MadWorld

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
I37_ZH-fjr0

From the Wiki entry:

In MadWorld, Varrigan City has become a target for a group of terrorists known as "The Organizers". The Organizers have taken over the city and transformed it into the setting for a game show called Death Watch, where the city's citizens are being forced to fight for their lives against mysterious enemies, for a prize of 100 million dollars.

MadWorld has been the subject of controversy in the United Kingdom due to its violent subject matter. John Beyer, director of mediawatch-uk, has expressed his distaste over the game's content, stating his desire for it to not receive a rating from the BBFC, which would effectively ban it from being sold. He stated "We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people." European fans' response to the organization have been hostile, accusing mediawatch-uk of being "cowards" and "narrow-minded bigots.

Looks like the Wii finally has a game that I need to buy. It's been a while since I've actually bought one.

(I tried to look for an already existing thread, but didn't find one.)

Neo Darkhalen
"Mad World has been the subject of controversy in the United Kingdom due to its violent subject matter."

God doesn't England ever stop bitching about games, I mean seriously.

Anyway it's looking good a nice visual style, something different, I can see this doing well It would be nice to have a new good Wii AND Sega game for a change.

Peach
The style reminds me of Sin City.

I don't know if I'll play it, but it does look intriguing.

Impediment
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
"Mad World has been the subject of controversy in the United Kingdom due to its violent subject matter."

God doesn't England ever stop bitching about games, I mean seriously.

How strict is the UK with ratings? Video game and movie, both. I gather that it's rather harsh.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Impediment
How strict is the UK with ratings? Video game and movie, both. I gather that it's rather harsh.

It was much stricter in the 90's then what it is now, our rating system is the PEGI so our ratings go

U-universal
PG-Parental Guidance
12+-sutible for 12 years olds (+ means anyone under the age of 12 has to be accompanied by an adult.)
and finally our top rating is 18.

But anytime a game comes out now people in England feel the need to whine about it and try and get it banned; here games are always blamed for everything (well almost everything.)

I don't look my age myself so once I went to by a 15 rated game on my 15th Birthday and the guy woulden't serve me. (Fun times)

Impediment
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
It was much stricter in the 90's then what it is now, our rating system is the PEGI so our ratings go

U-universal
PG-Parental Guidance
12+-sutible for 12 years olds (+ means anyone under the age of 12 has to be accompanied by an adult.)
and finally our top rating is 18.

But anytime a game comes out now people in England feel the need to whine about it and try and get it banned; here games are always blamed for everything (well almost everything.)

I don't look my age myself so once I went to by a 15 rated game on my 15th Birthday and the guy woulden't serve me. (Fun times)

Seriously. 15 to 16? WTF is the difference?

Neo Darkhalen
Seriously. 15 to 16? WTF is the difference?

you have to be one year older, stupid I know. haermm

Nemesis X
It's not fair that a game this awesome is a Wii exclusive. The company who made MadWorld said they only made it for the Wii because it doesn't have that many violent games. Who cares? 360 and PS3 is where all the gory games should be.

First_Tsurugi06
But Wii is where all the stylish games should be, and this game is stylistically gory. 360 and PS3 are where all the vomited forth FPS belong.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Nemesis X
It's not fair that a game this awesome is a Wii exclusive. The company who made MadWorld said they only made it for the Wii because it doesn't have that many violent games. Who cares? 360 and PS3 is where all the gory games should be.
Most people are glad that an entertaining, intentionally ridiculous and self-aware game is coming to Wii.

What do you care? You won't be playing it.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Most people are glad that an entertaining, intentionally ridiculous and self-aware game is coming to Wii.

What do you care? You won't be playing it.

He just wants something to moan about thats all, as per usual.

jalek moye
becuase it opens up more games like that for the wii

ThunderGodEneru

What do you care? You won't be playing it. I'm sorry, but what?

That was his complaint, that he will not be playing it.

Nemesis X
How Nintendo became a magnet for other game companies is beyond me.

Eneru is right, my complaint is that I won't be playing MadWorld. All that violence and entertainment and I can't play it. This ain't right.

Hopefully MadWorld will be like other games that were once exclusives but are now multiplatform.

General Kaliero
How Nintendo became a magnet for other game companies is beyond me.

Eneru is right, my complaint is that I won't be playing MadWorld. All that violence and entertainment and I can't play it. This ain't right.

Hopefully MadWorld will be like other games that were once exclusives but are now multiplatform.
It's pretty simple. Nintendo makes them money. Not exactly a difficult concept.

And considering the controls rather depend on the Wii's motion sensing, I don't see it being ported. It just wouldn't work on another system.

jalek moye
i'm buying it. its been awhile since i bought a wii game

Final Blaxican
It's pretty simple. Nintendo makes them money. Not exactly a difficult concept.

I have to point out that this is kind of a poor argument to make. The Wii hasn't had any super major software sales aside from the one game that comes with it. Considering games like Halo 3 set world records and sold nearly 2.5 million copies in it 's first week then Nintendo's number 1 highest first week grossing game of all time, SUper Smash Brothers Brawl, which only made 1.4 million. And that was topped by Grand Theft Auto 4, and I believe Resident Evil 5 is making disgusting amounts of money as well.

So I mean, if you want to use the "money" argument, I think it would actually point to the Xbox and PS3 being the better choice, as their software sales are superior to the Wii's.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
I'm sorry, but what?

