did palpatine get weaker after getting scared by mace or stronger

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tombo671
??

Jaeh.is.Awesome
first, its scarred, not scared. i don't think he was ever...er, scared. O.o

i think... nothing happened. *blink* he was just scarred, and everything remained the same.
although he could've grown stronger, because now he didn't have to hide his true self and just blame lots of it on the "assasination attempt"...

mattatom
May of weakened his physical strength since his skin and flesh was fried for quite a bit. Elsewise he's as powerful in the Force as ever.

Jack Daniels
the deleted scenes showed his true power....he pulled out a shot glass and a pint of jack daniels and all was good...

DarthLazious
Palpatine was stronger then Mace Windu. He was acting weak so when Anakin arrived to see him getting his ass kicked by Mace it was to make Anakin wish to betray The Jedi and help Palpatine in order for him to become Darth Vader.

sweersa
Originally posted by DarthLazious
Palpatine was stronger then Mace Windu. He was acting weak so when Anakin arrived to see him getting his ass kicked by Mace it was to make Anakin wish to betray The Jedi and help Palpatine in order for him to become Darth Vader.

Exactly.

Mindset
Palpatine was stronger then Mace Windu. He was acting weak so when Anakin arrived to see him getting his ass kicked by Mace it was to make Anakin wish to betray The Jedi and help Palpatine in order for him to become Darth Vader. False.

Mace is just that good.

sweersa
Originally posted by Mindset
False.

Mace is just that good.

I believe Lucas said Palpy was faking it just to get Anakin.

Forcewielder
Oh please, Sidious killed 3 Jedi in seconds and sent Yoda packing to Dagobah. He even had Mace on the run until they got to the windows and its no coincidence that Anakin shows up at the same time Sidious is knocked down by Mace.

I say Sidious is stronger but he threw the fight to trick Anakin into betraying Mace.

LordPrydon
He didn't seem weak when he took on Master Yoda not long after! I agree with the previous poster-it was all a fake to get to Anakin. And it worked. Poor Mace.....

Mindset
Originally posted by sweersa
I believe Lucas said Palpy was faking it just to get Anakin. Mace doesn't care what Lucas thinks.

Council#13

Source?

sweersa
Originally posted by Council#13
Source?

Ah, hang on.

It was a while back, maybe some other members have a link for it. It may have been in a video interview or something.

tombo671
GUYS THIS ISNT EVEN THE QUESTION IM ASKING im asking if he got weaker after gettin morphed or stronger and yes i bieleve palp was faking the fight bcos if u watch the video he had a chance to stab mace at one point but he et mace take it from there

Jovan
and post number one already answers it: nothing happend. Didn't got weaker nor stronger.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Random question guys, couldn't Palpatine's playing weak fan backfire on him?

I mean, if Anakin started to think that Palpatine was that weak he wo't be able to help Anakin anymore.... Then Palpatine's screwed. Right?

Jack Daniels
look if mick...err sweersa said palps was faking it u can bet you azz it came from lucas.... plus sweersa has the most hottt wookie girlfriends in the galaxy!

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
look if mick...err sweersa said palps was faking it u can bet you azz it came from lucas.... plus sweersa has the most hottt wookie girlfriends in the galaxy!

Absolutely.

Jinsoku Takai

Bullshit... based on what? G-Cannon? Nope!!! The RotS novel? Nope!!! There is no valid source material to substantiate this point of view.

Heard this argument/debate hundreds of times and the same crap boils up.

The fact is, Mace busted his ass, plain and simple. Get over it!!!

Ordo
I think the movies clearly show Mace winning. Lucas would not allow good to lose to evil in a fair fight.

I also think, given how Lucas portrayed the saga (the OT as the battles old men, young boys, and asthmatic has-been cyborgs) that Palpatine would be weaker post-Mace if his power changed at all.

~JP~
Originally posted by tombo671
GUYS THIS ISNT EVEN THE QUESTION IM ASKING im asking if he got weaker after gettin morphed or stronger and yes i bieleve palp was faking the fight bcos if u watch the video he had a chance to stab mace at one point but he et mace take it from there

How bout you do a search for this topic BEFORE making a thread and then getting all pissy in it? This question has been debated to death on this board. no expression

Hybris

I actually think that he said the opposite on the DVD :/ But it's been a while so I'm not sure :s

Jinsoku Takai

Nope! Better check that again... and pay close attention to details.

