Progressive Music, need some new bands to listen to

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Norwood
I'm a Huge Dream Theater fan and I'm looking for some comparable stuff.

Most of the suggestions on allmusic.com don't appeal to me...I've tried Explorer's Club, Royal Hunt and don't like them.

Meshuggah (while not technically prog) is awesome and they're really talented so I'm already into those guys.

Kamelot seems pretty cool. If you haven't listened to them, check them out you might like them.

So does anyone have any other suggestions?

Norwood
Some other bands are Vanden Plas, Khallice, Tiles and Opeth.

Opeth absolutely rocks.

Slay
You might want to check out Between the Buried and Me if harsh vocals don't bother you.

geshien
Originally posted by Norwood
Some other bands are Vanden Plas, Khallice, Tiles and Opeth.

Opeth absolutely rocks.

Vanden Plas is truly awesome.

I recommend Pyramaze, Shadow Gallery, Warmen, Beyond Twilight, Angra, Circus Maximus, Freakeys, Guardians of Time and Midnattsol.

geshien
Also, while not like DT, it would be a shame not to listen to Porcupine Tree, Tool (metal I know), The Mars Volta, Peter Gabriel, A.C.T. and Jolly.

RedAlertv2
Cave In

occultdestroyer
Coheed and Cambria
HORSE the Band
Andromeda

Cory Chaos
Eh, Horse aren't that progressive.

Obviously going to say Mastodon here, The Mars Volta, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer..and Planes Mistaken For Stars. BTBAM is a good suggestion. Like Mastodon's new one, "Crack the Skye", you have to listen to "Colors" beginning to end.

Norwood
Originally posted by geshien
Vanden Plas is truly awesome.

Warmen, Circus Maximus, Midnattsol.

Holy....shit...

Warmen especially.

Thank you, may your day bring you joy. As Warmen has brought mine.

Norwood
Also, while not like DT, it would be a shame not to listen to Porcupine Tree, Tool (metal I know), The Mars Volta, Peter Gabriel, A.C.T. and Jolly.

I definitely listen to the classics. ELP, Genesis, DT etc.

But man, some of these suggestions are mind blowing! Where have I been? Warmen kicks ass.

D00m
http://intothemusic.ca/images/uploads/covers/Amon_Duul_II_-_Yeti.jpg

Norwood
Originally posted by D00m
Amon_Duul

Thanks man, I'll check them out, too.

And I love your sig. Nothing worse that people telling me they listen to hip hop and then tell me 50cent or Puff Daddy. They have no idea what Hip Hop is.

By the way, if you're a big Hip Hop fan checkout "Blackstar" by Blackstar.

Blackstar is actually Talib Kwali and Mos Def. It's a great, great record.

geshien
Holy....shit...

Warmen especially.

Thank you, may your day bring you joy. As Warmen has brought mine.

I definitely listen to the classics. ELP, Genesis, DT etc.

But man, some of these suggestions are mind blowing! Where have I been? Warmen kicks ass.

Glad to be of help. cool

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by D00m

There are better artists than those in your sig like Immortal Technique or Jedi Mind Trickz.
A good list nonetheless.

Pezmerga
How about Ayreon,Nightwish,Marillion, Rush, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, or Symphony X

geshien
Originally posted by Pezmerga
How about Ayreon,Nightwish,Marillion, Rush, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, or Symphony X

I've heard of Ayreon, but I've not listened to them.

Symphony X and Nightwish are more power (neo-classical) metal than prog. In fact I've never heard anyone call them prog.

AverageSavage
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Cave In

Holy handgrenade Batman! you're the first person i've ever seen who likes Cave In.

OT: Mastodon, Tool and Liquid Tension Experiment

Pezmerga
I've heard of Ayreon, but I've not listened to them.

Symphony X and Nightwish are more power (neo-classical) metal than prog. In fact I've never heard anyone call them prog.

Yeah but a Prog fan can appreciate their music. I didn't list bands to be told what genre of music they play. =P J/k

Ayreon is great. Personally, I love their latest album the best (01011001)
then I'd recommend The human Equation followed by Into the Electric Castle.

Also just thought of the Tangent, Phideaux and Porcupine Tree. If you haven't heard them yet...although Im sure you might have, at least Porcupine Tree anyway.

geshien
Yeah but a Prog fan can appreciate their music. I didn't list bands to be told what genre of music they play. =P J/k

No doubt.

Ayreon is great. Personally, I love their latest album the best (01011001)
then I'd recommend The human Equation followed by Into the Electric Castle.

I'll give them a listen. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I recognized them. Like I said, I know I've heard of them.

Also just thought of the Tangent, Phideaux and Porcupine Tree. If you haven't heard them yet...although Im sure you might have, at least Porcupine Tree anyway.

Porcupine Tree, yes. The others, no. Which is fine by me. I'm always looking for new music to listen to.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.