Superman vs Thor vs Silver Surfer: Who is the smartest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
Ok, taking a break from the age old debates of who is more powerful, my question is who is the smartest of the 3?

Grinning Goku
Superman, I'd wager.

kgkg
not Thor

Wild Shadow
SS ftw

xJLxKing
Superman

D_Dude1210
Depends what you mean by "smarter". Supes is supposed to have supersmarts but you often see him punching stuff more often than using his brain for solving problems. stick out tongue

Surfer also has Cosmic Awareness w/c is a deeper level of "intelligence" (more like awareness) but he's often a pure idiot with his powers sometimes...

I'd say Superman in the basic sense of the word "smart", tho.

quanchi112
Originally posted by kgkg
not Thor He definitely takes third place here.

psycho gundam
if superman was brought up on krypton, i'd give it to him. surfer was brought up on zen-la immersed in education (zen-lavians are scholors due to years of pacifism) for ...like at least several centuries, and then all the knowledge available to him from his life with cosmic awareness.

surfer on average wins in my opinion, with superman a close second considering his high showings.

Enyalus
Gotta say Kal, here.

He rarely gets a chance to show it off, though. But FC was a good example of it.

Slaanesh
SS

occultdestroyer
Superman

shokosugi
Growing up with the Kents makes Supes the smartest hero in the world for he is the most human of all superheroes.

Slaanesh
Originally posted by shokosugi
Growing up with the Kents makes Supes the smartest hero in the world for he is the most human of all superheroes.

growing up with the Kents makes him a boy scout..not the smartest hero..

guy222
Norrin
Clark
Thor

Avlon
Originally posted by psycho gundam
if superman was brought up on krypton, i'd give it to him. surfer was brought up on zen-la immersed in education (zen-lavians are scholors due to years of pacifism) for ...like at least several centuries, and then all the knowledge available to him from his life with cosmic awareness.

surfer on average wins in my opinion, with superman a close second considering his high showings.

Just LOL @ this trash.

Supes ftw here easily.

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by kgkg
not Thor

Lord Feron
SS

D_Dude1210
Originally posted by guy222
Norrin
Clark
Thor

Nah, it should be:

1) Clark
2) Norrin
3) Norrin's Board
4) Clark's Cape
5) Mjolnir
6) Thor

DarkOdin
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
Nah, it should be:

1) Clark
2) Norrin
3) Norrin's Board
4) Clark's Cape
5) Mjolnir
6) Thor

laughing

The Nuul
SS

Avlon
Nah, it should be:

1) Clark
2) Norrin
3) Norrin's Board
4) Clark's Cape
5) Mjolnir
6) Thor

LOL... Thor isn't that bad.

D_Dude1210
Originally posted by Avlon

big grin

Mindship
Depends what you mean by smartest, but in terms of most creative/intelligent use of powers: Superman.

nimbus006
Surfer has a wider array of knowledge simply due to the fact that he spent centuries traversing the Universe. He's seen countless worlds and civilizations. However, knowledge and application are very different. Superman is probably more intelligent when it comes to figuring out the solution to a dilemma.

Thorion
Originally posted by Mindship
Depends what you mean by smartest, but in terms of most creative/intelligent use of powers: Superman.

Yes, because it takes intelligence to use a brick powerset and occasional HV.

Kris Blaze
Let's see

- Surfer w/cosmic awareness
- Superman with his super intelligence, senses, etc
- Thor with his alter ego Donald Blake...

JakeTheBank
Thor's not stupid by any means. While he does take third place here, his experience sharing his soul with Donald Blake and the other mortal hosts has given him plenty of insight into the world of science and medicine. Take into consideration his experience with the Avengers and his adventures in Asgard and other realms, and Thor is not some brutish idiot.

DarkOdin
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Thor's not stupid by any means. While he does take third place here, his experience sharing his soul with Donald Blake and the other mortal hosts has given him plenty of insight into the world of science and medicine. Take into consideration his experience with the Avengers and his adventures in Asgard and other realms, and Thor is not some brutish idiot.

agreed i remember he once as Thor preformed surgery on someone in a park.

The Pict
Nah, it should be:

1) Clark
2) Norrin
3) Norrin's Board
4) Clark's Cape
5) Mjolnir
6) Thor

laughing out loud

shokosugi
Originally posted by DarkOdin
agreed i remember he once as Thor preformed surgery on someone in a park.