Ordo
Palpy was faking a lot to get to Anakin, but you can't fake a WINDU ASWHOOPIN!

Jinsoku Takai
Mace Windu busted his ass. GL confirms this. The RotS novel confirms this. What more can be said... really?

Ordo
I just say its obvious.

Its a cool duel though. Very unique in the saga in every respect.

DarthLazious
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Bullshit... based on what? G-Cannon? Nope!!! The RotS novel? Nope!!! There is no valid source material to substantiate this point of view.

Heard this argument/debate hundreds of times and the same crap boils up.

The fact is, Mace busted his ass, plain and simple. Get over it!!!

Based on George Lucas's word. I mean if Mace did beat the crap out of Palpatine then that would make Mace the one to bring Balance To The Force and not Anakin.
Palpatine is the mastermind and has been behind everything in the Galaxy to get where he is by Return of the Jedi. I even read it a book that Palpatine faked the duel to lure Anakin into the Darkside and to betray the Jedi Order.
If you are wondering what book I got it from it is called The Death Star.

queeq
Originally posted by Ordo
I just say its obvious.

Its a cool duel though. Very unique in the saga in every respect.

I felt it was rather sluggish.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Forcewielder
Oh please, Sidious killed 3 Jedi in seconds and sent Yoda packing to Dagobah. He even had Mace on the run until they got to the windows and its no coincidence that Anakin shows up at the same time Sidious is knocked down by Mace.

I say Sidious is stronger but he threw the fight to trick Anakin into betraying Mace.

In the yoda/Palps fight Palpatine just got lucky, had Yoda actually been able to hold yoda woulda just kicked Palps ass, you saw the fear in his eyes when yoda blocked the electricity and got that angry look on his face...palps wasn't laughing then

Ordo
Originally posted by queeq
I felt it was rather sluggish.

Have you seen the OT?. lol.

Sluggish is their combat style. Mace using big broad power strokes and Sidious has all these awkward grips and deflections.

Originally posted by steverules_2
In the yoda/Palps fight Palpatine just got lucky, had Yoda actually been able to hold yoda woulda just kicked Palps ass, you saw the fear in his eyes when yoda blocked the electricity and got that angry look on his face...palps wasn't laughing then

he was just laughing the rest of the time. What Palpatine did was not "luck." Yoda failed...as he said.

steverules_2
he was just laughing the rest of the time. What Palpatine did was not "luck." Yoda failed...as he said.

Yeah coz falling and then having nothing to really grip onto counts as yoda 'losing' you gotta be kidding me! Yoda didn't fail he just got unlucky, incase you missed it palps got actually had something to hold onto when he went flying back. Yoda could totally pwn palps. And just to add a little salt here what palps did was LUCK. wink Have a nice day smurph

Jinsoku Takai
Based on George Lucas's word. I mean if Mace did beat the crap out of Palpatine then that would make Mace the one to bring Balance To The Force and not Anakin.
Palpatine is the mastermind and has been behind everything in the Galaxy to get where he is by Return of the Jedi. I even read it a book that Palpatine faked the duel to lure Anakin into the Darkside and to betray the Jedi Order.
If you are wondering what book I got it from it is called The Death Star.

Not cannon dude.

Ordo
Yeah coz falling and then having nothing to really grip onto counts as yoda 'losing' you gotta be kidding me! Yoda didn't fail he just got unlucky, incase you missed it palps got actually had something to hold onto when he went flying back. Yoda could totally pwn palps. And just to add a little salt here what palps did was LUCK. wink Have a nice day smurph

"Failed, I have." ~ Yoda

Have a nice day smurph

DarthLazious
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Not cannon dude.

Why?

Lucas even said Mace was defeated by Sidious.

If Mace was stronger then Sidious then there would be no need for Anakin would therenow?

