Resident Evil 5 vs Resident Evil 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Wil
Out of the newest RE games, which is better?

Zack Fair
Haven't played RE5 yet, but from what my friends have told me is that RE4 > RE5

Ultimate Wil
Well yeah, I beat both, and I have to say I enjoyed RE4 more than RE5.

Nemesis X
Darn it you beat me to it. I was thinking about making a RE4vsRE5 thread.

Anyways, I find both games to be equally fun.

Neo Darkhalen
4 Scrapes past 5 just about.

Genesis
4 is an inferior game.

ThunderGodEneru
5 is better IMO.

chithappens
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
5 is better IMO.

Originally posted by Genesis
4 is an inferior game.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
4 Scrapes past 5 just about.

All very compelling arguments rolling on floor laughing

General Kaliero
It's really a tough call. Leon's a better leading man, Sheva's a better partner, 4's a better story, Wesker's a better big bad...

One thing I really missed was the volume of QTEs in 4. Those were actually well-done, and kept you on your toes during the cutscenes. The only time 5 felt like it reached that same level was the short run in the underground temple, on the tanker in 6-2, and the in-between phase with Wesker.

jalek moye
I like them both, but i will say at the beggining 4 was actually a little scary/creepy at times (that damn chanting creeped me out). While 5 never was

Nemesis X
In RE5, you can finally kick Wesker's ass. You have no idea how long fans have been waiting to get that guy.

In RE4, Ashley was a real pain. She couldn't fight back and she keeps getting grabbed by enemies and gets taken away. Now in RE5, your partner can fight alongside with you (if you can get over the fact that she shoots your ass for a few times through each level) so RE5 wins best partner.

Better cast of villains I will have to give to RE4 because Krauzer and the Big Cheese were awesome. Excellia I don't call an awesome villain because it isn't the first time I've seen a woman that had a lust for power and gets incredibly annoying.

The inventory I'm obviously giving to RE4. Why Capcom didn't move that to RE5 is beyond me.

Most attarctive women I'm giving to RE4 because Ada in that red dress is one of the many reasons people buy the game.

Best weapons. Again, RE4.

Best story plot I'm giving to RE4.
Presidents daughter kidnapped > Trouble in Africa

Best boss battles I'm going to give this a tie.

Best enemy AI. Again, tie.

Best main character. Chris wished he was as awesome as Leon.

occultdestroyer
RE4 retained some spooky elements from it's predecessor.
The zombified enemies in RE4 looked freakier, the pale white look and the continuous chanting just added to that effect.

RE5 wasn't scary at all. I did like the idea of having a partner that can actually fight, but Ashley being unable to fight gave you a tougher time to battle your way out of the game, which I like.
The more difficult the game is, the more thrilling the game becomes.
At least for me, because I like difficult games. RE4 was more challenging, and I prefer it more than RE5.

Nemesis X
How Capcom didn't make part 5 as awesome as 4 is an incredible mystery. I'm not saying RE5 sucks, it's just that it doesn't live up the hype as RE4.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Nemesis X
How Capcom didn't make part 5 as awesome as 4 is an incredible mystery. I'm not saying RE5 sucks, it's just that it doesn't live up the hype as RE4. actually its really simple they wetn for a more action game absed experiance instead of survival horror

Nemesis X
Originally posted by jalek moye
actually its really simple they wetn for a more action game absed experiance instead of survival horror

That would explain this game's near downfall. I now fear what will happen to Resident Evil 6.

General Kaliero
That would explain this game's near downfall. I now fear what will happen to Resident Evil 6.
What downfall? It's a critically acclaimed game that's a ton of fun to play and it selling well. Sounds like a success to me.

jalek moye
Originally posted by General Kaliero
What downfall? It's a critically acclaimed game that's a ton of fun to play and it selling well. Sounds like a success to me.
I actually find the series does well with a more action based stance, it was more fun to me then 4 but 4 was more compelling

General Kaliero
I actually find the series does well with a more action based stance, it was more fun to me then 4 but 4 was more compelling
4 was better at telling its story, with a more entertaining main character, is pretty much it.

BackFire
4 is the better simply because it's more consistent. RE5 was great before the enemies got guns and it implemented some dinky cover system and started playing like a 3rd rate Gears of War clone.

In the end 5 came across like it didn't know what it really wanted to be. And that's too bad, had they just kept it going as it was for the first 2/3rds it would have been much better.

Peach
RE5 got me to play a Resident Evil game for the first time since the very first game, so I have to give it that, at least...stick out tongue

Final Blaxican
How do you like it, Lana?

Peach
I did the first couple of chapters with GK earlier. Beyond the fact that I kept forgetting the controls (and he kept laughing at how many times I went "eww"wink, I enjoyed what I played.

I also cracked up at the fact that I kept scoring with higher accuracy than he did stick out tongue

jalek moye
Originally posted by BackFire
4 is the better simply because it's more consistent. RE5 was great before the enemies got guns and it implemented some dinky cover system and started playing like a 3rd rate Gears of War clone.

