Best Directorial Debuts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Have at it!

Two that come to mind: Sam Mendes (American Beauty) and Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs).

Kovacs86
Those were definitely the two that came to my mind straight away...

I'd add The Duellists for Ridley Scott.

Impediment
Clerks by Kevin Smith.

Selphie
Bottle Rocket by Wes Anderson

MildPossession
Was Donnie Darko, Richard Kelly's debut?

BackFire
I believe so.

Night of the Living Dead - George Romero

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Have at it!

Two that come to mind: Sam Mendes (American Beauty) and Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs).

Those are the first two that came to my mind. I also think Terminator-Cameron and Being John Malkovich-Jonze deserve a mention.

Was pee wee Burtons first movie? I can never remember but if Pee Wee was his first i might have to pick that as my favorite debut.

WhoopeeDee
Larry Clark for Kids and John Singleton for Boyz N the Hood.

Kazenji
Sam Raimi, The Evil Dead.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Those are the first two that came to my mind. I also think Terminator-Cameron and Being John Malkovich-Jonze deserve a mention.

Was pee wee Burtons first movie? I can never remember but if Pee Wee was his first i might have to pick that as my favorite debut.

James Cameron started with something shit, actually... Piranha II or something.

Was Frank Darabont's first film The Shawshank Redemption? And how about Danny Boyle for Trainspotting?

Master Crimzon
Boyle's first film is Shallow Grave. Darabont's first film was some made for TV movie, but Shawshank was his first theatrical release.

The Usual Suspects, which I -think- is Bryan Singer's first real film, wins for me.

... by the way, I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Citizen Kane. I don't like it, but hey, it's supposed to be the greatest movie ever made, no?

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Boyle's first film is Shallow Grave. Darabont's first film was some made for TV movie, but Shawshank was his first theatrical release.

The Usual Suspects, which I -think- is Bryan Singer's first real film, wins for me.

... by the way, I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Citizen Kane. I don't like it, but hey, it's supposed to be the greatest movie ever made, no?

A) Citizen Kane was Welles' first film?

B) The Usual Suspects wasn't Singer's first, unfortunately. It was some really crap thing... I actually looked that up myself a couple of hours ago.

Master Crimzon
1) He made some short film, but yeah, Citizen Kane is his first major film and is pretty much considered to be his debut.

2) Seriously? What was it?

Impediment
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
Larry Clark for Kids

Originally posted by Kazenji

Both great choices.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
John Singleton for Boyz N the Hood.

damn good movie

grimify
Originally posted by Kovacs86
James Cameron started with something shit, actually... Piranha II or something.

Not really. After the original director left, Cameron did all the shooting. But the producer, Ovidio Assonitis, took over all the decision-making. Cameron wasn't even allowed to see his footage...he was cut completely out of the editing process.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by grimify
Not really. After the original director left, Cameron did all the shooting. But the producer, Ovidio Assonitis, took over all the decision-making. Cameron wasn't even allowed to see his footage...he was cut completely out of the editing process.

Oh, OK. So, yeah, Cameron/ Terminator has to be pretty high up there.

It was "Public Access". It's supposed to be god awful, though...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107895/

Master Crimzon
Sucks. I always thought of the Usual Suspects as his debut...

Actually, I just thought of something. Blood Simple has to be somewhere in here.

grimify
Just a few more to consider...

Andrew Niccol - Gattica
Guy Ritchie - Lock, Stock, and two Smoking Barrels
Chris Nolan - Following (not as good as Memento, but the dude had a budget of ~$6,000 for the film)
Tony Kaye - American History X

MildPossession
Didn't Edward Norton have a lot to do with the final cut of American History X, whatever way, it's amazing.

Kovacs86
Edward Norton had everything to do with American History X being a remotely good film.

jaden101
Ben Younger for "boiler room" has to get a mention. Quite a cast he got together for it and it's a highly underrated film. Hell even Vin Diesel acts reasonably well in it.

Danny Boyle: Shallow Grave.

Robert Rodriquez: El Mariachi

celestialdemon
Kevin Costner - Dances With Wolves

Not saying it's the best, but it's another good one that hasn't been mentioned.

jaden101
Ben Affleck: Gone Baby Gone.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Kazenji
Guy ritchie
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by jaden101
Ben Affleck: Gone Baby Gone.

good choice thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.