Mace Windu is not the Chosen One. Anakin is.

steverules_2
"Failed, I have." ~ Yoda

Have a nice day smurph

Using my own words against me...true sign of wisdom there roll eyes (sarcastic)

He failed to stop him yes, but it was still all down to luck. Had yoda actually been able to get back up to palps then palps would have been a gonna. Unfortunately for Yoda he fell pretty badly and got a slippery, smooth surface that he couldn't hold onto thus he fell and was unable to stop palps. Palps had fear in his eyes right before the 2 went flying because he knew that yoda could probably beat him..fortunately for palps he caught a break and was able to get away.

Have a nice day smurph

Ordo
Using my own words against me...true sign of wisdom there roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah...actually, if you are flippant I feel I have the right to be flippant right back. It wasn't actually an argument against you, just a shot at your attitude.

Your analysis of the statement was pure wisdom though...

He failed to stop him yes, but it was still all down to luck. Had yoda actually been able to get back up to palps then palps would have been a gonna. Unfortunately for Yoda he fell pretty badly and got a slippery, smooth surface that he couldn't hold onto thus he fell and was unable to stop palps. Palps had fear in his eyes right before the 2 went flying because he knew that yoda could probably beat him..fortunately for palps he caught a break and was able to get away.

You can make up any excuse you want. Yoda didn't say "Unlucky, I was" he infact said:

Originally posted by Yoda
Failed, I have.

So, you can project any sort of self-comforting feelings onto the scene that you want. The dialogue contradicts you. The action contradicts you. And then the little green coward ran away to his swamp.

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck

Luck doesn't exist in Star Wars, especailly in the perspective of the Jedi. There is only skill and the will of the force.

Have a nice day smurph

queeq
Have you seen the OT?. lol.

Sluggish is their combat style. Mace using big broad power strokes and Sidious has all these awkward grips and deflections.

Yeah I did... but the OT battles at least had a lot of drama, that kinda outdid the fighting. Plus, we're some 20+ years down the road and suppsoed to be in the highlight of Jedi tradition, seeing two of the supposedly greatest lightsabre fighters at work... and still it's sluggish. You can explain it all away, the fight didn't strike as particularly well shot/cut/done (whatever), it certainly lacked dynamic for two such giants IMHO ... as well as emotion of course. But that kinda goes without saying in the PT. wink

sweersa
PT bashers...

steverules_2
Yeah...actually, if you are flippant I feel I have the right to be flippant right back. It wasn't actually an argument against you, just a shot at your attitude.

Your analysis of the statement was pure wisdom though...

You can make up any excuse you want. Yoda didn't say "Unlucky, I was" he infact said:

So, you can project any sort of self-comforting feelings onto the scene that you want. The dialogue contradicts you. The action contradicts you. And then the little green coward ran away to his swamp.

Luck doesn't exist in Star Wars, especailly in the perspective of the Jedi. There is only skill and the will of the force.

Have a nice day smurph

lol yoda's a coward? Whooooa there....think your going a bit too far there. If I remember correctly it was Palpatine who decided to get two clone troopers to come protect his ass and go look for yoda! And yes luck does exist in the Star wars universe. Don't believe me you may wanna re-watch a new hope where Han Solo mentions it, incase you hadn't noticed Palps wasn't a jedi he was a sith lord, luck was on his side and not on the side of yoda...if it had been Palps who'd been thrown further back he would landed far worse than yoda and maybe even been killed from the fall.

Yoda had no lightsabre so I really doubt that yoda would last long with the amount of clone troopers that were there. Yes yoda failed at the task he had set out to do but then I'm pretty sure Palps woulda loved to have killed /Beaten yoda, Palps didn't admit to failing but he didn't admit to have winning anything either.

If you wanna talk about action condraciting me then go ahead but I doubt I'm the only who noticed that Palps shit his pants when he Yoda get an angry look on his face.

Have a nice day smurph

queeq
PT bashers...

But what I said made sense.

sweersa
But what I said made sense.

I can't hear you!

Nooooooo!

queeq
But you do... yes you do.

sweersa
But you do... yes you do.

Never!

queeq
Too late

sweersa
Dang.

queeq
Always.

Gideon
Yes, the official stance is that Windu overpowered Palpatine legitimately due to the special nature of his lightsaber fighting form, Vaapad, and the shatterpoint charism.