In the end 5 came across like it didn't know what it really wanted to be. And that's too bad, had they just kept it going as it was for the first 2/3rds it would have been much better.
that is very true the last chapters are such crap because of that. I havn't beat it yet but the guns part are fun but no where near as fun as the earlier chapters

Ridley_Prime
Am I bad for liking Chris better than Leon?

jalek moye
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
yes you are a horrible person

Ridley_Prime
sad

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Yes. Leon is a walking embodiment of corny 90s badassery. Chris is simply a boring manly-man with no defining traits except his hatred of Wesker and ability to shout "Jill!!!"

Ridley_Prime
Meh. Not saying Leon wasn't awesome or anything. Just kinda liked Chris more in the end for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. I see your point though.

Mairuzu
zombies with guns made me a bit upset

Alpha Centauri
that is very true the last chapters are such crap because of that. I havn't beat it yet but the guns part are fun but no where near as fun as the earlier chapters

I wonder where Gears got ITS ideas from.

Something Resident Evil 4 shaped.

-AC

Neo Darkhalen
I'm going to retract my statement before, after playing it more and more I find 5 to be the better game.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I wonder where Gears got ITS ideas from.

Something Resident Evil 4 shaped.

-AC
i dont get what you're saying. Gears does a better job at that that 3rd person action shooter then resident evil does.

Alpha Centauri
i dont get what you're saying. Gears does a better job at that that 3rd person action shooter then resident evil does.

How? Because it took something GREAT that existed first, and adapted it to fit.

So let's chill before we call 5 a Gears clone. Gears is a 4 clone.

-AC

BackFire
The difference is Gears evolved and enhanced the aspects it borrowed from RE4 and made them its own while still employing a number of unique aspects that hadn't been done before. RE5 did not, it just put in a sloppy clunky cover system that was unintuitive and almost entirely worthless and threw in some enemies with guns and called it a day.

It was like the RE5 team was developing their game and then 2/3rds of the way through played Gears and decided it liked some parts of that game and just shoehorned those aspects into RE5 on the fly.

jalek moye
How? Because it took something GREAT that existed first, and adapted it to fit.

So let's chill before we call 5 a Gears clone. Gears is a 4 clone.

-AC
I never called it a gears clone

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by BackFire
The difference is Gears evolved and enhanced the aspects it borrowed from RE4 and made them its own while still employing a number of unique aspects that hadn't been done before. RE5 did not, it just put in a sloppy clunky cover system that was unintuitive and almost entirely worthless and threw in some enemies with guns and called it a day.

It was like the RE5 team was developing their game and then 2/3rds of the way through played Gears and decided it liked some parts of that game and just shoehorned those aspects into RE5 on the fly.

That's the thing though.

The cover system was thrown in. It's not obligatory. It doesn't force you to take cover and use it. In Gears, you have to.

-AC

BackFire
I think that's bad though, something just pointlessly thrown in seems sloppy and spastic, like they're just lazily ripping off something else without trying to put their own spin or style to it or even making it decent.

Nemesis X
In RE5, enemies armed with miniguns are a bigger pain in the ass than the ones in RE4.

jalek moye
That's the thing though.

The cover system was thrown in. It's not obligatory. It doesn't force you to take cover and use it. In Gears, you have to.

-AC
actually at some points you have to

Alpha Centauri
actually at some points you have to

I was never forced to.

-AC

§P0oONY
RE4 IMO, I preferred the storyline and the weapon and inventory systems.

Genesis
RE4 was definitely a scarier game. RE5 is, mechanically speaking, a superior game. I would've like to see RE5 less action oriented with more puzzles and jumpy encounters. There was one zombie that jumped out of a stack of boxes. Absurd.

Mairuzu
Hell yea it was scary.

Nemesis X
RE4 has lots of scares.

RE5 has less scares.

Capcom does realize that you can mix action with horror right? After playing through RE5 it's like Capcom forgot what RE4 had and decided to make RE5 more actiony. I don't have a problem with action it's just that RE used to put some scares in you but now it's hardly doing that. It's like Konami making a Silent Hill game with less horror (wow would that franchise plummet if that happened).

RE4 and RE5 are in a tie for best action.

RE4 wins for best horror.

Mairuzu
I was scared shitless when i was in that lake in 4.... 5, not so much.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I was scared shitless when i was in that lake in 4.... 5, not so much.

You were scared of the Del Lago?

What scared me in RE4 were those zealots chanting, the first time I encountered a Regenerator, walking down a dark hallway (while playing as Ashley) and suddenly suits of armor attack, those two women wielding chainsaws, and those friggin Plagas that popped out of their host's body during a dark rainy night.

jalek moye
the chanting in 4 was creepy. the yelling in 5 was just like ok

Nemesis X
All those villagers in RE5 look like they snorted up a bunch of cocaine.

Mairuzu
All those villagers in RE5 look like they snorted up a bunch of cocaine. thats very true

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.