Superman vs. Gladiator range of captabilities Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fangirl101
So Someone stated that Supers and Glads are equal.

Let us put it to the test.

Let's see who actually is more versatile, has superior feats, and uses their powers most effectively.

Let me begin.

Superman can use super whistling. can Glads do that?

Enyalus
I somehow doubt it...he also can't hit the high notes Kal can.

fangirl101
Originally posted by Enyalus
I somehow doubt it...he also can't hit the high notes Kal can.
So then Superman uses his superspeed to to create static lightning capable of sealing dimensional rifts. has Glads EVER done anything remotely close to that?

Allankles
Originally posted by fangirl101
So then Superman uses his superspeed to to create static lightning capable of sealing dimensional rifts. has Glads EVER done anything remotely close to that?

Or using his freeze breath to create lightning/stroms.

He's more creative than Glads, which is understandable he's a scientist from a family of scientists.

fangirl101
Originally posted by Allankles
Or using his freeze breath to create lightning/stroms.

He's more creative than Glads, which is understandable he's a scientist from a family of scientists.

He also can use the infinite mass punch. Only one other character I know can do that.

Naija boy
Supes is slightly more versatile(tvo), obviously has more feats and uses his powers more effectively ( he has a thousand times the appearances glads does, he obviously would have used his powers in more ways)

End of thread.

fangirl101
Originally posted by Naija boy
Supes is slightly more versatile(tvo), obviously has more feats and uses his powers more effectively ( he has a thousand times the appearances glads does, he obviously would have used his powers in more ways)

End of thread.

Silver surfer has LESS appearances than Superman. And is still clearly superior.

The thread isn't ended. -

xJLxKing
In my opinion, Superman is stronger, and more versatile. He has feats to back him up as well. Superman also has more experience fighting different kind of foes. I also see Superman more creative. Just like Naija boy said, he has more appearances

Starscream M
So Someone stated that Supers and Glads are equal.

Let us put it to the test.

Let's see who actually is more versatile, has superior feats, and uses their powers most effectively.

Let me begin.

Superman can use super whistling. can Glads do that? glads can keep his hair in a mohawk through thick and thin, can superman do that?

Mindset
Gladiator was actually the first person to ever whistle and he taught Superman how to do it.

Starscream M
Silver surfer has LESS appearances than Superman. And is still clearly superior.

The thread isn't ended. - silver surfer still has 1000x the appearances that gladiator has

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Mindset
Gladiator was actually the first person to ever whistle and he taught Superman how to do it.
Superman was the first Superhero and he taught Glad how to be a boy scout.

Starscream M
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Superman was the first Superhero and he taught Glad how to be a boy scout. supes did a shitty job then, cuz Glad ain't no boy scout

Mindset
Gladiator isn't a boy scout, he is a man.

The first hero was actually Kyle Rayner.

fangirl101
Derailing the thread will cause me to use the report button.

Starscream M
Derailing the thread will cause me to use the report button. oh, I didn't think this thread was serious...how could glad beat superman in a feat war?!

superman has more appearances in a week than glads in his entire career

Naija boy

The thread isn't ended. -

Silver surfer wasnt modelled after superman and so doesnt have the same basic powerset as he does. He is therefore irrelevant here. The only reason this thread was made in the first place was to place the superman lite against the real thing. And obviously with supermans exponentially greater number of appearances he would have accomplished more with his powerset than glads would have with that same powerset. End of story.

Hyperion Prime
Derailing the thread will cause me to use the report button.

roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) Wow just Wow!!!
Give me that filiet fish give me that fish!!!! eek!

darthgoober
Silver surfer wasnt modelled after superman and so doesnt have the same basic powerset as he does. He is therefore irrelevant here. The only reason this thread was made in the first place was to place the superman lite against the real thing. And obviously with supermans exponentially greater number of appearances he would have accomplished more with his powerset than glads would have with that same powerset. End of story.
For real... hey by way of feats, who do you think would win between Firelord and every "no name" GL simultaneously...

