Eradicating the Evolutionary Burden of Morality

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Ethics and morals are the result of an outmoded way of life, something from an ancient, unenlightened time, one where superstition ruled next to dogma. If you grind life down to powder and run it through a sieve, you realize that there is nothing worth anything, that justice and mercy and duty and such quaint ideas are a lie fixed to our genetic code via evolutionary zeitgeist.

Thus, I ask of you: what are ways in which we can eradicate this burden to society? The most likely solution would be mandatory education in courses dealing with rationalism and the evolutionary development of morality in humans.

jaden101
No. Anything mandatory would suggest it's a duty and thus would be counter productive. JG Ballard showed an interesting concept in his novel "the drowned world" whereby all you need for human to devolve, not physically, but mentally, is for the earth to enviromentally change to a more primative state. He also explored the ways in which humans would devolve socially if they were part of a completely seperate society in his novel "High-Rise".

It's also been done in "Lord of the Flies" and numerous other works of fiction.

Simply remove enforced law and people will degenerate into a more primative method.

Although i don't like the idea of tacking on concepts such as morality and ethical responsibility onto genetics, Ballard did a good job in putting across the "genetic memory" concept in human behaviour.

As a scientist i find it totally bullshit but it's still entertaining.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Perhaps then colleges should require it as part of a liberal education, then.

Yes, but I'm not ready to live in a society of primitives. The people should be educated to a point where they understand that morality is an evolutionary burden, not to the point where they regress to mob rule.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Ethics and morals are the result of an outmoded way of life, something from an ancient, unenlightened time, one where superstition ruled next to dogma.

That seems like a pretty baseless statement.

Yes, but I'm not ready to live in a society of primitives. The people should be educated to a point where they understand that morality is an evolutionary burden, not to the point where they regress to mob rule.

So . . . you want people to make moral choices?

jaden101
Perhaps then colleges should require it as part of a liberal education, then.

1: Going to college is just another one of those "duties" that you speak of. You're effectively arguing for a college class that teaches people that things such as college classes shouldn't exist.

2: You'll be pleased to hear that there is growing evidence that human evolution is favouring psychopathic behaviours then.

http://www.human-nature.com/nibbs/01/psychopathy.html

Nephthys
Booze.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That seems like a pretty baseless statement.
Provide evidence that something is wrong. Rational, emotionless evidence.
Social contracts.

Symmetric Chaos
Provide evidence that something is wrong. Rational, emotionless evidence.

Burden of proof starts with you. I'd just like to hear (see) what you argument for "morals and ethics outmoded superstition" is.

Social contracts.

So you want your version of morality to be followed? How does this make you different from anyone else?

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101

2: You'll be pleased to hear that there is growing evidence that human evolution is favouring psychopathic behaviours then.

http://www.human-nature.com/nibbs/01/psychopathy.html

Going to read that later, as it looks interesting.

Friend of mind in the science/medical field once told me (that he read) that psychopathic behavior was an evolutionary adaption. E.G. If your tribe was in danger of losing food sources, land etc from an encroaching tribe, you needed certain individuals who could go out; slaughter the threat and have the mental makeup not to be adversely affected by said actions.

That anything to do with that article?

Toku King
Ethics and morals are the result of an outmoded way of life, something from an ancient, unenlightened time, one where superstition ruled next to dogma. If you grind life down to powder and run it through a sieve, you realize that there is nothing worth anything, that justice and mercy and duty and such quaint ideas are a lie fixed to our genetic code via evolutionary zeitgeist.

Thus, I ask of you: what are ways in which we can eradicate this burden to society? The most likely solution would be mandatory education in courses dealing with rationalism and the evolutionary development of morality in humans.

...Have you ever heard of a swastika?

Robtard
Originally posted by Toku King
...Have you ever heard of a swastika?

http://en.epochtimes.com/news_images/2004-9-3-buddha_with_swastika.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
I knew Buddah was a reverse-Nazi!

Robtard
A coin has two sides, it's still the same coin.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Robtard
A coin has two sides, it's still the same coin.

A coin has no side. It has three faces stick out tongue

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Going to read that later, as it looks interesting.

Friend of mind in the science/medical field once told me (that he read) that psychopathic behavior was an evolutionary adaption. E.G. If your tribe was in danger of losing food sources, land etc from an encroaching tribe, you needed certain individuals who could go out; slaughter the threat and have the mental makeup not to be adversely affected by said actions.

That anything to do with that article?

It is an interesting read indeed. I 1st heard the theory on a criminology website in an article called "the evolution of psychopathy" and liked it's premise. In the last 5 years a fair bit of published work has been done on the idea.

It's not so much about killing as just the selfish aspects of a psyhcotics personality that makes sure that whatever in their genetic and psycological make up gets passed on to another generation. Things like the ability to fake sympathy and empathy when none is really felt simply in order to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable situation.

For example. I got it on with a girl from work last night because she was upset because her ex was giving her grief in a nightclub last night. I'm actually pretty good mates with him but told him to **** off and then stood there trying to calm her down just so i could take her up the road and **** the shit outta her. laughing

Genesis
The people should be educated to a point where they understand that morality is an evolutionary burden, not to the point where they regress to mob rule.

You just took a moral stance. Lol?

Symmetric Chaos
It's not so much about killing as just the selfish aspects of a psyhcotics personality that makes sure that whatever in their genetic and psycological make up gets passed on to another generation. Things like the ability to fake sympathy and empathy when none is really felt simply in order to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable situation.

In order to manipulate someone they have to assume you're relatively trsutworthy. So psychopathy is only an advantage when a large majority of people are not psychopaths.

Robtard
For example. I got it on with a girl from work last night because she was upset because her ex was giving her grief in a nightclub last night. I'm actually pretty good mates with him but told him to **** off and then stood there trying to calm her down just so i could take her up the road and **** the shit outta her. laughing

Opportunistic bastard.

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.