Maybe I'll sigh-up.

Let's enroll together! eek!

Jack Daniels
Wang Chung is horrid.
I think it was wing chan maybe???..like second or third time I ate duck...it wasnt wang it was wing chung or ching chun chan something like that..I am not great with chinese although I believe if I had to learn another language that would be it b4 they buy us all out...they keep on they will own all of our debts..lol

Robtard
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Let's enroll together! eek!

Let me call them, curious to see what the cost is. Would also have to find time in my schedule.

StyleTime
Wing Chun is supposedly really good.

If by that, you mean the exact opposite then you are correct sir.

It depends on your goals. There are several styles probably more effective if you'd like to defend yourself. If you just want to look cool, there are still several more that will probably serve you better.

Final Blaxican
Let me call them, curious to see what the cost is. Would also have to find time in my schedule.

There's a free first class, I dunno if you're looking at the same dojo I'm looking at though.

Mine is on Bush Street.

KingD19
I take several forms of martial arts, Capoeira, Krav Maga, Hung Gar, Muay Thai, and Mantis style kung fu. All of them are extremely effective, Capoeira even more so because people won't expect you to hit them while flipping around, then you do a simple spin kick.
Krav is just awesome
Muay Thai/Hung Gar hit hard and fast, and can be used relatively easily in small spaces
And Mantis has so many throws, grabs, and moves to use your opponents momentum against them, it's ridiculous.

leonheartmm
wing chun+tai chi+aikido+jujitsu+pressure point fighting+okinawan karate+body hardening+aerial gymnastics = ultimate unarmed combatant.

UKR
I have been studying it for 20 years, it is very effective.

Heh, internet tough guy.

Robtard
Originally posted by KingD19
I take several forms of martial arts, Capoeira, Krav Maga, Hung Gar, Muay Thai, and Mantis style kung fu. All of them are extremely effective, Capoeira even more so because people won't expect you to hit them while flipping around, then you do a simple spin kick.
Krav is just awesome
Muay Thai/Hung Gar hit hard and fast, and can be used relatively easily in small spaces
And Mantis has so many throws, grabs, and moves to use your opponents momentum against them, it's ridiculous.

Batman, that you?

Robtard
Originally posted by leonheartmm
wing chun+tai chi+aikido+jujitsu+pressure point fighting+okinawan karate+body hardening+aerial gymnastics = ultimate unarmed combatant.

You know what trumps that, dirty figthing. Feigning timid+kick to the balls+eye gouge+head-butt to the nose bridge+grab whatever happens to be closest and smash the tosser over the head with it.

leonheartmm
^okinawan karate has all of those i beleive smile

KingD19
Nope, wish I was Batman without the latex suit and the affinity for young boys. I just had many opportunities to study growing up. My father taught Mantis style, and many of his friends who visited our studio also taught their own forms, I took any chance I could get to learn.

inimalist
I've always though Krav, Muai, Savate would be a lethal combo, with some Brazilian (Gracie) Ju Jitsu (which they teach in Toronto!!!!).

KingD19
I imagine it would, you've got a lot of pressure strikes to vital areas, hard hits and throws, muay thai and savate have some hard hitting leg moves, and once their on the ground, the Ju Jitsu comes into play. you've basically got a contingency for every fighting style.

inimalist
lol, and super long legs wink

KingD19
That helps.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
There's a free first class, I dunno if you're looking at the same dojo I'm looking at though.

Mine is on Bush Street. There's only one in the San Francisco area, I think...

Robtard
There's only one in the San Francisco area, I think...

Correct, but they don't serve the colored; don't know how I'm going to break the news to Final Blaxican.

Bardock42
Correct, but they don't serve the colored; don't know how I'm going to break the news to Final Blaxican.

Well, he's probably used to it.

Robtard
Well, he's probably used to it.

How can you be so obtuse?

Bardock42
How can you be so obtuse? Practice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.