...Yeah I know I took it a little far there to make the point, but you know what I was getting at.

fangirl101

Hmm. Seems Supergirl has the same basic powerset as superman and so does powergirl. And they both have numberous appearances but for some strange reason they can't use thier powers like superman either. Wonder why that is? If all one needs is superman's basic power set and a bunch of appearances.

UKR
Going by some showings it can sure be said that Superman is more versatile. In terms of raw power, Gladiator however should far outpace him. IIRC he has destroyed a planet, smashed Wonder Man into the core of a planet, etc. At his classic levels Gladiator was certainly "pre-Crisis" or in that sort of area. And I believe he once did pretty well against Ego and SS, I don't think Superman would stand a chance against either of those two at all. In a fight Gladiator would win, in a circumstance that requires something other than combat (like the aforementioned things with lightning storms, black holes, etc) Superman would win.

fangirl101
Originally posted by UKR
Going by some showings it can sure be said that Superman is more versatile. In terms of raw power, Gladiator however should far outpace him. IIRC he has destroyed a planet, smashed Wonder Man into the core of a planet, etc. At his classic levels Gladiator was certainly "pre-Crisis" or in that sort of area. And I believe he once did pretty well against Ego and SS, I don't think Superman would stand a chance against either of those two at all. In a fight Gladiator would win, in a circumstance that requires something other than combat (like the aforementioned things with lightning storms, black holes, etc) Superman would win.
Superman has smashed celestial bodies. with one hit. Glads smashed a planet of unknown size with a few hits. So that makes glads superior how?

Superman has flown from vega to earth in a few panels. Glads certainly isn't faster than that.

So what feats does glads have that put him at a raw power advantage of Superman?

Oh and Superman smashed Protex into the core of the earth. So um yeah.

Naija boy
Hmm. Seems Supergirl has the same basic powerset as superman and so does powergirl. And they both have numberous appearances but for some strange reason they can't use thier powers like superman either. Wonder why that is? If all one needs is superman's basic power set and a bunch of appearances.

Seriously? Supergirl and powergirl compared to superman arent even main characters. They havent been in even half of the story lines and plot driven situations superman has been put in, in order to advance his character. Scratch that, put together they havent been in even 1/4 of them. If glads had been a main character and not one who appears a few times a year, then maybe ud have a case. As it stands now its quite pointless to try to compare glads and supermans use of their powers when superman has been in a million more comics and is the star of his company while glads is a character who appears in the odd storyline here or there.

Enyalus
when superman has been in a million more comics and is the star of his company while glads is a character who appears in the odd storyline here or there.

About 5100 comics to roughly 130 comics, yeah....

fangirl101
Seriously? Supergirl and powergirl compared to superman arent even main characters. They havent been in even half of the story lines and plot driven situations superman has been put in, in order to advance his character. Scratch that, put together they havent been in even 1/4 of them. If glads had been a main character and not one who appears a few times a year, then maybe ud have a case. As it stands now its quite pointless to try to compare glads and supermans use of their powers when superman has been in a million more comics and is the star of his company while glads is a character who appears in the odd storyline here or there.
Well then how does one come up with a conclusion that Glads is any where near as powerful or effective as Superman when he doesn't have the feats to back that up?

Naija boy

Heh. Whered u check that on comicvine?

fangirl101
Thanos also appears less than Superman. But I can tell that he's far more versatile and Superior to Superman. So if glads is suppposed to be superior as people say, how come I can't see that?

psycho gundam
this thread is full of butt hurt.

Enyalus
Heh. Whered u check that on comicvine?
No. I have a photographic memory and went through Avlon's collection. Obviously.
Thanos also appears less than Superman. But I can tell that he's far more versatile and Superior to Superman. So if glads is suppposed to be superior as people say, how come I can't see that?
I never said Supes and Gladiator were equals. In a separate thread, the "Supes with Earth on the line vs. Gladiator with the Shi'ar Empire on the line" thread I think it was, I said that standard Superman is consistantly above standard Gladiator. FC Gladiator though, I believe, is superior to current Supes. And even Allankles backed that up as reasonable (and agreed).