That was his complaint, that he will not be playing it.
Yeah, though he also reacted the same way to Super Smash Bros. not being on the 360 or PS3...

Anyhow, I might this get this game. Maybe..
If I don't end up changing my mind about the Conduit and enjoy it, I'm probably bound to get MadWorld as well sometime.

Final Blaxican
I37_ZH-fjr0

From the Wiki entry:

That has GOT to be John DiMaggio doing the voice there.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
That has GOT to be John DiMaggio doing the voice there.
Yes, Greg Proops and John DiMaggio provide the game's running commentary.

Peach
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I have to point out that this is kind of a poor argument to make. The Wii hasn't had any super major software sales aside from the one game that comes with it. Considering games like Halo 3 set world records and sold nearly 2.5 million copies in it 's first week then Nintendo's number 1 highest first week grossing game of all time, SUper Smash Brothers Brawl, which only made 1.4 million. And that was topped by Grand Theft Auto 4, and I believe Resident Evil 5 is making disgusting amounts of money as well.

So I mean, if you want to use the "money" argument, I think it would actually point to the Xbox and PS3 being the better choice, as their software sales are superior to the Wii's.

Actually, you're only partially right there. First week sales, yes, the 360/PS3 titles you listed out-did Wii titles.

However, let's take a look at the list of 10 top-selling games for all of 2008. This is from the March issue of Game Informer, on page 30, if you'd care to go look yourself.

Wii Play - 5.28 million
Mario Kart Wii - 5 million
Wii Fit - 4.53 million
SSBB - 4.17 million
GTA IV (360) - 3.29 million
COD: World At War (360) - 2.75 million
Gears of War 2 - 2.31 million
GTA IV (PS3) - 1.89 million
Madden 09 (360) - 1.87 million
Mario Kart DS - 1.65 million

So basically, in the long run, Nintendo tends to have very strong sales even once something's been out for a long time. I mean - Mario Kart DS. That's been out for three and a half years. And it still sold over 1.5 million copies last year. That's insane.

The problem with Wii software sales is that what they tend to sell very strongly are first-party games, and there aren't a huge number of those. But even the third party stuff doesn't necessarily sell poorly; it just hits a different audience that isn't going to buy tons of games so it isn't going to be able to compete with Halo and GTA numbers.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Peach
Actually, you're only partially right there. First week sales, yes, the 360/PS3 titles you listed out-did Wii titles.

However, let's take a look at the list of 10 top-selling games for all of 2008. This is from the March issue of Game Informer, on page 30, if you'd care to go look yourself.

Wii Play - 5.28 million
Mario Kart Wii - 5 million
Wii Fit - 4.53 million
SSBB - 4.17 million
GTA IV (360) - 3.29 million
COD: World At War (360) - 2.75 million
Gears of War 2 - 2.31 million
GTA IV (PS3) - 1.89 million
Madden 09 (360) - 1.87 million
Mario Kart DS - 1.65 million

So basically, in the long run, Nintendo tends to have very strong sales even once something's been out for a long time. I mean - Mario Kart DS. That's been out for three and a half years. And it still sold over 1.5 million copies last year. That's insane.

The problem with Wii software sales is that what they tend to sell very strongly are first-party games, and there aren't a huge number of those. But even the third party stuff doesn't necessarily sell poorly; it just hits a different audience that isn't going to buy tons of games so it isn't going to be able to compete with Halo and GTA numbers.

You and I seem to have conflicting numbers.

Microsoft announced that Halo 3 sold over 8.1 million copies since it's release.

Oh- wait. You're referring to the 2008 year only. Well, you're correct in that case. But I was referring to the respective systems top selling games overall. My point is that Microsoft and Sony' two two or three top selling games overall have squashed Nintendo's in sales.

Although I was pleasantly surprised to see that they nabbed 2008. I'm stiil rooting for them in this console generation over the others.

Peach
Yeah, Halo's got top sales over all, but the trend with 360 and PS3 games is to sell very, very well for a few weeks, maybe a month or two, and then more or less drop off the radar. The one thing they can't lay claim to is consistent strong sales over the span of several months or a year (or even more) - that's where Nintendo wins out.

And before anyone brings up the "360 has more games that sell well" argument...that's not really that true. The 360 and PS3 probably have as many crap games as the Wii does. They're just hyped up as good games and sell until a few reviews come out, and then they just vanish, sales-wise.

BackFire
This game looks sweet, gonna get it for my birthday. Hopefully my Wii still works and isn't full of dust from lack of use.

First_Tsurugi06
I'll just say for now that I've beaten the game (days before I post this of course), and the length ultimately is my only real gripe, along with a few levels sometimes being a little frustrating to maintain a flow in due to a few hazards (i.e. at times, a certain, stronger enemy will appear to attack, and that can get a little annoying since they tend to retreat before you can finish them off). I'll also say that as far as the soundtrack is concerned, I actually liked a few of the tunes; this is coming from a guy who usually has a bias against the musical style this game uses, though I've always thought that there was a difference between rap and hip-hop (the latter of which this game has outspokenly said to use), and as far as I can tell, the difference is the fact that I sense more of a beat.

As far as Wii having a lack of use, I originally set my Wii up in the family room, where everyone usually was. Needless to say, I had a few (literal) "on-and-off" phases with it, until I put it in my bedroom after I got a new TV. Coincidentially or not, I've been using it MUCH more since then (may I also remind you that it was at least December that I had done this)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.