Iraqi journalist jailed for Bush shoe attack

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
ELiZbIy3rYM

interesting

for some context, here is what happens when you hurl shoes at someone in America:

Dj10nO45vek

lol, ok, so glibness aside, interesting verdict

I can't imagine anyone is surprised he was found guilty, but 3 years in prison?

and what about the fact that people feel he is some kind of folk hero? Will this impact his appeal?

lord xyz
Isn't this like, when he used to be pres...over 9000 years ago?

WrathfulDwarf
I'm not going to repeat the same thing over again about if this was Saddam the guy would be hanging from his balls outside the palace....oops! nevermind..

Anywhoo, the guy had like what? 10 lawyers representing him...he got off easy IMO.

jaden101
Don't see why it's an interesting verdict. He was seen by millions, if not billions of people doing it on tv. It's not like he was going to be found "not guilty"

As a UK resident i'm not going to criticise another country's justice system because ours is the biggest joke in the world. A guy 18 months (to serve 9) for punching someone so hard in the face it snapped their neck back and broke their aorta and resulted in death.

Captain REX
In my opinion, it is no longer interesting news. Sucks that he got such a long jail term, but he did throw assault the U.S. President, even if it was Bush.

jinXed by JaNx
Bush should have intervened and let this dude off the hook. I mean, wasn't he there to spread Democracy? It would have have been a major classy move had Big Bush said, "yo, if nigga wanna throw shoe's, let em throw shoe's, he has freedom of speech when i'm around cuz this the type of shit im tryin to bring yall..,freedom and stuff" I mean, that would have been a class move but, i guess, George isn't a classy kind of guy.

Mairuzu
I would have given him a year

botankus
Did he get his shoes back? Hopefully in three years they'll be waiting for him at the exit gate.

inimalist
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm not going to repeat the same thing over again about if this was Saddam the guy would be hanging from his balls outside the palace....oops! nevermind..

indeed, the fact the guy wasn't horribly mutilated speaks volumes about how just 3 years for a political action is.

Originally posted by Captain REX
In my opinion, it is no longer interesting news.

lol, so everyone cares when it happens, but as soon as CNN stops the clips, nobody cares anymore.

bah, lets hear no more about cynical media not paying attention to world events then

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by botankus
Did he get his shoes back? Hopefully in three years they'll be waiting for him at the exit gate.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Don't see why it's an interesting verdict. He was seen by millions, if not billions of people doing it on tv. It's not like he was going to be found "not guilty"

As a UK resident i'm not going to criticise another country's justice system because ours is the biggest joke in the world. A guy 18 months (to serve 9) for punching someone so hard in the face it snapped their neck back and broke their aorta and resulted in death.

Intention plays a huge role in a sentencing. Even though a year and a half seems short for a (presumed) manslaughter, the prosecution would have had to prove the bloke was trying to kill the victim when he threw that epic punch, which would be hard, especially if this happened during a street-fight.

Damn though, that mother****er can punch. He was a Scot, yes?

Robtard
Originally posted by botankus

I heard from a reliable source that Bush kept them and had them bronzed as a reminder of how awesome at dodging he was that day.

Forum Ninja
If Bush had been sent to jail for his actions as a president, there would have been no one to throw shoes at. No, my logic is not full of holes. Screw you.

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Intention plays a huge role in a sentencing. Even though a year and a half seems short for a (presumed) manslaughter, the prosecution would have had to prove the bloke was trying to kill the victim when he threw that epic punch, which would be hard, especially if this happened during a street-fight.

Damn though, that mother****er can punch. He was a Scot, yes?

No i believe he was an asian bouncer in England somewhere. Which is something i think should have factored into it. That he knew he could handle himself. Saying that, it was a road rage incident in which he was actually the one approached and being called racist insults. He got out the car, smashed the guy once in the face then got back in his car and drove off.

But yes, mens rea is hugely important in determining what someone car be prosecuted for.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Captain REX
In my opinion, it is no longer interesting news. Sucks that he got such a long jail term, but he did throw assault the U.S. President, even if it was Bush.

So? Bush isn't worth any more than you or me.

red g jacks
what did you honestly expect, that you can take a free shot at a president and get away with it? if he believes that, then he deserves the three years for sheer stupidity. and you may say (as previously stated in the thread): what, 3 years for political action? yea, that's right, sometimes even civil protest has it's consequences.and this wasn't even civil activism, it involved an attempted assault of the leader of a country. that's the cost of activism some times. in fact without that cost, it often loses most of it's meaning.

but from a basic national security standpoint, when it comes to people making threatening gestures towards the president of the united states, a clear example has to be shown that this kind of activity can't simply be shrugged off.

Raoul
Originally posted by inimalist
for some context, here is what happens when you hurl shoes at someone in America:

Dj10nO45vek

that's f*cked up.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
I heard from a reliable source that Bush kept them and had them bronzed as a reminder of how awesome at dodging he was that day.

Ahahahaha!

George totally pulled a Neo.

Gooshyz
Being a president is tougher than you can imagine.. He shouldnt have thrown that shoe.
Because if he was smart, he would have known that, they would make a scape goat out of him.
Imagine if he walked without harsh punishment.. Then this becomes a trend and he is labeled hero.. will throwin shoes at presidents becomes a norm now?????.. Imagine that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.