So, I'm not defending Gladiator in this thread at all. Was just pointing out something to Naija.

Down, girl.

Naija boy
Well then how does one come up with a conclusion that Glads is any where near as powerful or effective as Superman when he doesn't have the feats to back that up?

Anywhere near as powerful as in is he on that level? Yes certainly. As effective in usage of his abilities? No certainly not. The few feats glads does have definitely put him on the general "superman level". Meaning he can match up well against superman and similar characters of that level (note this is without taking into account weaknesses against particular powersets etc.) Obviously however in a comparison of who is more effective in using their powers superman would win as he has way more material to work with.

fangirl101
No. I have a photographic memory and went through Avlon's collection. Obviously.

I never said Supes and Gladiator were equals. In a separate thread, the "Supes with Earth on the line vs. Gladiator with the Shi'ar Empire on the line" thread I think it was, I said that standard Superman is consistantly above standard Gladiator. FC Gladiator though, I believe, is superior to current Supes. And even Allankles backed that up as reasonable (and agreed).

So, I'm not defending Gladiator in this thread at all. Was just pointing out something to Naija.

Down, girl.
I do not agree.
Gladiator is a warrior and fights to the best of his abilities.
Superman is generally known to pull his punches unless he's mind controlled. then he's all power with no finesse.

Superman not holding back vs. Full Confidence Gladiator has Glads on the losing end. He's never really even out muscled any top tier. The only way he really even beats Thor is with speed.

roughrider
Does this debate matter at all? - They are the same being, in two different dimensions. Gladiator was created as a company in-joke; he's as much an analogue as Hyperion (whom he defeated in combat.)

Allankles

FC Gladiator though, I believe, is superior to current Supes. And even Allankles backed that up as reasonable (and agreed).

Ehh? confused I said, FC Glads is superior to current Supes? Must have been a while ago.

Enyalus
Ehh? confused I said, FC Glads is superior to current Supes? Must have been a while ago.

Before him pulling Earth w/ Hal's help and KOing himself on the moon, after him lifting the Monitor's book with help, yeah.

Whatever lol.

fangirl101
Before him pulling Earth w/ Hal's help and KOing himself on the moon, after him lifting the Monitor's book with help, yeah.

Whatever lol.

Hal did provide the harness. Superman was the horse.

HE ko'd himself on a Dark energy moon that was moving in excess of some thousands of miles per second. Did you miss that?

And the monitor's book had infinite mass. With help, it's still infinite mass. Similiar to the spectre's weight. Which Superman also helped lift.

Enyalus
Monitor's book was never stated to have infinite mass, FG. Speculation on your part.

fangirl101
Monitor's book was never stated to have infinite mass, FG. Speculation on your part.
Infinite pages=infnite mass. unless each page weighted Nothing.

Naija boy
Hmm wasnt the spectre's supposed infinite weight being supported by a moon ( i seem to remeber him landing on a moon or something similar). that in itself tells us the real concept of mass wasnt being used.

Mindset
How much does 10 years weigh?

How much does a billion?

How much does an eternity weigh?

Enyalus
Infinite pages=infnite mass. unless each page weighted Nothing.

Infinite pages in a finite space = impossible. I'm supposed to jump to the conclusion of something that's logical when the very concept of it is illogical?

fangirl101
Infinite pages in a finite space = impossible. I'm supposed to jump to the conclusion of something that's logical when the very concept of it is illogical?
I saw a force field around the book. I took it to mean some sort of dimensional rift to contain said pages. Glads also flew towards the earth at 100 times the speed of light without destroying the solar system or the earth's atomosphere. how illogical is that? and yet here we are having this discussion.

fangirl101
Hmm wasnt the spectre's supposed infinite weight being supported by a moon ( i seem to remeber him landing on a moon or something similar). that in itself tells us the real concept of mass wasnt being used.
I seem to remember that when the spectre touches the mortal plane, his properties change.