That's a very odd perspective, since the entire prequel trilogy depicts evil kicking the utter shit out of good. It was essentially four Sith vs. ten thousand Jedi and a Republic and the Sith pimpsmacked all of them. Darth Maul was beating two Jedi at once (i.e. he was winning despite the good guys "cheating"wink; Count Dooku was beating another two Jedi (twice); Sidious butchered three Jedi Masters and stalemated Yoda in a fair fight.

In fact, in a "fair fight", good tends to lose... a lot in the movies. Even during the OT; the Empire was more powerful, the Rebels had to rely on guerilla warfare. That is the nature of evil: it's powerful and it pays off. If it didn't, no one would be evil.

His power did change and he grew stronger (but that's EU).

Windu won the fight, but Palpatine was faking being too weak to continue according to the DVD commentary.

steverules_2
Obi wan and quie Gon cheated? How? Not disagreeing I just didn't notice that they did

Gideon
Obi wan and quie Gon cheated? How? Not disagreeing I just didn't notice that they did

In my opinion, there's no such thing as "cheating" or "fair" in a fight to the death. Anything goes. But Ordo mentioned that Lucas would never make it so that "evil beats good in a fair fight."

Most people would agree that attacking two on one is "unfair." Yet Darth Maul kicked ass regardless of their advantage.

The point being the "all's fair in love and war" adage has some measure of truth; Palpatine took on the galaxy at an incredible disadvantage and won; evil triumphed 'fair 'n' square.'

Just like the Jedi did at the end.

queeq
???

Gideon
???

You've been drinking, haven't you? shifty

queeq
That must be it.

Sith Master X
I always thought that Palpatine staged the whole thing. I think he could have handled Mace no problem, but he set it up to make the Jedi look evil in front of Anakin. Perhaps Mace beat Palpy in his skills with a lightsaber, but Sidious was stronger by far.

sweersa
Mace beat him because he had a longer lightsaber actually.

DarthLazious
Stronger.

queeq
A stronger lightsabre???? What? He used energizer batteries or summin???

DarthLazious
No stronger in the ways of the Darkside of the Force.

queeq
MAce is stronger in the Dark Side???? WTF?

truejedi
One things Sidious definitly failed to do was stay in control of his lightsaber fight, even if he was faking at first. Without even using the ROTS novelization (which i believe is frowned upon here, no?) Mace KICKED the lightsaber out of Sids hands. You can't fake that.

The DVD commentary on ROTS (that is acceptable?) has Lucas stating that Mace beat sidious with lightsabers. Sidious faked being too weak to continue the duel after the first lightning attack, he still obviously had the ability to attack, but there is no indication that he actually would have won without Anakin's intervention.

DarthLazious
Palpatine faked the whole thing as a test for Anakin so he would chose him over Mace and the Jedi thus becoming the Sith Lord known as Darth Vader.

queeq
Originally posted by truejedi
One things Sidious definitly failed to do was stay in control of his lightsaber fight, even if he was faking at first. Without even using the ROTS novelization (which i believe is frowned upon here, no?) Mace KICKED the lightsaber out of Sids hands. You can't fake that.

The DVD commentary on ROTS (that is acceptable?) has Lucas stating that Mace beat sidious with lightsabers. Sidious faked being too weak to continue the duel after the first lightning attack, he still obviously had the ability to attack, but there is no indication that he actually would have won without Anakin's intervention.

Or taht he would have lost.

truejedi
Palpatine faked the whole thing as a test for Anakin so he would chose him over Mace and the Jedi thus becoming the Sith Lord known as Darth Vader.
The whole thing? That would be a bit tough for you to back up methinks.

queeq
But everything was proceeding as he had foreseen...

truejedi
But everything was proceeding as he had foreseen...

yes, the jedi came to kill him, and he survived, and anakin fell to the darkside. You think he forsaw his lightsaber being KICKED out of his hand?

Stun
Originally posted by tombo671
??

If anything? his performance got stranger, that's for sure

queeq
Originally posted by truejedi
yes, the jedi came to kill him, and he survived, and anakin fell to the darkside. You think he forsaw his lightsaber being KICKED out of his hand?

Maybe he let Mace, knowing Anakin WOULD come.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.