Up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KingD19
Carl Fredricksen (Edward Asner) is a retired 78-year-old baloon salesman. When Carl was a child, he met and eventually married a girl named Ellie who grew up in a small midwestern town. Ellie always dreamed of visiting South America, but she died before she got a chance. Now, when developers threaten to move him into an assisted living home, Carl decides to fulfill his promise to Ellie. To accomplish this, he uses a huge number of balloons to make the house fly - but unwittingly takes a chubby eight-year-old Wilderness Explorer named Russell with him. The two opposites match up for thrilling adventures as they encounter wild terrain, unexpected foes, and all the terrifying creatures that wait in the jungle.

This is the Disney movie with the little kid who sucks at making the animal noises. Thoughts?

celestialdemon
SQUIRREL!!!

edwinian
This movie is going to be great! I love that it will be in 3-D... I mean Pixar animation in 2-D is stellar, but now in 3-D?? Plus their stories are always entertaining. In this new featurette John Lasseter says that this is the funniest Pixar film yet. I've laughed plenty at their films in the past, so really hoping this one will have some excellent jokes.

BackFire
I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie.

MildPossession
It doesn't look as good as all the others but I will still see it because it's Pixar! It didn't get such high praise as the others before when it was shown at Cannes. I don't think it will be this years WALL.E.

Impediment
I'll probably wait for dvd on this one. I love Pixar's work, however, I just don't see this as a blockbuster (as far as animated films go) of the year. Still, I love a good Pixar movie. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

BruceSkywalker
I saw this and surprisingly I liked it..

it had a decent story and animation was pretty good

botankus
I don't usually say that many movies are worth the $30 I spent on Friday night to go see it, but I will for this one.

Quincy
Im excited to check this out. Pixar is godly.

Prince Nauj
Saw it a couple hours ago. I really enjoyed this move. Pixar never disapoints me smile

Scythe
Must go see this...

SnakeEyes
Saw this last night. I liked it a lot, but I enjoyed Wall-e more.

MildPossession
A friend has seen it and she said it's fabulous!

WO Polaski
this movie was excellent. despite Ellie not necessarily having a very big role i identified with the character a lot and the theme behind her had a large impact on me.

a must see i feel. i think anyone who'd waste money on seeing something useless like terminator should definitely spend the 8 bucks to see this movie.

roughrider
Beautiful film - I teared up after the prologue. PIXAR's artistry puts Dreamworks to shame.
I wonder where to rank it in their library - not as high as WALL-E (my favourite) but certainly in the top five of their ten films.

SnakeEyes
A lot of people told me how sad the prologue/montage/first ten minutes were, so I was prepared for something pretty heartwrenching and when I actually saw it, I didn't even come close to tearing up. Neither did the two friends I saw it with. Maybe we just don't have souls.

occultdestroyer
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show

The last part of the article made my eyes swell up.

BackFire
She's from my town, so I've been hearing a lot about this.

Yeah, very sad and moving story.

Quincy
Saw this earlier tonight. My god what a film. Truly a wonderful picture.

BackFire
I just saw it. Absolutely gorgeous and touching film. Just a sheer joy to watch and experience. There were two scenes in this movie where I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire audience.

Amazing movie, best of the year so far, by a mile.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BackFire
I just saw it. Absolutely gorgeous and touching film. Just a sheer joy to watch and experience. There were two scenes in this movie where I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire audience.

My eyes were dry the entire time. no expression

But even so, there were a few touching moments in this film. Pixar always seems to deliver on the emotional front moreso than many other animated films/companies.

BackFire
I'd say moreso than most other animated or non animated films.

SnakeEyes
That's true. For me though, I think there'll always be a barrier that keeps me from being as emotionally moved by animation as opposed to live action.

Neo Darkhalen
In terms of villainy what is the villain like, personality wise and how to does he rack up to previous villains in Disney or at least pixar history?

kgkg
Recently watch this movie. All I can say is that it's amazing.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
In terms of villainy what is the villain like, personality wise and how to does he rack up to previous villains in Disney or at least pixar history?

He definitely isn't one with 'power'. The guy is painted out to be this great explorer in the beginning, but he turns out to be an insane old fart that gets greedy (can you blame him though, isolation can do that) and is willing to kill. Kudos to him for training all those dogs and inventing the voice translator though.

Alpha is the other villain, and his voice and style of speech are a freaking hoot & full of WIN. That's all I need to say about the dude (dog).

Originally posted by BackFire

When Ellie (damn, she was pretty when she got married) dies is one. I admit, I was severely bummed when I saw that she couldn't get pregnant, and later when she died. I can only imagine Carl's feelings during the days after Ellie's death.

I can't quite remember the other moment as there were quite a few of those touching/sad ones. The final scene of the house got an 'AWWWW' from nearly every single person in the cinema. Marvelous end.

~ Best Pixar film I've seen, only Ratatouille and The Incredibles are worthy imo. I'm just surprised Up wasn't directed by Brad Bird. Pete Docter and Bob Peterson did a fantastic job though.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen

He's pretty much an obsessed old man that refuses to fail.

As far as villains go, he's a really awesome nemesis. Despite his age, he's very intimidating and ruthless.

Scythe
Finally bought this after missing it in theaters. it was great. Glad I found the Blu-Ray/Dvd combo thingy for fifteen bucks. It was such a nice movie.

MildPossession

Scythe

One Free Man
beginning=good movie. middle=funny movie middle end/dramatic climax=shitty "meet the robin sons" movie. End=good movie.

Samurai100
Just saw it and i was really good

roughrider
BEST PICTURE NOMINATION! Yes! Happy Dance

Plus nominations for original screenplay, original score (which it SHOULD win), sound & animated feature.

I know it's not the favourite, but it's a bit of justice for PIXAR to get this recognition.

MildPossession
I'd rather see other films win Best Film, but it definitely deserves to win Best Animation.

sufi
I saw UP last month and it was an amazing movie. The story was very touching and brought tears to my eyes. I'll definitely vote YES for this to win best animation movie.

SnakeEyes
Am I the only one who thinks this movie suffers from the villain/his army of dogs and some of the jokes associated with them? Everytime the movie gets touching, it goes back to dogs flying airplanes or something zany like that. I guess it IS a family film, but still.

Vinity
Amazing visual effects.

Amazing sound.

Hilarious comedy.

maham
didn't like it that muchsad was cute but not as I had expected thinking it had won an academy award.

ankur29
this movie was sad at the start but a great film 10/10

KurtRussellCrow
One of my favorite Pixar movies. Tho they always do an excellent job, Up in my opinion went above and beyond. Squirrel!!

K.Diddy
beer This movie was indeed good for an animated film,I personally wouldn't buy it though

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.