Allankles

Who says the space was finite? It could be explained via dimensional portals with the book being a sought of gateway to an infinite dimension. Just the same way magical items of that nature work.

Enyalus
Who says

I do. Because I'm speculating. Just like you.

And now I'll go to bed. But on a civil note. Enjoy your night, Allan & FG.

Naija boy
I seem to remember that when the spectre touches the mortal plane, his properties change.

Huh? If his properties "change" in a way that affects his weight then it would explain superman,wonderwoman and if iirc a gl were able to temporarily lift him. It also explains how his supposed infinite weight was supported by a moon. Aside that i have no idea what u mean

fangirl101
Huh? If his properties "change" in a way that affects his weight then it would explain superman,wonderwoman and if iirc a gl were able to temporarily lift him. It also explains how his supposed infinite weight was supported by a moon. Aside that i have no idea what u mean He explains as they struggle to lift him that his body carries the conciousness of reality. It's obviously too heavy for Superman and wondy to hold indefinitely.
But I can safely bet that it was beyond the weight of an infinite book. Which superman supported with another far easier.

Badabing
Moving. I don't know if Digi will keep it open.

Mindset
He explains as they struggle to lift him that his body carries the conciousness of reality. It's obviously too heavy for Superman and wondy to hold indefinitely.
But I can safely bet that it was beyond the weight of an infinite book. Which superman supported with another far easier. So Spectre weighs more than an infinite amount of weight?

Naija boy
He explains as they struggle to lift him that his body carries the conciousness of reality. It's obviously too heavy for Superman and wondy to hold indefinitely.
But I can safely bet that it was beyond the weight of an infinite book. Which superman supported with another far easier.

Really has nothing to do with what im saying. Im calling into question the belief (and frankly quite laughable one) that the spectre's weight was infinite and at that point superman and wonderwoman were supporting the weight of all existence and yet that same weight was supported by a moon. Really taking things that obviously involve unkown metaphysical concepts and trying to use physical terms to quantify them is quite futile.

spetznaz
I think there needs to be a distinction between the capability to do something, and the ability to do something. While it seems the two are the same, and any differences are semantic (they mostly are), there is an important kernel of distinction.

Take two people ....both twins with IQs at the gifted level (nature). However, one (let's call him Tony) is adopted by a couple who put a huge emphasis on education (not just book smarts, but flexibility of thought, theory of knowledge, and a well-rounded approach to life). The other twin (let's call him Johnny) is adopted by a couple who is more or less generally clueless about stuff, do not expose Johnny or provide an environment condusive to learning, and live in a neighborhood that is more or less anathema to the growing mental needs of a young person.

Now, fast forward a couple of years, and look at the two of them. Tony will be a confident individual, who is hyper-smart (again, not just in academics but in everything from proper etiquette to portfolio management), and able to fit into any social situation flawlessly. Johnny, on the other hand, is a misfit, prone to violent aggression and/or self-regression, is definitely not to be categorized under 'smart,' and if he seems 'confident' it is most likely animalistic alpha-agression (similar to what the lead dog in a junkyard would have).

Both had the same innate capabilities due to nature, but ended up with abilities at the opposite ends of the spectrum due to nurture.

This is something that happens a whole lot in real life, and a lot of 'smart' people and 'dumb' people (be it in intelligence, or more importantly in success levels if life ...whether you measure success by the Dollars one has in the bank, or how happy you are with your spouse, or how satisfied you are with your life) owe a lot MORE to nurture and such factors than to innate nature and such factors.

In the physical arena, one can look at the country of my birth ...Kenya. Due to the high altitude, people have a much higher level of oxygen carrying red cells, meaning their hemoglobin levels are high enough to almost classify some as mutants (this is why Kenyans are well associated with marathon runners). However, not every Kenyan is a marathon runner .....even those who live in the Highlands. Most do not even run ....thus, the innate potential is there, but the applied results are simply lacking!