LOL

DarkOdin
Originally posted by shokosugi
LOL

You should see it red norvel was the "nurse" lol

guy222
Nah, it should be:

1) Clark
2) Norrin
3) Norrin's Board
4) Clark's Cape
5) Mjolnir
6) Thor

big grin

Vanlore
Well this is interesting because you can look at smart in 2 different ways.. One person could have vastly more knowledge in any given area, while the other has less knowledge but superior ability to reason and or learn. But is having a greater knowledge better than possessing greater reasoning or vies versa? Knowledge is superior in relation to it being closer to the vastness of the knowledge. Reason is superior in relation to it being the building block of knowledge and its basis.

The conclusion is that knowledge is superior in its essence while the superiority of reason is in its being a means to attaining knowledge. But between us I would rather have superiority of reasoning over my foes than knowledge but I'm getting off subject now. stick out tongue

Well Superman has spent the majority of his time on earth so I am not sure how far above he is from his home (earth) as he is from his birth planet. I wonder about how advanced SS planet was when it got eaten. I'm sure surfer has been to many worlds but it would be hard to pick which one is smarter... I'll have to think about this some more confused

Enyalus
Originally posted by Avlon

Iron Man's home security system recognized Mjolnir as a sentient being. So it could very well be smarter than Thor. no expression

Juntai
Someone tell me when Surfer or Thor uses tech to create his very own personal dimension that is intrinsically linked to his own biomatrix.

Although it's often disregarded by writers who want to him as a down to Earth boy from Kansas. He can be downright like Reed Richards at times.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Juntai
Someone tell me when Surfer or Thor uses tech to create his very own personal dimension that is intrinsically linked to his own biomatrix.

Although it's often disregarded by writers who want to him as a down to Earth boy from Kansas. He can be downright like Reed Richards at times. it's PIS then isn't it? that's a super high feat that like you said, most writers are like "not in my book he's not". i agree that superman is pretty intelligent and has an eidetic memory to boot, but the writers have a point wanting to "forget" that feat.

Mindset
If by like RR you mean vastly inferior, then yes. uhuh

Enyalus
Originally posted by Mindset
If by like RR you mean vastly inferior, then yes. uhuh

Reed is definitely full of fail, I agree.

And probably gay. I mean, if your wife looked like Sue, wouldn't she be pregnant a whole lot more often?

Mindset
Maybe she has invisible babies

D_Dude1210
Originally posted by Enyalus
Reed is definitely full of fail, I agree.

And probably gay. I mean, if your wife looked like Sue, wouldn't she be pregnant a whole lot more often?

Basically because I think if Sue has a headache, ain't no way ur getting any tonite...

And all those force fields she makes kinda gives her a headache all the time.

Mindship
Originally posted by Thorion
Yes, because it takes intelligence to use a brick powerset and occasional HV. ...to use them creatively (ie, to achieve results that a simple straighforward use of a limited powerset wouldn't otherwise be able to do).

Thor and the Surfer especially often seem to forget 90% of what their powersets can really do.

skygunner41
Originally posted by Mindship
...to use them creatively (ie, to achieve results that a simple straighforward use of a limited powerset wouldn't otherwise be able to do).

Thor and the Surfer especially often seem to forget 90% of what their powersets can really do.

both were not that bright.

Juntai
Originally posted by psycho gundam
it's PIS then isn't it? that's a super high feat that like you said, most writers are like "not in my book he's not". i agree that superman is pretty intelligent and has an eidetic memory to boot, but the writers have a point wanting to "forget" that feat. No, they just prefer to stick to different aspects of his character in their stories sometimes. It's not that he's UNABLE to do it, they just don't write about it, because there's so many directions that can be taken with a character with a rich history like Superman. You can tell a story about Superman the greatest hero, you can tell a story about Superman the scientist. You can tell a story about the Man in Superman. You can tell a morally charged story of consequences. You can tell spacey sci-fi stories. There's simply so many directions to go, it's almost endless. Although fan reaction was mixed about For Tomorrow, it's clear that DC holds in regard as one of the better Superman stories to hit his main books in some time, being why it's getting an Absolute Edition.

Enyalus
...'For Tomorrow' did suck. And I like Superman normally (except the brief Countdown run in AC with Mister Action.)

Mindship
Originally posted by skygunner41
both were not that bright. I can't speak for Thor (so to speak), but the Surfer is "dumbed-down" regarding how he uses his powers so writers can place him in peril w/o having to constantly stretch their imaginations.

It's kind of like, "What do you get for the guy who has everything? You take away some of what he already has so you can get him something.

This is one of the problems with open powersets.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.