Liquid Water Found on Mars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Liquid droplets seem to form and move on the leg of the Phoenix Mars lander, as seen in images taken on days 8, 31, and 44 (seen above from left to right) of the craft's mission.

Scientists think the water could stay liquid even in the frigid Martian arctic because of its high concentration of perchlorates, salts that acts like antifreeze.

Quite amazing discovery this, or is it a result of a fake mars landing, they caught themselves outsmile

LINK

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/090218-water-mars-phoenix_big.jpg

jaden101
Until it's shown that it's not from the Hydrazine propellant used on the lander then i'm staying pretty skeptical.

Bicnarok
hmm good point, but where would that come from, surely the propellant would have come off during entry into the atmosphere.

Robtard
Isn't there some decent proof that Mars has ice, at least under it's surface? If so, moisture in the air isn't beyond reason.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Isn't there some decent proof that Mars has ice, at least under it's surface? If so, moisture in the air isn't beyond reason.

But we have to eliminate the possibility that the water came from the space probe before it can be taken seriously.

Mairuzu
I just found out that your avatar blinks.....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mairuzu

laughing What are you smoking? stick out tongue

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Until it's shown that it's not from the Hydrazine propellant used on the lander then i'm staying pretty skeptical.

It should be a solid, if there is any left to be considered. However, pressure should be considered as that would lower the freezing point and heat of vaporization. You're the chemist, though, so you would probably know better.

Furthermore, isn't tha craft at the southern pole? It should be even colder there, making hydrozine even more of a solid IF it is even around.

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon
It should be a solid, if there is any left to be considered. However, pressure should be considered as that would lower the freezing point and heat of vaporization. You're the chemist, though, so you would probably know better.

Furthermore, isn't tha craft at the southern pole? It should be even colder there, making hydrozine even more of a solid IF it is even around.

In the case of Hydrazine itself that's true but it gives off Ammonia gas after catalyzation that melts around -77oC which, if i remember correctly, isn't far off from the temperature of mars.

Although i'm not familiar with the make up of the Phoenix lander so i don't know what quantity they had planned to have left after landing. I just know it was used in the lander to slow the descent.

I also think it might have been a derivative of Hydrazine, probably monomethylhydrazine, that was used which also has a melting point of around -55oC and yes, melting points do decrease as pressure decreases so that might make it more around the mars temperature.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
laughing What are you smoking? stick out tongue you know stoned

dadudemon
you know stoned

Cowk. no expression

Mairuzu
Caulk

Bicnarok
That got me too a while back, I thought I was going mad.

inimalist
Interesting news and all, but doesn't anyone else think the press release is a little premature?

If they haven't even ruled out the hypothesis that the liquid originated from the robot itself, I'd say they really haven't found anything yet.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Liquid droplets seem to form and move on the leg of the Phoenix Mars lander, as seen in images taken on days 8, 31, and 44 (seen above from left to right) of the craft's mission.

Scientists think the water could stay liquid even in the frigid Martian arctic because of its high concentration of perchlorates, salts that acts like antifreeze.

Quite amazing discovery this, or is it a result of a fake mars landing, they caught themselves outsmile

LINK

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/090218-water-mars-phoenix_big.jpg

I read this in a New Scientist magazine It's certainly plausible. I doubt it's fake.

Bicnarok
why would someone fake it?

or do you think they want to get money to start a quick exertion to mars

dadudemon
That can't be water...even at that low atmospheric density. That's MUCH too cold to be water. That lander is supposed to be on the south pole, if I'm not mistaken. It simply doesn't get warm enough to let water be a liquid, at that temperature.

scottlpool2003
The droplets look more like mercury than water lol, but what do I know.

If liquid water is there, it's there. I doubt there are still any living molecules on the planet, but if there were then maybe it could unluck a few secrets to where we came from.

I'm not holding my breath though.

I was also interested in the story of ways to warm Mars up.

Send Iran up with their "nukes." shouldn't take too long smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.