Same thing when you move from East Africa to West Africa, where they have a lot of fast-twitch muscles, which helps them in sprints. This is why Nigerians in Africa, people from Jamaica and the Carribean (who originally came from West Africa), as well as African American sprinters (the vast majority of African Americans, almost all, came from West Africa) have extremely good sprint times. However, that doesn't mean anyone from Jamaica can break records, even though the general populace as a whole has fast twitch muscles!

Going to Clark and comparing him to Kallark, it is evident that Kallark was definitely based on the character of Clark (everything from power sets, to even the freaking name!)

Both have had some really major feats, with Superman easily having more (even if you ignore pre-Crisis feats, there are some post-Crisis Superman feats that are simply sick!) However, Gladiator also has some amazing feats, but he doesn't have enough of them due to the simple fact that he has never been a main character ....he was simply a character Marvel made to have a Superman-esque character in their stable, which every comic book company seems to have done one way or the other. Superman, on the other hand, is a primary character at DC, and obviously has had the full extent of his abilities explored (and more waiting in the wings, like his spittle being able to be used as a high density hyper fast armor destroying projectile ......simply by him spitting at someone)

We've seen how Superman would be if he was evil, if he was Soviet, if he was Nazi, etc etc etc. We've seen how he would be if he had no powers, and if his powers were overloaded.

Gladiator ....well, a character who can be pre-Crisis at one depiction, and in another being pwned by Colossus and Cannonball (with the explanation being 'level of confidence').

Thus, Gladiator SHOULD be capable of the full range of abilities that Superman has ....since he is almost directly (apart from looks) based on Superman (many characters have been based on Clark, but none so much as Kallark ....it is just that he looks different). The capabilities are the same.

But just like Tony and Johnny ....for the purposes of this thread, while the innate capabilities are more than analogous (I'd say more or less equivalent, with variations depending on how extreme Superman is being, with Clark being able to go from a 'very powerful JLA member' all the way to a potential planet destroyer ....and how 'confident' or less confident Kallark is at the moment, with Kallark also being able to go from a 'very powerful team member' to a potential planet destroyer) ......however, Superman has easily shown more diversity of power, and his application has been much better.

But then again, this is what you get when one is a primary character in a major company (basically a flagship, with only Batman being a flagship of equal stature), and the other being a secondary (at best) or tertiary (in most cases) character in a major company with a list of primary characters.

Superman 'wins.'

Philosophía
Superman is superior in every way.

Cartesian Doubt

Lulz .... Oh my god this could possibly be the most pot kettle statement I have ever read on this forum.

You do realise you are cuurently debating over agendas that are as quantifiable as Green is better than Blue ?

This guys subjective interpretation is better than this guys subjective intrepretation. sick

Juntai

Superman, by far.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by spetznaz
I

I agree with a lot oif what you have said, but in the end its entirely down to the context in which the writer is depicting that character, and what this character in question means to the writer. This of course is nearly entirely un quantifiable due to the scenarios subjectivity. However there are factors that can influence the writer; the book the character is likely to be seen, the grandeur of the scenario that character is likely to be up against, and the adversaries the character will face. About five years ago, I would have mentioned the company the character was associated with, through out the early 21 st century.C. was usually depicted on a slightly more powerful level, something that seems to have leveled off due to company inscestuality (I'm looking at you Dan Abnett, Grant Morison, Jeph Loeb etc). When you take this all into consideration, the likely hood is that Superman will always to depicted on a higher level.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Mindset
How much does an eternity weigh?

Eel O'Brien
Glads had to call in White Noise to break out the noise cancelling sonics against BB; Supes could have done that on his own.

Digi
Is this the kind of obvious and ridiculous baiting thread that you've come to, fg? It's incredibly sad, though I'm not sure why I expected more in the first place. Reported, btw.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Digi
Is this the kind of obvious and ridiculous baiting thread that you've come to, fg? It's incredibly sad, though I'm not sure why I expected more in the first place. Reported, btw.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohh

stick out tongue

Digi
sup scoob? been a while. your cpu problems finally fixed?

Digi
oh. hell. I thought this was in teh vs. forum. I get to close it now.

big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.